Author Topic: Tom's Hardware "article" on the refunds... so much misinformation  (Read 4603 times)

Pheonyx

• Underling
Tom's Hardware "article" on the refunds... so much misinformation
« on: September 21, 2012, 06:03:13 AM »
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/City-of-Heroes-Refunds,17736.html

Obviously, the person who wrote this article has no clue about what happened to CoH or even cares, so much so as to basically say outright lies because they couldn't be bothered to fact-check. The one part that is completely off-base is this comment:

Publisher NCSoft had a "realignment of company focus and publishing support", presumably because the MMO wasn't turning a profit.
(Emphasis mine of their words)

We all know this is an outright lie (since we know that CoH was a steady profit earner), and I think Tony V needs to have a few words with this person about their mis-information about what really happened. Also, Paragon Studios can't be giving out the refunds like the article says, since Paragon Studios ceased to exist as of August 30, 2012. NCSoft is giving the refunds.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Re: Tom's Hardware "article" on the refunds... so much misinformation
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 06:29:32 AM »
Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

* DrakeGrimm facepalms so hard the world quakes
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 06:31:10 AM »
Our in-game currency is "Veteran Points"? How the heck did they even come up with that? Our "veteran currency" is "Paragon Tokens", and our in-game currency is "Paragon Points".

It's like she looked at a bullet-point info list of some things written by someone who saw a bullet-point info list of some things a year ago and was going by memory.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:46:33 AM »
***PICARD/RIKER DOUBLE EPIC FACEPALM OF FAIL***

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:03:47 AM »
From the 'Authority on Tech'.. hah.. hah hah..

That is painful.

I fact check better than that when I'm spouting random bullshit on forums for no reason...

CapaDevans

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »
Lazy. Just lazy.

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »
Sent him a politely worded correction and told him to contact tonyv for info....and that he might wish to look into the real story of our grass roots efforts. 

Full agreement with the facepalms..lol
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 04:09:05 PM »
Feel free to post comments--constructively address any misinformation you find in the article. Hyperstrike and I have already done so. It doesn't require registration, or even an e-mail address. :)
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »
Commented. That article did nothing but get me riled up. DO YOUR RESEARCH, JEEZ!
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

padathir

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 06:59:09 PM »
THG makes a habit out of being wrong about things, so can't say I am surprised.  :roll:

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 07:23:28 PM »
Does anyone know if that Tabula Rasa refund PREDATES or POSTDATES Richard Garriott's lawsuit?

That's kind of important information, since if it POSTDATES the lawsuit, that kind of changes things.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 07:30:05 PM »
That quoted post appears to be dated Nov. 2008.  Garriott filed suit in 2009 and was awarded the initial $28M in July 2010 (later increased to $32M after NCsoft appealed the decision.)

Seems that places the TR refund prior to Garriott's lawsuit.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 02:02:16 AM »
*nodnod*

I am going to hazard a complete guess here, and say that at some point people who were paid ahead on previous games and wanted a damn refund went after NCSoft via their credit card companies.

I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but if a credit card company gets too many of these disputes against a particular entity, they take away the privilege of charging their card from that entity.  And IIRC, at one point some time around that period (Auto Assault/Tabula Rasa shutdowns) you could use only one of the two major credit cards (either MC and not Visa, or Visa and not MC) to charge your CoH renewal.  Methinks they didn't want to risk another such debacle.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

darkquill

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 03:03:24 AM »
What is curious is that while TR's and AA's closings resulted in an offer of free time in other NCSoft games in addition to the refunds, we're only being offered refunds.  Maybe it's because Aion and Lineage II are already free to play and GW and GW2 aren't subscription-based. That would leave the (not yet launched) western version of Blade and Soul -- and our VIPs are not even being offered beta slots in that game.

uninventive

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 03:14:29 AM »
*nodnod*

I am going to hazard a complete guess here, and say that at some point people who were paid ahead on previous games and wanted a damn refund went after NCSoft via their credit card companies.

I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but if a credit card company gets too many of these disputes against a particular entity, they take away the privilege of charging their card from that entity.  And IIRC, at one point some time around that period (Auto Assault/Tabula Rasa shutdowns) you could use only one of the two major credit cards (either MC and not Visa, or Visa and not MC) to charge your CoH renewal.  Methinks they didn't want to risk another such debacle.

Actually, it's common practice for closing MMO's to have a plan to refund/reimburse players of an end-of-life product.  What didn't make sense was NCSoft announcing it weeks after laying off the staff and announcing the closure.  Most games have this information within hours or a couple of days of the closure announcement, even if the refund dates are off into the future to give the accounting department enough time to handle processing everyone.

This just reeks of haste.

uninventive

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 03:24:20 AM »
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/City-of-Heroes-Refunds,17736.html

Obviously, the person who wrote this article has no clue about what happened to CoH or even cares, so much so as to basically say outright lies because they couldn't be bothered to fact-check.

Being its Tom's Hardware, I'm not too worried about their perspective on video games.  Most folks on that site aren't interested in a fringe MMO anyway.

Now, for a site like this one: http://my.mmosite.com/801718/blog/ritem/city_of_heroes_shutting_down_but_are_recent_demands_from_gamers_going_too_far.html

You people voted for Hubert Humphrey! And you killed Positron!

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 03:32:45 AM »
Who are these dingbats that keep saying that we're demanding to keep a game open that we aren't paying subscription fees to play?  If we weren't paying for subscriptions, NCsoft wouldn't have to refund anything.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 03:34:01 AM »
Who are these dingbats that keep saying that we're demanding to keep a game open that we aren't paying subscription fees to play?  If we weren't paying for subscriptions, NCsoft wouldn't have to refund anything.

it's the internet. anybody with a computer and a wifi connection can post whatever drivel they want and call themselves "web journalists" these days.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

uninventive

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 03:59:53 AM »

No kidding.  By that reasoning, folks might reach the conclusion that NCSoft is giving money to current players for free after the game closed, and "how can I get in on this?"