Author Topic: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM  (Read 177249 times)

Shadowhawke

• Minion
Re: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM
« Reply #280 on: December 01, 2012, 09:22:28 AM »
NCSoft could care less about western markets.  Their money is right there in their own part of the world.  They don't need us.  And don't want us.  Google Korean business practices.  Sorry, I want COH to stay as much as the next person, but not going to happen.

Well, we'll all see how that turns out. Yes, Asia has a large gamer population, but guess what, so does Europe, Canada and the United States. We'll see how well NC thinks they've planned their little venture, being as revenues have already fallen in the midst of all this.

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #281 on: December 01, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »
Ah, the official forums close, and as if by magic, my little pony with a horn start to appear.  What a surprise.  First post Yesterday, total of 2 posts, both negative with not one creative thought.

Have you anything to say other than naysaying?  If you have nothing to add to the discussion, maybe you shouldn't.  What do you think will work?  I mean, anything is possible, (unless you are one of those weirdoes that think putting men on the moon never happened).  Everyone has their price (even if it isn't always monetary).  Let's hear your better plan.  Come dazzle us with your brilliance, oh mighty one-horned one!

Quinch

« Reply #282 on: December 01, 2012, 09:35:54 AM »
Self preservation of what, exactly?

Reputation.

They've lost money in the second quarter.

Guild Wars is underperforming.

Blade and Soul might not even launch in China, world's biggest MMO market.

Their stocks have fallen down a staircase, showing that even their investors don't trust them anymore.

The press questions their decisions on their home ground.

Losing money, losing confidence, losing customers... they're one refused cash offer for a buried franchise short of becoming the laughingstock of the business world.

no hero

• Lieutenant
  • Regens "do it" solo! :)
« Reply #283 on: December 01, 2012, 10:07:54 AM »
Isn't this all dependent on NCSoft being willing to sell?  Good luck with that.  Even the mouse has a budget limit.

Self preservation of what, exactly?  NCSoft could care less about western markets.  Their money is right there in their own part of the world.  They don't need us.  And don't want us.  Google Korean business practices.  Sorry, I want COH to stay as much as the next person, but not going to happen.

With all due respect to an elder forum member, what exactly are you trying to convey?  Possibly you have a new goal, a different direction, or a plan of action that would be the driving force in finally voicing your thoughts. Since words of encouragement are missing from these posts, there must be something insightful hidden within the venom.

Samantha:  "I have to ask you a question. It's a good one so think about it. If a Player and a Game love each other, but they just can't seem to get it together, when do you get to that point of enough is enough?"

Jerry:  "Never."

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #284 on: December 01, 2012, 10:32:10 AM »
I remember when I was younger collecting Marvel comics, Marvel bought and took over a really small comic company.  I don't remember the name of it but their main character was Prime.  Some of their characters were kind of neat.  Anyways, I don't see how acquiring a few new heroes would do Marvel any harm.  They would have a lot to gain from it actually.  I'd buy Freedom Phalanx #1.

(LOL at myself for crying more, for saying I was going to log but instead reading and posting.  Pardon me, I'm bereft.)

I saved all of my comicbooks apart from Caspar and Wendy until my middle 30s and would re-read many of them (e.g. Jean Grey/Phoenix to Black Queen to Dark Phoenix) until my early 20s when Science Fiction and well written Fantasy novels became more to my taste.  I still cherished my old comics well enough to give them to a friend who's a collector and who I felt would be better able to care for them.  (His passion for comicbooks far exceeds my own.)  But Oh, what a delight to enjoy all the nostalgic pleasure of those comicbooks with the fun of creating my own characters in a highly enjoyable format, and then connecting as fans do with so many diverse players.  Anyhow, if memory serves Marvel and DC published a number of cross-universe "specials" featuring characters from the other "rival" company.  The signature City of Heroes characters would work easily as a stand alone, cross over, or fully integrated into Marvel or for that matter DC.   I feel we got to play Issues 1-4 of Freedom Phalanx I with the second Signature Story arc.  I also feel that Praetorian/Primal Earth stories CoH delivered enough content and maturity to make an engaging comic even without the MMO.  (Man, I came to love Ghost Widow, especially as Belladonna Vetrano and her showdown with Praetor Sinclair .)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Shadowhawke

• Minion
« Reply #285 on: December 01, 2012, 10:53:03 AM »
Anyhow, if memory serves Marvel and DC published a number of cross-universe "specials" featuring characters from the other "rival" company.  The signature City of Heroes characters would work easily as a stand alone, cross over, or fully integrated into Marvel or for that matter DC.   I feel we got to play Issues 1-4 of Freedom Phalanx I with the second Signature Story arc.  I also feel that Praetorian/Primal Earth stories CoH delivered enough content and maturity to make an engaging comic even without the MMO.  (Man, I came to love Ghost Widow, especially as Belladonna Vetrano and her showdown with Praetor Sinclair .)

And that is one of the true beauties of the game. It was not just a MMO that was closest to GURPS or the like, with the epic, massive customization. It's that Paragon Studios built a large pantheon of heroes and villains, given a daunting task. Comic giants like DC and Marvel have been in production for many decades, but yet Paragon City gave us something nearly as epic and sizable that, in my view, stands up nicely to all that. I really do think Disney etc. would gain a great asset with this.

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #286 on: December 01, 2012, 06:08:54 PM »
So I'm posting this here so that it gets a bit more noticed.
http://fav.me/d5mr4h2

It was suggested on the other thread that I send these to Disney instead of my original plan of NCSoft because of the time that they were completed. And I agree, seeing as Disney is the better choice at this time and I feel that they will be more appreciative of this package. (When you wish upon a star...) So what I need to know now is;

1: Where and who to send them to

2: What to include in the note along with it
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #287 on: December 01, 2012, 08:28:35 PM »
Gonna do this either tonight or tomorrow night.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #288 on: December 01, 2012, 08:37:32 PM »
So I'm posting this here so that it gets a bit more noticed.
http://fav.me/d5mr4h2

It was suggested on the other thread that I send these to Disney instead of my original plan of NCSoft because of the time that they were completed. And I agree, seeing as Disney is the better choice at this time and I feel that they will be more appreciative of this package. (When you wish upon a star...) So what I need to know now is;

1: Where and who to send them to

2: What to include in the note along with it

First post in this thread should give you the answer to both questions.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #289 on: December 01, 2012, 08:40:17 PM »
Ah, the official forums close, and as if by magic, my little pony with a horn start to appear. 

Psst... If you feed it, it will never leave!

Randomvector

• Lieutenant
« Reply #290 on: December 01, 2012, 09:51:51 PM »
Sitting down to write my letters and I can't seem to put my thoughts in order.

Any advice?

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #291 on: December 01, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »
Write about why COH was special to you, and why you think that Disney should be the ones to bring it back to life, perhaps?
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #292 on: December 01, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »
First post in this thread should give you the answer to both questions.

Right! :roll: Not sure why I didnt think to check that.
Although I was also wondering what to write refering to the "make 1000 paper cranes, get a wish" bit connecting with Disney magic. (what I'm asking makes more sense in my head)
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #293 on: December 01, 2012, 11:42:14 PM »
Right! :roll: Not sure why I didnt think to check that.
Although I was also wondering what to write refering to the "make 1000 paper cranes, get a wish" bit connecting with Disney magic. (what I'm asking makes more sense in my head)

The unofficial Disney Theme Song has been, from the first days of the TV show, "When You Wish Upon A Star" from Pinocchio.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #294 on: December 01, 2012, 11:43:54 PM »
I've been countering the Marvel argument with the difference in style of games. Seems to at least change their objection, most times.

I've been counteirng it by saying that if the Star Trek franchise was up for sale, Disney wouldn't turn it down :P
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:17:33 AM by Golden Girl »
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #295 on: December 02, 2012, 02:14:12 AM »
^ That.  Star Trek, Tron, Star Wars, Marvel... all under the Mouse's control.  They'd be just fine with that.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #296 on: December 02, 2012, 03:17:43 AM »
All right, here's a question for you folks.

We know how many MMORPGs have been closed (15).

But how many either STILL stay open even with a handful of players, and how many were REVIVED after shutdown?  That could be a very useful set of numbers for Team Wildcard.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #297 on: December 02, 2012, 03:23:44 AM »
Argh! The Wildcard name still makes me wish... Any chance you know George R.R.???
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Sleepy Wonder

• Boss
  • MWM: Programmer, UI Designer, Bases
« Reply #298 on: December 02, 2012, 06:10:50 AM »
All right, here's a question for you folks.

We know how many MMORPGs have been closed (15).

But how many either STILL stay open even with a handful of players, and how many were REVIVED after shutdown?  That could be a very useful set of numbers for Team Wildcard.

Does this one count? Never heard of it, but it mentions Nexon. Oct 31, 2012

http://www.mmoculture.com/2012/10/legend-of-edda-game-revives-in-korea-under-new-publisher/

Technically though the article mentions the shutdown was due to a "temporary break" while the publisher re-structured itself.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #299 on: December 02, 2012, 06:37:43 AM »
Would APB count? It was closed because of financial problems that left the makers bankrupt.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com