Author Topic: A request from the Plan Z side  (Read 14246 times)

Mantic

• Boss
Re: A request from the Plan Z side
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
The key is to acknowledge their efforts, and then reach consensus. There is no I in team...

Ask Brainy Smurf or the Cavalier how groupthink diplomacy works.

Nah, I'm not sure you get it.

Although offered through gritted teeth, my advice earlier is exactly the thing you need to do to avoid nasty disappointments all around, if not complete disintegration. Even if I resented your efforts enough to wish that on you (I don't), it's something that will come over the course of months and years, so would not keep Plan Z from diverting energy and enthusiasm from City of Heroes rescue or preservation efforts. Listen to Minotaur and others who've been though similar experiences if you don't like my delivery.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »
Ask Brainy Smurf or the Cavalier how groupthink diplomacy works.

Nah, I'm not sure you get it.

Although offered through gritted teeth, my advice earlier is exactly the thing you need to do to avoid nasty disappointments all around, if not complete disintegration. Even if I resented your efforts enough to wish that on you (I don't), it's something that will come over the course of months and years, so would not keep Plan Z from diverting energy and enthusiasm from City of Heroes rescue or preservation efforts. Listen to Minotaur and others who've been though similar experiences if you don't like my delivery.
Ah, but we already began doing what he suggested. This is not my first rodeo here either.

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 06:01:45 PM »
Titan staff: thank you for giving SithRose the authority to make the new sub-forums. I think this will streamline us a lot! :)

Minotaur and others. Noted. Thank you, Mantis.

Downix, I don't know exactly what Minotaur said, but if we are already implementing it, then good (and we are glad to have your experience as well).

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2012, 06:08:43 PM »
Titan staff: thank you for giving SithRose the authority to make the new sub-forums. I think this will streamline us a lot! :)

Minotaur and others. Noted. Thank you, Mantis.

Downix, I don't know exactly what Minotaur said, but if we are already implementing it, then good (and we are glad to have your experience as well).
This is what he said:
I actually agree with some of the sentiments you express, and what needs to happen is that a smallish team of people need to ruthlessly go through the ideas and concoct a clear vision and set of guidelines as to what is going to be built. That is a difficult and thankless task but has to be done fairly early in the process if it's going to succeed. Having seen some large corporate IT disasters in my previous day jobs (mainframe programmer/analyst/DBA/general troubleshooter), I'm aware of the pitfalls of not having a clear purpose at the beginning. Going with a sub-optimal but clear plan is better than going with an unclear better one unless it's massively sub-optimal.

Mostly focused on the server-side right now, to let the creative bits get some of their mojo going before we begin breaking them down.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 07:11:31 PM »
Plan Z is only going to be needed if NCSoft rfuses to sell the game to another punlicher, rfuses to sell the game to the players, refuses to sell the IP to the players, or Paragon Studios reforms as a new studio and starts work on a new superhero MMO - all of those options are not only way more preferable than PLlan Z, they're also way more practical - if any of them happen, then Plan Z would be dropped at once.
Trying to make a player-made and run MMO would be a ginormous amount of work, and there's nothign worng with laying the groundwork for it just in case November 30ths turns out to be bad - the more we have in place by then, the more we can energize the CoH community and show them that it's not over, no matter what NCSfot might think.

There seems to be some tind of misunderstanding that there's a Plan Z vs CoH split - there isn't - everyone wants CoH to be saved, or for the devs to form a new studio and give us another superhero MMO - but as neither of those are guaranteed yet, some of us think it's also sensible to makes plans for another way to fill the CoH-shaped hole that we'd all be left with if the worst happens.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »
I suspect that certain pieces of Plan Z are going to find their way into print even if CoH is saved, but that way that they'll appear in print is probably going to be Mission Architect. ;)

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2012, 04:55:00 AM »
Please explain this one also. Many of us are concentrating on Plan Z because there is also little that we can do to aid the effort to save CoH, apart perhaps from moral support. How are we derailing you?

Actually, you could join the effort I am attempting to organize, with little recruitment yet, to record most content in the game. http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5428.0.html