Author Topic: False Advertising  (Read 6320 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: False Advertising
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 12:18:11 AM »
Let me short form what happened in my own legal case.

We had an accidental fire in my husband's studio.  It occurred mere minutes after we returned from a long trip.  Everyone agreed it was an accident.  The investigator.  The fire department.  The evidence.

My insurance company then attempted to say it was arson, based on the fact that there were volatile chemicals and oil in the carpet.  (IT WAS AN ART STUDIO!  ARTISTS USE VOLATILE CHEMICALS AND OIL!  AND THEY SPILL A LOT!)  Completely ignoring the fact that their own investigator found it was started by an electrical short.

We had to sue.  A year later, increasing depression (I was popping 3 prozac a day, my husband was popping 4), being told Larry's damaged drawings and paintings were "worth nothing", and having had the insurance companies lawyers read the gay "sex scenes" from the Herald-Mage books into the pre-trial record (I am not making this up.  And I had to answer yes or no to whether I wrote them--it was obvious they were going to actually use these scenes as an attempt to prejudice a rural Oklahoma jury against us) and bring up every book or story I ever wrote with "Fire" "Flame" or "Burn" in the title as evidence that I was a pyro (I am not making that up either) we went into arbitration.  We ended up getting back about half of what we had spent on rebuilding the studio and cleaning and saving what we could.  Which means, essentially, we were now deeply in a financial hole, as well as a psychiatric hole.

This was the outcome with a solid case.  This is why I would only advocate a class action suit where there was some kind of evidence that we could win...the "no refunds" might, maybe, barely, have had a chance, and NCSoft took care of that by offering refunds.  So right now, I stand with the legal eagles in saying "For Godssake don't go there."
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 12:19:32 AM »
Anywhere specific you had in mind? Not sure where - the 'Sunset project' may or may not be relevant... will probably only become relevant if NC decides to go ape over it.

I'm not familiar enough with the rest of the Forum to suggest.  Anyone got any thoughts?
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 12:22:36 AM »

We had an accidental fire in my husband's studio.  It occurred mere minutes after we returned from a long trip.  Everyone agreed it was an accident.  The investigator.  The fire department.  The evidence.

My insurance company then attempted to say it was arson, based on the fact that there were volatile chemicals and oil in the carpet.  (IT WAS AN ART STUDIO!  ARTISTS USE VOLATILE CHEMICALS AND OIL!  AND THEY SPILL A LOT!)  Completely ignoring the fact that their own investigator found it was started by an electrical short.

We had to sue.  A year later, increasing depression (I was popping 3 prozac a day, my husband was popping 4), being told Larry's damaged drawings and paintings were "worth nothing", and having had the insurance companies lawyers read the gay "sex scenes" from the Herald-Mage books into the pre-trial record (I am not making this up.  And I had to answer yes or no to whether I wrote them--it was obvious they were going to actually use these scenes as an attempt to prejudice a rural Oklahoma jury against us) and bring up every book or story I ever wrote with "Fire" "Flame" or "Burn" in the title as evidence that I was a pyro (I am not making that up either) we went into arbitration.  We ended up getting back about half of what we had spent on rebuilding the studio and cleaning and saving what we could.  Which means, essentially, we were now deeply in a financial hole, as well as a psychiatric hole.

This was the outcome with a solid case.  This is why I would only advocate a class action suit where there was some kind of evidence that we could win...the "no refunds" might, maybe, barely, have had a chance, and NCSoft took care of that by offering refunds.  So right now, I stand with the legal eagles in saying "For Godssake don't go there."

And people thought I was just quoting a movie...
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 02:57:13 AM »

o.O

See, it's reasons like this why I question what good insurance companies do.

I'm really sorry to hear you had to go through that.

And people think my place of business is teh evil.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 03:56:34 AM »
And people wonder why we love superheroes (AKA vigilantes).

Gee, could it be... taking the law into one's own hands is the only thing that works, since the people who are supposed to do it... aren't?

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 04:03:41 AM »
And people wonder why we love superheroes (AKA vigilantes).

Gee, could it be... taking the law into one's own hands is the only thing that works, since the people who are supposed to do it... aren't?

Where'd I put those plans for a costume...
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

uninventive

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 04:46:59 AM »
It's like a wedding on your raining day.
Like a free riiiiiiide, whenya already paid?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 04:57:24 AM »
Like a free riiiiiiide, whenya already paid?

Alright... this train of thought will end now.  8)

uninventive

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 06:03:56 AM »
Didn't care to sing the whole song, just glad the entendre was appreciated. :D

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 02:33:28 PM »
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms