Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 719487 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #260 on: November 13, 2012, 04:51:22 AM »
not in texas, you break in someone house and they shoot you and you live, the first question authorities will ask the owner is why didnt you kill him? In fact they only have to be merely trespassing. In other states those No trespassing signs may be a joke. Here, it's serious buisness. It means they warned you, you ignored, so they can shoot you no questions asked.

If I break into a house in Texas, I've made a serious vocational and/or life choice error somewhere along the line.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #261 on: November 13, 2012, 04:54:09 AM »
not in texas, you break in someone house and they shoot you and you live, the first question authorities will ask the owner is why didnt you kill him? In fact they only have to be merely trespassing. In other states those No trespassing signs may be a joke. Here, it's serious buisness. It means they warned you, you ignored, so they can shoot you no questions asked.

This is why "If at first you don't succeed, headshot, headshot again!"

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #262 on: November 13, 2012, 06:37:29 AM »
Texas: where "gun control" means "a steady hand."
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #263 on: November 13, 2012, 07:18:06 AM »
Depends on where you live.  Here in Alaska, I'm pretty sure you can kill a burglar who breaks into your house. :)

In the lower 48, though, I've heard stories of burglars breaking into houses, they fall down and hurt themselves, and get away with lawsuits against the owners.  People down there are nuts, it would never fly up here...but then again, we're barbarians up here.  We give away road kill to people who sign up for it :D
In most states down here, you can shoot someone who breaks into your house, if you have a reasonable fear that they would cause you harm: Self Defense.

Other states, you'll get arrested if you shoot the ground outside of your house trying to stop a burglar. A couple of years ago, I recall reading an incident that went that way in...New Hampshire, I believe.

Also, I was told, by a police officer no less, that if you were to shoot a Jehovah's Witness on your property, drop the T.V. next to him. Then you can claim that he was robbing you. I'm still not entirely certain if he was joking...  ???
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #264 on: November 13, 2012, 01:27:48 PM »
Texas: where "gun control" means "a steady hand."
I like that one! (I can't believe I hadn't heard it before, unless you just made it up?)

Artillerie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #265 on: November 13, 2012, 02:21:06 PM »
Looks like they finally levelled out at around 170,500, currently sitting at 171,000.  They're still lower now than they have been in years.

Thank you for the update - we will have to see what happens now.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #266 on: November 13, 2012, 02:30:37 PM »
Might be premature though. One day of not going down is not a reversal of a several month trend, especially when over that time there's been several points where it's gone up for a day or two before dropping again. Assuming I'm reading that graph right, anyway.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #267 on: November 13, 2012, 05:00:08 PM »
Best guess seems to be that the US election results and talk of "fiscal cliffs" has caused a lot of investors to pull out (at least temporarily) from 'risk' stocks, especially in the far east. What constitutes 'risk' to such people is unknown to me because I'm an artist not a stockbroker ???

In addition to NCsoft's stock, you might also want to keep an eye on Nexon, seeing as it's becoming more and more apparent the two are effectively a partnership now. With that in mind, here's a snapshot of how Nexon is doing today :-

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/3659:JP/chart

As you can see, even though it's a Korean-based company, Nexon is floated on the Japanese stockmarket. Why? *shrug* I have no idea - artist, remember ;)

Their shares seem to have pulled up a little today, moreso than NCsoft's which seem to have merely levelled out. Will either or both of them claw their way back up over the next few days? Have to wait to see what happens in the US markets for the answer to that one I think.

V-Mink

• Lieutenant
  • Greenside
« Reply #268 on: November 13, 2012, 05:36:50 PM »
I find that fascinating, of course, but the thing that leaps at me is the sharp drop in their stock in mid-August which seems to mirror the one NCSoft experienced.  Speaking redside, I like to think that NCsoft's boneheaded move in closing a modestly profitable game had some effect on that, but rationally, I have to wonder if there wasn't something that the world financial wizards knew or suspected at that time, and if the closing of CoH was meant to mitigate or take advantage of that.

I realize Nexxon and NCsoft are effectively partners, but did other game companies (specifically MMO companies, but also other companies in divergent industries) also experience that same dip at that time?

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #269 on: November 13, 2012, 05:45:19 PM »
And they're slipping down again, losing a solid 1,500 won/share since yesterday.

So much for levelling out.  Now they're below 170,000.  Last time they were this low was around May 3-7 of 2010.  All of the gains they made for just shy of the last two and a half years are kaput.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:50:42 PM by Kaiser Tarantula »

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #270 on: November 13, 2012, 06:54:38 PM »
[EDIT: Snipping political discussion ~Agge]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 03:33:41 AM by Aggelakis »

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #271 on: November 13, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »
Let's keep US politics out of the discussion, Ironwolf.

NC's only down to 150,000 and still slowly dropping. But they're still way ahead from back in 2008.

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #272 on: November 13, 2012, 11:15:07 PM »
But they're still way ahead from back in 2008.
Can you imagine being the one to break the news to stockholders that you'd just lost/reversed the last 4 years of growth? :)

The thing with shares is that, until something changes, its an avalanche effect.  Share prices drop, so some shareholders want to sell before it drops further and may take years to recover, which makes the shares price drop further, and so the cycle rolls, until it reaches a level where someone sees it as an absolute bargain that won't likely slide lower and buys in.

Personally, I think the shares are some months from bottoming out, and if there's any more bad news about GW2 or Blade and Soul - which there will be if they don't fix the root of all the bad PR they've been collecting - the slide could become a real landslide pretty quickly, and last longer.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #273 on: November 14, 2012, 03:09:04 AM »
I know this is barely related, but I was going through my bag of random pocket change from my travels during the 90s. Turns out I have 11400 KRW, among other various and sundry currencies. Kinda feel like just mailing the 10000 KRW bill to Mr. Kim. Sort of a, "How's the color of this money for ya?" :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #274 on: November 14, 2012, 03:40:58 AM »
"The thing with shares is that, until something changes, its an avalanche effect."

I do hope you're right, Ammon.

"Can you imagine being the one to break the news to stockholders that you'd just lost/reversed the last 4 years of growth?"

Hmm... thoughts like that keep me warm at night. That and the kitten. Okay, mainly the kitten, but that's beside the point.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #275 on: November 14, 2012, 03:43:47 AM »
That and the kitten. Okay, mainly the kitten, but that's beside the point.
Envying you so damned much right now.  I miss my late kitty.

For now, I will comfort myself with schadenfreude.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #276 on: November 14, 2012, 03:49:29 AM »
Sorry to 'jack the thread.

Yeah, lost my Sealpoint Birman a couple months ago. Only eleven. We got our last cat to twenty!

Got a simple black kitten from the shelter. So loving and happy and bouncy and fun! Love love love him. Go get a kitten as soon as you can bear it.

Okay, back to the thread.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #277 on: November 14, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »
No, let's keep talking about cats ;)

I lost an old dear feline friend just last week - ex-feral guy, no idea how old he was, but I know he was at least 12. And still hunting right up until he curled up purring and switched off his own lights - in fact just two days before, he'd brought in the mother of all rats. In his time he'd caught countless rats, rabbits, mice, pigeons...and also along the way a stoat, a weasel and even a mole. Never seen a hunter like him. He carried on being the Hunter Supreme right til the servers went down, so to speak - an example to us all :)

Now, back to stocks!

I find it interesting that while Nexon is managing a tiny clawback rally in share price, NCsoft is not. In fact, this current decline seems to be part of a longer trend that hasn't let up since the flush of GW2's launch wore off. The conspiracy theorist in me is beginning to wonder if there's more behind the NCsoft scenes than even the most skeptical of us has pondered...

I see that today NCsoft share prices are 37% less than they were the day they announced the closure of CoH - sure, I'm under no illusions here, there's no way CoH is responsible for all that loss (or even a decent sized chunk of it really) but nevertheless, on a chilly November morning, that is a warming sight, is it not? ;D

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #278 on: November 14, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »
No, let's keep talking about cats ;)

I lost an old dear feline friend just last week - ex-feral guy, no idea how old he was, but I know he was at least 12. And still hunting right up until he curled up purring and switched off his own lights - in fact just two days before, he'd brought in the mother of all rats. In his time he'd caught countless rats, rabbits, mice, pigeons...and also along the way a stoat, a weasel and even a mole. Never seen a hunter like him. He carried on being the Hunter Supreme right til the servers went down, so to speak - an example to us all :)
Talk about your one-cat war on nature.  It's like reading about an ancient kung-fu master who fights wolves, bears and tigers for practice, only it's a cat.  I mean, cripes, a stoat and a weasel?  Those things can kill a cat.  The mole's just pure sadism; I mean, poor things are defenseless once you dig them up or yank them out of their burrows.  Your kitty just didn't tolerate the existence of anything rodent or even vaguely rodent-like in his territory.

Sure your kitty didn't originally hail from the Rogue Isles?

In stock news, NC's still slipping away, they're now officially below 160k. at 159.5k won at last close.  They hit a low during trading of 156k; that's kinda dire of a portent.  They could yet fall that far.

I don't think I need to say that all their gains from the last 2-3 years are pretty much kaput at this point.  I feel sorry for their investors.

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #279 on: November 14, 2012, 12:56:57 PM »
Cat awesomeness

Holy crap, it's Cat Norris!
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.