Author Topic: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM  (Read 177271 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2012, 02:03:20 AM »
Here's one I haven't seen asked, yet:
Should we be sending your agent or Jim Baen rolls of Tums? :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2012, 02:19:39 AM »
Here's one I haven't seen asked, yet:
Should we be sending your agent or Jim Baen rolls of Tums? :)

Well Jim is dead, so you'd have to dissolve the Tums and pour them over his grave.

Actually, neither.  At the moment, what I am doing is not conflicting with anything; writing that damn pitch package used a whole different set of mental muscles than writing creatively.  I'm also learning some extremely useful skills from Ammon, Rae, and Brian.

And I think everyone understands how important CoH was to keeping me sane.  Keep author sane, so author writes good books....
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2012, 02:22:10 AM »
Well Jim is dead, so you'd have to dissolve the Tums and pour them over his grave.

Actually, neither.  At the moment, what I am doing is not conflicting with anything; writing that damn pitch package used a whole different set of mental muscles than writing creatively.  I'm also learning some extremely useful skills from Ammon, Rae, and Brian.

And I think everyone understands how important CoH was to keeping me sane.  Keep author sane, so author writes good books....

* DrakeGrimm hugs VV
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2012, 02:25:40 AM »
Keep author sane, so author writes good books....
Sounds like the literary version of "Happy wife, happy life."
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2012, 02:26:50 AM »
Sounds like the literary version of "Happy wife, happy life."

Or "If momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy." (yes, I'm aware it's grammatically incorrect.)
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2012, 02:40:33 AM »

Sorry. I'd forgotten that. That sounds like something my wife, with her perpetual heartburn, would put in her will, though.

My letter is written to Mr. Nicolai, and I'll get the next one written, tomorrow. The game has helped us all, and you and the other Wildcards have outdone yourselves with this.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2012, 02:43:58 AM »
What I like best about this proposition is provides NCSoft with a face saving way out of bad situation.  If George Lucas could sell a massive money maker like Star Wars to Disney, NCSoft could easily sell a small time money maker like Cox to Disney.

The volume of publicity the sale would generate for NCSoft would definitely be worth far more to them than CoX.  'Doing deals with Disney' might well mean to some people that a company has 'arrived'.

If someone hasn't already done it, a picture of George Lucas with the captions - "I dont' often sell my IP.  But when I do, I sell it to Disney" would pretty much sum my point.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2012, 03:06:17 AM »
Ironically, selling to Disney might be the one thing that can save NCSoft from having its stock nosedive further.  Heck, it might even make the stock recover.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2012, 03:07:39 AM »
Still not clear on a few things...the rumors are that, post-shutdown, NCSoft will be a lot more reasonable about selling the CoH IP, mostly for legal reasons (not that I am saying those reasons are reasonable, but there are other threads about that). 

Is the reason for pushing for Disney is because there seems little chance of any other entity (Valve, one of the other game companies, or a brand-new entity like Titan Studios on a Kickstarter) coming up with enough cash to interest them?    Disney is probably the only possible player who could "make them an offer they can't refuse", but does there seem to be any chance that ANYONE else can make an offer they would accept?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 03:19:05 AM by epawtows »

Quinch

« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2012, 03:09:51 AM »
It's more like because, even though they can doesn't mean that they will. NCsoft's leadership has been shown to act like petulant, spoiled and spiteful children before, the fact alone that they can sell CoH and it would benefit the company doesn't really guarantee anything.

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2012, 03:12:13 AM »
How much is postage and how cheap could it be? (Depending on area/connections/currency etc)

If people could write a letter from their computer, and email it to someone else to send (Or post it somewhere), you'd probably get 5x as many letters. I've got a lot of friends that started when they were 6 years old and aren't comfortable mailing letters yet. After that, I have even more lazy friends that could write a letter but will never leave their room to send it. I know sending an email isn't as meaningful, but the content will be just as good, and the large quantity would be nice.

I know one person volunteered to send it for others, but unsure if he's prepared to send hundreds if he gets them.

If someone could get something together for something like that, might be a huge turnout.

We could even go to the forums and get people to post their letters there.

Just an idea, albeit an expensive one.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2012, 03:20:50 AM »

Cold Bob

• Minion
« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2012, 03:43:28 AM »
Will get right on this tomorrow morning, with four separate letters to the four addresses listed at the top of this thread.

That might be two hours of work, writing it all out carefully by hand (enclosing a typed "reproduction" of my handwritten letters) but this Call to Action is worth taking two hours out of my last week in Paragon City, and trying to make an impact...

Let's go, team!

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2012, 04:01:14 AM »
How much is postage and how cheap could it be? (Depending on area/connections/currency etc)
Well, from the UK, the cost for all four was under half the price of one month's subscription that you can't pay to CoH anymore, so redirect that money to good use.

Seriously, this is why it is so important to post a hard copy.  If you can't spend a few bucks to save the game, how can Disney be expected to believe you are willing to pay for the game in other ways?  This is our chance to show, to prove, that CoH is still a good investment.  Anyone can say they care.  As the saying goes, it's time to put our money where our mouths are.  Talk is cheap ... a stamp ain't that much more, but at least it shows willing :)

Surelle

« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2012, 04:12:58 AM »
What I really wonder though is this:  If supposedly NCSoft's selling price is going to drop quite a bit after CoH closes down, then why can't Brian Clayton and his original backers, or the original titan folks who made offers, or even Valve if they truly did offer to buy CoH originally, go back and make a second offer after CoH closes?

Why does someone totally new have to go in and make a pitch to buy it?

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2012, 04:14:50 AM »
My letters have been sent out.  I've been notifying unaware people on Beta server of the efforts here, to drum up more support.

Badaxe

• Underling
« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2012, 04:21:25 AM »
Good move Mercedes, best to leave no stone unturned!

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2012, 05:03:43 AM »
What I really wonder though is this:  If supposedly NCSoft's selling price is going to drop quite a bit after CoH closes down, then why can't Brian Clayton and his original backers, or the original titan folks who made offers, or even Valve if they truly did offer to buy CoH originally, go back and make a second offer after CoH closes?

Because more people interested in acquiring the IP is better for us, and more importantly having the money to HIRE as much of the original Paragon Studios staff as possible is key..

Also you need to market and promote the game AND also have the money to develop future projects ( CoH2)..

Disney has that money.. and they have the clout.. it cannot hurt in any way shape or form in Disney gets on board..

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #158 on: November 27, 2012, 05:14:24 AM »

I can't speak for Brian Clayton and his original backers.  But I can guess that it is possible they have lost interest or found some other project to invest in, or don't want to try and rebuild the whole system from scratch rather than simply taking it over from NCSoft.  Any or all of those is certainly possible.

I also can't speak for the original titan folks who made offers.

Valve was NEVER confirmed as making an offer.  That never went beyond rumor.

Given that, we opted to aim for the top first, rather than aiming for the bottom.  It's easier to work down, than up. 

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #159 on: November 27, 2012, 06:25:54 AM »
Well mine and my daughter's letters are written, though hers will be color photocopied and then hand-drawn on as her eyes got huge when I told her we needed four copies.  ;D I expect to get them out on Wednesday after completing some art projects to include.

I downloaded the press release and sent it to a friend who runs a Disney blog/forum thing.  Not sure that anything will be done with it, but hey,worth a shot.  He's been asking me about the City of Heroes stuff since the beginning, and even wanted to give the game a try (though he couldn't thanks to account creation being locked out).