Author Topic: Our Most Desperate Hour  (Read 922 times)

Mentalshock

• Boss
Our Most Desperate Hour
« on: November 28, 2012, 04:08:45 AM »
(I am just a player of the game, like the rest of you, but I have a gift for words, that while probably not on par with our author-in-residence, has usually been enough to encourage people when they need it most, so I turn to this gift now, and offer these words.)

We now enter into the darkest days of our shared reality.   Though our lives will go on after this day, we all lose something valuable yet intangible.   Could we honestly explain the impact that this game has had on our lives without remembering the struggle we have found ourselves fighting?  There is no  true enemy, no vile plot, no earth-shattering kaboom, (no matter how much we might want one...) there is just.... business.   We find ourselves facing the extermination of our second home, a place where many of us feel safer than we do in our actual lives, and it certainly seems that we have no power to stop this from happening.     

This is not true, my friends, because there is one power we all of us share.   The power of a single voice CANNOT be underestimated.  Where on our own we will falter and fail, speaking as one voice for the millions that have sprung from our imaginations, we WILL certainly be heard.  Already we have seen the Leviathan that threatens us blink at the sound of our fury,  and yet again, even in the hopelessness that looms before us, others yet hear the call.   What we ask, seems impossible.   The mountains in  our way seem insurmountable.   By all rights, we should be swept away by this rising tide.  Yet we still stand here, together, staring back at the abyss that seems to grow ever wider.

What reason do we have to fight this?   It is only a game, isn't it?  It's not something of flesh and blood, it's not something of code and hardware.  It is our imagination, our stories.    I dare to suggest this:  It is not for ourselves that we fight this destiny that appears set in stone, it is for a Dream Called Paragon.

Desiderantes Meliorem Mundi
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:50:15 AM by Mentalshock »

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: Our Most Desperate Hour
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 06:44:44 AM »
Code? Hardware? The game is made of stories. We fight to preserve those stories and the growth of new ones.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:47:40 AM »
If any of you are members of any other fangroup that brought its focus back from the brink (or from death) please, please go to them and beg for them to help.  They just might see a reflection of themselves in us.  Browncoats.  Trekkies.  Galacticans.  Please.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:49:47 AM »
Actually, there's a 'not' missing in there.  I'll have to edit it.