Author Topic: State of the Titan  (Read 106874 times)

Manga

• Elite Boss
Re: State of the Titan
« Reply #220 on: September 27, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »
Out of curiosity, does anybody actually have experience with people being stuffed in lockers? I know, a touch off-topic, but I'm wondering whether this is just a meme that is associated with bullying but doesn't really happen IRL, or if it is a thing that really does happen.

I was never stuffed into a locker, which is funny because I would have actually fit.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #221 on: September 27, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »
Neat!

I actually didn't know that servers could have multiple instances of a public zone; I suppose it's more for client sanity than anything else, since the servers would have to maintain all the data and activity in all instances regardless.

Well... yeah... if it was all one zone, many video cards would've had a meltdown.

I tried running Leandro's "5000" demo-recording and CoH crashed out on the load screen after about 10 minutes of caching.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #222 on: September 27, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »
Quote from: StarRanger4 link=topic=5275.msg54689#msg54689
and its not just for client connections, remember the server has to keep track of where everyone is and what they are doing in order to tell the clients what they 'see'.  Its as much to keep the server able to keep up with the data load as the client

And it's a method of distributing the load as well. Different instances of a zone could easily be running on different physical servers.

That's why the devs tend to call things like Virtue and Freedom "shards" rather than "servers". The mapping between shards and server hardware isn't even close to 1:1. With new servers it wouldn't surprise me if more than one low-pop shard could be running off a single server, while Virtue during the rally might have spread across several.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #223 on: September 27, 2012, 04:53:41 PM »
Out of curiosity, does anybody actually have experience with people being stuffed in lockers? I know, a touch off-topic, but I'm wondering whether this is just a meme that is associated with bullying but doesn't really happen IRL, or if it is a thing that really does happen.

Not personally, but I saw it done. The one time anyone tried to stuff me into a locker, it was head-first, with the door closed.

I also have a feeling that the narrower locker was actually built to prevent "stuffing."

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #224 on: September 27, 2012, 05:01:06 PM »
I also have a feeling that the narrower locker was actually built to prevent "stuffing."

Actually those are to put more lockers in the same space.  Just like airline seats.

TheBeatnik

• Minion
« Reply #225 on: September 27, 2012, 05:02:25 PM »
I think a "Sister Cities" style rally wouldbe a good thing, but may be a little more interesting, logistically. I have about half a dozen other games installed from trying out the games as they went free, but I reasonably confident I'm in the minority, there.

But would we be welcome? I don't mean getting locals to join in, even briefly or jokingly. Unity was was initially mistaken for and misrepresented as an intentional disruption. Would those unsympathetic to us or unaware of us end up pissed at us for "disrupting their game?"

That's why working WITHIN their community, via forums, etc, would be of the utmost importance. The goal would be to get the native population of the game involved to the extent that it would be their event as well as our own. That CoH shares players with a number of games would be a good point to start from- I'm playing TSW these days, for instance, and know of plenty of others who've enjoyed both games.

If we were simply to come in as outsiders, not only would our message likely be misperceived, but we'd be generating negative publicity as well. Instead, we'd want to build from common ground- we love our games, we love our community, and we will fight to the last for them.

When I see folks on Massively.org responding to Tim the Enchanter's video with comments like " I've never been a COH player, but man I hope you guys get across to NCSoft and at least spur talks of future hosting of the servers," it tells me that our support extends far beyond the reaches of Paragon City.

Anyway, lunch break is almost over. Thanks for listening!

The Beatnik

Quinch

« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2012, 05:26:46 PM »
Well... yeah... if it was all one zone, many video cards would've had a meltdown.

I tried running Leandro's "5000" demo-recording and CoH crashed out on the load screen after about 10 minutes of caching.

I remember a time when it did, or at least several hundred. It was during some sort of anniversary event, I think. Atlas lagged like you wouldn't believe, especially near one of the devs {Cuppa maybe?} who was handing out titles.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2012, 07:35:55 PM »
250 in a Hamidon raid on Champion and the game was like a slideshow the first time we defeat Hamidon there.

lmollea

• Underling
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2012, 08:07:14 PM »
Sorry I really didn't mean to cause unrest. I did read (honestly quickly and with some interruptions) all the 9 pages of previous posts and maybe I missed something (as I said, I'm not english, so please be kind, there is even someone on the other side of the atlantic ocean that would like to se CoH not closing down).

I understand that someone unloading a whole two screen of text as his first post is not the best way of saying hi, but please, I didn't mean to troll. I was quite saddened by being considered a "troll", but I was honestly trying to contribute with all the thoughts (and rants) I gathered in the latest three weeks. As I said I'm not a CoH subscriber, and I couldn't go on official forums and spoke my thoughts, but I wanted to contribute at least to focus the possible actions on realistic chances of success and on feasible alternatives. Last thing I'd like to happen is volunteers around the world be sued by NCSoft for patent infringements or IP violations or whatever else they may come up.

Again, sorry for the mess.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #229 on: September 27, 2012, 08:11:07 PM »
Sorry I really didn't mean to cause unrest. I did read (honestly quickly and with some interruptions) all the 9 pages of previous posts and maybe I missed something (as I said, I'm not english, so please be kind, there is even someone on the other side of the atlantic ocean that would like to se CoH not closing down).

I understand that someone unloading a whole two screen of text as his first post is not the best way of saying hi, but please, I didn't mean to troll. I was quite saddened by being considered a "troll", but I was honestly trying to contribute with all the thoughts (and rants) I gathered in the latest three weeks. As I said I'm not a CoH subscriber, and I couldn't go on official forums and spoke my thoughts, but I wanted to contribute at least to focus the possible actions on realistic chances of success and on feasible alternatives. Last thing I'd like to happen is volunteers around the world be sued by NCSoft for patent infringements or IP violations or whatever else they may come up.

Again, sorry for the mess.

I think you were fine, just a little bit of language barrier. No huge deal. :) Welcome to the party, Imollea. You're among friends, here.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #230 on: September 27, 2012, 08:19:42 PM »
I understand that someone unloading a whole two screen of text as his first post is not the best way of saying hi, but please, I didn't mean to troll. I was quite saddened by being considered a "troll", but I was honestly trying to contribute with all the thoughts (and rants) I gathered in the latest three weeks.

I went back and read the chain. While I can't speak for the people involved, I really don't think the part about trolls was directed at you, especially since that was broken into a separate post.

I didn't see your post as particularly negative, just some pragmatic thoughts -- some of which had already been brought up somewhere in the huge haystack of recent traffic (good luck finding them), and some which hadn't.

There were some other posts around the same time in various threads that I believe were being discussed. It was just bad timing that it happened to be brought up right after the replies to yours.

Also, welcome to the forums!

LtlBtyRam

• Minion
« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2012, 08:58:14 PM »
I went back and read the chain. While I can't speak for the people involved, I really don't think the part about trolls was directed at you, especially since that was broken into a separate post.

I didn't see your post as particularly negative, just some pragmatic thoughts -- some of which had already been brought up somewhere in the huge haystack of recent traffic (good luck finding them), and some which hadn't.

There were some other posts around the same time in various threads that I believe were being discussed. It was just bad timing that it happened to be brought up right after the replies to yours.

+1 to CodeWalker's post
And I too will welcome you to the forums  ;D

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #232 on: September 27, 2012, 10:19:37 PM »

Indeed. And thank you for your feedback. :)
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #233 on: September 27, 2012, 10:58:04 PM »
Also, can somebody who isn't on a work computer confirm whether or not you can actually create a new account in CoH/V at this time?

You cannot create a new account in CoH/V, according to the latest official notice from NCSoft.  I haven't actually tried to, but it would not surprise me that they turned that function off.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #234 on: September 27, 2012, 11:01:12 PM »
Drat. There goes my thought on trying to get a "Media Day" running. I won't embarrass myself by starting a thread to organize it, then!

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2012, 11:19:26 PM »
Now now... we're heroes...

And geeks...

We troll the trolls in such a way they don't realize they're being trolled until their argument has been reduced into itty bitty microbes of dust.
why did I suddenly get a "Men in Tights, Toll Bridge" scene flash?
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #236 on: September 27, 2012, 11:23:19 PM »
That's why I am trying to stay on target with this, Segev.  They have made it clear they have no intention of reviving the game (and at this point I am inclined to agree with others that have said that they can't within their own culture, because doing so would "prove" they were "wrong.")

All I want is to pressure them into releasing the IP to someone else.  After that, I am "moderately" indifferent, and I certainly do not want to see them shit-can other NCSoft West employees or torpedo ArenaNet.

That doesn't mean that I am ever going to trust them with my money or heart again.
That's why a complete reversal was never going to happen (amongst other things). We're (western vs eastern) two totally different cultures and it's easy to forget that. Remember stories of people you know who have travelled? How in some places it's an insult to finish the whole plate of food (when you're the guest) while others expect you to belch as a sign of appreciation...
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

Imperial1

• Underling
« Reply #237 on: September 28, 2012, 12:03:36 AM »
After Reading the FAQ posted it looks like NCsoft isn't being quiet, they're being subtle.

Igrnoing the negitive message posted there how are the plans comming along?
anything?

CainZarco

• Underling
« Reply #238 on: September 28, 2012, 12:19:46 AM »
Since there's not really a dedicated "Hello Titan!" thread, and since I wanted to comment on a couple things, I'll go ahead and say my hellos here. :3
So yes, hello. \o

In the form of a lot of earlier posts in this thread, I'll offer up anything I can be helpful with, be it simple photo manipulations and editing, or my limited writing skills. I'd offer more if I could, but that's about all I have at the moment. That and of course my support for this endeavor.

Now I haven't gone through every single thread on the forum, as that'd take me a while since I'm not the fastest reader in the world, and I get distracted/pulled away a lot, but I have read this thread and a couple others in their entirety, such as the Wildstar conversation and A Rescue Mission, which I very much like the idea of. I've been thinking on this whole situation a lot, and it still doesn't make a bunch of sense to me in the manner it's being handled... Games come and go, sure, but I still don't understand the abruptness of this whole thing. Anyway, that's off topic. ON topic though, I just want to say a couple things.
First off, I wanted to say that I probably wouldn't be as enthusiastic to jump on board with this project if it weren't for the amazing community I've been introduced to over the last week. You guys are absolutely amazing, and if you HAVEN'T already, give yourselves a round of applause and a pat on the back. #SaveCOH has gotten around the internet EVERYWHERE it seems now. And you're continuing to spread the word about it. You've gotten casual players and non-players alike to join the cause, brought awareness to the mass media, and have even brought about discussion about how an online community is exploding out into a massive network through social media. I probably phrased that last part incorrectly, but the link'll explain if you haven't seen the article. Anyway, I've seen groups popping up on Steam, it's all over Raptr, I've even heard about spreading the word into other game forums such as the Blizzard ones, which apparently we've basically been invited to do from what I remember seeing.
The biggest thing that I can think of though that really got me personally on board was the Dinner's On Us Call to Action. That just pulled the words out of my mouth and left me staring at the screen and articles I found. Again, pat on the backs if you haven't... 3 hours to raise OVER 1,000 United States Dollars. And in increments of $5 - $50 no less. I'm not sure that's actually been mentioned, but Tony actually DID set the max donation to $50. That blew me away, and watching Twitter last night, the Devs seemed to have enjoyed it greatly. I'm assuming that little extra over 1k went to buying that cake. xD Awesome touch.

Now... With the compliments and whatnot out of the way... My thoughts on things. Which will be much briefer. >_>
  • Get the game ourselves: I've been thinking on where we can go with trying to acquire the IP for CoH. I'm not as well versed in business as I've seen a lot of people on the forum, and I don't have any contacts, but I can at least dig around to find things. And come up with ideas. One idea was actually shot down earlier when I heard that Nexon was a backer for NCSoft. That surprised me a lot, which goes to show how much I actually know, and made me rethink a little. However my other idea still stands in that there are other large publishers that DO have a Western presence. One such publisher being Aeria Games. They've got a large variety of games that I know of, including one that's actually made it to Steam's F2P list. If they're a viable company to talk to/consider, then there's my input for that, hope it helps a little. And I will actually go look at the City Sunset board in a bit. I just wanted to get this typed down.
  • Another Studio: Point 1 kinda covered this, but I'll add to it as well. If we were able to get another studio to back the game as a publisher, then it might still be possible that they'd want to hire on the original developers of the game as a subsidiary, or as project leaders for the game in another company. I'm not sure, but it's a thought anyway.
  • Reverse Engineering: I've seen a number of different things covering this, ranging from warnings of the legal implications of it, to offers of helping the engineering team. I'll just add my voice to the warning of the legality of it, while stating this: It HAS been done before, and proven to be a still ever popular thing. I actually still play a game that was an online game from SEGA called Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst. There's a HUGE community that revolves around that game, and a group of people actually banded together a long while ago to find ways to keep the game going. This is the SCHTack Servers. They run the game for free, and are constantly adding things and improving aspects of this game, including going through the painstaking process of translating the unshipped portions of the game that were only released in Japan into English. It's a phenomenal project, and I could easily see City of Heroes rising to this stature if the proper precautions were taken. What those are I can't say, but I thought I'd share that bit to show that it is possible to continue a project after it's been killed. I know there are others, but PSOBB is the only one that I know and play myself.

Anyway... I'll be watching for the next CtA. I probably won't be able to join a lot of the trial runs purely because I don't have a high level character, but I'll try and be at any rallies that I hear about. :3
Thank you all for the amazing progress that you HAVE made so far, even if it isn't visibly affecting NCSoft that we know of. It really makes me smile when I say We are Heroes. This is what we do.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #239 on: September 28, 2012, 12:53:39 AM »
You cannot create a new account in CoH/V, according to the latest official notice from NCSoft.  I haven't actually tried to, but it would not surprise me that they turned that function off.

I'd love to find out if that was just a coincidental step in shutting the game down, or a tactical maneuver...

I can't imagine how many new people would be loading it up right now to see what the fuss is about. :roll: