Author Topic: A response to NCsoft  (Read 171120 times)

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
Re: A response to NCsoft
« Reply #340 on: October 09, 2012, 08:43:39 PM »
I'm finished aiming comments like this at any one person, and I'm also too lazy to pick apart everything everyone's said in the last two or three pages.  So instead, let me offer some general advice for all of us and hope it sinks in.

For the minority:

1) People take things personally.  I don't care if you didn't mean it, it's natural for a person to take something general, apply to themselves and get upset about it.  For those who have been saying we're going to fail, people are understanding that as, "nice try, loser" and reacting accordingly.  If you have an opinion that might come across as inflammatory, I would suggest a little proofreading before you hit submit.  If you really want such an opinion to help us save City of Heroes you'll work on a way of getting into people's heads such that you're not the anti-Christ (please forgive the religious reference). 

2) Somewhat contradictory, but if anyone says "That's it, we're done.  We're going to fail."  I'm sorry, but you lose.  Saying this will never, ever, ever get you anywhere on this board.  At that point people have already dawned their zombie apocalypse gear and are ready to eviscerate you.  How can you prevent this?  Don't say it in any way, shape or form.  Maybe then you can stop crying about how no one is listening to you and further contribute.

3) This isn't always easy,  but do you try to stay positive.  At least remain constructive.  Few people are going to fly off the handle when you post things like, "I disagree, <here's why> and <here's what I think could be done/said/etc instead>."  People will actually respect you if you do this.  But you must watch your tone.  And if you really have nothing nice to say, leave.  Now.  No one wants you here, no one will listen and no likes you.  If you dare to stick around, don't whine when people aren't hearing your opinions.  You want them heard?  Be nice.  Be constructive.  It's not easy, but you'll find a way.  I have faith in you <3

For everyone else:

1) Don't let a few negative comments get to you.  No matter what anyone says, they're just sitting behind a computer as you are.  As Tony has said, they're 'internet nobodies.'

2) Please try not to take every dissenting voice as a personal act of war on your effort within the campaign.  Most aren't intended to make you make mad and are not intended to hurt your feelings.  If said voice is, then you can safely assume they're a certain Hollows-dwelling-superadine-addicted individual and you can move on.

3)Stay strong and don't be afraid to speak, even when their are people out there being crucified because of their opinions.  No one's going to start chucking harpoons if you're being constructive.       

At the same time, not realizing that we are probably going to fail (at plan A at least) is very unrealistic, so we need to consider alternatives. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't try. Heroes don't give up!

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #341 on: October 09, 2012, 08:46:08 PM »
At the same time, not realizing that we are probably going to fail (at plan A at least) is very unrealistic, so we need to consider alternatives. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't try. Heroes don't give up!
Yeah, there is something to be said for denial.  But I don't believe that anyone here thinks we will succeed 100%.  Or even that it's likely.  If they did, the more malicious posts wouldn't phase us at all. 

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #342 on: October 09, 2012, 08:58:25 PM »
Forgive me for being a touch Polyannaish for a moment: Plan A literally cannot fail until NCSoft destroys every bit of code that would be needed to restart CoH. It's not over Nov. 30; it just is frustrating that there's an interruption of service at that point.

Okay, done with that.

Back to your regularly-scheduled antics for whatever Plan letter you're working on!

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #343 on: October 09, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »
Forgive me for being a touch Polyannaish for a moment: Plan A literally cannot fail until NCSoft destroys every bit of code that would be needed to restart CoH. It's not over Nov. 30; it just is frustrating that there's an interruption of service at that point.

Okay, done with that.

Back to your regularly-scheduled antics for whatever Plan letter you're working on!
I wish more people would realize that November 30th is not the end-times. 

sevda

« Reply #344 on: October 09, 2012, 09:12:14 PM »
Just trying to point out that the emotional reactions aren't all happening on one side of the fence. Ultimately, I think we all want to achieve the same goal here, and are better off if we try not to fight amongst ourselves.

More the 'responding to each other' part overtaking the 'addressing the issue at hand' part. The last thing we need is things degenerating into irrational personal attacks.

So it's okay for someone to go about accusing people of being abusers with little substance behind said accusation? I see how this forum works, then. As long as a person tows the "company" line, it doesn't matter what they say to/about other people as long as the other people are disagreeing with said "company" line. Nice to know.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #345 on: October 09, 2012, 09:13:54 PM »
You'll note that it's not people who are doom and gloom that VV called "abusers." It's people who come in and attack anybody who dares to try anything but giving up.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #346 on: October 09, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »
Fighting, arguing and finding fault with each other takes time, effort and brainpower.

Every bit of time, effort and brain power you put into arguing with someone here and trying to prove them wrong without coming up with an alternative option is time that isn't being put into trying to save CoH, or supporting the game, or efforts to survive if NC Soft has their way.

Guys, we are all here because of the game, its the one thing we have in common.  And unless we can work together, we won't have that anymore.

The energy that's being put into yelling at each other is much better spent in trying to find ways to keep CoH alive, or ensure we can still be together after November 30.

We dont have to agree on every little thing, but we're all supposed to be on the same side, and want the same thing,  aren't we?   

The more time we spend picking holes in each other and bickering, the less we're spending on thanking the media, sponsoring the gameathoners, working on plans A - Z and playing CoH.

We're acting like a PuG, instead of an SG ;)

Sorry for any mad typing. Using my smart phone.

--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #347 on: October 09, 2012, 09:16:44 PM »
You'll note that it's not people who are doom and gloom that VV called "abusers." It's people who come in and attack anybody who dares to try anything but giving up.
You beat me to it.

People are being attacked because of overwhelmingly negative viewpoints that ultimately offer nothing constructive.  Is there a reason that should be allowed to continue?  It's an honest question, and I've based my arguments on the fact that I cannot answer.  But if you can, please let us know.

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #348 on: October 09, 2012, 10:32:40 PM »
I wish more people would realize that November 30th is not the end-times.

Yes it is; it's just that there will be an afterlife for once the Final Judgement is declared. The heroes who were brave and did not stop even in the face of the end will be rewarded with a new CoH (or spiritual equivalent). The greedy corporate executives, unicorns, and moles will be tormented forever with envy that they can do nothing against! ;)

AlaikaBalta

• Underling
« Reply #349 on: October 09, 2012, 10:33:58 PM »
We're acting like a PuG, instead of an SG ;)

S'cuse me while I apologize to my housemates for LOLing in the morning. That aside, please don't feed the unicorns, especially with Superadyne and uni-hay. They'll eat your hand too and ask for seconds.

Unrelated side note: Sent a letter in response to NCSoft's response to our response to them shutting down CoH (That was a mouthful...). Also, been keeping watch on their stock price and been seeing them falling. Might want to crank up the publicity, guys.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #350 on: October 09, 2012, 10:35:44 PM »
S'cuse me while I apologize to my housemates for LOLing in the morning. That aside, please don't feed the unicorns, especially with Superadyne and uni-hay. They'll eat your hand too and ask for seconds.

Unrelated side note: Sent a letter in response to NCSoft's response to our response to them shutting down CoH (That was a mouthful...). Also, been keeping watch on their stock price and been seeing them falling. Might want to crank up the publicity, guys.

I agree with this.  I feel like our media coverage has slouched a little.  Media day will undoubtedly help, but that's still over a week away.  Any ideas?

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #351 on: October 09, 2012, 10:40:19 PM »
I think a press release about the gameathon would probably get people interested again.  A lot of money has been pledged.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

void hunter

« Reply #352 on: October 09, 2012, 11:10:45 PM »
OK, after minding real life for a bit, I came back and read the responses. You know what, you guys are completely right, and I was completely wrong.

I came in looking for a real movement that I could participate in. One that actually took steps to accomplish something. What I found was not this, and wasn't something I would be willing to align my real name with. So, what did I do? I tried to get people to see the folly of their approach and encourage real conversations with real facts. I see now that I was in fact very wrong with my approach, as these are things that will not be found here. You've made a believer of me, but only in the case that I have in fact wasted my time and effort even trying to bring about any change in anyone's viewpoint on this, and in the process create any chance that a plausible approach will be made for this.

Carry on folks. I'm sure one of your ideas will work towards making them do what you think they should, instead of finding out what they want and trying to find a way to accomplish it.

-Michael

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #353 on: October 09, 2012, 11:21:44 PM »
That aside, please don't feed the unicorns, especially with Superadyne and uni-hay.

OK, I'm taking THIS over to the Sunset forums!
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #354 on: October 09, 2012, 11:37:59 PM »
Carry on folks. I'm sure one of your ideas will work towards making them do what you think they should, instead of finding out what they want and trying to find a way to accomplish it.
Nope. Not bitter at all.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #355 on: October 09, 2012, 11:52:10 PM »
Just want to point out two tiny little things.  OK, not so tiny.

One: This entire board is entitled SAVE COH.  Not "Be defeatist about CoH."  "Sit around and tell sad stories about CoH."  And certainly not "Tell everyone on this board what idiots they are for daring to attempt to try to save CoH."  It's out there, open and above board.  Don't like it?  Don't post here.  Complaining that it is a "company line you have to toe" makes just about as much sense as going over to a "Save The Whales" site and complaining you have to toe the line about trying to actually save whales instead of writing eulogies for them.

Two: This board is owned and operated and funded by Tony Velasquez and the Titan Network.  Privately owned, operated, and funded.  It is analogous to a privately owned and operated lecture hall, where the owners are completely within their rights to have only the speakers they care to have speak.  "Free speech" does not apply here, except as Tony and the Titan mods decide it does.  Just as "Free Speech" does not apply on a privately owned and operated Fundamentalist Christian board, or a Save the Whales board, or a Left Wing Liberal board, or a Right Wing Libertarian board.  Don't like it?  Go fund your own board, where you can air your own opinions as freely as you like.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #356 on: October 09, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »
As this thread has continued, I've become more and more concerned at the progressive ratcheting up of the hostility.  Then I took my son to his anger management group. Somehow, those two things are related, but it occurs to me that the nasty appears confined to this thread, and everyone is kinda getting along everywhere else, mostly.

Maybe this thread can be where we blow off steam, yell, holler, scream into pillows, or beat each other up with Nerf pugil sticks.  I'll start:

VV is a doody-head.

Emu, seriously. What are you trying to say with that hair?

Rae, could you BE any more European?

Segev --  Actually, I really envy your writing and layout ability, so...  You must eat puppies, or something!

Was that too much? I can never tell.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #357 on: October 10, 2012, 12:04:26 AM »
*plants an ice-cream cone on turducken's head*

Now you're an ice-cream head.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #358 on: October 10, 2012, 12:16:49 AM »
As this thread has continued, I've become more and more concerned at the progressive ratcheting up of the hostility.  Then I took my son to his anger management group. Somehow, those two things are related, but it occurs to me that the nasty appears confined to this thread, and everyone is kinda getting along everywhere else, mostly.
Mostly because the posts of two specific people seemed to be focused on this topic.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #359 on: October 10, 2012, 12:18:05 AM »
<wipes ice cream out of his eyes, grabs two handfuls from his head, and flicks them at VV>