Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 722926 times)

Chrome

• Underling
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #1820 on: March 14, 2013, 01:05:18 AM »
This got a chuckle out of me

Whyaylooh

• Underling
More Layoffs
« Reply #1821 on: March 28, 2013, 11:58:03 PM »
Looks like there were more layoffs in the Seattle office today, including a CoH alum (Beastyle).

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/28/ncsoft-west-confirms-layoffs/

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
Re: More Layoffs
« Reply #1822 on: March 29, 2013, 12:23:28 AM »
Looks like there were more layoffs in the Seattle office today, including a CoH alum (Beastyle).

Darn it, i liked Beastyle.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #1823 on: March 29, 2013, 12:55:19 AM »
Poor Beastyle. :/ Hope he finds a new job soon!

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #1824 on: March 29, 2013, 03:12:42 AM »
I like to think that Beasty, after seeing what happened to Paragon, no longer assumed his job was safe, and has a contingency plan. Best of luck to him and all the others who've lost their jobs.

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #1825 on: March 29, 2013, 04:08:49 AM »

Anyone notice the "realignment of company focus" mantra in this one? :roll:
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #1826 on: March 29, 2013, 06:20:16 AM »

"In an effort to put a greater focus on the success of the Western-developed games from NCSOFT..."

*taps fingers*

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #1827 on: March 29, 2013, 10:42:17 AM »
Someone call Roget's.  There's a new synonym for focuslayoff.

Kriiden

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1828 on: March 29, 2013, 11:10:14 AM »

Met Beastyle at the Focus Group and other events. Really Nice guy. Hope he lands on his feet!

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1829 on: March 29, 2013, 12:38:55 PM »
"In an effort to focus our energies on Western-developed games, we will continue to let go everyone employed by us in the Western Hemisphere." GENIUS!!!

These people do not like the West, or anyone in it. I am fine with them retrenching toward the Far Eastern market and "realigning their focus" there: they obviously don't want to be here. So I say, go. And don't come back.

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1830 on: March 29, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »
"In an effort to put a greater focus on the success of the Western-developed games from NCSOFT..."

*taps fingers*

Translation: Don't get too invested in Aion, Lineage 2, or a Blade & Soul import.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1831 on: March 29, 2013, 04:04:51 PM »
Translation: Don't get too invested in Aion, Lineage 2, or a Blade & Soul import.

If I ever go back to Aion, it will be to act as a complete freeloader, buying nothing from the in-game store, playing just to take up space on the servers. But even unbending toward NCSoft that much is going to take a lot more time for the feelings of betrayal to fade.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1832 on: March 29, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »
If I ever go back to Aion, it will be to act as a complete freeloader, buying nothing from the in-game store, playing just to take up space on the servers. But even unbending toward NCSoft that much is going to take a lot more time for the feelings of betrayal to fade.
That still helps NCsoft.  You become someone that paying players will play with, enticing them to stay and further line NCsoft's wallet.  Even if you solo, your presence still contributes positively to the game at least in terms of appearance, if not in actually value that you contribute to the gameworld (generating currency/equipment/etc.)
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #1833 on: March 29, 2013, 06:44:54 PM »

That phrase they keep using.  I do not think it means what they think it means.

Quinch

« Reply #1834 on: March 29, 2013, 07:01:36 PM »
No, I'm pretty sure that's accurate. You need to move the magnifier around if you want to keep burning those ants.

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #1835 on: March 29, 2013, 10:42:10 PM »
That still helps NCsoft.  You become someone that paying players will play with, enticing them to stay and further line NCsoft's wallet.  Even if you solo, your presence still contributes positively to the game at least in terms of appearance, if not in actually value that you contribute to the gameworld (generating currency/equipment/etc.)

Unless he decides to become a griefer to turn people off the game.
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #1836 on: March 29, 2013, 10:55:22 PM »
I was wondering with the initial shutdown if an overall lack of confidence in the U.S. economy in general was more to blame, rather than a lack of general interest in the U.S.

In other words, what's the point in running games here if another Great Depression happens and nobody can afford them?

Bu then Wildstar stayed on course, and there was little sign of shutting down Aion.

But now, I have to wonder what is going through the minds of NCsoft and any other Korean gaming company, now that NK and America have managed to get themselves in a cold war that could hit the boiling point at any moment. Presuming NK is anywhere near the point of long range missiles, the first thing they'd try to light up aside from Hawaii, would be the major cities along the west coast. NCwest is sitting in the middle of a primary target zone.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #1837 on: March 30, 2013, 12:04:24 AM »
As someone who has peripheral experience with the practical side of this and has a couple of other insights into the region, I am not worried about North Korea launching a nuclear missile at anyone. They can detonate a nuclear weapon, and they can launch a rocket, occasionally. They don't have the technology to mount a nuclear warhead, and China doesn't trust them enough to sell them the tech. They're too unstable.

Now, they are unstable enough to sell nuclear weapons to anyone willing to buy them...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1838 on: March 30, 2013, 01:30:14 AM »
I think its more a matter that Aion and Lineage 2 never really caught on over here and are now in a visible decline. Meanwhilem Guild Wars 2 has become a license to print money. I think that had to have made an impression on the upper echelons. I wouldn't be surprised if all that NCSoft has left here by this point next year is GW, GW2, and Wildstar.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:35:53 AM by UruzSix »

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1839 on: March 30, 2013, 02:11:45 AM »
I'm not sure about license to print money. Initial sales were good, yes, but there's no sub fees coming in since then and anyone who wanted the game probably already has it by now, so they're relying on people spending money in the cash shop and personally, I never saw anything in there I actually wanted enough to spend real dollars on it.