Author Topic: More trying to contact NCSoft and other stuff  (Read 22991 times)

Manga

• Elite Boss
More trying to contact NCSoft and other stuff
« on: October 13, 2012, 01:36:15 AM »

Last Friday, I initiated contact via several email boxes at NCSoft; an "operation carpet bombing", if you will.  I was hoping at least one would get through, or that I would annoy NCSoft enough that a real person would contact me asking me to stop; at which point I would initiate contact with, and negotiate with, that person.  Rather than an offer for a buyout, I offered NCSoft the chance to license City of Heroes, so they hold on to the value of the IP, and earn a percentage of the profits, without having to pay the costs of operation.  Of course, they ignored me.

So today, I have initiated contact with Nexon.  I'm actually asking for Nexon's help; they are not the enemy.  Therefore, I'm leaving the exact content of the email private for now, until I get a reply from them.

I have one more plan I'm currently working on, but I'm keeping that quiet for now because I learned my lesson about posting info about things that I'm not quite fully invested in yet.  :)

More info to come...I hope.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: More trying to contact NCSoft and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 01:39:59 AM »
Today I began sending the PDF of the media story nicely put together about the substitution of Boobs and Shame for CoX to feminist bloggers.

This could be amusing.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 05:22:49 AM »
And this is why I am grateful for this board full of people so much cleverer than I. I would not have thought of sending it there, and yet it seems so obvious in retrospect. Thanks, VV!

TheManga, when you say you sent them this offer, did you do it as an individual or as a representative of a specific group or as a general "Please try something like this!" suggestion? I ask because I'm curious what has and has not been tried, and because I'd like to consider ways to help bolster your effort based on what your plan is should NCSoft actually respond.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 07:46:07 AM »
Today I began sending the PDF of the media story nicely put together about the substitution of Boobs and Shame for CoX to feminist bloggers.

This could be amusing.

Please tell me you sent one to Gail Simone!

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 11:36:50 AM »
Who exactly do you represent that you could make them an offer?

Also, as many of us have gone over in other threads, NCsoft will be more receptive to offers after their fiscal year ends when they can write off the Shutdown. Provided, between then and now, that someone doesn't kick up a shitstorm in the media about them that actually makes an impact on their stance, anyway.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
TheManga, when you say you sent them this offer, did you do it as an individual or as a representative of a specific group or as a general "Please try something like this!" suggestion? I ask because I'm curious what has and has not been tried, and because I'd like to consider ways to help bolster your effort based on what your plan is should NCSoft actually respond.

I have access to a software company and a development studio (both LLC's), so I sent the email representing those.  I did not mention the Titan network yet, though, because I assumed TonyV contacted them already - I wanted this to appear as a totally new offer to minimize its already high chance of being ignored.

The plan, I mentioned once before.  If they respond positively and agree, obtain a license to operate CoH, get the "keys to the city" so to speak, and then form a new Paragon Studios (this is mostly for tax and investment capital reasons, not just to avoid using an existing company) which would actually manage and run the game.  And then there may be some fundraising involved, or requests for volunteers to handle some of the transition work, because for the first few months, the game would have to operate and make a lot of changes without any previous financial backing.  But it would be a lot less funding needed than if the IP were bought out instead.

Anyway, it's a moot point so far since they haven't contacted me back.  I suppose they still could.  Who knows, miracles can happen.

I did PM TonyV saying I was going to take a shot at it after he posted that his own attempts to contact NCSoft weren't working, so he knew I was going to try.  He also knows my next step and why I'm contacting Nexon, but I need to keep that part quiet until I hear back from them.  :)

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 12:20:58 PM »
Who exactly do you represent that you could make them an offer?

Also, as many of us have gone over in other threads, NCsoft will be more receptive to offers after their fiscal year ends when they can write off the Shutdown. Provided, between then and now, that someone doesn't kick up a shitstorm in the media about them that actually makes an impact on their stance, anyway.

As noted above, I have access to both an small, active software company and a development studio.  I can only represent them for now - though I told TonyV I would be making an attempt, I don't really represent the Titan community.

NCSoft will not be more receptive once the game is shut down, that's an incorrect rumor.  They can write off the cost of licensing the IP and/or selling the game regardless, so they're better off selling or licensing it now while they can get more for it - especially since the shitstorm is already well in progress, and handing off CoH would stop it.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 04:14:15 PM »
 I would like to just see if anyone contacts you at all. They way they are conducting themselves in this matter is atrocious.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »
They way they are conducting themselves in this matter is atrocious.
Oh, on the contrary...  ;)

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 05:49:15 PM »
If a legitimate offered is ignored by a corporation, those behind the offer have the right to approach the stockholders of that corporation. I can name three different occasions this happened, and none of them turned out well for the CEO.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »
If a legitimate offered is ignored by a corporation, those behind the offer have the right to approach the stockholders of that corporation. I can name three different occasions this happened, and none of them turned out well for the CEO.
That's some good advice, Downix.
Not just for TheManga to pursue, but possibly also for Paragon Studios and any other interested parties there may be out there.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 01:18:44 AM »
That's some good advice, Downix.
Not just for TheManga to pursue, but possibly also for Paragon Studios and any other interested parties there may be out there.

That may be why I'm contacting Nexon.  :)

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 01:40:58 AM »
Yeah, as their biggest shareholder it's a smart move.  ;D
*crosses fingers* Here's to hoping they are more communicative than NCSoft has proven to be.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 12:21:37 PM »
Godspeed, Manga.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »

May the gods lend you the clout you need!

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 01:59:39 PM »
We await your return in the trenches Manga...may it be with even a glimmer of good news
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 04:32:51 PM »

This could be amusing.

Send me a copy when your done with that. My friend is a feminist and shes in a group. She can distribute it. I can let you know what their resposes were. I'll have her type something so i can copy paste for ya.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 04:33:53 PM »

Really now, well this is helpful info. I hope it works.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 04:43:29 PM »
Aye, wow. And even if this doesn't get us to the table, maybe we'll at least get an answer that makes sense.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »
Send me a copy when your done with that. My friend is a feminist and shes in a group. She can distribute it. I can let you know what their resposes were. I'll have her type something so i can copy paste for ya.
I could be mistaken, but I believe VV was referring to this: http://stormlord.us/NCSoft%20Realignment.pdf