Author Topic: Backing up the installer?  (Read 1870 times)

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
Backing up the installer?
« on: October 10, 2012, 11:56:59 PM »
Someone *must* have asked this by now, but I can't find it.  Anyhow:

It seems the installer can't be gotten from NCSoft anymore (or, even if it can, probably not for long). 

The installation on my computer is fine, but if something *did* blow it away (hard drive crash, virus, whatever) how would I restore it?  I've backed up the entire CoH directory, but would simply copying that back onto a restored HD/new computer/whatever actually work?  Looking through what installed, I really can't figure out if any of the executables are 'installers', unless I'm blind and not seeing it.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Backing up the installer?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 05:26:08 AM »
Once you log into your master account at https://login.ncsoft.com/login/loginform, you can access the launcher under Aion or Lineage 2 accounts if you have them. I am poking the Titan folks to see if maybe we can host the installer.

Incidentally, the launcher is a separate install from the game. It defaults installation to "C:\Program Files\NCsoft\Launcher" (depending on your windows version, it might be "Program Files (x86)").
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:34:28 AM by Aggelakis »
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 06:24:48 AM »

Defcon Kid

• Minion
  • CoH Forever!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:30:08 AM »
Does this work?

http://us.ncsoft.com/en/launcher/ncsoft-launcher.html

Yes it does... I usually play on my laptop but now is under repairment, and given the launcher is no more in my Master Account, I used this link to download the NCSoft Launcher and the game in my pc again.
Spanish and proud Defianter. 31 50s and counting. Proud co-leader of Fuerza Letal, Liga de las Sombras, Legion del Fenix and Infernal Justice. Also a happy member of Gammaforce and D.O.A., and now spreading tentacles to the other side of the pond :)

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 03:21:13 PM »
Does this work?

http://us.ncsoft.com/en/launcher/ncsoft-launcher.html

Yeah, I guess that does. 

But still, that will presumably quit working relatively soon. 

If a virus or something wipes out my HD next year (or even if I decide to get a new computer) and ncsoft has taken that down, is there a way to restore things such that I could at least still play my old demorecords?  Will just copying the game directory onto a new computer do it? 

I suppose I should just dig out an old laptop, copy stuff over, and try it.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 03:27:03 PM »
Yes, the only thing the launcher is good for is getting updates, and presumably there will be no more updates, so it's fairly useless at this point. You can run the game without the launcher by creating a shortcut to "cityofheroes.exe -launcher -project coh -auth 64.25.36.88"

If you just want a copy of the client, a simple file copy of the CoH directory is all you need. It doesn't need to be "installed" to work. That's been my preferred method of installing the game for at least the last 8 issues.

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 01:43:08 AM »
Yes, the only thing the launcher is good for is getting updates, and presumably there will be no more updates, so it's fairly useless at this point. You can run the game without the launcher by creating a shortcut to "cityofheroes.exe -launcher -project coh -auth 64.25.36.88"

If you just want a copy of the client, a simple file copy of the CoH directory is all you need. It doesn't need to be "installed" to work. That's been my preferred method of installing the game for at least the last 8 issues.

Sorry to restart an old thread, but:

I tried this.  On a new laptop, I copied my CoH directory from my desktop, made a shortcut to cityofheroes.exe, and set the shortcut target to

"C:\Program Files\City of Heroes\cityofheroes.exe -launcher -project coh -auth 64.25.36.88"

But when I try to accept that shortcut, I get a pop-up

---------------

The Name "C:\Program Files\City of Heroes\cityofheroes.exe -launcher -project coh -auth 64.25.36.88" specified in the Targetbox is not valid.  Make sure the path and file name are correct.

-------------

Any idea what the problem is? 

At this point, my main concern is that, in another week, I won't be able to get the CoH client working on any new computers.  If anyone does get any sort of server emulator working, it would be a pain if it only worked on computers that were running CoH pre-shutdown.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 02:57:22 AM »
Try this instead:

"C:\Program Files\City of Heroes\cityofheroes.exe" -launcher -project coh -auth 64.25.36.88

If you have quotes around the whole thing, it thinks the whole thing is the path to the executable, rather than a path followed by arguments. (You have to put quotes around the first part though, because without them it would think C:\Program was the executable you were trying to run.)