Author Topic: "...a realignment of company focus"  (Read 160607 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Re: "...a realignment of company focus"
« Reply #380 on: October 12, 2012, 12:11:03 AM »
Like!

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #381 on: October 12, 2012, 09:03:15 AM »
Oh - yesterday I came up with something in-game that I haven't mentioned here yet.

Caveat - it's a CHILDISH JUVENILE CHEAP SHOT and I'm well aware of it. But I couldn't resist.

"Taek-Jin Kim -  Because he's gonna 'Taek' all your games away!"

Unfortunately the 'ae' is pronounced like the 'a' in 'add'.

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #382 on: October 12, 2012, 09:19:15 AM »
From their FAQ;

Of course it's all in the eye of the beholder... "not a grind fest" could mean something completely different to them than it does to us.

They also said that all that was needed to make it appeal to a Western audience is altering the reward and spawn rates. So, once again, they clearly have no idea what they're doing in the West. NCSoftcore seems to be the gaming industry's equivalent of the Ugly American - blithely assuming their cultural norms are universal. And maybe that's a good thing, or with Nexon's investment they might require developers to add tentacle technology so that can more fully penetrate the Japanese market.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #383 on: October 12, 2012, 09:26:12 AM »
They also said that all that was needed to make it appeal to a Western audience is altering the reward and spawn rates. So, once again, they clearly have no idea what they're doing in the West. NCSoftcore seems to be the gaming industry's equivalent of the Ugly American - blithely assuming their cultural norms are universal. And maybe that's a good thing, or with Nexon's investment they might require developers to add tentacle technology so that can more fully penetrate the Japanese market.

....I see what you did there. >.>
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

V-Mink

• Lieutenant
  • Greenside
« Reply #384 on: October 12, 2012, 02:45:28 PM »
....I see what you did there. >.>
So did I, and what has been seen cannot be unseen.  :o

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #385 on: October 12, 2012, 10:31:06 PM »

OK, my brain read this in the voice of, I believe, Maurice LeMarche and replayed the video of the impossible boob physics.  I think I hate you a little bit, right now. ;)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #386 on: October 12, 2012, 11:24:36 PM »
Oh BTW - ran into this guy on Virtue tonight. Think we can do something with this? (I asked permission and he's cool with it. His bio is even a subtle satire on NCSoft already!)

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #387 on: October 13, 2012, 12:48:52 AM »
Oh BTW - ran into this guy on Virtue tonight. Think we can do something with this? (I asked permission and he's cool with it. His bio is even a subtle satire on NCSoft already!)

Suggest it on the NC Gangnam style thread.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #388 on: October 13, 2012, 12:54:33 AM »
Looks like an opponent for the NCzilla character.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #389 on: October 13, 2012, 06:01:49 PM »
LOL!
With B&S physics engine I have no doubt they'd be able to make some seriously wriggly tentacles.  :roll:

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #390 on: October 13, 2012, 06:12:26 PM »
And maybe that's a good thing, or with Nexon's investment they might require developers to add tentacle technology so that can more fully penetrate the Japanese market.

Re-quoted and re-bolded for additional ironic humor.  8)

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #391 on: October 15, 2012, 07:42:07 PM »

Sorry, I had just visited NCSoftcore's corporate website and they have the motto under Integrity "DEDICATED TO CREATING THE PLEASURE" (emphasis added). With the definite article in there and the all-caps font I read it as "The Pleasure" and envisioned a Doctor Who style group along the lines of The Flesh.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 07:50:48 PM by Kosmos »

V-Mink

• Lieutenant
  • Greenside
« Reply #392 on: October 15, 2012, 08:21:27 PM »
Sorry, I had just visited NCSoftcore's corporate website and they have the motto under Integrity "DEDICATED TO CREATING THE PLEASURE" (emphasis added). With the definite article in there and the all-caps font I read it as "The Pleasure" and envisioned a Doctor Who style group along the lines of The Flesh.

"Dedicted to creating the pleasure."

:o

Well, that explains Blade & Soul.

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #393 on: October 15, 2012, 11:29:36 PM »
"Dedicted to creating the pleasure."

:o

Well, that explains Blade & Soul.

[Scene]

View from behind of a man in a three-piece suit entering a ultra-modern glass-fronted building with the NCSoft logo over the door.

The camera follows him into a very crowded lobby and before we get a good look at the occupants it immediately pans up to follow his gaze to a marquee above the desk reading...

PASSION
THE POWER TO INSPIRE THE WORLD.

...as we watch it changes...

NEVER-ENDING CHANGE
THINK BEYOND IMAGINATIONS.

...and then...

INTEGRITY
DEDICATED TO CREATING THE PLEASURE.

The man drops his gaze to the lobby and its occupants, and the camera pans back to take in the whole room.

We see a large group of identical Korean men, recognizable as Taek-Jin Kim; all in drag with silicone-padded bras visible, badly applied lipstick and blonde wigs so poorly attached we can see the tape holding them on. The men-in-drag take notice of the man in the suit and turn towards him. They smile mechanically, maniacally, in unison, and walk forward with exaggerated hip swings and bouncing "breasts" while saying...

"Welcome to NCSoft, we are The Pleasure."

[Note: Those three slogans are taken from NCSoft's website. Notice that they got the grammar on the latter two a bit wrong? Using a definite article with pleasure, making it seem like a proper noun and using the plural "imaginations" despite seemingly referring to the abstract concept. It appears this $5B company with intentions of expanding its business in the West can't even be bothered to hire a truly fluent English speaker to do their English-language website content.]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:24:57 AM by Kosmos »

V-Mink

• Lieutenant
  • Greenside
« Reply #394 on: October 16, 2012, 12:22:06 AM »
[Scene]We see a large group of identical Korean men, recognizable as Taek-Jin Kim; all in drag with silicone-padded bras visible, badly applied lipstick and blonde wigs so poorly attached we can see the tape holding them on. The men-in-drag take notice of the man in the suit and turn towards him. They smile mechanically, maniacally, in unison, and walk forward with exaggerated hip swings and bouncing "breasts" while saying...

ANd now I'm thinking of 'The Rocky Horror NCsoft Show.'  "Give yourself over // to The (absolute) Pleasure...."

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #395 on: October 16, 2012, 01:06:30 AM »
We see a large group of identical Korean men, recognizable as Taek-Jin Kim; all in drag with silicone-padded bras visible, badly applied lipstick and blonde wigs so poorly attached we can see the tape holding them on. The men-in-drag take notice of the man in the suit and turn towards him. They smile mechanically, maniacally, in unison, and walk forward with exaggerated hip swings and bouncing "breasts" while saying...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*runs screaming off into the distance*

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #396 on: October 16, 2012, 01:50:42 AM »
I got yer "realignment of company focus" right here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM5rgsmtO4k

(note the "uncanny valley" face on top of the pole-dancing stripper's neck.  Codewalker was particularly creeped out by that)
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #397 on: October 16, 2012, 01:55:21 AM »
It's not just the face. The whole body is just distorted enough, the motions just off enough, to throw it right into Uncanny Valley. Worse, the motions are overtly sexual in the gross and crass sense. There's nothing alluring, nothing sexy about it. It's like it's designed to be unpleasant to look at AND make you feel bad for being caught in any way associated with it.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #398 on: October 16, 2012, 01:56:07 AM »

(note the "uncanny valley" face on top of the pole-dancing stripper's neck.  Codewalker was particularly creeped out by that)

I think you just burned my retinas with that one...

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #399 on: October 16, 2012, 01:59:47 AM »

Please tell me crab spider helmets come with eyeball-scours.  I sorely need them now.