Author Topic: A response to NCsoft  (Read 171074 times)

omegaultima

• Underling
Re: A response to NCsoft
« Reply #180 on: October 07, 2012, 07:43:27 PM »
unicorns

...huh, did not know that was filtered.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2012, 07:44:37 PM »
Nice post TonyV.  None of this would possible without you leading us my man

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #182 on: October 07, 2012, 08:06:59 PM »
But why wouldn't people pay more for a game that they think is better than the other games? I look at it like cola. I like Diet Coke, and I'm willing to pay more for it than the Chek Cola or Diet Rite Cola, etc. They don't deliver the same value for me.
Now, I can understand that CoH doesn't represent value for everyone - but of these folks that are wanting CoH to stay, why wouldn't they pay more? I am certain that I'm not the only one who's looked at the other games out there and found them lacking in comparison to CoH.

That was kinda my point. Nobody wants something they enjoy to go away. And all the petition did was say we didn't want it to go away. But if you put your money where your mouth is, that might have more clout. Personally, I think we've been totally spoiled only having to pay $15/month (compared to wll that we get in return).
But I also have to agree with Knightslayer. Petitions don't really reflect actual numbers. It was just an idea I had, but if someone could tweak it into something viable....?
This game is VERY unique... it's not just another MMO. I usually expect to pay more for something rare and outstanding.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #183 on: October 07, 2012, 08:32:05 PM »
Exactly.

15 dollars a month? That's dirt cheap by just about any standard - any standard in an area that has broadband.
Sure, some children don't have that kind of allowance, and some folks may be on a shoe-string budget - but seriously? I can go on an impulse spending freeze and save 36 bucks a month. (I know this, because I've done it.)

I understand that some folks just don't have that kind of money. Things get tight, especially around the holidays. But, given the number of players I come across that have multiple accounts, I wouldn't see this as much of an issue at all. Mind you, I've not looked at the subscription data or any of the fixed or variable costs to do a cost-even analysis. To me, a micro-transaction is well, micro. Small. Sure, they add up, but I'd rather "know" that I'm getting 20 bucks from 20,000 people than wonder if I'm going to get anything from 200,000.

Conversely, I suppose with the hybrid model, it's better to "know" you're going to get 20,000 subs at 15 bucks a month plus wonder what else will drip in.  As a player, I just want everyone on equal footing. I don't want to be able to "buy" an amplifier unless the rest of the league can "buy" one, too.

I wonder how Marvel will do things...
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #184 on: October 07, 2012, 09:25:55 PM »
But why wouldn't people pay more for a game that they think is better than the other games? I look at it like cola. I like Diet Coke, and I'm willing to pay more for it than the Chek Cola or Diet Rite Cola, etc. They don't deliver the same value for me.

For me it would be a case of having to cancel my subscription if it was higher. I've been a VIP for 8 years even though I've been unemployed for the last 3 of those years. Raising the price of it would start cutting into basic necessities such as food, the mortgage, electricity, gas in the car for my husband to get to work, etc.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

Crowdertaker

• Underling
« Reply #185 on: October 07, 2012, 09:30:08 PM »
Has anyone talked about building a game we could use with in-game advertising that could subsidize running the servers?  I think that would be a great idea.  I would be willing to talk to my employer to see if it's something that can be done.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #186 on: October 07, 2012, 09:32:11 PM »
Has anyone talked about building a game we could use with in-game advertising that could subsidize running the servers?  I think that would be a great idea.  I would be willing to talk to my employer to see if it's something that can be done.
This was a pretty active topic for a while: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5231.0.html

frostcoh

• Minion
« Reply #187 on: October 07, 2012, 09:33:33 PM »

As controversial as this would be, i'm at the point where *anything* saving the game would be worth it, even if I had to look at a jpg advertisement for like Coke, or BMW or some crap while a mission loaded (not videos though that would be really, really annoying).

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #188 on: October 07, 2012, 10:04:41 PM »
Perhaps if we have a reward for interacting with ads that is non-in-game oriented, as well. e.g., if people want subscriptions but can't afford them, maybe actively interacting with ads can provide a small discount based on the number interacted with. After all, if the complaint is that they can't afford a subscription, the ads might be an avenue for them to directly help themselves out AND to get perks in-game.

Sponsored ads might even include a special discount coupon that, when used, can be activated for an additional discount to play the game. You were going to buy a case of coke for the week anyway; why not use a coupon to get $1 off AND to get $1 off a monthly subscription after you've bought it?

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #189 on: October 07, 2012, 11:13:28 PM »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #190 on: October 07, 2012, 11:23:13 PM »
Tick:  "Using words to shame. Critical, sarcastic, mocking words meant to put you down either alone or in front of other people"

Tick:  "Any negative form of name calling is unacceptable. If you feel that it is a put down, then it most likely is. There are names that are obvious and, without question abusive. Then there are the covert, veiled attempts to put someone down that are harder to identify. Verbal abusers love to use 'constructive criticism' to beat someone down down. If a person is constantly criticizing you, “for your own good,” be careful. This is the most insidious form of verbal abuse."

Tick:  "Blaming the victim. The abuser blows his/her top and then blames you for their actions and behavior. If you were only perfect they wouldn’t lose control!"

Tick:  "Your feelings are dismissed. The person refuses to discuss issues that upset you. They avoid discussion of any topic where they might have to take responsibility for their actions or words."

Tick:  "Criticizing - You didn't.. couldn't... shouldn't... should have... could have... never... must... it would be better if... you should be more like..."

Tick:  "Shaming - Shame on you. Why would you do that? You are so bad. You should be ashamed of yourself. "

Tick:  "Disrespectful - Says you don't know what you're talking about. "

Tick:  "Ridicule - Acts of contempt. Wah, wah, wah, you are such a baby. What an idiot. That's what you get for thinking. That's just ridiculous. "

I rest my case.

That's stupid! You're stupid!  I am telling you this for your own good!  I wouldn't have to act this way if you didn't make me!..... ;D  I agree with everything you just said VV I just couldn't help my self it seemed to perfect.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2012, 12:02:04 AM »
That's stupid! You're stupid!  I am telling you this for your own good!  I wouldn't have to act this way if you didn't make me!..... ;D  I agree with everything you just said VV I just couldn't help my self it seemed to perfect.

<hug>
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2012, 12:40:14 AM »
Also, one thing to remember is that you have to *justify* the increase in sub fee's. I know it sounds harsh, but I would rather have the content rolled out at a slower pace, then hike the price up for *all* people who wish to play the game. Sure you might get a *slight* increase in revenue at the start, but for every player that stops subbing, that is *more* money that you have to make up via other means.

I have to agree with this.  Increasing the sub is attractive to us because we'd be willing to pay it.  But a lot of people wouldn't.  I think we'd end up losing money before long, because saying to someone "You wanna sub?  It's only $20/month!" sounds ridiculous.  You'd have to offer A LOT to get a non-subber to pay that.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2012, 12:53:36 AM »
I have to agree with this.  Increasing the sub is attractive to us because we'd be willing to pay it.  But a lot of people wouldn't.  I think we'd end up losing money before long, because saying to someone "You wanna sub?  It's only $20/month!" sounds ridiculous.  You'd have to offer A LOT to get a non-subber to pay that.

what if we kept it 15 and kept the store but we added something extra that if you pay 20 you get. Something that only people who wanted to help coh and could afford would pay for but noone else would be pressured through "need". By need i mean, map or powers. Everyone will feel pressured by content thats why we pay for vip. Well, that and we are loyal. But noone wants to be left out of th fun.  So maybe for 20 you get a special title, name color change and a special aura.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2012, 01:08:28 AM »
what if we kept it 15 and kept the store but we added something extra that if you pay 20 you get. Something that only people who wanted to help coh and could afford would pay for but noone else would be pressured through "need". By need i mean, map or powers. Everyone will feel pressured by content thats why we pay for vip. Well, that and we are loyal. But noone wants to be left out of th fun.  So maybe for 20 you get a special title, name color change and a special aura.
I could get behind that.  Kinda like a three tiered thing, free, VIP and Super-VIP or something.  Extra points, etc would be a good incentive.

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2012, 01:17:35 AM »
Well, in response to the objections VV has been arguing against: we take the moral high ground, we may be able to call up enough pressure, political, social, and otherwise, to compel NCSoft to sell the IP. We take the moral low ground, and NCSoft can safely ignore us.

THe fact is that we, the fans, can't stop NCSoft from doing what they are doing. But the entire gaming industry backed by lawyers and politicians might. It all comes back to our slogan. We are hereos, and this is what we do!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #196 on: October 08, 2012, 01:18:21 AM »

For $20 a month, a free server transfer every month, four free whackypacks every month, and a special SuperVIP costume.  I'd pay for that.  None of these things "cost" the company anything.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #197 on: October 08, 2012, 01:21:03 AM »
For $20 a month, a free server transfer every month, four free whackypacks every month, and a special SuperVIP costume.  I'd pay for that.  None of these things "cost" the company anything.
That's the beauty of microtransactions.  Once a product for an online store is developed, sales are almost pure profit.  No reason we can't add an upper level of VIP.  If no one uses it, no money is really lost.  But if even a few people do, money is gained.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #198 on: October 08, 2012, 01:21:16 AM »
* DrakeGrimm watches his "GET ALL THE SHINIES" budget increase yet again, sighs, ponies up
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #199 on: October 08, 2012, 01:31:16 AM »
I could get behind that.  Kinda like a three tiered thing, free, VIP and Super-VIP or something.  Extra points, etc would be a good incentive.

yes extra points would be nice