Author Topic: Other MMO Developers?  (Read 2392 times)

wufenstein

• Underling
Other MMO Developers?
« on: October 05, 2012, 07:47:01 PM »
Not sure if this has been suggested, but...

I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to try contacting some big names from the MMO industry (or even the gaming industry as a whole), not as potential buyers for the IP, but simply to speak out in support of the CoH community?

I think there's a argument to be made that NCSOFT's track record with killing off MMOs is hurting not only their own reputation, but the reputation of the genre and the industry as a whole. How many people who started playing MMOs with City of Heroes, investing hundreds or thousands of hours and dollars over the years, only to see it shut down at what could arguably be called its peak? How many of those people will swear off investing that kind of time and money in any game with a "service" component ever again?

It may or may not get much media attention, but a statement from a Mike Morhaime or a John Smedley or a (dare I say it?) Jack Emmert about how unhealthy this pattern of repeated abandonment is for the industry could raise awareness of NCSOFT's practices (and of what a bad investment they are as a customer) with a LOT of potential customers.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Re: Other MMO Developers?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 07:48:26 PM »
Now that is a BRILLIANT idea!

Best part? Through Positron, Hitstreak and the like, we ought to have the contacts we need to at least get access to ask them!

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 07:54:07 PM »
Couldn't hurt.
The worst they could do is say no.

Guardia

• Underling
  • Ninja Pirate
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 08:20:55 PM »
I wonder...

Would Richard Garriot be interested in getting involved?   ;D

-np

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:27:41 PM »
While such a move may influence public opinion in favor of us, I think it's really important to tell the industry leaders that this is a growing concern among us.  Wasn't there a crime game that ended 80 days after it launched?  It's getting to the point where the uncertainty outweighs the enjoyment.

"How do I know that the day after I buy this, or start this, everything isn't going to change tomorrow, like it did in CoH?"

A statement like that on board posts, game reviews, Op Eds, "state of the game" blogs, etc. would go a long way at raising public awareness of the pitfalls of today's online entertainment.

pandora114

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »
I've been begging Infinite Games to make an offer on CoH.  I have no idea if such a little guy can come up with whatever cash NCSoft is asking though even with their flagship MMO, MWO getting crazy good reviews and  already has paid off the development costs.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 08:45:19 PM »
APB was shuttered after that ridiculous short period of time. It has since relaunched though.
Hellgate London was released at the same time as Tabula Rasa, and closed almost a full month before Tabula Rasa did.

You don't... but then again, do you know if you are going to be hit by a car tomorrow whilst travelling to and from the shops?
Hellgate got bought by a Korean company and relaunched too. http://hellgate.t3fun.com/home/home.aspx
Though given the whole new "Tokyo" theme it makes me doubt the original announcement from a few years ago... maybe they are a Japanese company? O.o
Also; http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110208-Troubled-MMO-Hellgate-London-Gets-Free-To-Play-Resurrection

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 08:58:57 PM »

You don't... but then again, do you know if you are going to be hit by a car tomorrow whilst travelling to and from the shops?

No, but I don't purchase a walk across the street. :P

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 11:20:33 PM »
I would not say that CoH is at its peak. It has had ups and downs in the time I have played it.  It has certainly not jumped the shark, although the Mako week did arouse some jokes along those lines in my Friday group. :)

I have to wonder, given Lord British' experiences with NCSoft, if he would want to have anything to do with any association with us. Not saying that he has anything against us or would be unsympathetic, but there may be too a bad taste in his mouth from his previous dealings with NCSoft. We need to figure out a way to learn who was at the table in the talks between NCSoft and Paragon. Not the people from either of those two teams, but whether there were any other teams at the table, as well.

I don't think we need to contact someone who has already been shot down by NCSoft.  If Brian Clayton would be willing to suggest someone to talk to, I think that would at least tell us who was NOT at the table without violating anyone's confidentiality.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

RedWolfeXR

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 11:31:18 PM »
I wonder...

Would Richard Garriot be interested in getting involved?   ;D

-np

Hahahaha  they probably hold a little bit of a grudge.  If they had been inclined to trade IP for the $32M or so that they owed him then they would have given him TR...

Usually people who get sued and lose are not that anxious to pursue new deals with the guy that did so.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 11:34:11 PM »
I think the idea is more to get the game industry to look and say, "What? They got Lord British?"  I may be pinning too much importance on this guy (I don't think so, tho), but he's almost the Steve Jobs of computer games.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."