Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 722961 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #1920 on: April 02, 2013, 10:18:52 PM »
In reference to the latest stock update, wasn't February the end of  quarter? (And does that mean we are in a new quarter?)

No, they have proper quarters, Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep, Oct-Dec.  But yes, this quarter is now over and it will be 5-6 weeks before they release the numbers.  Historically the 1st quarter numbers comes out a few days before mid May.

IF YOU BELIEVE THEM.  :o

I expect GW2 numbers to go into the toilet simply because most of their income will be item shop now that the holiday season is over.  This is expected.  All the analysts have been told well in advance the likelihood this will happen (estimates or around 1/6th of the 4th quarter number). 

ArenaNet have been running sales, pushing out new player asked for items like a name change for $10 in Gems as well as a sale on the game itself.  I noticed while in Target the game is on sale for $45 this week. 

I also expect that cash purchases for Gems will increase as the gold->gem exchange rate in the game has rocketed upwards since the various sales and neat weapon skins in their version of Super Paks (the exchange rate floats based on how much gold is turned into gems and vice versa).  While accumulating gold in the game is easy it's slow and various patches and diminishing returns has reduced the number of farms one can spreed run every day for treasure that then can be converted eventually to gold.

Since their big 4 titles have 80%+ of their income from Korea, I don't know what the normal seasonal swing in sales is there so I can't guess what to expect, unlike GW2 which is currently exclusively in the west.  If there's unexpected change for the worse in sales for their other titles, then we may see a downward correction.  If GW2 does better than expected, it may go up. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:55:58 PM by FatherXmas »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #1921 on: April 03, 2013, 04:06:44 PM »
Thanks. :D I've never been big on getting the way the stock market works, so that was perfect. It'll be interesting to see the new numbers.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1922 on: April 03, 2013, 05:28:59 PM »
I think you mean Lisa. The iPod, as a property, is still going strong. (Isn't it?)

That or the Newton.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1923 on: April 08, 2013, 01:27:54 AM »
Any particular reason folks can think of that the NCSoft stock is slipping back down in increments?

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1924 on: April 08, 2013, 01:56:11 AM »
Either way. Insert any major corporation and product. Figured apple would be mist recognizable compared to some that is well known in my circles but unheard of in most others.

Not really "either way".  Apple is still producing and supporting iPod products, so it's not analogous to the situation City of Heroes is in with NCsoft (wherein NCSoft has discontinued anything even remotely having to do with CoH and is trying to pretend it doesn't even exist).

So you can't just compare it to just any corporation and product, you have to compare it to a corporation and a product that it's long since stopped producing and supporting.   That's why the aformentioned Lisa (a computer brand that Apple hasn't produced or supported since the 1980s) or Newton (Apple's line of PDAs that they discontinued in the late 1990s) are better comparisons than the iPod.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #1925 on: April 08, 2013, 02:32:18 AM »
Lisa and Newton aren't even the best examples. True, Apple doesn't support them, but try walking into an Apple Store and asking the "Genius Bar" to take a look at your early Intel-Mac (say, an original white MacBook). I couldn't get an answer on it when "Snow Leopard" was new, and I had just upgraded it to "Leopard." I know Apple still technically supports it, but they don't make it easy on you. And, when it comes down to it, I can still pull my old PowerMac out of the garage and fire it up, if I really feel masochistic.

And, Tubbius, it's amazing what a stray "ncStock--" can do...  ;D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #1926 on: April 08, 2013, 04:02:36 AM »
Lisa and Newton aren't even the best examples. True, Apple doesn't support them, but try walking into an Apple Store and asking the "Genius Bar" to take a look at your early Intel-Mac (say, an original white MacBook). I couldn't get an answer on it when "Snow Leopard" was new, and I had just upgraded it to "Leopard." I know Apple still technically supports it, but they don't make it easy on you. And, when it comes down to it, I can still pull my old PowerMac out of the garage and fire it up, if I really feel masochistic.

And, Tubbius, it's amazing what a stray "ncStock--" can do...  ;D

Two drums and a cymbal fall off a cliff:

Ba-bum, tss!
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1927 on: April 08, 2013, 05:33:23 AM »
The NC Dinos have lost their first 5 games while the Nexon Heroes are 5-2?

Up 20% from it's low so time to take some profits while there's still a South Korea?

Someone leaked that they saw and didn't like the 1Q numbers?  We'll know in a month.

Only article I saw garbled this week (slam of Google Translate) was one on how hard it was to crack the NA/EU market with a Korean MMO.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #1928 on: April 08, 2013, 06:23:47 AM »
Only article I saw garbled this week (slam of Google Translate) was one on how hard it was to crack the NA/EU market with a Korean MMO.

And yet they still try.

Pst. Hint. Give us games that you know we will like. Or you know have a higher penetration rate. Its called smerts or some book word like that.
Woo! - Argent Girl

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1929 on: April 08, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »
Like, you know, that one game that did well here (Well by standards of non-WoW MMOs, that is) despite receiving practically zero advertising so almost no one was even aware of it.... now which game was that, I can't quite remember....

:P
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:46:48 AM by General Idiot »

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1930 on: April 08, 2013, 05:35:02 PM »
Like, you know, that one game that did well here (Well by standards of non-WoW MMOs, that is) despite receiving practically zero advertising so almost no one was even aware of it.... now which game was that, I can't quite remember....

:p

I'm curious, which MMO developed in Korea that's done well here?  Oh, you aren't talking about a game developed in Korea, just one that was supported and later bought outright.

Anyway what I can make out from that article is GW2 and Wildstar have great potential to do well in the west but they were developed there and could probably do well in Asia and that Tera is doing better than most Korean MMOs in the west.

drbjr

• Underling
« Reply #1931 on: April 08, 2013, 08:28:15 PM »
I discovered CoH on August 7, 2012. I wish I'd known about it sooner. While there are elements of fantasy and sci-fi that I love, I'm not really that interested in playing games based strictly on them. However, having been a boy growing up in the '70s and ingesting all the Bronze Age superhero comic goodness I could get my hands on, I instantly fell in love with CoH. I tried to invest my characters with as much of that vibe as I could. I played the ftp, and was considering a subscription when the bad news hit. Had an absolute blast playing on the beta server while awaiting shut down.

What I loved was the lower graphics (I could play on my old pc w/out too much of a problem), the game play (perfect for an older fella who isn't a gamer), and the community. While I was a solo player, everyone I seemed to meet in game was friendly and helpful, and there was a sense of togetherness in the CoH universe.

I've been lurking on the Save Paragon forum since I heard the news. Don't post much (hardly at all), but am looking forward to some sort of resolution to the problem (whether emulator, sale of ip, spiritual successor, whatever). I don't have the history that most of you have with this game, but I fell in love with it rather quickly and really love to see it make a comeback!

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1932 on: April 08, 2013, 09:58:57 PM »
null
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:57:14 AM by Illusionss »

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1933 on: April 08, 2013, 10:03:32 PM »
p.s. welcome to Titan, drbjr.

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #1934 on: April 09, 2013, 04:58:25 AM »
NC S*^$T should open an amusement park.  They can use their stock chart for the rollercoaster. That would be one heck of a ride! ;D
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #1935 on: April 09, 2013, 12:38:35 PM »
Naw they would have to Advertize the Park and we all know they hate that.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1936 on: April 09, 2013, 12:50:38 PM »
I wouldn't ride that coaster. They'd probably make people pedal their butts off to get to the top of the track, then put coins in the slot to come back down again. :P

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1937 on: April 09, 2013, 01:22:58 PM »
put coins in the slot to come back down again. :P

Holy crap that may be a good idea. People have to come down. How much will people be willing to pay to come down? Express service extra. How come I didnt think of that :p

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1938 on: April 09, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »
NC S*^$T should open an amusement park.  They can use their stock chart for the rollercoaster. That would be one heck of a ride! ;D

*snort of amusement*

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #1939 on: April 13, 2013, 08:07:38 AM »
the stock seems suprisingly stable despite the upswing in coh media, although my guess is its more reflecting on what happened to coh than bashing ncsoft and/or pointing out one of the many flaws about them