Author Topic: A MMO Travelers Log issue 2 (DC Universe Online)  (Read 6093 times)

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
A MMO Travelers Log issue 2 (DC Universe Online)
« on: November 11, 2012, 05:40:32 AM »
First off the good.  Graphics!  I would say this is between CoH style and Champions but with a lot more detail.  (Oh my god the city beautiful!  Such details!) You still have a comic flair of colors but not as in your face as Champions.  So if Champions graphic style giving you headaches give DC a chance.  The Negatives of the art style... Animation seems odd to me the Rendering of Superman is a tad questionable.

Character creation... AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...  Okay let brake it down.  No personal background!  Every player is a result of the nanites!  This is even odder given some of the character creation options.  Zombie/Cyborg as well as some beastly choices.  I found the menu interface annoying I was going back and forth on options fine tuning the outfit and colors.

Gameplay.  A good mouse is a MUST.  The fight system uses both left and right mouse buttons for attacks and combos are along the lines of Tap button and Hold down button for X number of times.  You also get a set of Number key abilities.  Getting used to this system going to take some time.

Again a Gear=Stat enhancement system.  This ties in with costume options as well.  I said I hated systems like this but that's not quite right.  Lets examine things.  In a Fantasy RP this makes sense you have a normal Adventurer finding some plate mail armor.  The plate is stronger then the leather he has on but weights more and less flexible.  So it logical that the Adventurer looses speed and dexterity when in the plate.  In a SUPERHERO MMO this is not LOGICAL!  The Thing often goes into battle with just shorts on!  Superman doesn't armor Up!  The Human Torch would destroy any gear he has on.  So having Gear affect Powers/Stats don't work.  How about Iron Man or Batman?  Well they often have armor / Gear that counteracts the negative effects.  The Ironman Armor has micro engines and other systems in it to allow Stark to not only be comfortable in the armor but able to lift a tank!  Batman's armor is state of the art made to be light weight flexible and damage resistance!  Even they won't go and pick up a thugs armor for his/her own.  So Gear = Stats in a superhero MMO not a system that really fits.  Almost a lazy way to do things (It been done in every other MMO players expect it.) just don't cut it for me.

These Gear are drops and can affect the appearance of your character.  You have to LOCK in the look you want or it will change when a gear is equip.

Over all I do like DC better then Champions.  SO much so I'm going to drop my sub for Champions and Go DC Sub.

Next on my travels is Secret World... going to wait for my new system before trying it so be a few weeks.

Tell us what you think of DC pros and cons!  The more input we get the better chances the Plan Z team can fine tune what's a good idea and what's not.  Also if there a MMO you think I should try just state below.  F2P only please.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:19:38 PM by Rotten Luck »
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Re: A MMO Travelers Log issue 2 (DC Universe Online)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:54:33 AM »
DCUO

the graphics are 'extensive ultra mode ONLY' many computers of average CoH players might not be capable of playing DCUO.

so as a note on polycount and texture size: you will want to work with less.

mouse heavy gaming: first off it's loud to rapidly click your mouse, plus it will break any mouse over time. don't want our younger players to run into that scenario of

"Hey son, we can't sleep with all that clicking noise, I don't care if you are in the middle of a TF go to bed now or I'll take an axe to your computer in the morning" - a real threat from my dad cause even my keyboard is loud.

also I went through 2 good mice with just CoH and my other hobbies to blame, so mouse heavy is a no no.

origin, well you either give people choices or.. just leave it blank. CoH chose to give choices and that worked well.

powers and costumes, well DCUO tried to be too 'restrictive' they wanted people to only be able to choose powers like already created DC characters.. kinda a novelty, it wears off quick then you have fans who want to let their own creativity go to work, they need an outlet and DC doesn;t supply that outlet.

the costume creator is also based on DC characters only, there are a few lame brained other options that I bet the scrum process is responsible for. when it comes to costumes you really need to think in and out of the box, you need to be able to go beyond your own particular style and generate things that might have some functionality to someone's idea.

further advice from someone in the industry; theres nothing agile about the scrum process even though it's called that, it's only agile if the minds of the people in the scrum are agile.

most professional scrums consist of a bunch of nit-wits sitting around smirking and joking about features they think might be funny. and more often than not they start with the sentence "wouldn't it be cool if"

try to keep your head on straight, the key to making a truly good game is to remember, it's not a joke, you should seriously think about what you are putting on the table as a option for the game! be serious, never retcon (only idiots who have no ability to actually write a story bridge result in retconning, such people probably shouldn't be writing your story) but in most major game companies 'from experience' those are the guys who are doing the story writing cause they are 'energetic' or 'passionate' about their poorly designed stories, just like the hillbilly who knows nothing but ducktape for fixing things and passionately insists on fixing your car "I can do it Me me me! it'll be the best fixit job ever!")

sorry for the rant.. the console gaming industry has some very incompetent people, and they piss the @#$% out of me when I have to deal with them.. "I have a master degree in game design, I've been in the company for 7 years, trust me my story/idea will make things better so what if it makes a retcon or inconsistency or destroys a previous concept, it's mine so it'll be awesome cause I'm great." or the most popular "no no! you need to use 3DS MAX or Maya! what are you doing?! like totally man 3DS and Maya are the only professional things to use, everything else is poor quality and can't do anything, cause my college told me so." <- both comments are real things I've been told by senior project developers, the same senior project devs that come to me for help when they can't do something "hey how do I do this?" or "can you make me a normal map?"
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:34:36 AM »
Rant away.  The whole idea of these MMO Traveler post is to get an idea of MMO Game strengths and weaknesses.  To get a talk about these other games out there going.  Think of this as research!  As I continue with these logs I really wondering if I should include the other NCsoft titles.  (They will never get another penny from me!) Just a F2P peak at the games Strength and weaknesses.  I want Plan Z to blow all of these out of the water.

If I was given the option of saving CoH, but at the cost it be the only thing I be allowed to play.  I return to Paragon in a heart beat (Still there I log in all the time).

But between Champions or DC.  Well I choose DC, as stated the graphics are Heavy but easier on my eyes then Champions.  For a mmo game it is lacking in personal choices, but I got a Rotten Luck running and will create a Villain soon.  I would call it City of Clones given how you can Mimic a DC character.  That name I save for the Up and coming Marvel game from what I read that is play as a Marvel character and not just IN the universe.  Marvel is for another log entry for now let the talk about DCUO continue.

zybron

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 03:10:41 PM »
I hadn't tried this one out since it was in beta and when this thread popped up I decided to give it another whirl. I still thought it was way too clicky, but then I discovered that you can bind the melee and ranged default attacks (which are normally left and right mouse buttons) to other keys. Once I did that, the game became much more playable, as I wasn't constantly clicking mouse buttons. When you make that change, you can also bind the default interact button (which is E) to your left mouse button.

I think the thing that bothers me the most about this game, now that I've fixed it being too clicky, is that camera movement is tied to mouse movement. I'm constantly wanting to move my mouse around the UI and making my camera jerk around. If anyone knows a way to divorce camera movement from the mouse - something similar to how you can move your camera angle using the right mouse button in CoH - this game would be even more playable.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 03:23:48 PM »
Good call Zybron.  I shall make a note to add Camera systems in any future logs I produce.  This is why I want the talk of pros and cons.  The more people make comments the more info and ideas are filled out.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »
Still too clicky.

Nothing in the game giving players an idea what areas are "safe" for them.

CoH did it with zone colorations.
CO does it by preventing you from accessing certain zones until you're of sufficient level.
DCUO allows you to just blindly wander into an area, on one of their endless hunt missions, where the enemies outlevel you by 20+ levels.

The chat system sucks on hot ice and is a misbegotten blow-by of the console port.  Yes, there's the option for voice chat.  BFD.  Not everyone wants to, or can, use voice.  And the fact that you have to completely *STOP* absolutely EVERYTHING you're doing just to use type-chat is...well...

The power control setup is pretty much specifically designed to kill your mouse or hasten the inception of RSI in your mousing hand.

Superspeed's control setup was set up by an imbecile.  You're traveling down a corridor, you speed up the side of the wall and after you hit the midway point you start running up onto the ceiling and...CHANGE DIRECTION!

Seriously?  What mental defective thought that inverting your direction controls when doing ceiling running was the Smart Thing?

As of right now, flight is the most normal travel method.

But fighting with SS to keep characters going in the right direction left me violently nauseous.

And yeah, the overt gear=stat=costume is stupid.

I'm

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 02:28:40 AM »
Question. Can you, or can you not, use one of those Xbox controllers with a usb plug for DCUO? I don't mind the game except for the insane amount of clicking in combat. So I'm sort of hoping I can get around that.

I'll be picking up a Razer Onga for use with Halo 4 on my Xbox as soon as I have the money saved up to buy it. Those also work with PC games that support controllers.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 03:06:38 AM »
Yes. You can use the Xbox Controller for DC Online. Works great IMO.

I never would have played DC Online on the PC without a controller.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 10:43:37 PM »
This is a slight modification of an in-depth article I wrote about DCUO last year. I've updated some small parts of it.
---

So - DC Universe online. Where you'll get to play a new superhero in the same universe as (and be mentored by) the likes of Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman as heroes. Or if you choose the villain side, Lex Luthor, Circe, and... The Joker.

Right up front I want to mention that there are both graphical and gameplay elements that make it very clear this was a game designed for a console gaming system first, and PC second. I'm going to be coming back to that from time to time and pointing it out as a reason for many of the things I'll be describing.

I want to start off with some praise for the world in general. Both Gotham City and Metropolis are FANTASTICALLY BEAUTIFUL. Absolute masterworks of design. And I don't say that lightly. Right from the start, they feel perfect and 100% true to the original source material. The shine of the skyscrapers and soaring arches of the skybridges in Metropolis, the grime in the alleyways and the steam rising from subways of Gotham. It's perfect. Throwing in little touches like billboards with Booster Gold hawking for "Bibbos! You'll love their buns!" - or a pair of roses laid on the concrete sidewalk under a lone streetlight behind the old Monarch theater... These are just sublimely geeky touches of awesomeness.

(Arkham Asylum BTW appears to have taken a few design cues from the Arkham series of Batman games. It's not anywhere near as complicated a complex of buildings as in those games, but some of the stylistic elements may be familiar.)

I feel lucky to have a system that can render all of this detail in highest rez with full framerate. Because the game engine renders all of this with an amazing amount of detail. (This might be a problem for some older machines though.)

Let me focus on a couple of things graphically and design-wise of note to illustrate what they've done and make some comparisons:

In City of Heroes and to a similar, but lesser degree in Champions Online, there's a certain amount (sometimes a large amount) of "fudging" in regards to building proportions. I.E. The various buildings and the stories, windows, levels etc... are in general -too small- in relation to the heroes outside the buildings by a small percentage. And of course, the extremely large interior spaces like the office and warehouse maps would never fit inside these places.

But in DCUO - the buildings and the cities overall ARE to scale! Which means they are MASSIVE.

I've gotten characters up close and compared the heights of individual levels to my character height. And the proportions work out. You can even do a reasonable estimation of where there would be space -between- each floor level for the various things like plumbing, insulation etc. So each individual building, whether it's 10 or 80 stories tall, feels BIG as you fly/run/ swing around them. And the cities really do feel MILES across. (Do take the supersonic options on Flight and the top end of Superspeed. It'll come in handy.)

Also - There's a stylistic thing going on in regards to day/night cycles too. They don't have any. Metropolis is perpetual mid-morning/late afternoon. And Gotham is perpetually midnight to 4 AM. But I think it works. Who'd want to see Gotham in the daylight anyway? ^_^

They also have applied a neat little visual "trick" for long distances.

On the streets, up close and into medium distance, you can see individual cars and other vehicles. But - say you have a flying character or one that has ascended to the top of a building, and you look around - off in the distance, between the buildings, (night or day) you can see headlights and taillights of cars in traffic moving.

Now the reason I call this a "neat trick" is this: At distances beyond medium distance - the actual models of the cars etc, are no longer drawn. And it "fades" out into this generalized "traffic lights" pattern. The lights are actually just an effect and not tied to anything physical. But at those ranges, they look perfectly natural.

In COH or CO, you'd simply lose the feel that there's any traffic in the city beyond what you can immediately see drawn in the short range. But in DCUO, you look far in the distance, and there's all this visible traffic going on. It really adds to the feel of a bustling city that way. Like I said - it's a neat visual trick.

So - huge properly scaled buildings, massive cities, effects that lend a real sense of scale. It's very impressive.

Here's a couple of screenshots to illustrate:

Characters are also very nicely rendered too. Here's a couple of mine.

Which brings us to the character creator. You've probably heard it's very limited. It is - at the start when you first create your character. In terms of body customization, it actually has fewer options than City of Heroes did during it's couple of years! There are no sliders for body proportions at all. You have set body types and about 3-4 faces or "skins" per body type. (at least for normal human skin tones - there's a lot of options for "glowing" or crystal or rock skins etc. Yes - you can make cat-girls...) You do get 3 body proportion types per gender, and 3 sizes for your character to be within those models. You could choose to be the biggest, burliest male character. Who would have proportions similar to the "Huge" body type in COH. You could use the same proportions, but make him a little guy. You could be a short, medium or tall version of the standard male or female bodytype. Or you could choose a "sprite" version of same. I will say that the "sprites" make good adolescent or teen characters. So yes, you could make one character the "teen sidekick" of your buddy. But all of these are static choices. Not on a sliding scale.

I feel this is due to the "Console" nature of the game. The graphics probably needed to be limited so that the PS3 console wouldn't have to deal with a million different body types and tweaks for the game engine to render.

It also has a tendency to ... I'm not sure if this is the right word, but I'll use it anyway - It has a tendency to "channel" design into something that looks like it belongs in the DC Universe. You likely will wind up with a character that looks far more "silver age" to start with than what you might have wanted.

This is offset by getting loot once you start playing. Now this is an interesting system. It's not like WoW loot where your character is forced to wear something that might not go with their ensemble simply because you can't argue with the numbers. In fact, you can "lock" your characters style if you have an outfit you like and then the costume loot simply changes your stats and nothing else has to change! But once you have collected a piece of gear, you will always and forever have the option to use the look of that gear if you so choose, even if you get rid of the actual item in your inventory! As you gain more pieces, creating a unique look for your character becomes easier and easier.

So character creation in terms of design isn't a one time deal at the start. It's a process that continues as you play. I wouldn't recommend having a tight "concept" driven character that you try to build right from the start. Have a general idea, then see where it goes once you start playing. For instance, I don't think I could recreate C8 or Kara's distinctive look from the start. But a few levels in with gear? Maybe I could.

(There was a thread at their official forums that had some very creative uses of their character builder. But the link I used to have to it is broken. I'll see if I can find it again soon.)

Oh - quick note on something that I am reminded of since I mentioned Cyberman 8. Travel powers. DCUO only has 3 travel powers. Acrobatics, flight, and Superspeed. No teleportation, no tunneling (as in Champions). No boot jets.

This is offset some by the broadness of these abilities. And the fact that you can apply skill points to them to let them do specific things - even combat related maneuvers!

For example, flight is pretty basic, but you can apply skill points to let you use it to dive-bomb enemies, whirl about them in a tight circle doing punching damage, make yourself resistant to knockback, etc.

Acrobatics can run up sheer surface, stick to ceilings, and has an inherent gliding ability from the start (think cape-gliding like Batman). A few levels in and you can learn how to use a swingline from building to building with it. It's probably the most "active" travel power.

Speedster needs a VERY special note: You can run up the sides of buildings! And run on water! This is the first game where they've included such abilities, and they are awesome fun! (Careful going across ceilings though. Depending on the angle, the controls seem to "reverse" sometimes. I didn't bother with that feature much so it wasn't a problem for me.)

That rather describes a lot of the powers system in fact. At first you seem not to have much in the way of choices. But each power set has some broad applications. Fire powers for example, can do damage as a blaster. But you can concentrate your points instead into things like healing flames or transferring heat energy from enemies to yourself etc. Gadgets probably has the widest variety of options. I have two characters with that powerset, and they do things radically different. One is a martial artist and mainly uses small sticky bombs and a capture line to pull enemies to her, and the other uses robotic drones of various types as back-up firepower for her blasting abilities.

There is also a special tier of powers called "Iconic Powers" which has things specific to certain Heroes and Villains in it that you can choose. Amazonian deflection, Batarang throw, Heat vision etc. You get the idea.

Now we get into some of the weirdness of the combat system in general, and how VERY different it is from City of Heroes and other MMOS in general.

Powers with effects are triggered by a press of a numbered button from 1-6. Yes - ONLY 6. Button 7 is used exclusively for consumable healing "potions" and button 8 is used for trinkets that have power effects. You can buy more powers than you'll be able to use on the bar. But that's okay, because you can have multiple roles that you can switch to with their own load-outs. For example, my "Supergirl" inspired character is mainly melee with fire. But as DPS, she has a slightly different load-out of powers on the bar than as a tank.

And here's where we part company completely with what you may be familiar with in terms of control schemes in MMOs. Because everything I outlined above is for what I would liken to your Secondary power sets, in comparison with COH. Your Primary powers are what you'll use more often. And they don't use a power button tray at all. You use your mouse button for them. ONLY your mouse buttons. In various combinations of button tap and hold combos like a fighting game.

Let me back up a moment and explain - DCUO does not use a "conventional" MMO control set-up. And apparently that's not even an option. How it IS set up in terms of the controls, is more of a "shooter" style.

I initially had a terrible learning curve during the tutorial and my first couple of levels. Until it "clicked" for me: "Hey - this isn't an MMO control setup. This is more like Mass Effect!" THEN it became much easier to "grok".  You don't even have an individual mouse pointer on-screen unless you go to a menu. When you are in combat you point your character direction by means of the mouse. Look up - look down - turn all via direct mouse control. You do have keys for forward/backward movement and strafing. But if you play it, think of first or third person "shooters" BEFORE you think "MMO". And it becomes much more clear what you should be doing.

If you're melee, you use the mouse buttons to punch, haymaker, kick etc. If you're a blaster, archer, twin pistols, they become your "triggers" for your weaponry. And the various combos let you do different things. Different punches, kicks, PBAO damage. Charged shots.

Once again - console gameplay. The reason you only have 6 Power Effect buttons (+2 for "potions" and "Specials). The combos allow you to do more with a gamepad. In fact, I wager that if you have a PS3 Style game controller linked via USB, this will work out even better.

I will say - combat is VERY fast-paced and "kinetic". It does rely far more on "twitch" reflexes like a fighting game though. I don't think I'll be PVPing with this system. (The last "twitch" fighting game I was any good at was... er... back in the 90s. Street Fighter Alpha II I think... >.>) So far I've managed to stick to simple combos and be effective. Once you learn the system, it's actually a lot of fun.

Which brings me to the chat system, such as it is. If there's ONE thing DCUO Desperately, desperately needs, it's an overhaul to their chat system. You can do basic communication with it. You can talk to teammates on private channels. It does have "tells". But... Oh my god is it clunky. It feels "tacked on". And maybe it was! It limits DCUO drastically, I think. What is a fun game solo and a decent one in small groups (who do NOT talk in combat, at ALL, because you can either move and act, or you can type, and neither shall the twain meet!) becomes almost unworkable from an RP standpoint. In fact, I don't know if there even is much RP in this game at all. People are friendly enough and willing to help out. (though you do still get Trolls. But that's going to happen) But I don't think I've seen anyone even attempt RP in this game. There's no provision for writing a background bio for your character that people can read.

On the other hand, there is a voice chat system in-game. I haven't tried it because my system HATES voice in-game systems and tends to crash no matter what game it is. But it might make things easier.

Speaking of voices - every NPC character you interact with, from the vendors up to Superman, has a voice. Some of the voice acting is outstanding - Kevin Conroy as Batman, Mark Hamill as the Joker - how could you POSSIBLY go wrong?.

Some is good, neither Supes or Lex is from DC Animated, but both actors in the game are good. Although Adam Baldwin as Superman is...well.....Supes! The man they call... Supes! ^_^

...to cringe-worthy bad - Supergirl... augh... just... Supergirl... I LIKED her in the DCAU. I tolerate her here. Barely...

...to head-cockingly bizarre - Dwight Shultz ("Howling Mad" Murdoch from the original "A" Team and Reginald Barclay from Star Trek) does the Martian Manhunter AND APPARENTLY HAS NO INDOOR VOICE AT ALL.

EVER.

Special note: Not only did Mark Hamill return to do the Joker, but Arleen Sorkin came back to do Harley Quinn!

And She. Is. A. RIOT!!!

If you make a villain in this game, do NOT pass up a chance to go see her at the Hall of Doom. Most "stand around" NPCs in both the Watchtower and Hall of Doom have only 2-3 "canned" responses. Harley Quinn seems to have at LEAST 15 if not more! And every single one of them makes me laugh out loud - and cringe in the "should I be laughing at this?" variety.

HARLEY: (Starting off Chirpily cheerful) "Hey! You can trust me! (voice changes to evil Mua ha ha) I'm a DOCTOR!" 

Never has adorable and malevolent inhabited the same frame so seamlessly...

Ahem... Moving along...

A quick word on the background music since I'm still on audio stuff. It's also very good. In Gotham the city music sometimes has echoes of B:TAS and Tim Burton Batman movies. In Metropolis, it's very "uplifting" optimistic stuff similar to that of Superman Animated or Justice League.

So - Bottom line. Worth it? Well it IS free-to-play now. I'd say it's worth at least trying out, maybe as a change of pace. I think it's a very fun game. It's a VERY pretty game. But it's not a "deep" game. The RP potential is slim to nearly non-existent at present due to the clunky chat system. But the plots and story of the game are simple but well done and I've been able to get into them while playing. Would it have made more sense as a stand-alone game like Batman: Arkham Asylum or KOTOR or Mass Effect? Maybe. But then you wouldn't be able to team up at all. And you can sit around and talk to people. You just can't do it AND play your character effectively at the same time. I think the game still has potential to survive and thrive if they'll iron out the various clunky bits.

As for spending real world money on the game - I initially plunked down 5 dollars for some goodies in their market so I could bump to "premium" status and get 6 instead of 2 character slots. Later I bought some of the DLC expansions. Those are dirt cheap compared to a lot of other games. No more than 10 dollars apiece. I believe if you subscribe you get them for free, but I think it's worth it to just buy them outright if you want a specific power set that doesn't come in the basic game and you're going to be playing more casually than long term. Say you want a Green Lantern deputy but you don't want to subscribe all the time for example. Same thing with the Earth powers and the Flash Lightning/Electricity sets.

They even have shield fighting, and their most recent DLC Pack focuses on Magic "Super Sorceror" types.

A word on "Lockboxes". DCUO has them. But unlike Champions Online and STO - they've done them in a way that's respectful to their customers and actually given people an incentive to subscribe!

Lockboxes operate on a similar principle to those in CO or STO. Occasionally A lockbox will drop in addition to regular loot (Last time I played this was FAR less ubiquitous and annoying than in CO). Inside is something. Either a piece of gear or a temporary boost of some kind.

If you are Free-to-play or "Premium" then you have to buy a key from the online store to open one.

But if you're a subscriber, you just open it for free like regular loot! No muss, no fuss.

THAT is the RIGHT way to do a lockbox! Take note Perfect World!

Is it a fun game? Yes. Is it a deep game? No. Is it a home for ex-patriot City of Heroes players? That depends on your tastes. I imagine most Role-players and people making specific concepts or trying to port/translate characters from one system to another will give it a pass.

If you want a non-complicated silver-age world with a clearly defined reason to go beat up bad guys and a fast-paced combat system to let you go at it, then this is a good choice.

Of the two superhero MMOs left after the COH servers shutdown, this will be the only one that lets you play a villain outright.

And if you're a fan of DC (even just a casual one like me whose main exposure over the last 20 years has been the Animated Universe) and you want to play in that world, even if only for a little while, I'd say it's worth it to at least download it and give it a try.

I hope this helps you in your future endeavors.

PsychicKitty

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »
For me...DC UNiverse is ok

I have played many games....and htis is one I actualy have a lifetime subscription on....as I am lazy...and well it wasnt till the highest levels i relized i would run out of things to do.

The game has good graphics....when it comes to games...city structure is good....I noticed one person mentioned differing levels....and how easy it is to go into one....yep you have to go through those areas too....not a big deal....all leveling areas are actualy fairly small.....most fo the map of the game world aside form looking neat...doesnt have much there.

You get missions from specific contacts....which are simply enough...at the end of the mission you get a boss battle and neat cutscene.....now the drawback to this is.....the replay ability....you dont have that....once you do a story mission....it gets locked out from you....which i find annoying....also this means any special items or special achievments of defeating some boss ina certain way...become locked out.

Other players tell you to simply team with someone else to get the achievement....but seriously....there is just not alot of people who dop the story stuff...

The game pushes you to PVP.

You have choices of a PVP and non-PVP server...that annoys me......but its not what truly annoys me....what annoys me....is the only way to get better items to up your statistics is to go into PVP instanced areas and fight......and if you dont win.....you dont get the items or rewards.
That also annoys me....but still isnt too bad.....the actual annoying part is the usual stupidity this game brings becasue it pushes PVP.
You get the elitists players who say..."if you dont have this gear you cant play with me" and they kick you out of say instances or whatever....to the actual cheaters who run rampant....
Unfortunately PVP brings lots of cheating....its a fact in all PVP type games...you at first dont notice or dont run into them....but eventualy you run into that player who is your level just standing there and not taking damage....or one who one shot kills you with a small attack.....eventualy you start noticing players able to access more powers then they should be able to....and the list goes on....
But instead of fixing that issue....or penalyzing those players...they instead enable them.....making content specifc for those players....becasue they tell everyone how easy the game is....yah when you take no damage you might think its easy too....

which moves onto their customer service group and GMs.....they are terrible....good luck getting support...you will notice no way to report a bug.....and no way to get support if you get permanently stuck by some glitch.  there response to any problems of a major issue....."make a new character"

Now the power issues....this game has alot of powers.....and with neat graphics....but you can never use them all....as in you can select onyl specifc powers to use...ever....so even if you have tons of ring powers....you can only use 6 of them....and those 6 means you can use other powers you might have gotten somewhere else.....even worse for the healer character....i have a character with 4 differing heal powers....that means i have 2 selections for something else....since i took some shape shifting stuff....those forms might consume those buttons.....but even when i shape shift...i cant use the shape shift abilities becasue i already chose what powers i can use.....mind boggling and stupid....

Now moving on we go to there stupidity on how the powers work.....the powers work like you think...they consume energy to work.....hold powers are a joke...they work ok on other players...who can break free instantly....but on enemies mostly they dotn last long or dont work at all.....unfortunatley these bad powers mostly lead into the problem for this game....
You use powers and they consume energy.....but you wont recover the energy very fast.....why?...becasue they deliberatly divided players into three groups.....a tank...healer and a person who recovers your energy.....you can never be all three....tanks mostly can recover and heal themselves as usual....as the designers obviously like those power sets....thus why they are not penalyzed......but a person with healing....trying to heal will run out of eenrgy fast...unless the person aho has energy stops what they are doing to only give energy back....and saddly....becasue energy recovery and healing are bigger aggro magnets then any other attacks......enemys target these players first and foremost....

So some real bad game design logic there.....

Now for some fo the neat things.....
They have alot of background you can collect...inthe form of what look like question marks all over the game and in missions too....if you get an entire set you unlock points you can spend on improving your self.....getting more attacks or powers....or enahcning powers for example....
Unfortunatley the mission lockout makes this sometimes annoying....but you can find duplicate question marks out in the city.....weirdly....some o fhte question marks appear and disapear...for no real reason......theyare always inthe same spots....so if you have a map like me you know where to get them all......but the disapearing or waiting game to get them is annoying.....yes when a players grabs one they do disapear for a while.....but they disapear for sometimes long periods whether a player gets them or not....you can find one a ways away...go right to it to have it fade away for no reason......which boggles my mind this stupidity....but over all this is kind of interesting.
Also enemies also drop items for collections as well....and when i say back ground i mean...you get some item you collect...then after that everytime you click it....it not only isnt in your inventory consuming space....but you will sometimes get a cutscene or recorded audio you can enjoy any time you want.....truly liked how mark hamil did tons of joker things

Another thing that is neat is the races....all over the game world are race places...as in you start a race you are given a time limit and see a bunch of rings you simply have to go through.....thus....you will see the course as ou do the race....onyl you see it....other players not inthe races wont see the rings...they will see you....if you are on a pvp server or in pvp mode be careful...as players hunt these places to get free kills.
But anywise....if you finsh the race inthe top rated time....which is not player controlled thank goodness..(as cheaters would get things set to 1 second like the ski runs in city of heroes)you get an unlocked costume piece.
Also completing races unlocks more ahciements thus you get more points to spend on powers and such.
Race courses are not random...thus you can keep re-trying until you beat them...there are special achievements for beating races with out using boost powers on your travel powers....boost powers are things you can get witht he points form achievemnts and leveling...that let you fly faster or run faster...etc....while you hold a button down....unfortunately you scarifice steering on flight when you do this....but you eaisly get the hang of them...

Unfortunately i spent way too much time collecting things....but running into cheaters and the usual griefers made me not like this game as much....and then after that i realized powers kind of where bad and found tons of things i hated....
So i followed the advice i got a long time ago....which was if a game has way more negatives then positives...why keep playing.

Anywise dont know if this helps anyone with information on this game....but now you know.