Author Topic: Well, it's not quite as 'inspiring' as AngelusAnimi's vids for #SaveCOH, but...  (Read 11029 times)

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
This made me sad and angry all over again.

Ceterum censeo NCsoft delendam esse.

Dum vita est, spes est.

Melius patriam desideramus.

Melius, sine NCSoft.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
I find it almost amusing that on this thread, the thread on the COH forums, and my YT comments, it's all praise. But the forums I'm NOT on... boy are people having fun bashing this thing. Oh well - as the saying goes, "No one ever raised a statue in honor of a critic." :)

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
WHAT???

HOW could anyone bash this??? What kind of soulless abomination could...

Oh right. The same type of people who closed the game. That's what kind.

Links please. If they are merely mis-informed, I wish to do my best to educate them. If not... Well then, I think we have more than a few people happy to DISMANTLE their criticism.

Angelus Animi

• Lieutenant
What else would you expect from the player whose first character was a videographer?

Your work has always amazed and inspired me.  It's beautiful.

Lolliad

• Underling
Michelle,

My first post on this forum goes to you.

I loved all your videos and I consider you as a famous person in the COH community.
That last video is heartbreaking and I think it relate how everyone if feeling.

Hope to see your works again for the next years... and of course I'd like to see videos about COH still alive.

Thank you.

Samuraiko

• Elite Boss
    • The Wandering Crane
WHAT???

HOW could anyone bash this??? What kind of soulless abomination could...

Oh right. The same type of people who closed the game. That's what kind.

Links please. If they are merely mis-informed, I wish to do my best to educate them. If not... Well then, I think we have more than a few people happy to DISMANTLE their criticism.

Nah, it's not worth starting flamewars over. If they don't have the balls to come onto the vid's comments and say it 'to my face', as it were, then meh. I don't MIND criticism, as long as it's something reasonably intelligent and constructive. "u suk" does not count as criticism, in my book - that's a display of stupidity and paucity of language.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
The video made me weep and realise I still have time left. Even if I have no means to take memories other than screen caps I want to ... finish some things. Thank you for reminding me I still had time.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
'Ko is making one for me, the farewell for one of my own darlings, Belladonna Aura, aka Commissar Bella Dawn Parker of the CCCP.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

dior

• Minion
Really poignant - beautiful.

I hope the link has been sent to every board member at NCSoft - even if they asked not to be sent mail - send it!

Its not just a game - people have developed overlays, forums, badge hunting tools etc - a not so small industry shed a tear when NCSoft made their decision, and Im not too proud to say this masterpeice left me with tears in my eyes too.

I wish I could express my feelings so well as this video does.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
I find it almost amusing that on this thread, the thread on the COH forums, and my YT comments, it's all praise. But the forums I'm NOT on... boy are people having fun bashing this thing. Oh well - as the saying goes, "No one ever raised a statue in honor of a critic." :)
Haters gotta hate.
Yeeessss....

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki

I like to think that we mostly got the nice, intelligent, well-thinking members to come here.  Most of the trolls already hate me and have no desire to join the Titan Network.

But yeah, I hate to bring a bit of a negative vibe to the thread, but it makes me SO mad that NCsoft is so needlessly killing off this game.  This video represents one story, one among thousands of people who have a genuine emotional attachment to their creations, the result of years of creative expression poured into a character.  I wish I could take all of these videos like this, force the executives of NCsoft to watch them Clockwork Orange-style, and say, "Do you see now?  Do you finally understand what you've been doing, not just to us, but to our brothers and sisters at your other games that you've killed?  Do you really want to be known as the company that destroys these creations?"

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
I didn't think I'd ever get it to download on the connection I have for the weekend, but wow, it worked!

Well now, what was sobering. I'm kinda speechless now. Gotta say though, that is very much what I figured it'd be like for me at the end, so it sort of felt like I was seeing my own future. Unless the Rikti are attacking AP33 at that time. Interesting thing about us MMO gamers. The rest of the world has only pondered over what they would do if they knew the world was ending (even Y2K really didn't have that much fear to it by the time Dec 31st came). We're actually going to live through it.

Are you just typing the full address of your vid into a search engine in order to find these 'other' forums? YT seems largely useless for showing where a video has been linked.

And... heh. You just made me shudder at the kind of flak I'm going to get on my next vid (which sadly I had hoped to get out this weekend, but alas, Premiere wasn't "in the mood" for cooperating). I'm someone who has only done comedic voices in the past, and now I'm trying an emotionally serious role for the first time, with no clue if I'm any good at it (and I hate the sound of my voice). As for Youtube though, you sure nobody tried to rip it apart? When the Unity Rally vid hit the news sites, I was certain my YT channel was going to turn into a warzone, but the community did a great job policing it. Any attempt to start a flame war was voted out of sight within hours. That said, pleeeeeease let us "police" the forums that are starting in on this video.  8)

How long did it take you to get all the shots for that collage from the Atlas statue? And ugh, now I'm going to have to really sift through it. Did you use anything from when you were taking clips of us at the cape party under the statue a couple weeks ago? I vaguely remember you pulling out the camera and saying you were working on this.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
...too many onions being chopped around here...

* DrakeGrimm hugs Samuraiko

...a fitting tribute. Always.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Samuraiko

• Elite Boss
    • The Wandering Crane
I didn't think I'd ever get it to download on the connection I have for the weekend, but wow, it worked!

Well now, what was sobering. I'm kinda speechless now. Gotta say though, that is very much what I figured it'd be like for me at the end, so it sort of felt like I was seeing my own future. Unless the Rikti are attacking AP33 at that time. Interesting thing about us MMO gamers. The rest of the world has only pondered over what they would do if they knew the world was ending (even Y2K really didn't have that much fear to it by the time Dec 31st came). We're actually going to live through it.

Are you just typing the full address of your vid into a search engine in order to find these 'other' forums? YT seems largely useless for showing where a video has been linked.

And... heh. You just made me shudder at the kind of flak I'm going to get on my next vid (which sadly I had hoped to get out this weekend, but alas, Premiere wasn't "in the mood" for cooperating). I'm someone who has only done comedic voices in the past, and now I'm trying an emotionally serious role for the first time, with no clue if I'm any good at it (and I hate the sound of my voice). As for Youtube though, you sure nobody tried to rip it apart? When the Unity Rally vid hit the news sites, I was certain my YT channel was going to turn into a warzone, but the community did a great job policing it. Any attempt to start a flame war was voted out of sight within hours. That said, pleeeeeease let us "police" the forums that are starting in on this video.  8)

How long did it take you to get all the shots for that collage from the Atlas statue? And ugh, now I'm going to have to really sift through it. Did you use anything from when you were taking clips of us at the cape party under the statue a couple weeks ago? I vaguely remember you pulling out the camera and saying you were working on this.

YT's Statistics feature lets me see (somewhat) where my traffic is coming from - both the "Playback Location" and "Traffic Sources" are good starts. By now, if I see a site like MMORPG.NET or whatnot, it's usually on their forums, and I just go to the COH section.

As far as the comments on the actual vid on YT, what you see there is what I've gotten. Comments are set for approval first because a while back, some moron was spamming all my comment sections with obscenity, hate mail, etc (and yes, it was directed at ME, not just some random drive-by flaming). But if someone comes on and says, "I didn't like it", I approve it (several of my videos have lengthy negative opinions). On the YT vid itself, nothing but positive so far.

The flybys under Atlas were from the day where I ran around to as many servers as I could (including a couple folks who went to their own servers to get footage for me), told everyone:

"Okay, stand under Atlas. I'm gonna count down from five... when I say GO, fly/run/teleport/superspeed/superjump/hoverboard/whatever in a random direction and don't stop til you hit a War Wall."

I'd count down, say GO, and off they went.

Step 1: Demoedit Jo saluting in each of them, and set all of them to the same in-game time (5pm)
Step 2: Use Zloth's Demo Editing app to enforce the camera circling motion on each.
Step 3: Render each demofile as JPGs, then recompile them in VirtualDub as AVIs.
Step 4: Add all the AVI files to one project in Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 and set them all to 50% transparency so I could see everyone flying off at the same time.
Step 5: Re-arrange and trim the footage so that as the camera panned around, heroes were visible in each shot, and each server got used.
Step 6: Turn off the transparency, fade one segment into the next, and render. Voila.

As for using the footage I shot at the Unity Rally, yes and no - thanks to me demoediting all 33 of the Atlas Parks (thanks again, Hit Streak!), and using Leandro's character extraction programs, I now have a HUGE repository of characters... but the end shot I wanted to use was swapped instead for the AP flybys.

The original endshot - 8080 unique heroes, villains, rogues, and vigilantes forming the City of Heroes skyline and the COH logo beneath it. Yes, you read that right - EIGHT THOUSAND different characters. Unlike Leandro's computer, mine could handle it. :)

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

Manga

• Elite Boss
But yeah, I hate to bring a bit of a negative vibe to the thread, but it makes me SO mad that NCsoft is so needlessly killing off this game.  This video represents one story, one among thousands of people who have a genuine emotional attachment to their creations, the result of years of creative expression poured into a character.  I wish I could take all of these videos like this, force the executives of NCsoft to watch them Clockwork Orange-style, and say, "Do you see now?  Do you finally understand what you've been doing, not just to us, but to our brothers and sisters at your other games that you've killed?  Do you really want to be known as the company that destroys these creations?"

Speaking of angry, Tony...it's almost time.  Check your PM's and prepare.  :)

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
That was Beautiful...there are tears dripping down my face right this very moment from this video.  I *wish* I had the skills and software to make something that wonderful and powerful.

Bravo
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
This video represents one story, one among thousands of people who have a genuine emotional attachment to their creations, the result of years of creative expression poured into a character.
I wish my video capture and editing skills were sufficient to tell the story of my characters that I'd like to capture before the lights go out.  But that's one of those areas I never quite got around to because, "there will always be time later..."

Dammit.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
I like to think that we mostly got the nice, intelligent, well-thinking members to come here.  Most of the unicorns already hate me and have no desire to join the Titan Network.
Wisdom speaking, you've got to admit that those speaking on other forums instead of here and youtube at least have a functionning survival instinct. Just imagine their unicorning here or there. Would backfire dramatically, and I would be working the temperature :) Too bad they are not *that* stupid.
Yeeessss....

Samuraiko

• Elite Boss
    • The Wandering Crane
I wish my video capture and editing skills were sufficient to tell the story of my characters that I'd like to capture before the lights go out.  But that's one of those areas I never quite got around to because, "there will always be time later..."

Dammit.

Dude, I have FIFTY videos I wanted to make.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss

Dammit.
That's my world right now.

I'm currently trying to script (literally- like hit this chat/emote bind and pan here, then go here) a demorecord of me giving a tour of the SG base to send to my group, and for myself, as a momento. I spent hours upon hours getting the stones in the doorways to form an arch, and the fireplaces, and the briefing room, and the flight deck, and Aster's dance cage in the Legacy Lounge...

What? She wanted one. :P

It won't come anywhere near what these wonderful demoedit people have done, and maybe one day I'll get Fraps and make it a different file type and add musing and such to it... but I'm hoping to at least save that one little corner of the game for my SG. Who knows, I may take the time I would be playing to figure some of it out and spice it up a bit, when I'm not playing... something else with the SG (still debating what that'll be with the group) Sigh... nothin's like home.

Really wish I'd made the time to learn it all. :-[