Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 714676 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #620 on: December 06, 2012, 09:09:23 PM »
NCSoft is not the only tech-related stock I've been seeing a downward trend on, lately, though it is the most dramatic drop. Apple took a rather news-worthy drop, but they appear to be rallying, today.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #621 on: December 06, 2012, 10:02:43 PM »

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #622 on: December 06, 2012, 10:20:26 PM »

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #623 on: December 06, 2012, 10:24:14 PM »
It is. But don't forget it's not us making them get canned. He or she worded it a bit poorly there, and certainly too harshly but it's not like we're the ones who'll give them the pink slip.

I don't like the idea of innocent, hard working people losing their jobs, not in the holiday season, not in any season. But as NCSoft continues making their mistakes, and we push them on it, it's unfortunately inevitable.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #624 on: December 06, 2012, 10:25:40 PM »
A bit harsh on people like Beastyle that were ex-CoH and work in NCSoft Seattle.

Not really. By this point, they know who they're working for. If they aren't sprucing up their resume already, they're in for a rude awakening soon. NCSoft has made its bed. Now they have to lie in it. Do any of us like it? Are any of us gleefully rubbing our hands together over it? No. But we're not the ones making poor decisions that affect NCSoft employees: Their management is.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #625 on: December 06, 2012, 10:28:30 PM »
NCsoftcore is not in any danger of going out of business any time soon. The drop in their stock price really has little affect on their business; it only directly affects their investors (which does in this case include NCsoftcore itself). And even in that case only the investors who are selling (which doesn't include NCsoftcore). To use an analogy: their stock drop is like having your home's property value cut in half overnight. That doesn't affect the home as a home per se. It's still the same house. Right up until you try to sell it or borrow against the equity (I'm ignoring property tax issues as they are pertinent to the analogy). The same is true with stock. The only way the drop would directly impact NCsoftcore is if they needed to raise capital through selling stock or borrowing against their assets (which, as mentioned, include a large chunk of their own stock). Flush with cash from GW2 sales and cutting costs in the West, they really have no need to raise capital even if they have plans for expansion in some other area. They have plenty of cash and are still turning an enviable 20% profit (about twice that of Activision Blizzard or Apple). So the company's financial situation remains fine.

Now, NCsoftcore West is a different story. Anyone who works there and isn't polishing their resume, lining up references and keeping an eye on their bank balance is an idiot.

I have a small but growing suspicion that the "realignment of focus" and the stated desire to expand in the Western market may mean NCsoftcore West closing as a publisher (and remaining only to oversee production studios or simply shutting down altogether) and Nexon America becoming the publisher for NCsoftcore products in North America. That is, I think NCsoftcore may be internally admitting failure as a Western publisher and outsourcing that to someone they think can do it better.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:17:18 AM by Kosmos »

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #626 on: December 06, 2012, 10:28:52 PM »
Not really. By this point, they know who they're working for. If they aren't sprucing up their resume already, they're in for a rude awakening soon. NCSoft has made its bed. Now they have to lie in it. Do any of us like it? Are any of us gleefully rubbing our hands together over it? No. But we're not the ones making poor decisions that affect NCSoft employees: Their management is.

That was it, I got the impression some people here WERE gleefully rubbing their hands together.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #627 on: December 06, 2012, 10:30:06 PM »
I'm certainly not.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #628 on: December 06, 2012, 10:34:11 PM »
Nor I. In the end, all I want is our game back.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #629 on: December 06, 2012, 10:43:01 PM »
I gleefully rub my hands and delight in the downfall of the corporate decisionmakers who chose to close COH.

Admittedly, the secretary, the janitor, the average Joes and Jills who had nothing to do with said decision... them I feel sorry for.

But the rest? They can rot in hell for all I care.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #630 on: December 06, 2012, 10:46:01 PM »
As I said before, so long as the likes of Monsanto still exist, I just can't be bothered with any real thoughts of vengeance towards the NCSoft execs.

Just sell the game to someone who will use it, and I will cheerfully ignore your company to the end of days.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #631 on: December 06, 2012, 10:51:30 PM »
As I said before, so long as the likes of Monsanto still exist, I just can't be bothered with any real thoughts of vengeance towards the NCSoft execs.

Just sell the game to someone who will use it, and I will cheerfully ignore your company to the end of days.

Exactly. Same here.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #632 on: December 06, 2012, 10:59:45 PM »
I'd have a hard time holding the hate if they caved and did the right thing, the thing they should've done to start with. I'm not an inherently hateful person.

That being said, I'd never stop warning all those who wish to play an NCSoft game. These hypothetical people deserve to be informed about the company's practices.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #633 on: December 06, 2012, 11:01:22 PM »
It's so simple a Clockwork could understand it.

If COH != OWN(RSP.CRP) Then TSK = ATK.CRP(OWN.COH)

CRP(OWN.COH) = NCS

RSP.CORP != NCS

TSK = ATK.NCS until NCS != OWN.COH

If COH = OWN(RSP.CRP) Then TSK = PLY.COH

If TSK = PLY.COH Then NCS.RLV = 0

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #634 on: December 06, 2012, 11:04:42 PM »
I like the cut of your gibberish, sir!  8)

Dragonicism

• Underling
« Reply #635 on: December 06, 2012, 11:08:03 PM »

CRP(OWN.COH) = NCS

RSP.CORP != NCS

Is... Is that..? That's the very style of code output by the service droids in Praetoria. I don't know the language itself, but I think I understand it. I don't suppose I could request a translation to Java or C++, so everyone else can understand it?

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #636 on: December 06, 2012, 11:11:53 PM »
i agree that the average poeple losing their jobs is not cool, however as pointed out, that if ncsoft is going under realignment anyway then the jobs were hanging by a thread likely to be cut at a moments notice like with out devs

the jobs being lost are purely due to ncsofts business management stupidity (both in goals as a company and decision making)

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #637 on: December 06, 2012, 11:12:31 PM »
Is... Is that..? That's the very style of code output by the service droids in Praetoria. I don't know the language itself, but I think I understand it. I don't suppose I could request a translation to Java or C++, so everyone else can understand it?

Heh.  You're over-thinking it.  I'm a programmer, too, and they baffled me at first in Praetoria as well, as I was trying to read them as code.  They're abbreviated words, not function/method calls.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #638 on: December 06, 2012, 11:16:06 PM »
Yeah, it's gibberish, just like a lot of Resistance speak. But -fun- gibberish!

kierthos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #639 on: December 06, 2012, 11:20:14 PM »

CRP(OWN.COH) = NCS

RSP.CORP != NCS

I'll do my best

COH = City of Heroes (obviously)

OWN = owner

RSP = responsible

CRP = corporation

TSK = task

ATK = attack

NCS = NC Soft

RLV = relevant

PLY = play

Therefore:

If City of Heroes is not owned by a responsible corporation, then the task is to attack the owner of City of Heroes.

The corporation that owns City of Heroes is NC Soft.

The task is to attack NC Soft until NC Soft no longer owns City of Heroes.

If City of Heroes is owned by a responsible corporation, then the task is to play City of Heroes.

If the task is playing City of Heroes, then NC Soft is no longer relevant.