Author Topic: Possible Call to Action: NUTS!  (Read 11753 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Possible Call to Action: NUTS!
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »
Right now, all were getting is word of mouth, outside some very nicely done pieces on gamer websites and some blogs. (iReport has gotten a lot of views, but hasn't made it to the mainstream, yet; in light of the last release from NC, I almost don't expect it to) Enough word of mouth, and someone will take notice in the mainstream. The idea is to keep the word of mouth going.

Just my 2p. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Sleepy Wonder

• Boss
  • MWM: Programmer, UI Designer, Bases
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2012, 10:25:34 PM »
First I want to say I like the idea of sending useful things, but I do have a concern. 

From what i've been able to gather, the purpose of this is to draw media attention.   Since the ballon over the border method of shipping is probably not a highly publicised thing, it may not garner the publicity we're looking for.   It would probably garner word of mouth, which is sometimes more valuable.   If they donated them directly to charity, that would probably get media attention.   I'd like to think they wouldn't pass them out as a bonus or set them on fire, but they do have a prechant for burning down useful things.

I would still support this, I just haven't seen anyone else mention these contextual things and it might be something to keep in mind.

See:
.... items, which will in turn possibly garner national media attention in the US and Korea, but that is not our primary purpose.

Pg. 2, Post #6

The purpose of this as mentioned several times is not for media attention. It just so happens to be a side effect we could take advantage of. The aim of this is to touch the human side of those who actually have any power to change their minds about the decision that they have exhausted all options.

Quick note on location: We're shipping these to the Korean HQ, not the Seattle one, right?

Not sure if serious... 2 posts above you should answer it, as should every other comment I've made in this thread. Not to sound snarky if you are being serious, but repeatedly having to re-answer the same questions is not something I'm going to be doing anymore. If you are interested enough I expect people will read through or at least skim.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2012, 10:40:05 PM »
That's just it. I DID read through it...and then saw somebody talking about sending to Seattle offices...after having read conversations about doing the "socks" thing in part because foodstuffs sent overseas would have been a customs nightmare. So I was firmly under the impression we were shipping it to Korea.

The post wherein I asked the question was in response to:

Quote from: dwturducken
I would suggest someone in the Seattle area "volunteering" to be the recipient of the socks, then deliver them

I didn't want to make a categorical declaration that he was mistaken, as I could have been mistaken, instead, but I wanted to draw attention to it just to make sure we were all on the same page.

no hero

• Lieutenant
  • Regens "do it" solo! :)
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2012, 03:32:03 AM »
I'm extremely interested in donating to this project, especially if it is one huge bulk order. Sleepy said it him self, IMPACT! You cannot hide, discard, or otherwise ignore something of that magnitude. It would bring attention to NCsoft's Korean doorstep which in turn makes #SaveCoH relevant topic in Korea's backyard.

I mailed my mask, cape, and letter, signed, forwarded, and re-forwarded the petition, stand in AP33 with torch in hand everyday and night, signed up for the Extra Life 24-hour gaming marathon, all of which are small efforts of an individual. I will keep doing this, but feel this energy is somewhat scattered, which is not necessary a problem. However, as stated in prior posts, every once in a while we need to focus our "attacks" to leave a serious IMPACT! (See, I quoted Sleepy again and where did your eyes focus?) 

Is this "Possible Call To Action" currently at a stand still due to internal disagreements, or is the research continuing to secure funds, flyers, and a merchant? 
Samantha:  "I have to ask you a question. It's a good one so think about it. If a Player and a Game love each other, but they just can't seem to get it together, when do you get to that point of enough is enough?"

Jerry:  "Never."

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2012, 12:11:12 PM »
I'm not sure what the status on this is, sadly. I hope we can make a move forward on it so we know both how we want to present it to the public and whether it is to be discussed on Oct. 20 to any media people who are attending; this isn't a media attention-grab, but a people-move to try and let NCSoft Korea know the verve and seriousness of things, so I don't want to make it crass. At the same time, I do want to support it however I can.

Sleepy, if you've got any further news, let us know, please! What is the current status, the next milestone, or the current hold-up? Are we moving towards the next milestone or are we waiting on something?

Thanks!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »
Personally - I plan on shipping a couple of hundred socks to Nexon and NCSoft.

Will be doing that this weekend.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »
Great! Were you the one with the wholesaler contact?

jeangray

• Minion
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2012, 03:13:23 PM »
I'm extremely interested in donating to this project, especially if it is one huge bulk order. Sleepy said it him self, IMPACT! You cannot hide, discard, or otherwise ignore something of that magnitude. It would bring attention to NCsoft's Korean doorstep which in turn makes #SaveCoH relevant topic in Korea's backyard.

I mailed my mask, cape, and letter, signed, forwarded, and re-forwarded the petition, stand in AP33 with torch in hand everyday and night, signed up for the Extra Life 24-hour gaming marathon, all of which are small efforts of an individual. I will keep doing this, but feel this energy is somewhat scattered, which is not necessary a problem. However, as stated in prior posts, every once in a while we need to focus our "attacks" to leave a serious IMPACT! (See, I quoted Sleepy again and where did your eyes focus?) 

Is this "Possible Call To Action" currently at a stand still due to internal disagreements, or is the research continuing to secure funds, flyers, and a merchant? 

I'm more or less of the same opinion as no hero....where are we standing on this?  I'm assuming it's still hung up on where/how to gather money.  Still think this is a great idea if it can get up and running!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2012, 06:41:57 PM »
Rather than wait - I will start the ball off and send some to them personally and then donate as well.

More is well.....more.

Sleepy Wonder

• Boss
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2012, 02:51:37 AM »
I have chosen to go with indiegogo.com. I have set up the account there and we are good to go once I go to my bank and set up a new account to receive the funds.

They wont let me put it live right now until the paypal receiving account is "verified" which means in the paypal account for this campaign it has to be linked to a bank account, and I'd rather not have it as my personal one.

I don't know how long this will take, maybe a couple days. It's 10pm here and my bank is obviously closed at the moment I'm writing this.

The good news is that the % they take is 7% (4% for indegogo and 3% for paypal processing). We're looking at $93,000.

Also, if we do not reach our goal, all funds will be returned to everyone and they wont take any fees.. the 4% that is.

The problem is if we fail, I believe, I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure we won't get back the "3rd party processing fees" which is 3%. So we kind of need to not fail.

As far as refunds go I don't know if for each refund they return every individual donation less 3% of it, or if the campaign owner is footed the bill. I'll try and answer this for you unless someone else wants to go ahead and submit a support ticket on indegoo.com to get a hard answer for the rest of us.

no hero

• Lieutenant
  • Regens "do it" solo! :)
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2012, 12:37:38 PM »
Rather than wait - I will start the ball off and send some to them personally and then donate as well.

More is well.....more.

Please feel free to do so, but I believe it would defeat the purpose of this "Possible" Call to Action. The idea is that the package arrives in one large delivery. To send yours outside of the bulk order would work against the surprise of ours.
Samantha:  "I have to ask you a question. It's a good one so think about it. If a Player and a Game love each other, but they just can't seem to get it together, when do you get to that point of enough is enough?"

Jerry:  "Never."

Sleepy Wonder

• Boss
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »
Please feel free to do so, but I believe it would defeat the purpose of this "Possible" Call to Action. The idea is that the package arrives in one large delivery. To send yours outside of the bulk order would work against the surprise of ours.

I mention this a few times, but you are correct.

As soon as the donation goes live I will create a more refined thread and suggest this one be locked.

Additionally I will be purchasing a PO box to solve the letter/item problem. Just no oversized stuff here. I'd like to keep it to a minimum (letters, small things, masks, pictures of your hero in action, etc).

When the time comes to direct people to mail those things I will probably give the option of emailing me a scanned letter, a typed letter in word, or something that I can print out on my end, so long as it at least has a signature.

Any ideas for a campaign name for the mailing address? I was thinking:

City of Heroes NUTS! Campaign
P.O. Box 00000
City, State 12345

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:33:06 PM by Sleepy Wonder »

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2012, 01:47:44 PM »
Wouldn't "SOCKS" be more appropriate than "NUTS" at this stage?

Or even go for a painful pun: "City of Heroes' closure SOCKS campaign?"

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »
Not to rain on your parade, we have lurkers on this board. They know what you know in this thread.

There isn't going to be a surprise.

If their PR department is worth anything they know exactly where all the pressure is coming from and they follow these threads. I know you believe one huge package is somehow better than a flood of smaller ones but while I disagree with that thought I will still donate to the main fund.

I think hitting as many shareholders as possible with smaller packages would do more than one huge bundle to the main office. The huge bundle will arrive on the back shipping dock and the local manager will accept it or since there is no surprise since the PR folks let them know its coming, refuses delivery. If he accepts it the HR people step in spin it and in tomorrows local paper there is a blurb - NCSoft donates a ton of new clothing to the poor.

I work for a huge company and that is how they roll.

I will as I said donate but I personally think you lose the impact of one huge shipment instead of 5,000 small ones that arrive every day for 2 weeks.

Sleepy Wonder

• Boss
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Not to rain on your parade, we have lurkers on this board. They know what you know in this thread.

There isn't going to be a surprise.

If their PR department is worth anything they know exactly where all the pressure is coming from and they follow these threads. I know you believe one huge package is somehow better than a flood of smaller ones but while I disagree with that thought I will still donate to the main fund.

I think hitting as many shareholders as possible with smaller packages would do more than one huge bundle to the main office. The huge bundle will arrive on the back shipping dock and the local manager will accept it or since there is no surprise since the PR folks let them know its coming, refuses delivery. If he accepts it the HR people step in spin it and in tomorrows local paper there is a blurb - NCSoft donates a ton of new clothing to the poor.

I work for a huge company and that is how they roll.

I will as I said donate but I personally think you lose the impact of one huge shipment instead of 5,000 small ones that arrive every day for 2 weeks.

And you don't think CBS knew about the impending peanuts? That campaign was carried out over CBS's own message board for the show. I could care less who is lurking on these boards, and if someone from NCSoft is, they're probably laughing their asses off.

I never expected this to be a surprise, and I thought about that before I even submitted the original post here. I also thought about a refusal of shipment. NCSoft would have to foot the bill to return it, and it would be much more simpler to call up a local charity for them to pick it up off their hands for free.

Thirdly, any corporation that would blatantly lie about the source of a donation is just asking for trouble. The potential backlash over such a lie concerning a charitable contribution would do their company more harm than it would be worth to try and lie about.

Now about shareholders, how do you propose we get the mailing address of hundreds of people who own stock in the company? When you figure that out, I'd be more than happy to start up a campaign directed at them.

As for individual shipments v.s. large shipments, neither is without pro's and cons.

But you saw where the mask campaign got us. It got us a [Placate].

NCSoft West called up the mothership, and the mothership pretty much gave them a stern look. It was never really NCSoft West's decision to shut down City of Heroes, even if ultimately someone there was responsible, but we'll never know for sure who the deciding individual was or where he was or what position he was in to make it should there have been alternatives.

This campaign is directly aimed at someone with at least some string pulling who can be hit in his own back yard - even if only for a moment.

As much of an alternate form of impact clogging their mail system would be with individual packages, I feel it has to be stated again that doing so in this particular case, with this particular campaign, we would not achieve a potential media opportunity as a side effect, as again, we would never know the true impact of our collective efforts.

I appreciate your disagreement and support for this, and I'm not trying to be snarky or habitually in disagreement with everything anyone says about this campaign, but I am just trying to keep it balanced and simple.

I have to think of all sorts of things like the % of people who would actually get off their butts to go to the post office, etc. I guess that makes me a realist, but think about it, do you not think we could get more bang for our efforts if we catered to a wider audience?

There are people who would like to see CoH saved but don't care ENOUGH to say, go to the post office and write a letter, or heck, even an email. But they'll take the time to sign a petition, or donate $5 to something worthwhile. But anything else? Yeah, those are the fringe players. They're the gamers that can shrug their shoulders and just move onto the next game because they arn't as invested. There's nothing wrong with them, but we could use every ounce of support we can get if we're shooting for $100,000 here.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2012, 10:26:17 PM »
Actually, I believe the major shareholders were listed, possibly even shown in a pie chart, in one of the earnings statements that I suddenly can't find the thread for.  I'll dig it up and edit it in.

Also, I believe this lists the smaller shareholders, but I'm not sure I'm reading it right.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."