Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 714704 times)

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #220 on: November 06, 2012, 12:47:45 PM »
I prefer mentioning how I can't trust NCSoft anymore.

That, and the blade and soul female characters are so exaggerated they're the opposite of attractive to me.
Indeed. As a caricaturist myself (a profession which relies on visual exaggeration of course), the word I use to describe B&S is this :-

grotesque
1 : odd or unnatural in shape, appearance, or character; fantastically ugly or absurd; bizarre; (horribly) distorted.
2 : a piece of work in this style

Caricature is one thing, but the art of caricature is knowing when exaggeration crosses a line. If you step over that line, what you create is no longer a caricature, but a grotesque. The figure art style in B&S has crossed that line. I find it visually repellant. The landscapes and scenery however should be commended - they're actually rather pretty and atmospheric.

It's interesting, this whole notion of 'outrage advertising' of course - saying something is 'disgusting' or 'obscene' has always been a trick to get folk curious. In the case of something like B&S however, such a bloom of interest could actually ultimately work in our favour. If the game got a boost of players from 'outrage advertising', that would look good for the company...but only until 90% of those players left once they'd seen what the fuss was about, and realised the game is actually so culturally alien to them that there's no reason to stick around. And then that sudden drop in playerbase looks bad for the company.

Time will tell I guess.

I think the message we need to get across is one of BETRAYAL. CoH is chugging along nicely for 8 years, there's no indication of anything different...then suddenly, bang, goodbye and goodnight. Our loyalty disregarded, 8 years worth of financial support for NCsoft cast aside, our wishes ignored. In short, we have been betrayed. And it is our right to let everyone know that, both because we're aggrieved and to hopefully prevent other people from suffering as we have.

And if that affects NCsoft stock price, then perhaps they might not be so hasty to betray their customers again in the future.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #221 on: November 07, 2012, 05:30:49 AM »

That might work for some fraction of the overall gaming population...but the fraction is probably not very large. The players of CoX are somewhat different from those in other MMOs I have tried, which is one of the reasons I like it. Consider also that B&S is presently NCsoft's most popular title in Korea. The majority of MMO gamers are probably male, like myself, and have little or no aversion to innocent T&A. In fact, I consider the idea of fantasizing about killing another human being (PvP) to be orders-of-magnitude more offensive than animated titillation. Why not start a crusade about that? Such topics can rapidly polarize people into religiously-devoted camps and could ultimately hurt the aims of the save-CoH crowd more than help it.

I'm taking a cue from modern marketing here. For instance, did you know that Budweiser has ads that are ONLY placed in gay magazines?  The rest of the public never sees them.  Many other products do the same.  I'm suggesting a targeted approach, so that we send specific messages to specific groups.  Feminists will be offended by the objectification of women in Bits and Tits; parents will be outraged at the T and A.  Gamers?  Never mention it.  Target them with a message that they will consider relevant.  The whole idea is for anti-NCSoft messages to be hitting cyberspace and hopefully the news from every possible angle, and for reactions to be coming from places NCSoft never anticipated.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Undercat

• Minion
« Reply #222 on: November 07, 2012, 08:38:26 AM »

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #223 on: November 07, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »
You mention Redside/blueside, but that seems to be a narrow interpretation of it. Plenty of vigilantes would see NCSoft fall, and plenty of villains (Xanatos, anybody) would simply do whatever was most pragmatic.
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.

Artillerie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #224 on: November 08, 2012, 03:23:27 AM »
Just saw this on Facebook - a sudden drop for NCSoft :

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/chart?symbol=036570.KS

Apparently the lowest price in 2 years according to comments there.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #225 on: November 08, 2012, 03:32:31 AM »

Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Quinch

« Reply #226 on: November 08, 2012, 03:39:12 AM »
Y'know, looking at this, the word I'm getting is less of a "drop" and more like, well... this.

And it is positively delightful.

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #227 on: November 08, 2012, 04:00:51 AM »
Blood in the water.
Consequences are dire.
Give us our game back.

^_^
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #228 on: November 08, 2012, 04:01:54 AM »
Look out, NCsoft.  I just saw Captain Mako circling around your stock options.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #229 on: November 08, 2012, 05:12:15 AM »
Look out, NCsoft.  I just saw Captain Mako circling around your stock options.
"Are you outta your MIND? You're in SHARK territory now, NCsoft!"

(Fresh in my mind after documenting Infernia last week.)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #230 on: November 08, 2012, 05:51:23 AM »

Not that I'm not heavily enjoying the schadenfreude here -- MUAHAHAHAHAHA!! *ahem*  ;D

but...

What the HECK just happened????   :o

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #231 on: November 08, 2012, 06:09:43 AM »
Not that I'm not heavily enjoying the schadenfreude here -- MUAHAHAHAHAHA!! *ahem*  ;D

but...

What the HECK just happened????   :o

Maybe just tied into the election? Thought I saw a headline this morning online somewhere that there was a bit of a stock panic today.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #232 on: November 08, 2012, 06:15:01 AM »
Ahhh yes of course. Stands to reason that Wall Street are in a panic that Obama's been re-elected. He's about the most anti-business chief executive this country has ever had.

I was hoping it was more due to the Starburst article (though I thought that was a long shot). But this makes more sense.

Terwyn

• Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #233 on: November 08, 2012, 06:16:32 AM »
Why would a stock panic in the US effect a company on the Korean market? I think there's something else in play.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #234 on: November 08, 2012, 06:21:03 AM »
Well consider - it's all connected - if U.S. Stocks tumble, then that's affecting the western market. Less value for the stocks = less value for the companies = less disposable income = less willingness to hire people = fewer jobs = more people under-employed = less disposable income for things like games and entertainment.

And the fact that this is heading into the Christmas Season is just doubly bad.

EDIT: So yeah - that's going to affect NCSoft because that means fewer people are willing to buy their games.

Of course we could be having a small effect even with all of this. If people have less disposable income, they're going to want to be much more careful of their purchases. They may actually be researching the games ahead of time. And a google search on NCSoft might just be turning up a few negative things here and there...

Terwyn

• Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #235 on: November 08, 2012, 06:23:34 AM »
Well consider - it's all connected - if U.S. Stocks tumble, then that's affecting the western market. Less value for the stocks = less value for the companies = less disposable income = less willingness to hire people = fewer jobs = more people under-employed = less disposable income for things like games and entertainment.

And the fact that this is heading into the Christmas Season is just doubly bad.

I am aware of that, I just don't think the effect is that great.
- Albert Einstein

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #236 on: November 08, 2012, 06:27:08 AM »
Ooooh...

Just as a "for example" I just now did a basic "News for NCSoft" search on Google and Look what just floated to the top! 

http://my.mmosite.com/2281165/blog/item/ncsoft_killing_them_softly.html

(Gonna go do a quick crosspost on this up in the "Thank the media" thread.)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #237 on: November 08, 2012, 06:43:17 AM »
I am aware of that, I just don't think the effect is that great.

Sadly, it doesn't usually take much. You can make a million jokes about it. I used to make a crack that there was a perk to living in the Middle East during the wars, because any civilian could influence global gas prices just by making an obscene gesture at an occupying soldier.

More recently, one on the Onion that was absolutely priceless. "Dow Jones plummets due to rumors of Dow Jones plummeting."

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #238 on: November 08, 2012, 03:21:16 PM »
If the US economy tanks, then the world has a good chance of following it... and that markets reflected that.

Indeedy. This article in the Korean Times today shows what happens when the Korean won gains strength against the dollar -

Soaring won squeezes companies
Quote from: The Korea Times Nov 8th 2012
The majority of exporters here have seen their bottom lines deteriorate as a result of the steep appreciation of the Korean won against the dollar and other major foreign currencies over the past few months.

- an effect that would be doubled should the dollar start to slide globally as well as the won strengthening of course.

Whether this is enough to have the sudden drop impact we've just seen on NCsoft's share prices is anybody's guess of course - their market is still mostly domestic, and their overseas products are digital rather than physical exports for the most part. Personally I'm going with what gangrel and Tim say about 'ripple effects' from small point sources disturbing the market.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #239 on: November 08, 2012, 03:41:42 PM »
 A simple 'NCSoft news' google gets nothing but 'they've closed CoH articles,' varying in tone from the merely reporting to the outright condemning. No Guild Wars II articles, just all about our fight. Way to go!