Author Topic: What's the Status?  (Read 6882 times)

Iornclad

• Underling
What's the Status?
« on: September 21, 2012, 04:26:03 PM »
Hi Tony V,

I want to express my sincere appreciation for you jumping on this unfortunate turn of events. I have been trying to follow the unfolding events and have participated in several.

Do we have any status on NCSoft selling the rights to the game and/or the servers?
There are plenty of ways to negotiate the purchase that can be beneficial to both parties. If the numbers work we should be able to not only save the game, but also, make a return on it.  We just need a contact that can get the parties together.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: What's the Status?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 04:30:27 PM »
I'm not TonyV, but as somebody who first joined this board to express a similar idea, let me point you to the "news" thread to see what the status is. According to Victoria Victrix, a poster others on this board seem to trust as a person who would know what she's talking about on this issue, Paragon Studios people are already at the negotiating table with NCSoft, working on this very thing.

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 05:33:16 PM »
Hint for those who don't know: Victoria Victrix is a well known fantasy author whose name is something like Porsche Underling. No, that's not right. Volkswagen Minion? No...

Could be Mercedes Lackey, I guess.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »
Hint for those who don't know: Victoria Victrix is a well known fantasy author whose name is something like Porsche Underling. No, that's not right. Volkswagen Minion? No...

Could be Mercedes Lackey, I guess.
You do realize now that should Plan Z go ahead, we will need to name a contact "Porsche Underling" now.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:46:15 PM »
You do realize now that should Plan Z go ahead, we will need to name a contact "Porsche Underling" now.
Yes... yes we do

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:14:03 PM »
No, you need an underling of Countess Crey that is a Mastermind.  And her pets in Armani suits would be "Mercedes' Lackeys."
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »
Interesting. I did not know that. Is it her fame and position in the fantasy community that gives her her "inside knowledge" that she's been able to share in such limited (but gratefully-received) quantities? Or has she other connections to CoH/Paragon Studios in some sort of official capacity?

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 07:20:21 PM »
Interesting. I did not know that. Is it her fame and position in the fantasy community that gives her her "inside knowledge" that she's been able to share in such limited (but gratefully-received) quantities? Or has she other connections to CoH/Paragon Studios in some sort of official capacity?

/em kicks Segev in the ankle.

I'm RIGHT HERE you know.

I've been RL friends with a couple of the devs (I'm mentoring WW on prose/book writing), and they put me in touch with Brian Clayton (Formerly-Paragon-Studios-Manager) who has been kind enough to actually talk to me (a bit). 
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »
Well you beat me to it, but I was going to point out that you also worked with them on one or two of the Mission Architect "guest writer" arcs, if I'm not mistaken.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 07:26:28 PM »
Well you beat me to it, but I was going to point out that you also worked with them on one or two of the Mission Architect "guest writer" arcs, if I'm not mistaken.

/em facepalm

Yes.  Yes I did.  In fact, let me think....Cuppa Jo helped me out on a server-wide event, then I worked with Ghost Widow before he became Dark Watcher and Hero One on the MA Guest arc, and Black Pebble and Dr. Aeon and I were working on a special "Secret World Chronicles" arc that would let you get in on the Book One invasion. 

WW and GW also gave me a hand vetting a story of my own written from a dev's point of view.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 07:30:54 PM »
/em kicks Segev in the ankle.
Ow!

I'm RIGHT HERE you know.
So you are! Sorry; hadn't seen you on today. You just have seemed the most authoritative source so far aside, perhaps, from TonyV. And, given my interests are in following the financial/business side of this, it's your posts (limited though they've been on detail) I've been following.

I've been RL friends with a couple of the devs (I'm mentoring WW on prose/book writing), and they put me in touch with Brian Clayton (Formerly-Paragon-Studios-Manager) who has been kind enough to actually talk to me (a bit).
Neat! Congratulations on the friendships, and I wish your mentee well in his efforts. It is a pleasure to exchange text with somebody whose work I've enjoyed.

Looking at a couple posts that landed while I was switch-screened to get another simulation started, sounds like congratulations are in order for other work you got to do. Though I could be misparsing the timing (I haven't played the game in years, so a LOT that is old to others is new to me).

Anyway, the word you are able/willing to give out is appreciated. No offense was meant by speaking of you in the third person; I just hadn't seen you around today/in this thread. (I'm notoriously - amongst those who know me - inobservant, however. ^^; )

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »
No, you need an underling of Countess Crey that is a Mastermind.  And her pets in Armani suits would be "Mercedes' Lackeys."

I think this discussion may now be bleeding into the "in-game adverts" thread.  :D

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 07:35:21 PM »
I think this discussion may now be bleeding into the "in-game adverts" thread.  :D
This machiavellian plan brought to you by the Villainous side of the City. ;)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 07:39:35 PM »
* DrakeGrimm cleans red cape, hums innocently
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 08:32:19 PM »

This may be the funniest thing I've read all day.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 08:54:17 PM »
The wonderful VV (been a long time fan) also made NCSoft a very generous offer (post #53) they'd be remiss not to accept.

*really really wishes she had such a respected mentor for her writing*

If not for VV and TonyV keeping their hope up, mine would have faded long ago.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 08:56:49 PM »
The wonderful VV (been a long time fan) also made NCSoft a very generous offer (post #53) they'd be remiss not to accept.

*really really wishes she had such a respected mentor for her writing*

If not for VV and TonyV keeping their hope up, mine would have faded long ago.

VV is a real gift. A genuine treasure. I had respect for her before, but this entire thing has done nothing but make my respect for her grow by leaps and bounds.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »
That is quite the impressive offer. The fact that she is willing to make it is, itself, a very strong endorsement of CoH, since her price for 5 years of such endorsements is the game's continuation. I have to wonder if it would herald a new era of advertising for NCSoft.

*ducks and runs*

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »
VV is a real gift. A genuine treasure. I had respect for her before, but this entire thing has done nothing but make my respect for her grow by leaps and bounds.
Agreed. She had my fan-itude from the moment I started reading Magic's Pawn back in the early 90s. I even got a friend of mine hooked by loaning her my personal copy of the Last Herald-Mage series.

I was very happy to find out that she actually played a game that I enjoyed.

I mean really.  Famous people publicly acknowledging that they play video games?  :o
Mercedes Lackey shot right up into the very cool category when I found out she played CoH. :)
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms