Author Topic: MMOKiller/GameKiller meme images  (Read 110775 times)

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
MMOKiller/GameKiller meme images
« on: October 13, 2012, 10:48:46 PM »
I have compiled all the MMOKiller/GameKiller meme type pictures I've done so far into one suitably named Photobucket account -

The MMOKiller on Photobucket

On the site you'll find folders called...

• NCSoft the MMOKiller - which contains the MMOKiller panel strips, Mars CEO Attacks, Blade and Soul stuff, and so on.
  • Variations GameKiller - which contains the panel strips recaptioned as GameKiller rather than MMOKiller (for potential viewers who might say "MMO-- whut's one o'them then?")
  • Uncaptioned Panels - which contains...tada! Yes, uncaptioned images. These are so people can add their own captions should they feel so inclined.

One point though -

If you do want to add your own captions, do remember that no matter how bad things get, we are still the good guys in this, and it makes sense to keep it that way if we can, so please don't stoop to using cheap insults, offensive language, and needlessly crass humour.

Visual mockery works best as a publicity tool when it cuts like a surgeon's scalpel rather than crashes down like a thug's fists. The idea is ridicule, not abuse! This is why I've often used actual quotes from NCSoft (and even Taek jin Kim himself) to reinforce that it's NCSoft's own actions that have brought such ridicule on themselves.

Spread the word, and enjoy! :)

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
Re: MMOKiller/GameKiller meme images
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 10:53:58 PM »
LOL, some really nice works there!

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 11:10:58 PM »

I think this has a high chance to spread among any of the images.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 01:17:01 AM »
Reckon you could be right 8)
Idea for that one came to me as I was playing my Neo-inspired Pistols/Martial blaster on beta... ;D

Turjan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »
At the risk of hijacking my own thread, a thought just occurred to me...

(it's not a thought worth a new thread, and I figured if I'm going to ramble down mental byways I might as well clutter up one of my own threads rather than mess up someone else's ;) )

Right, so, here's the thing...

I was thinking about that Glassdoor article about NCSoft's ongoing inability to operate in the west.
Then I started thinking about Nexon's recent "bring it on!" bravado in their Forbes article, all about operating MMOs in the western market.
I thought about F2P models, and NCSoft, and Nexon.
Then I thought about NCSoft selling shares to Nexon.
Finally (as always) I tried to work out what part CoH plays in such thinking.

Here's what I came up with -

With the exception of GW2 and ArenaNet, NCSoft have been pulling out of the west for a long time. Nexon, on the other hand, seem to be more intent on expanding in the west.

With the stock transfer from NCSoft to Nexon in mind, how crazy does the idea sound of NCSoft wanting to pull out of the west entirely and letting their more marketing savvy partner Nexon handle joint NCSoft/Nexon foreign affairs?

But the two companies aren't one, they're just...chums. Sort of. In as much as any union between two huge corporations is.

With that line of thought, CoH starts to look like a bump in the road, one to be flattened out. Sure, CoH is an entirely western idea, western icons etc., seemingly the perfect property to hand to Nexon and let them run the show...but I repeat, the two companies ARE NOT MERGED. I'm betting there's a million logistical and legal issues that would make a handover like that far more trouble than it's worth.

But if we assume the future path is clear for both companies (NCSoft work more at home, Nexon operate more overseas, all for mutual benefit) then CoH becomes a problem, not a solution. It's a bit of yesterday that needs to be trimmed off. Yes, conceptually it may be in accord with some future plan of both companies, but it's got too many deep roots to just dig up and transplant. Easier to chop it down, then get the new gardener in to plant something in its place.

So I'm curious now...is the plan that NCSoft retreats to the east and Nexon acts for both in the west?
Guess we wait and see.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 04:11:50 PM »
The idea has some merit, but it doesn't really add up with NCSoft's pushing of Blade and Soul onto the US market - if they were doing a withdrawl strategy would it not have been wiser to not announce B&S at all? (if they knew they were withdrawing by the time they shut down CoH they probably also knew it already when announcing B&S)
Guess we'll know if they announce one of these days that Blade and Soul's US/EU launch is cancelled.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 05:44:14 PM »
The idea has some merit, but it doesn't really add up with NCSoft's pushing of Blade and Soul onto the US market - if they were doing a withdrawl strategy would it not have been wiser to not announce B&S at all? (if they knew they were withdrawing by the time they shut down CoH they probably also knew it already when announcing B&S)
Guess we'll know if they announce one of these days that Blade and Soul's US/EU launch is cancelled.
Not to mention Wildstar.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Turjan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 06:26:32 PM »
I don't expect them to withdraw the launch of Blade and Soul, nope - there's no doubt at all that it will sell a shedload of copies to the boob-ogling faction of gamerland. Whether anyone will actually stick with the game after they've copped an eyeful though is another matter entirely. Boobs aside, the concept, world, story and so on is extremely Korean. Just as CoH bombed in Korea, I'd not be at all surprised if once the initial impact of the boobs (if you'll pardon the expression) is over, the players will just trickle away.

And if that happens, B&S-US will likely become just another MMO victim for NCSoft West - maybe they'll bury it alongside Lineage-US (RIP June 2011).

As long as Guild Wars 1 and 2 are alive though, NCSoft can't really pull out of the west entirely - but the combined playerbase (and therefore revenue) of those titles might be enough to offset the logistics of allowing Nexon to sneak in by the side door and take the reins.

As for poor Wildstar...
*shrugs*
Well, NCSoft doesn't tend to invest in a title that's never released...but it has been in development for a fair old while now, and with NCSoft's record to date of closing 5 out of 6 of their US based MMOs, I certainly wouldn't be putting a bet on Wildstar surviving long. If indeed it is launched - don't forget NCSoft broke with tradition when it canned a currently profitable title (our own CoH of course) so it's anybody's guess really.

But it does remind me that I need to upload another pic to the MMOKiller folder...

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 06:44:11 PM »
Can someone try to do a gif of my video ? maybe just the first part of it (no need for the CoH Tweet account (I meant the tag anyway) and the petition is far overdue now)
Yeeessss....

Turjan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 10:09:01 PM »
Converting your video to a gif would be an endeavour of craziness I think, essentially like taking a fighter jet that was modded from a biplane...and then trying to mod it back into a biplane again :o

Not to mention the size of the output gif, unless it was painstakingly edited and resampled to reduce the frame rate to the bare minimum. All seems a bit superfluous when you consider the original Zero Wing gif was only 18 frames and weighed in at 95kb

However...remaking a gif from scratch using that original Zero Wing gif and adding your text to it...now that might be a more viable project. I'll have a look, see if it can be done :)

Turjan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 01:39:57 AM »
I tracked down the original lightweight, no-animations-from-ingame Zero Wing gif, resized it up by 100%, and recaptioned it. The result, while definitely oldschool, is at least an order of magnitude less impressive than your video, lol

Anyway, here it is :-

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 07:41:15 AM »
That a nice start.

If you know a good frame-by-frame animation editor, just take my video, make it a huge gif(that why you need a good software), and cherry-pick the 30 or so frames to do that, you missed some frames.
Yeeessss....

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »
An idea... maybe.

What, behind NCsoft? It IS NCsoft.

This started as a little spontaneous thing that happened on the AP33 steps a few days ago, right after Ascendant went through the famous phone call speech. We all started doing improv NC monologues, and I ended up with something like...

Follow. But. Follow only if ye be heroes of valour, for the corridors of NCsoft HQ are inhabited by businessmen so cruel, so cold, that no warrior yet has negotiated with them and lived! Bones of 5 slain MMO's lie strewn about their lair. So, brave heroes, if you do doubt your courage or your patience, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, communication failures!"

Dunno. Maybe replace the logo with the Kaiju monster's head and the bandana. Or a closeup of the bunny with the bandana on, and game boxes laying around it, & a bloody CoH box hanging from its mouth. *shrug*

Mewkychan

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 01:23:50 PM »
I liked the "Wildstacked" image! So true, so true....

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »
The server failed to communicate is the error I keep getting with that photobucket link.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 03:05:14 PM »
Dunno. Maybe replace the logo with the Kaiju monster's head and the bandana. Or a closeup of the bunny with the bandana on, and game boxes laying around it, & a bloody CoH box hanging from its mouth. *shrug*
How about this? ;D

The server failed to communicate is the error I keep getting with that photobucket link.
Hmm, odd - works for me, I just uploaded this here pic to that account...  ???

If you know a good frame-by-frame animation editor, just take my video, make it a huge gif(that why you need a good software), and cherry-pick the 30 or so frames to do that, you missed some frames.
Alas, the ancient Zero Wing gif I found only had those 18 frames, and at the moment I don't have anything that can handle gifs other than PSP's Animation Shop, and it can't handle video imports :-\

Quinch

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 06:32:37 PM »

I think this has a high chance to spread among any of the images.

First off, I think we might still be a little early for the MMO killer stage of the campaign; that said, I guess it doesn't hurt to check out the ammo, just in case.

Anyway, a bit of analysis, if you don't mind -

The primary tool of parody is context. Ideally, you should be very selective how much you change the source material, almost to the point of minimalism. Add to it instead, reframing what it symbolizes.

First, lose the hat. I'm not sure if it's a reference to another meme, but it only detracts from the whole iconic picture of the Architect with no benefit that I can see. Memes, as a rule, are focused on making a single point - in this case, "NCsoft kills MMOs".

Second, use a different caption. The original line goes "But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." Now, it's hard to cram all that into a caption, so it needs to be abridged - something along the lines of "This will be the fifth time we have killed an MMO, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." "Destroy" is a very loose term in terms of games - it can range from design changes that drive away the players to an all-out shuttering. "Killed", on the other hand, tends to carry an air of finality around it.

This, finally, leaves one vital point to be addressed, which is what exactly is he talking about. That might best be conveyed via the screens - line up the logos of the MMOs so far {use the extra screen for Paragon Studios logo}. The arrangement also matters - if arrange them in ascending order, with CoH at the top, it will probably portray it as the most important one - place it at the bottom, and it will probably symbolize the latest in a long line.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 06:43:12 PM »
The hat is unofficially the common element that is present in a lot of the memes.

Click the photobucket at the top of the thread to see what I mean.

Quinch

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 06:49:28 PM »
What's it supposed to be, though?