Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 722929 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #2060 on: May 14, 2013, 09:05:42 PM »
Isn't Evony basically a turn-based strategy game? In other words, nothing like what the scantily clad women shown in the ads?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2061 on: May 14, 2013, 09:55:14 PM »
Isn't Evony basically a turn-based strategy game? In other words, nothing like what the scantily clad women shown in the ads?

ssshhhh!   :roll:
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2062 on: May 14, 2013, 10:45:41 PM »
Yeah, the tangent needs to end.

Elections will always speak for themselves, and we don't need to be tearing each other apart in here.

I wasn't tearing anyone apart, unless it was El Rushbo; and I get the impression he's into that kind of thing anyways. I will qualify that the "he" in my prior post was referring to the aforementioned hot air balloon, and not to Segev. Please excuse any misunderstanding.

V-Mink

• Lieutenant
  • Greenside
« Reply #2063 on: May 15, 2013, 03:37:28 PM »
The funniest sendup of the Evony ads was (I think) AdventureQuest.  "Pants, m'Lord?"

The problem with web ads is that, to me at least, they look... kind of tawdry.  Even, perhaps especially, when they're animated.  I've yet to see a web ad that didn't look kind of strained or cheesy or wan.  This could just be a twenty-year-old dislike for web ads in general, though, so take what I say with some salt (and Geritol.  Damn kids on my lawn.)

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #2064 on: May 15, 2013, 08:01:40 PM »
Don't tell that to everybody, most games will stop selling because of you!
Yeeessss....

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2065 on: May 15, 2013, 09:05:41 PM »
Don't tell that to everybody, most games will stop selling because of you!

Hey! I've lost entire weekends to Civ games, as well as the occasional day here and there to Age of Empires. I'm just sayin', if you show cleavage in the ad, and there isn't any in the game, I'm gonna be disappointed. I'm not gonna say, "this game is a festering, poopy, pile of lies!" Assuming it's a fun game. However, I already have the Civ series up thru 4, including the Call to Power games, so I don't need to try some online monetized version. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Quinch

« Reply #2066 on: May 16, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »
Back on topic, NCsoft is rapidly backpedaling away from their announced "expansion".

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/05/14/ncsoft-taking-a-wait-and-see-stance-on-guild-wars-2-expansion/

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #2067 on: May 16, 2013, 02:25:39 PM »

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2068 on: May 16, 2013, 03:47:22 PM »
Is anyone else mildly amused by their choice of screenshot there?

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2069 on: May 16, 2013, 04:19:06 PM »
Is anyone else mildly amused by their choice of screenshot there?

Female Norn Engineer or Thief (I'm leaning Thief) wearing the Duelist Armor set?

This is the 2nd time in a row they had to back pedal on the whole GW2 expansion story.  I think that there is a lot of instutional belief that since GW1 came out with "expansions" at a relatively rapid rate that GW2 must also because it's subscription free.

I'm imagining after explaining in detail how the income model is planned to work in GW2, releasing free monthly story segments and tying them into new items at the cash store, the analysts nod along as if they understand and when the presentation is over the first question is "so when is the expansion coming out?"  So as to not confuse the analysts they say sometime, it gets reported it's coming out and ANet once again gets to walk the story back.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:27:12 PM by FatherXmas »

Quinch

« Reply #2070 on: May 16, 2013, 04:30:35 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly - are you saying it's basically a planned thing? How's that work in NCsoft's favor - each time they do it, it makes them look less in control of their own subsidiaries.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2071 on: May 16, 2013, 05:26:02 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly - are you saying it's basically a planned thing? How's that work in NCsoft's favor - each time they do it, it makes them look less in control of their own subsidiaries.

No but it's tough to change people's minds once they get an idea planted.  Back in the day GW was controversial because it was B2P with no subscription.  In 2005 that was virtually unheard of but they were able to make it work with those additional box releases and a modest cash shop.

So when GW2 comes around, also B2P with no subscriptions, the analysts all assume it will be just like GW with an expansion coming out in a year.  They keep asking about it.

Since we hate to talk about cultural differences here, I'm sorry, but in a lot of Asian countries, you simply do not say no in a face to face (live) conversation.  It's considered rude.  You deflect, you say the matter is under consideration, you nod your head in agreement as if you concede them the point they are making but you say anything but no.  Don't ask me why, it's one of the biggest source of misunderstandings in East meet West business discussions when someone new is exposed to it for the first time.  So they end up leaving the idea that an expansion is in the works on the table by not denying it.  This then puts the onus on the rude western company, ArenaNet, to say no while reiterating what was actually said in the conference call.  Corporate CFO saves face and the truth eventually gets reported a few days later.

Quinch

« Reply #2072 on: May 16, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »
Okay, I guess that makes sense in a roundabout sort of way.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2073 on: May 16, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »
Since we hate to talk about cultural differences here, I'm sorry, but in a lot of Asian countries, you simply do not say no in a face to face (live) conversation.  It's considered rude.  You deflect, you say the matter is under consideration, you nod your head in agreement as if you concede them the point they are making but you say anything but no.

This is also called "sales" in any part of the world. :)

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #2074 on: May 16, 2013, 07:50:08 PM »
This isn't just and east vs. west thing. This same tactic has been used by politicians, businessmen, public officials, pundits, and just about everybody who makes their living working with the public. The whole idea is to imply that you are open to everything without ever actually going on record as being either for or against it.

Personally I hope A-net does stand their ground on this. Not because of any (somewhat justified) anti- NC Soft bias on my part, but more because it annoys me when I see anybody acting this way. If you're going to run a business, run it as fairly as you can. Leave the 'creative accounting' and 'innovative marketing strategies' to those people who just want to make a fast buck. If you want customers who will be with you 20-50-100 years down the road, behave.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2075 on: May 16, 2013, 08:50:37 PM »
This isn't just and east vs. west thing. This same tactic has been used by politicians, businessmen, public officials, pundits, and just about everybody who makes their living working with the public. The whole idea is to imply that you are open to everything without ever actually going on record as being either for or against it.

Personally I hope A-net does stand their ground on this. Not because of any (somewhat justified) anti- NC Soft bias on my part, but more because it annoys me when I see anybody acting this way. If you're going to run a business, run it as fairly as you can. Leave the 'creative accounting' and 'innovative marketing strategies' to those people who just want to make a fast buck. If you want customers who will be with you 20-50-100 years down the road, behave.

Yeah wish it was that simple. Yet corporations that treat customers like mere numbers and don't give a crap about what they think rake in billions while businesses trying to keep a personal touch and fair shake barely survives it at all. Politicians, the same types keep voted in over and over and over and over. Its like people as a whole say they don't like it but don't make a move to one that suits what they say they want. Like the big uproar that happens every so often about BoA  charging fees for everything but not many making a move to banks that is better no fees or ability to talk to real person. Either people are fearful, hopeless feeling, or contrary to what some vocal people say like the way things are with corporations, don't care, or thinks its messed up but accept it as that is just how the world works. So in essence corporations get the best of both worlds. They can make a quick buck without regards and still have people hanging around for decades even if the gripe and complain and belly ache with or without good cause. On one hand why would they care if even the ones that gripe and complain  about the treatment and or customer service if they still put money into the company and or don't even bother leave? Don't sound like much incentive besides showing that companies can make a killing by screwing over customers and they may fuss and vote worse company polls but they still will go no where no matter how you treat them especially if ya a major company.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #2076 on: May 16, 2013, 10:54:03 PM »
Yeah wish it was that simple. Yet corporations that treat customers like mere numbers and don't give a crap about what they think rake in billions while businesses trying to keep a personal touch and fair shake barely survives it at all. Politicians, the same types keep voted in over and over and over and over. Its like people as a whole say they don't like it but don't make a move to one that suits what they say they want. Like the big uproar that happens every so often about BoA  charging fees for everything but not many making a move to banks that is better no fees or ability to talk to real person. Either people are fearful, hopeless feeling, or contrary to what some vocal people say like the way things are with corporations, don't care, or thinks its messed up but accept it as that is just how the world works. So in essence corporations get the best of both worlds. They can make a quick buck without regards and still have people hanging around for decades even if the gripe and complain and belly ache with or without good cause. On one hand why would they care if even the ones that gripe and complain  about the treatment and or customer service if they still put money into the company and or don't even bother leave? Don't sound like much incentive besides showing that companies can make a killing by screwing over customers and they may fuss and vote worse company polls but they still will go no where no matter how you treat them especially if ya a major company.

Sadly, true. And I admit to being old and cynical enough to know it. But, I'm also a bit of an old idealist. I do try to support businesses that show signs of caring about their customers or at least trying to do things the right way. They do seem to be few and far between these days but I'll support them when I find them.

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #2077 on: May 17, 2013, 10:02:42 AM »

I agree not enough people take a stand. I do what I can in my local market, from my banking, to my food shopping to my dining out. My area has so many little neat and wonderful stores. I wish more people stood up to big business with their wallets (*coughcoughncsoftcoughcough*). Sadly there are some institutions that have monopolies (cable tv, colleges, gas, power). With today's modern conveniences, the only way to make an impact would be to go without them ye old catch 22

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2078 on: May 17, 2013, 01:57:07 PM »
I agree not enough people take a stand. I do what I can in my local market, from my banking, to my food shopping to my dining out. My area has so many little neat and wonderful stores. I wish more people stood up to big business with their wallets (*coughcoughncsoftcoughcough*). Sadly there are some institutions that have monopolies (cable tv, colleges, gas, power). With today's modern conveniences, the only way to make an impact would be to go without them ye old catch 22

Yeah. Monopolies especially for somethings in small town. Re
Cable me personally is easy to without for me but some its up there with electricity as far as scale of needs.

In el paso there is one gas company one power company and many believe there is only one cable but actually over half dozen service the area.

How did these companies gain their monopoly here? It was voted by the people that was voted to city council who was voted in by the people.

And many people also are uneasy about the monopoly and other electric companies are itching to start here but blocked by government sanctioned monopoly. Lately though it seems that the power company is wearing out its grip by continued raising fees in the name of upgrades but the grid haven't been upgraded not a single penny since 1950. And an audit revealed the income that the fees were raised coincided directly with the extra millions to the penny the ceo got paid that year. There is rumor of plans and many upset elpaso citizens calling for ending the monopoly. I think the current monopoly contract expires in 2014 or 2016. And a couple of years after that we might be seeing two or more electric companies and maybe even a Mexican one.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2079 on: May 17, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »
The original cable TV monopolies started, at least in my state, was based on them taking on the up front cost of stringing up the cable throughout a region.  By guaranteeing every home in a region could be connected to it for a modest fee, they were given monopoly status for that region and their rates would be regulated as a public utility.  This was still back in the day of the original Ma Bell where you rented the phones in your home (I'm talking the late 1960s).