Author Topic: A response to NCsoft  (Read 169910 times)

Zerias

• Underling
Re: A response to NCsoft
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 03:52:30 PM »
Leave Nexon alone for now.  I think we should attempt to work with them, and if we interfere with their business now via the press, they're going to shut us out before we even contact them.  We want to make it clear that NCSoft's behavior is the only thing messing with their business.

I would argue counter to that.

NCSoft's behavior is now putting Nexon's investment's at risk.  Nexon will have to do something to stop the bad press and publicity from NCSoft's complete mishandling of these events.

What that something is... is up for debate. I think Nexon's best bet right now is to use it's controlling interest in NCSoft to force a sale of the CoH property... probably not at the price, restrictions, or demands that NCSoft itself wants... but just to try and stem the flow of gamer backlash.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 04:01:44 PM »
Nexon may not have a "controlling" interest, just a large plurality. "Controlling" generally requires 51% ownership, so no combination of other shareholders' will can amass enough votes to stop yours.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 04:12:19 PM »
Nexon may not have a "controlling" interest, just a large plurality. "Controlling" generally requires 51% ownership, so no combination of other shareholders' will can amass enough votes to stop yours.
Majority requires > 50%.  Controlling may not require that much.  It all depends on how actively the shareholders participate in shareholder meetings and votes.  If the shareholders are mostly apathetic or votes among minor shareholders are almost always split down the middle, the number of shares Nexon holds may well afford them controlling interest.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 04:14:29 PM »
Very well put Tony.  I just really wish we truely understood who made this decision an how much support we may or may not have within the company.  Nexxon is still a question mark in my eyes...they could as easily be our opponant as our salvation and it still feels as if some crucial piece of this puzzle is missing.  <sigh>
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Mr. Wentworth

• Lieutenant
  • "I aim to misbehave..."
    • Real World Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 04:17:52 PM »
What a wonderful response to begin the morning with. Thank you, Tony!

I am glad to see NCsoft called out for their lack of decency and communication. I don't agree with the suggestion that we pursue 'kibun' as a strategy. I think it is an interesting discussion topic that distracts us from the purpose at hand. Thank you for your clarity and firmness in speaking our collective mind.

blue storm

• Boss
  • #savecoh
    • Freedom Academy
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 04:21:25 PM »
Kudos to TonyV for being our voice !
--

DeathSentry

• Underling
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 04:28:36 PM »
Fantastic reply!!! TY Tony for continuing to give us hope!!! :)

sl701

• Minion
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 04:37:35 PM »
Your words made my day, Tony. Very well thought out words. bravo!  :D

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 04:46:29 PM »
On another note, Plan Z is likely to succeed. We still have a lot of options.

Also, may I direct some attention here.

Many are our options, still. :)

Edit: Fixed link tags --TV
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 05:01:26 PM by TonyV »

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 05:09:10 PM »
Great post as always Tony! Keep marching folks, we're not even close to being done yet.
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 05:18:01 PM »
Most impressive, civil, but with a well delivered "I mean business" message.  8)
It's posts like these that keep people inspired and give us hope!

Papi-Desire

• Underling
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 05:19:21 PM »
hello ...

Nice job being done, I just hope it will be fruitful  :)

What NCSoft & any other companies should understand is that if they think they can come & shut down a game people spent so much time & money in, then it will mean we won't trust any other new game to go that far & after City of Heroes, why would I go & place my time & hard earned money in Aion (have it veteran), Guild wars 2 or Wild Star! Before I used to play CoH at least 2-3 hours / day after work, would be one of my best stress-killer. Since the announcement I've been playing only 3 hours till now & still only to finish some arc stories with may main character then taking screenshots for my dedicated facebook profile.

I sure hope it works well & we do get our game back on track.

keep it up

cheers!

JasaniAVA

• Underling
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 05:26:11 PM »
Hrm...

Well, if "Plan Z" means what I think it means, I may be of some (limited) help there.  Keep me posted, I have some experience in coding and server maintenance.  (Not as much as others here, I'm sure, but every semi-skilled pair of hands can help make a task easier...)

Enson Red Shirt

• Minion
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 05:26:32 PM »
nexon owns about 17%
insiders own 23%
investors own 60%
the way you get around a hostile takover from someone purchasing a majority of common stock is simply to have a series of a class of preferred stock that is held by the company and counts at say a 10 to 1 vote or a 100 to 1 vote etc. it is very simple to keep the company from being taken over even if 1 person owns 90% of the common stock

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 06:30:29 PM »
Tony,
I am continually amazed at your ability as a wordsmith. Well done.
Prof

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 06:35:50 PM »
nexon owns about 17%
insiders own 23%
investors own 60%
the way you get around a hostile takover from someone purchasing a majority of common stock is simply to have a series of a class of preferred stock that is held by the company and counts at say a 10 to 1 vote or a 100 to 1 vote etc. it is very simple to keep the company from being taken over even if 1 person owns 90% of the common stock

Thanks, i was just gonna say that but i thought nexon had 18-20%.

Enson Red Shirt

• Minion
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 07:12:33 PM »
after reading nexons quarterly minutes i liked finding this

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Valve-Acquisition-Nexon-NCsoft-PC-Gaming,18007.html

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:29:22 PM by Enson Red Shirt »

Enson Red Shirt

• Minion
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »
heres the structure from nc soft i was slightly off
http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/structure.aspx

Blacjac84

• Minion
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 07:16:12 PM »
I did remember that both Nexon and Valve dispelled the rumors of the takeover of Valve.

The rumor was that Nexon/NCSoft was offering $500 mil for it, which made some people question that since Valve turned down$1 bil from somebody else.

Flamazing Sally

• Minion
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »
Tony, your response to NCsoft is masterful.  Now, let us know how/where to direct our efforts.