Author Topic: A response to NCsoft  (Read 170754 times)

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
Re: A response to NCsoft
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 07:29:49 PM »
Majority requires > 50%.  Controlling may not require that much.  It all depends on how actively the shareholders participate in shareholder meetings and votes.  If the shareholders are mostly apathetic or votes among minor shareholders are almost always split down the middle, the number of shares Nexon holds may well afford them controlling interest.
Majority speaks for itself. When you're majority, you get to accept things just by yourself. Except when you've got a *blocking* share. That's below 50% (majority) and above somewhere near 25%, I don't remember how much. And what does that mean is that if you (the blocking holder) don't want something, even the rest 75% of the board can't get it. That's a bit more control than your minor investors, but that's not full control.
Yeeessss....

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2012, 07:37:42 PM »
Unless I'm reading those incorrectly, that only account for a total of 5.89% of NCsoft shares.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Amanita

• Underling
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2012, 07:56:28 PM »
Well said, Tony! I too am very suspicious that NCSoft wasn't really serious about negotiating anything.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2012, 08:02:20 PM »
TonyV, have you read everything on the "Kibun" thread? A couple things there that you may find quite useful.

Particularly important may be something darkquill mentioned on page 3.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6373036_south-korea-business-etiquette.html

South Koreans typically prefer to only do business with people they have a relationship with. According to Kwintessential, it is crucial to have a third-party introduction if you have never met or worked with a potential South Korean businessperson. This third-party person is typically called upon when a sensitive matter needs to be discussed.

This may be why SaveCoH (and any other company who is interested in the IP) keep hitting a wall with trying to negotiate a sale. Add to that the fact that NDA's are probably making PS's efforts to get more investors almost impossible, and it's easy to see both the rock and the hard place.

So my first question in light of this info is, has anyone given your name to the bigwigs in Korea? That may be what is necessary to get you in the door to find out what the heck is (or isn't) going on. Who knows just how strict these business guidelines are, but perhaps someone from PS who has already dealt with NC, needs to introduce you. This might even be more necessary n the current situation, if NC realizes exactly what your relationship with the CoH community is. The idea of the leader of the resistance movement coming in, may actually be a bit intimidating for them.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
We know we have at least one link to Brian of formerly-Paragon, and that he HAS done direct business with them. If we need a third party for introductions, he would be a good person to ask.

Heavy Ion

• Minion
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »
And here I was thinking the best attack chain with Titan Weapons was Rend Armor > Follow Through > Arc of Destruction > Crushing Blow > Whirling Smash. TonyV's is better.

TigerKnight

• Underling
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 08:14:36 PM »
We need a podium for Tony to stand behind and repeat what he wrote here and put it on you tube. Well thought out and very insperational.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2012, 08:16:12 PM »
Darn it, TigerKnight, now I want to see somebody comb through Obama and Romney speeches and pick one-word-at-a-time clips to build TonyV's speech.

Blacjac84

• Minion
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2012, 08:22:04 PM »
Why not have TonyV's favorite toon behind a podium, with a voice-over by the man himself?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2012, 08:27:43 PM »
Now I'm picturing a cross between Robot Chicken and Action Figure Therapy for this. I may have picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Enson Red Shirt

• Minion
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2012, 08:43:29 PM »
even for such a large company they have a relatively small share structure about 20 mill shares outstanding at aprox 211.78 usd a share or 235500 South Korean won per share

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2012, 08:47:45 PM »
Darn it, TigerKnight, now I want to see somebody comb through Obama and Romney speeches and pick one-word-at-a-time clips to build TonyV's speech.

That'd take a good amount of effort.  I've been working on making Obama sing a song clipped together from words taken from some speeches, and every word is a fraction of a second.  And if you need a word that he doesn't say, you have to splice it together from other words.  Suppose at least for this you wouldn't have to worry about the timing of it.  Just putting into perspective the kind of work required to do this.

Dr Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • Dr Shadow Champion server/ @Leila_L twitter
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2012, 08:53:33 PM »
Dr Shadow- Champion Server @Leila_L twitter

Spellcaster Hana

• Minion
  • City of Heroes will always and forever be my home.
    • Hana's Deviantart
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2012, 09:11:12 PM »
Thanks for the response Tony. I've been down after reading NCsoft's response to us but thanks to your post, I got back up again. As from what I understand, they are trying their best to demoralize us.
I agree that we should figure out how we can change their mind to sell the game as I really don't get how they've "exhausted all options" to sell it. It's more like " We-tried-but-we-didn't-try-hard-enough-because-we-decided-to-kill-it-anyway-so-screw-you-guys". Like I said, I don't think they've really tried anything at all. What I mean is, Maybe they've tried offering the game to some company around Asia or Korea but have they considered selling it to a company in the West? From what I've heard, many companies on our side want the game saved and would have bought it off their hands if they were going to seriously sell it. I think we should put more pressure and be more aggressive with NCsoft as they are trying to get rid of us by giving us a BS response. They are taking us lightly and they don't see us as a threat. We should offer them a challenge they can't refuse and we should all work harder than we do now. Drastic times call for drastic measures. As long as there are plans in our community and changing their minds, I won't give up just yet.
"Sometimes, crossing the line is necessary in order to move forward."
"ALL HAIL EMPEROR COLE!!!" ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
----------
My Deviantart: http://hanariblue.deviantart.com

dior

• Minion
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2012, 09:16:35 PM »
Probably a really stupid question, but, if we cant get NCSoft to listen to us as players, is there anyone out there prepared to "pool" together funds to buy sufficient shares in the company to give us rights to attend an AGM and demand answers, and or, buy enough shares to call an Extraordinary AGM, or, does anybody have contacts within the major shareholders lists who could push buttons to get investors to either demand answers or sell their holding in protest?

I wonder how many investors have been approached to see if they actually play the game?

What about emailing these investors to point out they are investing in a company which makes decisions without giving reasons for example?

I know it sounds desperate, but then again, if we found a shareholder who plays the game, NCSoft will get shouted at from "the people who pay their salaries".

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2012, 09:23:53 PM »
Probably a really stupid question, but, if we cant get NCSoft to listen to us as players, is there anyone out there prepared to "pool" together funds to buy sufficient shares in the company to give us rights to attend an AGM and demand answers, and or, buy enough shares to call an Extraordinary AGM, or, does anybody have contacts within the major shareholders lists who could push buttons to get investors to either demand answers or sell their holding in protest?

I wonder how many investors have been approached to see if they actually play the game?

What about emailing these investors to point out they are investing in a company which makes decisions without giving reasons for example?

I know it sounds desperate, but then again, if we found a shareholder who plays the game, NCSoft will get shouted at from "the people who pay their salaries".
This has been discussed before.  Seems that the consensus was that buying a sufficient amount of shares to make a difference would be way too expensive to be realistic.  Your other ideas are interesting though, and I don't know if they've been tried out yet.  I do imagine, though, that if someone knew an investor they would have spoken up.  But you never know.

naztmann

• Underling
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2012, 10:08:25 PM »
TonyV, you are doing amazing with keeping this thing trucking on. We are all still in this with you.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2012, 10:10:36 PM »
TonyV, you are doing amazing with keeping this thing trucking on. We are all still in this with you.
Hi there.  Thanks for joining :)

SnowJackal

• Underling
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2012, 10:39:28 PM »
I don't have anything really thoughtful or interesting to add, except thank you, TOnyV. Your letter pretty much just inspired me the way the ID4 speech does!
I'm linking it in many places!
http://furryjackal.tumblr.com/post/32898025343/a-response-from-tonyv-to-ncsoft