Author Topic: State of the Titan  (Read 106886 times)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Re: State of the Titan
« Reply #200 on: September 27, 2012, 05:41:34 AM »
I figure most of us know depression from an outright attempt to sow dissent.  This is probably a saner bunch than 99% of the political organizations I've ever belonged to.  Wait, that was praising with faint damns....

I just want people to be cautious, because for a group like ours, small, fighting an uphill battle, it is so easy to unthinkingly, and indiscriminately welcome anyone who joins.

We stand resolute. Let the naysayers come. Their baleful bleating shall break upon us, as wind breaks upon stone.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2012, 05:48:31 AM »
If anyone sees a post or a user who they suspect is an astroturfer, let me know.  I'm allowing a little bit of leeway for discussion and, yes, even dissent.  But if I feel that someone is actively trying to sabotage our efforts, I'll deal with it.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2012, 06:45:27 AM »
Hey guys.  Just wanted to barge in and say "don't jump ship" yet.

We've still got a couple months here, and the negotiations with NCSoft are ongoing.

Until we get notice from the guys at Paragon that this is dead, it ain't over.

I know it's killing you all that you're hearing so little "officially".  Unfortunately, business negotiations are kinda like that.

In the mean time, there are bad guys in Paragon City in need of a thorough whupping.
I suggest we oblige them!

Haven't jumped ship yet. Looking, sure but I have yet to find something that does as many things that CoH does well. I'll wait til the end of October and see what new news there is.

TheFlea

• Minion
  • The Grandfather of Spine/SRs in PvP.
« Reply #203 on: September 27, 2012, 07:47:41 AM »
Hey guys.  Just wanted to barge in and say "don't jump ship" yet.

We've still got a couple months here, and the negotiations with NCSoft are ongoing.

Until we get notice from the guys at Paragon that this is dead, it ain't over.

I know it's killing you all that you're hearing so little "officially".  Unfortunately, business negotiations are kinda like that.

In the mean time, there are bad guys in Paragon City in need of a thorough whupping.
I suggest we oblige them!

It's as I've said to various other SGs and groups - at this moment in time the main reasons you're seeing a lot of quiet and inactivity is that people have left to lick their wounds. Some won't come back because they just don't want to face the chance they'll be hurt again.  I suspect that population will pick up over the next month after the initial shock has passed and settled down. The more you guys do to stir up rallies etc. the more people will want to come back.

It's a reaction to pain, nothing more. People jumped ship because they were hurt and didn't want to face the pain being dragged out or made worse. I'm still about, but not as much as I used to be because a lot of friends have disappeared and this whole situation has caused my depression to flare up again, which isn't pleasant as you can imagine.

Also - I ain't no mole. I'm a known moody bastard and asshole whose snark became infamous.

Former Officer in the Lions Den PvP SG on Victory.
Former Creepy Old Uncle of the PWNZ forums.
The First Spine/SR in PvP.

That's me.

Not some burrowing rodent with a communist agenda!

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »
Let me remind people of something else. Like VV, I've got a background in political activism going way back, in my case of the libertarian persuasion. I could even point you to a website full of polemics I've written for the cause over the years if you cared. As an old friend of mine way back in the early years of gaming used to say "I always go by my own name".

I've dealt with my share of moles and informers over the years. Coming in and trying to sow gloom and depression is not how they operate. That would be WAY too low-key. What they always have done in my experience has been to egg you on. Usually pointing toward something spectacularly stupid that you can easily be arrested for. Usually under the guise of

Now, a corporate stooge might operate a bit differently. I've had occasion to observe THEM, too, in my day job. They *can* be slightly more dangerous sometimes, and considerably less predictable. But again, subtle psychological warfare is not what they're going to attempt. They want to get the goods on somebody, or provoke them into doing something actionable, or something that makes the cause look bad. They might use defeatist talk as part of their rhetoric, but usually not just in an attempt to get you to give up.

So, don't do anything stupid, and keep your spirits up. We've undoubtedly got people from their PR firm at the very least reading this website, and/or very likely someone from their corporate security. "Just smile and wave, boys, just smile and wave." *We* are the good guys here, which has to stick in their craws, and they'd like nothing better than to pin some destructive or childish act on us to diminish our standing in the public eye. Don't give 'em the satisfaction.

TheBeatnik

• Minion
« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2012, 11:30:25 AM »
The mention of other games and other gaming communities gave me the smallest hint of an idea.
What if we were to plan and carry out Unity support rallies in other games? Those folks who
play CO could organize  a "Millennium City Supports Paragon City" event; players of The Secret World
could have a rally in New York protesting Orochi Corp's closing of City of Heroes, etc.

If we worked in cooperation with those games' communities to pull this off, we could gain several benefits
by doing this: we'd increase our visibility still further, educate gamers who have yet to have heard of our situation,
and demonstrate to the industry that our support is not simply limited to one game.

Since it's just now 6 AM as I write this, and I'm not used to having ideas so early in the morning,
I thought I'd just toss this out and see what folks think.

The Beatnik,
more used to shaving, showering, dressing, and driving to work while still asleep.

Quinch

« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2012, 11:54:04 AM »
I... don't really play any other MMOs.

But if that happened, it would be awesome.

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2012, 12:04:55 PM »
The mention of other games and other gaming communities gave me the smallest hint of an idea.
What if we were to plan and carry out Unity support rallies in other games? Those folks who
play CO could organize  a "Millennium City Supports Paragon City" event; players of The Secret World
could have a rally in New York protesting Orochi Corp's closing of City of Heroes, etc.

If we worked in cooperation with those games' communities to pull this off, we could gain several benefits
by doing this: we'd increase our visibility still further, educate gamers who have yet to have heard of our situation,
and demonstrate to the industry that our support is not simply limited to one game.

Something like a 'Sister Cities' event, or something along those lines?

CapaDevans

• Minion
« Reply #208 on: September 27, 2012, 12:36:32 PM »
...poor little trolls. Don't they know we beat them up for their lunch money on a regular basis? >.>

I moderate an internet forum and I *love* trolls. They're so predictable.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #209 on: September 27, 2012, 01:28:09 PM »
That's why I am trying to stay on target with this, Segev.  They have made it clear they have no intention of reviving the game (and at this point I am inclined to agree with others that have said that they can't within their own culture, because doing so would "prove" they were "wrong.")

All I want is to pressure them into releasing the IP to someone else.  After that, I am "moderately" indifferent, and I certainly do not want to see them shit-can other NCSoft West employees or torpedo ArenaNet.

That doesn't mean that I am ever going to trust them with my money or heart again.
Yeah, Asian cultures (of the "oriental" variety, in particular) tend to be very big on Face - earning, saving, and avoiding loss thereof. There are two ways to "win" a social battle with people in such a culture. Well, three, but we aren't their social superiors, so the easiest-to-enact is not within our power.

1) Shame them so badly that they lose all Face and are forced to go away, abandoning whatever social ground you want to control to you or those who prefer.

2) Threaten them with a minor but notable loss of Face that can be saved and even turn into a gain of Face if they act the way you wish.

1) is out of our power because we aren't there to shame them where it matters, and even if we force NCSoft to lose that much Face, there's nothing that will keep them from spiting us by keeping the IP just in a "take you down with me" sort of move.

2) must therefore be our goal. Which is why, along with all else, we need to keep the "sell the IP" option open as something that they can spin as being their magnanimous, brilliant business move that they thought of. Make being our ally in the end a viable option, through which they can save Face.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #210 on: September 27, 2012, 03:20:25 PM »
I think a "Sister Cities" style rally wouldbe a good thing, but may be a little more interesting, logistically. I have about half a dozen other games installed from trying out the games as they went free, but I reasonably confident I'm in the minority, there.

But would we be welcome? I don't mean getting locals to join in, even briefly or jokingly. Unity was was initially mistaken for and misrepresented as an intentional disruption. Would those unsympathetic to us or unaware of us end up pissed at us for "disrupting their game?"
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #211 on: September 27, 2012, 03:46:28 PM »
I moderate an internet forum and I *love* trolls. They're so predictable.

Bullies are predictable too in that they can always be depended upon to try and stuff you in a locker, but I wouldn't say that makes it something worthy of love.  8)

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #212 on: September 27, 2012, 04:01:54 PM »
Out of curiosity, does anybody actually have experience with people being stuffed in lockers? I know, a touch off-topic, but I'm wondering whether this is just a meme that is associated with bullying but doesn't really happen IRL, or if it is a thing that really does happen.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2012, 04:08:17 PM »
Yeah, the locker thing actually does happen, unfortunately.

Back on topic: PARAGON FOREVER! AP33! AP33! *pumps fist* >.>
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2012, 04:12:04 PM »
Condolences to those who've suffered the locker thing, then; thanks for indulging my curiosity. While I suffered my share of bullying, I was always too big for the more...physical kinds. Generally. So I was spared that.

Back on topic: What is AP33?

Also, can somebody who isn't on a work computer confirm whether or not you can actually create a new account in CoH/V at this time?

Quinch

« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2012, 04:17:34 PM »
AP33 is kind of a symbol. A week or so back, CoH players staged a... bit of a gathering. There were thirty-three instances of Atlas Park on Virtue before the server filled and went into queue mode, leading to rapid filling of Freedom and parts of... Guardian, I think?

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #216 on: September 27, 2012, 04:18:53 PM »
Condolences to those who've suffered the locker thing, then; thanks for indulging my curiosity. While I suffered my share of bullying, I was always too big for the more...physical kinds. Generally. So I was spared that.

Also, can somebody who isn't on a work computer confirm whether or not you can actually create a new account in CoH/V at this time?

Atlas Park, instance 33. It's the highest numbered instance of Atlas Park we spawned with the Unity Rally. It remains open on Virtue server to this day, thanks to an enterprising and charitably spirited server admin. It has quickly become a symbol of unity and support for City of Heroes.

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #217 on: September 27, 2012, 04:20:13 PM »

It is the highest numbered instance of a zone that anyone can recall.

Atlas Park 33.  WE spawned it during the Unity rally. 
Since then, even during server maintenance, someone on our side inside the development team has 'respawned' it after the servers came back online.

It represents, to many of us what we CAN do. 
It has become the place where those who hold vigil come to shine the light of hope against the darkness.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #218 on: September 27, 2012, 04:27:31 PM »
Neat!

I actually didn't know that servers could have multiple instances of a public zone; I suppose it's more for client sanity than anything else, since the servers would have to maintain all the data and activity in all instances regardless.

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #219 on: September 27, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »
Neat!

I actually didn't know that servers could have multiple instances of a public zone; I suppose it's more for client sanity than anything else, since the servers would have to maintain all the data and activity in all instances regardless.

yes.  Normally a standard city zone can only handle somewhere between 75-100 Server-Client connections.  Once that number is passed the zone is 'full' and a new instance of the zone is spawned.

and its not just for client connections, remember the server has to keep track of where everyone is and what they are doing in order to tell the clients what they 'see'.  Its as much to keep the server able to keep up with the data load as the client