Author Topic: Catching Lightning in a bottle  (Read 1577 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Catching Lightning in a bottle
« on: November 22, 2012, 01:11:19 PM »
I think it was Mercedes Lackey who said something very much like the following recently and it stuck with me:

It matters less where an idea came from so much as what you DO with it.

The staff of Paragon studios may have pulled together ideas from old Champions campaigns. In those campaigns they may have used published villains like Dr. Destroyer or Mechanon (who have been around in the lore since 1980!).

But when they started making City of Heroes in the early 2000s, and started tweaking and changing things, there's a point past which you are no longer "filing the serial numbers off" but fully watching a NEW idea take form. Like what became the villain Nemesis for example.

This is pure speculation on my part - but I could easily see Nemesis having first gained his own identity in the writing process by melding concepts from Dr. Destroyer and Mechanon. And then adding the retro steampunk theme. By the time they added the Machiavellian plotting typical of Nemesis and his internal motivations, you've got a completely new and unique character. 

When I first picked up City of Heroes in the fall of 2004, I could clearly see some of the fingerprints of the homages. But just as clearly I could see the originality. Where Champions had VIPER, City of Heroes had The Fifth Column. Similar style endpoint, COMPLETELY different background details. The street gangs had much in common in a broad sense to some I've seen in Batman - but again - the Skulls and the Hellions were their own thing, not ripoffs.

The Rikti in general physical form were obvious homages to the Alien invaders from countless Sci-Fi films, most notably ID4. Again - it was what was DONE with the concept that made them unique. And if you delved all the way into the deep lore underlying what and who they were... you were rewarded with one of the most outrageous and original twists on the concept I have EVER seen. It's literally something that would make you rock back in your chair staring slack-jawed at the screen saying - "I did NOT see THAT one coming!" (Hint - the Rikti are NOT what they seem. Not even close.)

City of Heroes may have referenced many of the same sources of classic and popular mythology as did Champions and DCUO.

But it's what they DID with that inspiration that set them head and shoulders above the others.

This is just one example of what NCSoft is murdering.

It's another reason why we mourn not just the loss of the game, but the treatment and lack of respect shown to some of the most STAGGERINGLY TALENTED writers, artists and game programmers the industry has ever seen.

And possibly unique in the gaming industry, they bonded with us, the community, and had our respect, even when we disagreed with some of their choices. We could never, ever question their love for their game. It was equal to ours and we all knew it.

I don't know if we'll ever in the MMO industry see that much talent packed into one joyous, passionate place.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
Re: Catching Lightning in a bottle
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 01:25:45 PM »
Amen to that.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 01:54:13 PM »
Yeah, one of the things I always loved about CoH was inspecting an enemy to read their background.
Every group had its background and purpose, rather than the hordes of generic rats, thugs, wolves - and other default critters you fight throughout most of the leveling up process in 90% of the MMO's out there.
CoH was a truly unique game, one which I was fortunate to have played and that I'll always mourn if it doesn't pull through in the end after all.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 04:30:26 PM »
I saw you post this over on massively. It's very true. I think it was Stephen King that said something like "All ideas are borrowed from somewhere."

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »
Mr. King tells the truth, but not all of it. Yes, we do not live in a vacuum, we're all swimming in the same myth pool (as Mr. Kirby answered at SDCC when I asked him about George Lucas.) But I always feel very upset when a writer pretends something is all theirs when you can see where they "filed the serial numbers off." (Like that metaphor.) Here are my favorite examples of outright, shameless plagiarism.

Hunger Games -- Battle Royale
Star Wars -- The New Gods
Star Trek: First Contact -- Aliens
The Lion King -- Kimba, the White Lion

If you're gonna remake, show some class and give full credit to the original, as with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or The Ring. At the very least, acknowledge and throw some salutes to the creators who came before you.

Getting back to King, all writers stare at the finest examples from their respective genres with admiration and no little envy. But a good writer's mind is like a sausage grinder, it finds several things it likes and finds a way to fuse them, tell a new story from the disparate elements. That's why you hear Hollywood movies pitched as X meets Y. ("Cabin in the Woods, it's The Evil Dead meets The Truman Show.") Creativity is the opposite of analytical thought; where analysis takes something apart to find how it works, creativity welds existing parts together in novel ways. This new story, a Frankenstein's monster at first, takes on a life all its own. When it does, that's where the real magic happens. (It's like genetics, where elements of both "story DNA" merge into something new and unique, in contrast to the sterile "cloning" of plagiarism.)

So yes, Crey may be "generic  evil corporation" meets GATTACA, but I still admire the creation, and will miss it and all the rest of CoH very much until NCSoftcore sells the IP. And yes, you can bet they'll sell the IP. (Edit: I've received a reliable assessment that says I'll lose that bet.)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:45:00 PM by Colette »

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 05:06:12 PM »
Not seeing the First Contact, Aliens one.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 05:38:11 PM »
Hmm... Picard/Ripley wakes up from a bad dream about the Aliens/Borg. The Aliens/Borg try to take over the colony/ship and a gun/phaser fight ensues, but they have to be careful not to hit the cooling system/deflector dish. Lots of redshirts/marines get parasitized/assimilated, resulting in more aliens/borg. The Alien Queen/Borg Queen captures Newt/Data, and Picard/Ripley has to go down to the reactor/engineering to rescue her/him before the colony/ship blows up.

The B-story about Cochrane and first contact with the Vulcans they stole from an old Star Trek novel.

Eat/Assimilate this.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:51:46 PM by Colette »

LadyWizard

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 07:05:35 PM »
The Lion King -- Kimba, the White Lion
Hate to correct you but Lion King was family friendly remake of a shakespeare play Hamlet... in fact lion king 2 was romeo and juliet remake.  Both of which they make no denial of and freely admit on the more recent dvd/bluray releases of them and the behind the scenes.  Just read the wiki blurb on Kimba not seeing any real similarities aside from like bambi he's raised to be the leader of his people and starts taking his place after mother dies.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:43:17 PM by Colette »