Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 722984 times)

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #2140 on: August 31, 2013, 01:26:11 AM »
No I meant that once Plan Z becomes reality and goes live, we try to use it to help us get back CoH.

And I don't know, maybe if we get that far then we can integrate the two together?

While ignoring the massive expense, the amount of coding that would be required would be so massive as to make it effectively impossible.
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2141 on: September 05, 2013, 01:56:35 AM »
I'm a little curious as to whether somebody has looked into the feasibility of this.

Hostile takeovers occur when someone gets enough stock to get a seat on the Board of Directors and then convinces the Board to change leadership. I looked into what it would take back in Feb and wrote this...

As for the leadership getting forced out... that's also not going to happen. To do that you first need to get a seat on the board, then you need to talk the majority of the board around to ousting Kim. Getting on the board isn't easy. You'd pretty much have to buy out Nexon or TPG to do it. In any case, it would cost somewhere around $200M to get your hands on enough stock to force your way onto the board. And if you did go after Nexon's stock, for example, you'd find they're run by one of Kim's closest friends and that he'd get a better deal and first chance at the stock. But let's say you replace Byung-moo Park on the board. That still leaves you trying to talk two out of three of Kim's close friends and associates into stabbing him in the back (there are five board members, so you need your own vote plus two others). I doubt there's one chance in a billion of getting COO Hee-sang Lee to do that. Meaning you have to get both Myung Oh and Yun-seok Seo to side with you. They're both close to Kim and particularly his wife Yoon. I've said it before and I'll say it again... NCsoft is not some old megacorp being run by a group of detached investor proxies, it's a young company being run by the founders and a very close-knit group of socially connected individuals. There's just no crack for a hostile takeover effort to pry open. Kim isn't going anywhere until he feels like it.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2142 on: September 05, 2013, 02:30:56 AM »
Yup Kosmos.

Come to think of it, if I was asked by one new board member to get rid of a friend, that would be a very hard sell.

Imagine tables turned.

Lets say This website was a corporation with Tony as CEO, the Admin/mods as board members. And say, I don't know, Evil or someone of the likes gets on the board and she feels TonyV slighted her and thus expects the rest to stab TonyV and get rid of him. How many people would vote to do that? And how many would even blame the admin for not ridding of TonyV?

After doing some research, Kim seems to be viewed very very favorable within the board. Most of the time a hostile takeover happens when the board is looking to rid of the CEO and or head haunch anyways but don't have enough to buy em out and thus gets some outside help. And yes in a very few cases, it's the classical outside company just use brute money strength and buy and take over that way but that don't happen too often in big corporations. And NCSOFT is not a small company in the gaming business. They may not do too well relatively in the US or western gaming market but the US and western gaming market isn't the only market. And some people ding them for not making games catered to western tastes very well but to be fair, many US gaming companies like Activision don't build all of their games that cater to Asian taste, like CoD BOPs and of course some American style games do not do well over there but still say they are a worldwide company.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2143 on: September 05, 2013, 07:32:07 AM »
Well then the answer is obvious. We need to acquire something that NCSoft wants. Something they want very badly.

I have no idea what that is, but I'm willing to bet that would be a more attainable goal than the brute-force method of trying to take over the company, lol.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #2144 on: September 05, 2013, 11:58:38 PM »
I wonder how much it would cost to buy the baseball team out from under them.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2145 on: September 06, 2013, 12:43:42 AM »
Probably a pretty penny. They been trying to get into baseball overthere for years. In 2001, they tried buying a team and lost the bid. Then in 2011 created their own, NC Dinos.

Sounds strangely familiar. Made offer, lost, decided to create their own. hmmm. Anyways... to the point.

Not sure how much would they take but given this is the teams first season, they probably want to hold onto it for a bit but I have no idea how the baseball team sale/buy/creation system works there. If it works like buying a MLB team even on a small end, then it's probably pricey that even some run of the mill millionaire can just up and buy one. And seeing that each of the teams is owned by some of the largest corporations in Korea, it's probably very very  exspensive...but less than a hostile takeover  ;D. Want to start a kickstarter for it? :D

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2146 on: September 06, 2013, 06:30:57 PM »
Here big business is content simply having their name on the stadium.  In South Korea and Japan they actually own and run the baseball team.  It's an extension of corporate spirit/pride/ego much like your teams in high school or college.

In their first year the NC Dinos are currently #8 in a 9 team league.  There's an extinction joke in there somewhere.

Rank  Name - Games Played  Won  Tie  Loss  Runs For:Against  Win Percentage

1.    Samsung Lions - 107  61  2  44  539:469  0.589    

2.    LG Twins - 109  64  0  45  541:429  0.587    

3.    Doosan Bears - 110  62  2  46  601:529  0.582    

4.    Nexen Heroes - 109  59  2  48  551:511  0.560    

5.    Lotte Giants - 107  53  3  51  457:468  0.523    

6.    SK Wyverns - 104  52  2  50  465:448  0.519    

7.    KIA Tigers - 105  46  2  57  494:560  0.457    

8.    NC Dinos - 109  45  4  60  456:480  0.450    

9.    Hanwha Eagles - 106  32  1  73  381:591  0.311    
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2147 on: September 06, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »
Probably a pretty penny. They been trying to get into baseball overthere for years. In 2001, they tried buying a team and lost the bid. Then in 2011 created their own, NC Dinos.

Sounds strangely familiar. Made offer, lost, decided to create their own. hmmm. Anyways... to the point.

Not sure how much would they take but given this is the teams first season, they probably want to hold onto it for a bit but I have no idea how the baseball team sale/buy/creation system works there. If it works like buying a MLB team even on a small end, then it's probably pricey that even some run of the mill millionaire can just up and buy one. And seeing that each of the teams is owned by some of the largest corporations in Korea, it's probably very very  exspensive...but less than a hostile takeover  ;D. Want to start a kickstarter for it? :D

The teams aren't that expensive, around $20M, but few run in the black so you have to expect to keep feeding money into them. And all are sponsored/owned by large corporations - including Samsung, Kia and LG. The KT Wiz are the next expansion team, to be added in 2015. The teams rarely change hands and - as with all such leagues - getting the OK to join is rather political.

The NC Dinos were originally going to play in Seoul, but ended up in Changwon down on the southern tip of Korea. They replaced Hyundai's defunct club there. The Hyundai club was called the "Unicorns" and folded in 2008. So NCSoft's team is the stand in for the Unicorns. The Unicorns themselves were subsequently resurrected in 2010 and are now known as the Nexen Heroes. Another mild irony for us here on Titan.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2148 on: September 06, 2013, 06:46:47 PM »
The teams aren't that expensive, around $20M, but few run in the black so you have to expect to keep feeding money into them. And all are sponsored/owned by large corporations - including Samsung, Kia and LG. The KT Wiz are the next expansion team, to be added in 2015. The teams rarely change hands and - as with all such leagues - getting the OK to join is rather political.

The NC Dinos were originally going to play in Seoul, but ended up in Changwon down on the southern tip of Korea. They replaced Hyundai's defunct club there. The Hyundai club was called the "Unicorns" and folded in 2008. So NCSoft's team is the stand in for the Unicorns. The Unicorns themselves were subsequently resurrected in 2010 and are now known as the Nexen Heroes. Another mild irony for us here on Titan.

yeah  I was figuring the maintain factor and the political factor of getting it.  Money and politics go hand in hand.

Did the NC Dinos play the Nexen Heroes yet?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2149 on: September 06, 2013, 07:00:02 PM »
Here big business is content simply having their name on the stadium.  In South Korea and Japan they actually own and run the baseball team.  It's an extension of corporate spirit/pride/ego much like your teams in high school or college.

In their first year the NC Dinos are currently #8 in a 9 team league.  There's an extinction joke in there somewhere.

yeah that tends to happen with new teams sometimes. Tampa Rays (devil Rays) didnt do well in their first few seasons either but made their championship appearance finally in 2008 but lost. But for nearly a decade came dead last most of the time in their division not even breaking the 50% win mark.

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2150 on: September 06, 2013, 07:44:09 PM »
yeah  I was figuring the maintain factor and the political factor of getting it.  Money and politics go hand in hand.

Did the NC Dinos play the Nexen Heroes yet?

They just had a two game series. Nexen won 2-1 yesterday. Today's game was rained out. They split the previous series 6-5, 1-6 (NC's score listed first). Back in June Nexen took 2 out of 3: 4-1, 1-2, 5-9. They split 2 in May: 4-6, 7-1. Nexen took both in April: 0-1, 2-12. And in March they split 2: 1-6, 7-4. So, Nexen leads the head-to-head season series 8-4.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2151 on: September 06, 2013, 08:34:03 PM »
They just had a two game series. Nexen won 2-1 yesterday. Today's game was rained out. They split the previous series 6-5, 1-6 (NC's score listed first). Back in June Nexen took 2 out of 3: 4-1, 1-2, 5-9. They split 2 in May: 4-6, 7-1. Nexen took both in April: 0-1, 2-12. And in March they split 2: 1-6, 7-4. So, Nexen leads the head-to-head season series 8-4.
Heroes dont win all the time but they prevail most of the time. XD

Stormsurge

• Minion
« Reply #2152 on: September 12, 2013, 11:23:18 AM »
Why waste your money trying to cause NCSoft's downfall when they'll most likely do the work for you? Sure you'll have to wait it out. I'm sure they'll attempt some kind of move that will infuriated the GW2 community, enough for those players to realize as COH players know, just what kind of publisher really supports the game. At least, that's what I hope will happen.

Even so, until they decide to actually release the rights to COH or what have you, there is nothing much we as players can do other then not play their games and not give them money.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2153 on: September 12, 2013, 06:45:37 PM »
The focus should not be on the demise of NCSoft. The focus should always been on acquiring all rights, data and material regarding City of Heroes. If that means giving them money, then so be it.

I dream of the day when all of that gets delivered to the Titan Network, and TonyV takes many pictures and shares it with us.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:51:38 PM by CoyoteSeven »

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2154 on: September 13, 2013, 06:10:23 AM »
Why waste your money trying to cause NCSoft's downfall when they'll most likely do the work for you? Sure you'll have to wait it out. I'm sure they'll attempt some kind of move that will infuriated the GW2 community, enough for those players to realize as COH players know, just what kind of publisher really supports the game. At least, that's what I hope will happen.

Even so, until they decide to actually release the rights to COH or what have you, there is nothing much we as players can do other then not play their games and not give them money.
Yeah.

But you can replace COH in your statement with any game they closed and replace GW2 with COX and that is probably what more than a few players said then. Well I know for a fact and seen quite of few players or rather ex-players of Tabula Rasa say something of the sort.

The sad part is that even if NCSOFT falls, the ones that will suffer for it wont be the ones that made the decision. It will be the players and the employees. The people that make the decisions will still have golden parachute and probably walk away in some cases with more money then they were making keeping the company running. Then when they get bored of counting the millions, they might start a new venture and repeat process.

COH players always knew the type of publisher they were dealing with. But it was merely words on the screen at the time of a "disgruntled ex-player salty about their game being closed" and as some put it at the time, came to COX to whine. Now we see what they saw feel what they felt. And hopefully more understanding now of what they were saying and trying to warn us about.

damo2113

• Underling
« Reply #2155 on: September 27, 2013, 12:17:44 AM »
Hi guys, im new to the thread, but iv been following it for some time. I didnt play COH, but understand your pain, it sucks when something you love it taken from you. My personal opinion is expect aggressive ralliesfor NCSOFT as GW2 goes to china and Wildstar releases next year spring. Also dont forget Lineage Eternal which is looming.

The main reason on im posting is becuase there is a really really decent presence of market knowledge about NCSOFT here and their stocks. I really enjoy listening to all your feedback especially Father Xmas's.

So im curious. we just had a strong rally from 179 500 to 194 000 over the last 2 days. Does anyone know the reason, I personally was expecting to see more Investor Risk sentiment kick in after the lack luster Q2 report we had last month, we had it about 15% drop but now we have seen an aggressive rally in the last few days.

I suspect this is just that inevitable correction you guys where talking about.
I have looked around and short of GW2 releasing a new content patch and 7day free trial, there is little else on the Radar.

Currently my theory is it could be to do with the report "Online, Social and Mobile Games Publishers and Market in Asia" that was just released that had NCSOFT in the report. I cant confirm this, as its locked behind a $3000 paywall. But short of that is this just a correction, or do expensive reports like this cause rallies of over 10% in 2 days?

Cheers
Damo

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #2156 on: September 27, 2013, 03:55:36 AM »
ive still been following this thread as well but not as closesly as ncsoft stocks are stable and not complete nosedive like they were around the time of the shutdown

i was one of the many hoping that they were crashing and burning from the negative publicity (regardless of the actual chance they would have burned out), but obviously that ended up not happening and they seem to have recovered almost completely

so ive not been following their stocks as closely since its not as relevant due to them recovering (the discussion about it still makes sense since if they do happen to somehow crash and burn then would be likely our time to pounce)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2157 on: September 27, 2013, 07:42:26 AM »
Hi guys, im new to the thread, but iv been following it for some time. I didnt play COH, but understand your pain, it sucks when something you love it taken from you. My personal opinion is expect aggressive ralliesfor NCSOFT as GW2 goes to china and Wildstar releases next year spring. Also dont forget Lineage Eternal which is looming.

The main reason on im posting is becuase there is a really really decent presence of market knowledge about NCSOFT here and their stocks. I really enjoy listening to all your feedback especially Father Xmas's.

So im curious. we just had a strong rally from 179 500 to 194 000 over the last 2 days. Does anyone know the reason, I personally was expecting to see more Investor Risk sentiment kick in after the lack luster Q2 report we had last month, we had it about 15% drop but now we have seen an aggressive rally in the last few days.

I suspect this is just that inevitable correction you guys where talking about.
I have looked around and short of GW2 releasing a new content patch and 7day free trial, there is little else on the Radar.

Currently my theory is it could be to do with the report "Online, Social and Mobile Games Publishers and Market in Asia" that was just released that had NCSOFT in the report. I cant confirm this, as its locked behind a $3000 paywall. But short of that is this just a correction, or do expensive reports like this cause rallies of over 10% in 2 days?

Cheers
Damo

Honestly don't know.  Haven't seen any news from Asia that would have spurred the market that much, just some standard PR from NCSOFT.  But that price surge had 5-6x the usual number of shares traded.  Some big event in Lineage announced a few days ago.  Aion released V4.5 (or maybe info on 4.5, Google Translate garbles) and B&S is having a population upswing in Korea with the V2.0 release but that announcement was two weeks ago.  B&S play test server is up in China but that was the end of August, something between closed and open beta.  Except for that Lineage bit everything was more than a week old.

What might have happen is someone decided the bad news about the Wildstar delay, which caused all the analysts to lower their estimates, along with the 2Q numbers that hammered the stock in August was an overreaction. 

Or there was a leak, a good juicy positive leak that isn't quite public yet.

Definitely had nothing to do with the baseball team.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #2158 on: September 27, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »

If I could afford to, I'd certainly buy it right out from under them.

And then I'd shut it down.  I'd cite "a realignment of focus" as my reason.
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #2159 on: September 27, 2013, 02:46:16 PM »

I don't know about you guys, but I just became a Hanwha Eagles fan.   ;)