Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 722957 times)

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #1160 on: January 01, 2013, 09:13:41 AM »
There really ought to be a sticky explaining the correlation between magical horned horses and internet troublemakers that live beneath bridges.
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #1161 on: January 01, 2013, 09:35:28 AM »
Hope you'te not getting on me about that.  If you change your code thrice daily, you can't whine about some out of date codes..  Back when I was in mostly daily contact, I was totally up to date with the latest lingo.  Not so much now...

Not at all. It's specific to this forum and there's really no way you could know beforehand. The idea was to prevent flame wars from happening... I think.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #1162 on: January 01, 2013, 03:08:41 PM »
OK, I have to ask?  Other than a magic horse with a horn on it's forehead, WTF if a unicorn?

Everything you know about unicorns is a lie. In truth they are

c-0

• Underling
« Reply #1163 on: January 01, 2013, 04:33:27 PM »
That... That is beautiful.

Quinch

« Reply #1164 on: January 01, 2013, 04:37:18 PM »
Everything you know about unicorns is a lie. In truth they are

Alicorns?

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #1165 on: January 01, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »
My little unicorn, griefing is delicious.
Yeeessss....

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #1166 on: January 01, 2013, 07:13:10 PM »
OK, I have to ask?  Other than a magic horse with a horn on it's forehead, WTF if a unicorn?

The word spelled t-r-o-l-l on this forum is automatically changed to unicorn. I never realized why. I guess they don't want people calling other people by such a name. Which makes it difficult sometimes talking about a specific low-level enemy group in City of Heroes that is found readily the Hollows. No, not the hellions.

Edit: sorry, didn't see that the question was already answered.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:26:43 AM by Blue Pulsar »
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1167 on: January 01, 2013, 07:17:09 PM »
The word spelled t-r-o-l-l on this forum is automatically changed to unicorn. I never realized why. I guess they don't want people calling other people by such a name. Which makes it difficult sometimes talking about a specific low-level enemy group in City of Heroes that is found readily the Hollows. No, not the hellions.

As if getting rid of the word will get rid of the thing it names.

You can call it a t-r-o-l-l, you can call it a unicorn or a Higg's Boson or a UFO or a puppy or an annoying person or whatever other word you can dream up: concept still exists. Nuking the word does not remove it from existance, therefore I don't understand all this tiptoeing around the WORD. If it were a racial slur or something, that would be one thing; but what this is supposed to accomplish, I truly do not know.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1168 on: January 01, 2013, 07:17:33 PM »
Duplicate, sorry.

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #1169 on: January 01, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »

You can call it a t-r-o-l-l, you can call it a unicorn or a Higg's Boson or a UFO or a puppy or an annoying person or whatever other word you can dream up: concept still exists. Nuking the word does not remove it from existance, therefore I don't understand all this tiptoeing around the WORD. If it were a racial slur or something, that would be one thing; but what this is supposed to accomplish, I truly do not know.

My sentiments exactly.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1170 on: January 01, 2013, 08:03:17 PM »
It definitely doesn't eliminate the source of the annoyance, but sure does slow them down when they try to figure out what's going on.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #1171 on: January 01, 2013, 08:20:31 PM »
It definitely doesn't eliminate the source of the annoyance, but sure does slow them down when they try to figure out what's going on.

lol, Seeds of confusion?

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #1172 on: January 01, 2013, 09:37:59 PM »

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1173 on: January 01, 2013, 11:51:32 PM »
I have to be honest, the unicorn has become kind of a legend around here now (pun enjoyed, but not intended :D ), and I for one would hate to lose it. At this point it's become something uniquely us; not just CoH, not just Titan, but this time, this experience. The decline of the official forums, migrating to our new home here, and building walls to keep the ugliness out while we expand this place from what it was to what it suddenly needed, and generously offered, to become. Those who were here during this time of upheaval and struggle have formed a community of our own, an enclave within the former CoH and Titan communities. With the word 'unicorn' we are starting to form our own in-jokes, our own set of community-only references that outsiders and newcomers won't get. Every time we have to explain the full story of it we reinforce the strength and maturity our little enclave has shown, reminding ourselves and informing others that we're not here just to foster bitterness and live in the past, we're here to do something good and to be adults about it.

I say, long live the Legend of the Unicorn!

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #1174 on: January 02, 2013, 12:11:14 AM »
This just got launched a couple days ago...  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbF9nLhOqLU

TargetOne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1175 on: January 02, 2013, 12:23:35 AM »
This just got launched a couple days ago...  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbF9nLhOqLU

Strangely, I couldn't stop watching.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #1176 on: January 02, 2013, 12:44:43 AM »
OK.  THIS is just wrong on so many levels I cannot even begin to count them.

According to a very reliable friend of mine, Guild Wars 2 is banning the handicapped.

This is how it breaks down.  Arenanet recently started purging GW2 of bots.  Except that the definition of a "bot" includes people that contact them to protest being banned because they are using handicapped-assists.

Here is my conversation with him:

wolfwings_backup: Not to mention that they are *STILL* auto-banning anyone running any program that ties into the keyboard or mouse devices.
wolfwings_backup: So Logitech G-16? Auto-ban on login if the systray app is running since it's detected as a 'macro/botting' program. Still.
Misty: facepalm
wolfwings_backup: AutoHotkey? I kinda need that running due to work, I'm not gonna quit that every time I load the damn game. So ban for me most likely at some point.
wolfwings_backup: And don't get me started on all the disabled-assistance programs, since most of those *ARE* macro/automation tools. Those are EXPLICITLY banned, a couple folks are considering bringing ADA lawsuits against them over that.
Misty: I think they SHOULD bring ADA lawsuits against them
wolfwings_backup: It's mostly a matter of those that could, would rather go play something else than waste the time, nobody hard-headed enough has hit that wall yet. XD
wolfwings_backup: In many cases going back to GW1.

He's on his way to visit (should be here in 3 days) and I am going to sit down with him, verify this, get some actual names of handicapped people that are banned and verify they can't get any redress, then turn this loose on the game journalists.  What I REALLY want to know is, is this ArenaNet?  Or is this an edict from NCSoft that ArenaNet is helpless to do anything about?  But that is what I will let the journalists try and figure out.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:33:15 AM by Victoria Victrix »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #1177 on: January 02, 2013, 01:22:45 AM »
I was evaluating my feelings regarding NCSoft over the past few days.

It is curious that I do not hold any moral revulsion towards NCSoft and its questionable activities.

Rather, I hold the same kind of response that I more typically associate with extremely poor engineering and quality.

It is somewhat difficult to determine the difference between the two, but opposition on the grounds of obvious inefficiency and incautious error as opposed to the grounds of maliciousness seems to be the most probable root of my attitudes towards the company.

One obviously leads to the other, of course.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1178 on: January 02, 2013, 02:20:53 AM »
NCSoft has complete ignorance of fun.

This is what NCSoft is:

One day a fox looked at a wide creek and was considering trying to swim across. As he pondered a scorpion crawled near, "If you cross I would like to go withthththth you," the scorpion hissed.

The fox stepped back alarmed at the nearness of the scorpion. "You will sting me," the fox said. 

"No, for I want acrossssssssss the creek and would drown on my own."

The fox considered this and picked up the scorpion and put him on his back. As he started swimming the scorpion suddenly without warning stung the fox repeatedly. "Why have you done this? With you stinging me now we both shall surely die!" The fox declared.

The scorpion as he calmly started to drown smiled and hissed, "It issss my nature to ssssting. I cannot help myssselff."

NCSoft has one goal and that is to make money. They do not have the joy of creation nor the innocence of clean fun that warms their souls. Ask yourself a question, one I believe I know the answer to - did Paragon Studios devs make the community powerful or did the nature of the game itself draw those of heroic bent to form a community and help forge Paragon into what we wanted?

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1179 on: January 02, 2013, 02:25:53 AM »
OK.  THIS is just wrong on so many levels I cannot even begin to count them.

According to a very reliable friend of mine, Guild Wars 2 is banning the handicapped.

This is how it breaks down.  Arenanet recently started purging GW2 of bots.  Except that the definition of a "bot" includes people that contact them to protest being banned because they are using handicapped-assists.

Here is my conversation with him:

He's on his way to visit (should be here in 3 days) and I am going to sit down with him, verify this, get some actual names of handicapped people that are banned and verify they can't get any redress, then turn this loose on the game journalists.  What I REALLY want to know is, is this ArenaNet?  Or is this an edict from NCSoft that ArenaNet is helpless to do anything about?  But that is what I will let the journalists try and figure out.
wowWOW! I'm finding this tidbit very interesting. I am still stunned at some of the anecdotal stories about those with types of autism and other types of learning issues being able to play CoH, and for some to be temporarily liberated in a sense. I keep imagining an episode of Oprah where an adorable little girl or boy was able to play CoH with one or both of their parents and be so-called "normal" for a time..and then Oprah finds out the game was closed...however, I don't think Oprah does her show anymore. Maybe Dr. Phil?
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese