Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 722969 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #2080 on: May 17, 2013, 02:32:54 PM »
The original cable TV monopolies started, at least in my state, was based on them taking on the up front cost of stringing up the cable throughout a region.  By guaranteeing every home in a region could be connected to it for a modest fee, they were given monopoly status for that region and their rates would be regulated as a public utility.  This was still back in the day of the original Ma Bell where you rented the phones in your home (I'm talking the late 1960s).

Yeah, it used to be like that in the up to the 90s here. But  Time Warner kept rasing rates while quality kept going down and violated the contract. And now there are other players in town. Many people getting ATT wireless.

LOL. I remember hearing about the phone rental things (and how some people had their phone repoed) back in those days from elders in my family.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2081 on: May 17, 2013, 02:53:32 PM »
Well ATT U-Verse is sprouting up all over but there was a huge fight in my state by the various regional cable companies to first stop them and then making sure they got regulated as well.  The thing is U-Verse can cherry pick their roll out, wiring more affluent areas first, even if this means wiring past many less affluent neighborhoods to get there.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2082 on: May 17, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »
Well ATT U-Verse is sprouting up all over but there was a huge fight in my state by the various regional cable companies to first stop them and then making sure they got regulated as well.  The thing is U-Verse can cherry pick their roll out, wiring more affluent areas first, even if this means wiring past many less affluent neighborhoods to get there.

Yeah Time Warner made a huge fuss about ATT not long ago out here but basically was told to shut up and improve service if thye wish to survive.

ATT is starting to eat them alive and basically overtook them in the business package service.  But Time Warner is fighting back by tying in their service with a lot of apartment complexes before ATT get to them but ATT is fighting back by ensuring good wireless connection even in Time Warner territory, which a lot of people are doing anyways especially with lap tops. And also since ATT phone service is popular here and offer cable, phone and internet packages and even just internet and phone packages, many people are switching. Time Warner is in trouble out here a place they once had monopoly but squandered it but see, enough people got fed up and ended that monopoly, and then many switching over to ATT. Of course Time Warner will still fight and probably wont even notices a dent in money if they lose entire El Paso but consumers are not powerless they just have to do the talking with thier wallets and sometimes political votes instead of useless surveys and ranting on opinion sites.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2083 on: May 17, 2013, 03:51:10 PM »
All I have to say is that I have been very negatively impressed with Time Warner as a service provider, and I live in one of the apartment complexes where they're the only option.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2084 on: May 17, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »
All I have to say is that I have been very negatively impressed with Time Warner as a service provider, and I live in one of the apartment complexes where they're the only option.

Yeah, I havent heard too many in fact, no one I came across that said, I love Time Warner. But many people have to put up with them espeically around here because it's the only cable internet available in their apartment complex.

I have them, they are meh, especially when fish hit the shampoo, it's like no one ever knows what is going on. The usual, "reset the modem, unplug it for ten seconds and reset it." I'm like "dude, I been customer for years so of course that is first thing I tried before calling you, how about stop stalling and lets get down to the real issue." Come to find out, after that, and basically threatening to "find a way" to get a refund due to too many days without lack of service, it was the main box in the area that was on the fritz. Sometimes customer service reps need to shut up for a sec and listen to the customer as many especially non-first timers know the basics of restting the computer and modem and stuff. And another tiem they tried to pin it on my network card. Fine, I just bought a new computer anyways, that was sitting in box and had another one I just aquired. And I said, ya meaning to tell me, that all three computers, including the one straight out the box, network cards is on the fritz? Stop BSing me. Even the one hooked up now, yesterday, while having problems as you labeled my internal network card, as I said yesterday and the day before, it's not the network card." Then eventually after a couple of days of time wasting lo and behold they finally came out and it was the actual modem that they supplied that was on the fritz.  Poor customer service.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2085 on: May 22, 2013, 05:53:01 PM »
Stock's taking a crazy dive of like 6k won.  Any ideas why?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2086 on: May 22, 2013, 06:04:33 PM »

:(

My first instinct was to sell sell sell. But had to think long term. Hopefully it goes up and I made right decision.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2087 on: May 22, 2013, 07:10:16 PM »
Note that 6k KRW is only like five dollars, so it's not really a "crazy dive"...
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2088 on: May 22, 2013, 07:16:36 PM »

Nothing at any of the news sites.  One analyst lowered their 2nd, 3rd quarter and 2013 year end sales estimates.  The consensus for those numbers are down slightly.  The first GW2 China beta is over.  I haven't really seen any 3rd party opinion on how that went.

Maybe it's just profit taking.  There was a big move up first thing Monday and now there's a big move down first thing Wednesday.  Still the stock is up 23% in the last 3 months, 15.9% for the year.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2089 on: May 22, 2013, 07:19:05 PM »
Note that 6k KRW is only like five dollars, so it's not really a "crazy dive"...

Well it is a 2.8% drop in a day.  Of course there was a 6.7% rise back on May 3rd that few noted.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2090 on: May 23, 2013, 04:50:15 PM »
Well it is a 2.8% drop in a day.  Of course there was a 6.7% rise back on May 3rd that few noted.

Still, the last two days did wipe out all the gains it had made since April 19th.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2091 on: May 23, 2013, 05:57:38 PM »
True but it still has been quite the run up since the stock bottomed just after the 4Q numbers were published in February at 128,000 KrW.

I still don't see any news pertaining to NCSOFT or any of their games, or anything negative about their current closed beta going on in China for B&S.

I'll stick with profit taking.

KSinclaire

• Underling
    • Dear Kat, an advice column for roleplayers.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2093 on: May 25, 2013, 04:07:28 PM »
A few interesting tidbits about the way NCSoft handles games.

I was hoping this wouldn't be Dontain's video again.  It's sad that I can recognize the video ID.

He doesn't know anything he is talking about.  He totally misread an article about the last investor conference call, one that ArenaNet rebuffed a day later for a second time (NCSOFT did the same thing at the 4Q CC as well).  He also completely ignores the fact that "Hey, NCSOFT owns ArenaNet so on one level, it's all NCSOFT's money anyways" before he spins off wildly about who ArenaNet isn't calling the shots or sees any of the cash shop money and before he digs into the laundry list of everything GW1 (and WoW) players have been complaining about in GW2.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #2094 on: May 25, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »
I was hoping this wouldn't be Dontain's video again.  It's sad that I can recognize the video ID.

He doesn't know anything he is talking about.  He totally misread an article about the last investor conference call, one that ArenaNet rebuffed a day later for a second time (NCSOFT did the same thing at the 4Q CC as well).  He also completely ignores the fact that "Hey, NCSOFT owns ArenaNet so on one level, it's all NCSOFT's money anyways" before he spins off wildly about who ArenaNet isn't calling the shots or sees any of the cash shop money and before he digs into the laundry list of everything GW1 (and WoW) players have been complaining about in GW2.

It makes perfect sense to me considering how they handled City of Heroes and their communications to the US/EU markets thus far:

That we're not a market they care about or are really interested in, and the games we're interested in aren't games they are interested in, we're a quick cash in side project to help fund projects they care about that sell well in markets they care about.

That makes perfect sense with shutting down CoH when it was merely making enough money for itself. NCSoft put almost no money into making CoH a better brand (programmers, advertisement) because it wasn't a game their CEOs either understood or cared about and we (US/EU) aren't a market they understand or care about. They wanted to throw in the bare minimal of effort to get a quick chunk of development change to throw towards their favored market, and the minute we were no longer funding their other games, even if we were in the black, we got the axe.

They don't care about our perception of their company, because, again we're not who they're interested in selling to. We were an open wallet for Lineage and Blade & Soul development. Nothing more.

They won't sell CoH because the IP, in the hands of people who understand the genre and our market, could create competition for them, but they won't leave the lights on because it's not funding games they personally find interesting.

So, hearing somebody complain that the same thing is happening with Guild Wars 2? Makes perfect sense to me.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2095 on: May 26, 2013, 12:09:52 AM »
Honestly I was thinking of not replying but it's rainy, cold and I'm quite bored.

It makes perfect sense to me considering how they handled City of Heroes and their communications to the US/EU markets thus far:

That we're not a market they care about or are really interested in, and the games we're interested in aren't games they are interested in, we're a quick cash in side project to help fund projects they care about that sell well in markets they care about.

I hardly think a 5 year commitment to developing a game would count as a "side project".  And considering the game broke the 200 billion KrW mark in 7 months that took GW 7 years to accomplish, a mark that our game didn't, should pretty much define it as a major success and not as some stop gap income scheme because the chiefs at NCSOFT "knew" that 5 years down the line after they GW2 started development that they would need to shore up their own income.  Right.

That makes perfect sense with shutting down CoH when it was merely making enough money for itself. NCSoft put almost no money into making CoH a better brand (programmers, advertisement) because it wasn't a game their CEOs either understood or cared about and we (US/EU) aren't a market they understand or care about. They wanted to throw in the bare minimal of effort to get a quick chunk of development change to throw towards their favored market, and the minute we were no longer funding their other games, even if we were in the black, we got the axe.

Advertisement argument again.  Please show me where they advertise any of their games in the US marketplace a year out of their initial release or holiday season?  They don't.  As for staffing levels, Paragon had plenty of staff, they just weren't working on CoH.  If ANet was being raided for income then why are they on a hiring bonanza?

They don't care about our perception of their company, because, again we're not who they're interested in selling to. We were an open wallet for Lineage and Blade & Soul development. Nothing more.

They won't sell CoH because the IP, in the hands of people who understand the genre and our market, could create competition for them, but they won't leave the lights on because it's not funding games they personally find interesting.

And this is where I award you the Tin Foil Hat conspiracy theory reward.  :roll:   Lineage has been around since 1998.  It's annual sales today are greater then when CoH first came out.  It is South Korea's WoW.  It's the country's #1 MMO and is only challenged by other NCSOFT titles.  Sure some new hot MMO pops up every so often and rise to the top of the charts but it quickly fades away and Lineage once again assumes the lead.  Now if you think the paltry income our game brought in was funneled off to pay for the continued development cost of Lineage, which at worse made only twice as much in the same quarter as CoH but usually made 5 to 10 times as much, then you are really invested in this notion that the chiefs at NCSOFT has an ax to grind with us or maybe just the whole western hemisphere.

So, hearing somebody complain that the same thing is happening with Guild Wars 2? Makes perfect sense to me.

What drives Dontain and his followers is the fact that GW2 offers a way to pay for cash shop items with in-game gold.  If this didn't exist there would be a lot less bemoaning on the GW2 boards.  But you ask, isn't that a good thing?  Well yes and no.  They implemented a proxy currency exchange which allows those who buy Gems (the name of the proxy currency) with cash to exchange them for gold, establishing an approved way to buy gold, and interlocking it with the gold for Gems.  They made it a floating rate so as more players bought gems with gold, the exchange rate would change making it more expensive to buy gems with gold but make it more attractive to buy gold with gems bought with cash. 

Problem is that now 8ish months in the Gold to Gem price is now 10x what it was in the beginning, 50% more than just two months ago.  Why?  Because they started to offer good stuff at the cash shop and everybody bought gems with all their gold.  And what's worse, most of the items bought were gift boxes with a "rare" chance for something and a lot of players had a very different definition of "rare" than the developers.  So now they are out of gold and it's not really easy to earn gold in GW2.  There are a few "farms" and speed runs you can do until you are bored to death.  You can try to become a market savvy trader but all the "good" items to flip are already squatted on by players more savvy than you.  But ArenaNet is shutting down the prime farms because it destabilizes the price of some goods.

So it boils down to players upset that they can't earn lots of gold so they can get "for free" items off the cash shop who they blame on Nexon/NCSOFT because ArenaNet hired a former Nexon cash shop person for their expertise so it must be Nexon pulling NCSOFT's strings to saddle ArenaNet with a horrible cash shop person who implemented gift boxes that had "rare" desirable skins (think costume pieces) that they didn't get after they spent all the gold trying to.

Simply because they allowed players to buy cash shop items with gold.  No good deed ...

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #2096 on: June 02, 2013, 06:13:48 AM »
to try to keep this on track, the last week has seen a noticeable down slope in ncsoft stock, ive not been keeping up with the news so i wouldnt have the first idea what could be causing it, or if it is just a standard up/down slope

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2097 on: June 02, 2013, 09:44:42 AM »
to try to keep this on track, the last week has seen a noticeable down slope in ncsoft stock, ive not been keeping up with the news so i wouldnt have the first idea what could be causing it, or if it is just a standard up/down slope

No idea.  None of the analysts covering the stock issued any adjustments in the last week.  No negative stories about them.  Some more talk about government wanting to cut back gaming hours per day.  There was a piece at ThisIsGame (Korean version) that appeared (Google Translate, it's hard to tell sometimes) to be a post mortem about Blade & Soul, why it isn't doing as well as people thought it would (players burn through content too quickly and become bored).  I see lots of talk about mobile gaming but none referring to NCSOFT, that could be read as bad I guess.

No news is bad news?  It could still be profit taking from the rise since early February.

Randomvector

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2098 on: June 07, 2013, 02:49:09 AM »
Way down today for some reason...

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2099 on: June 07, 2013, 10:23:53 AM »
Again, nothing.  Well NCSOFT did feed a story that GW2 and WildStar is generating loads of interest in the west with GW2 already selling over 3 million copies (old news) and WildStar being one of the most anticipated games for 2013 (again old news, but maybe new to Korean press?).  It's a rah-rah puff piece. 

Like I said last time, no real news is bad news.  Well like me redefine that.  No mobile gaming news is bad news.  It's where are your mobile games in Korea?  Everyone seems to have something new in that platform.