Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 723014 times)

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #1500 on: January 29, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »
I'm not sure if UruzSix's graph was his own or lifted from somewhere else but it simply didn't include CoH or the original Guild Wars series, I assume because they weren't broken out in the last quarter.  They simply decided only to list the top X number of games based on sales and if you aren't one of those you get shoved into "Other".  This included games like Exteel, Dungeon Runners, Auto Assault, small games that are only available in Asia and games they decided to no longer list separately, like Tabula Rasa in it's closing quarters.

Mea culpa, I yoinked it from MMO Fallout's post on NCSoft's third quarter report. CoH and GW weren't listed independently in the report, so they didn't make the chart.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1501 on: January 29, 2013, 06:13:36 PM »
Down 4000 in two days. I hope FatherXmas is wrong, and this isn't profit-taking.

They haven't reversed their massive loss in Novenber, and appear to be sinking very, very slowly. Does anyone know if they have some other cool game in the pipe to buoy them?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1502 on: January 29, 2013, 06:22:17 PM »
As for Guild Wars, I thought it would be above the 25000 line more regularly and occasionally challenging Lineage. Hell, I thought it would have been more consistent rather then jumping up and down as it did before settling only slightly above and then dropping under CoH. They have just sunk masses into it's sequel, after all, so I did think it had been more of a run away success then CoH was.
Guild Wars didn't have a subscription, so there was nothing to sustain them other than their extremely-meager cash shop and late-buyers between expansions. The bumps basically coincide with new boxes. Nothing surprising in there. Guild Wars sold more than six million copies of the game (plus an unverifiable amount of cash shop sales). Six million boxes times twenty to sixty per box (depending on the box). That is more money than City brought in over its whole life. And GW still has boxes out there and their cash shop is still present.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1503 on: January 29, 2013, 07:45:16 PM »
Guild Wars didn't have a subscription, so there was nothing to sustain them other than their extremely-meager cash shop and late-buyers between expansions. The bumps basically coincide with new boxes. Nothing surprising in there. Guild Wars sold more than six million copies of the game (plus an unverifiable amount of cash shop sales). Six million boxes times twenty to sixty per box (depending on the box). That is more money than City brought in over its whole life. And GW still has boxes out there and their cash shop is still present.

I know Guild Wars didn't have a subscription... where did all these numbers come from again?

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #1504 on: January 29, 2013, 09:03:56 PM »
Ah, didn't realize they only acquired Ntreev in 2011. When I noticed it on the wikipedia article with such a similar name, I thought they'd held it for a lot longer. So yes, it makes more sense now, even if it does enforce the Korean gamer stereotype (anything with anime girls in and they're all over it)

As for Guild Wars, I thought it would be above the 25000 line more regularly and occasionally challenging Lineage. Hell, I thought it would have been more consistent rather then jumping up and down as it did before settling only slightly above and then dropping under CoH. They have just sunk masses into it's sequel, after all, so I did think it had been more of a run away success then CoH was.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing if Guild Wars didn't have 3 expansions in fairly quick succession (2 in 2006 and a third in 2007 and a forth in 2010), then it would have dropped under CoH and likely stayed there. Except for City of Villians release, CoH has remained surprisingly consistent. Hell, it shows how much NCsoft  is focused on the short term (something it shares with all major publishers these days) as they put a huge amount into Guild Wars 2 after it's successor boasted at least over a million accounts at one stage (that was in 2006, haven't been able to find any real numbers yet) yet never significantly outperformed CoH for long, an under advertised niche game with a subscription model and fewer players.

That's just my observations of it and they may be wrong. Time will tell if GW2 follows a similar pattern, but being a pay then free game, it's probably to be expected.

Well that is GW's income model.  Sell the game and expansions, like any standard non MMO video game and add an item shop.  They also came out with combo box sets (game + one or more expansions) once the sales of each expansion died down.  This kept at least a version of the game on store shelves for much longer than CoH did plus the non-subscription nature of it, long before the move to hybrid/F2P, eliminated a barrier that may have stopped some people from purchasing it on a whim to try it out.

Nexon claims for a F2P game to be successful, they are looking at only 10% of the players to use the cash shop at least once a month.

I know Guild Wars didn't have a subscription... where did all these numbers come from again?

NCsoft's quarterly reports.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1505 on: January 29, 2013, 09:22:15 PM »
Down 4000 in two days. I hope FatherXmas is wrong, and this isn't profit-taking.

They haven't reversed their massive loss in Novenber, and appear to be sinking very, very slowly. Does anyone know if they have some other cool game in the pipe to buoy them?

Yes, that's why November's drop, moving the support level from around 200 to 140 is generally called a correction.  The 3Q numbers weren't as pretty as predicted/promised/"fool me once shame on you, fool me a dozen times shame on me" and those waiting for the stock to move upward after the drop in September bailed, until the price hit around 140.

So the big question is will the 4Q and annual numbers in a week be expected, significantly higher or lower?  If they break 200,000 million won in sales for the quarter I think the stock's support level will go up since it makes the analysts (who have been collectively lowering their 2013 numbers over the last few weeks) will look like they know what they are talking about (remember all but 2 of 39 are rating NCsoft as a Buy or Outperform the market).

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1506 on: January 29, 2013, 09:35:22 PM »

$20-60 was the retail price, NCsoft only got whatever they sold the box to the reseller for (no more than about $20 even for the initial release in relatively small quantities for a no-clout retailer). I believe the lifetime revenues for CoH and GW were actually fairly similar through CoH's closure.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1507 on: January 29, 2013, 10:11:42 PM »
$20-60 was the retail price, NCsoft only got whatever they sold the box to the reseller for (no more than about $20 even for the initial release in relatively small quantities for a no-clout retailer). I believe the lifetime revenues for CoH and GW were actually fairly similar through CoH's closure.

Yes and no.  GW still made lifetime around $15 million USD more than CoH but in a year's less time ($198 million Vs $183 million).  However a lot of that money came over a much shorter length of time.  It took GW only 3 years to reach $150 million in sales.  It took CoH almost twice as long to reach that mark (12 versus 23 quarters).

kierthos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1508 on: January 31, 2013, 03:36:54 AM »
Ladies and Gents, NCSoft stock is at a new 52-week low (or it was a few minutes ago). They are currently down 6000 from the previous day's trading start.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #1509 on: January 31, 2013, 04:19:58 AM »
Ladies and Gents, NCSoft stock is at a new 52-week low (or it was a few minutes ago). They are currently down 6000 from the previous day's trading start.

how much longer you think before they will be under 130k won? lol

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1510 on: January 31, 2013, 04:27:27 AM »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #1511 on: January 31, 2013, 04:38:58 AM »
how much longer you think before they will be under 130k won? lol

Considering there hasn't been much good business news for them and the upcoming Q1 report, I'd bet all my inf on a steep plunge in February. I think they might scrape the 130k mark then yo-yo between 130-145 for the next quarter (unless they pull a miracle out of their butts).
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1512 on: January 31, 2013, 04:56:57 AM »
Hmm.  I wonder if the report is leaking early?  Several of the analysts reduced their 2013 earning and sales estimates yet again.  However they are sticking with their Buy/Outperform call.

I'm betting that GW2 didn't come near some of the insane numbers that some of the analysts predicted while the "power 4" remain relatively flat.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1513 on: January 31, 2013, 05:02:00 AM »
Why does their stock graph remind me of my grades both times I had to take Calculus, in high school and in college?

(Hint: I'm an English major twice over, B.A. and M.A., and I teach English for a living.)

:)

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1514 on: January 31, 2013, 05:28:15 AM »
Why does their stock graph remind me of my grades both times I had to take Calculus, in high school and in college?

(Hint: I'm an English major twice over, B.A. and M.A., and I teach English for a living.)

Based on this I can only assume your students get passing grades all the time.  Because, you know, inability to mark 'em down?  I tease.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1515 on: January 31, 2013, 05:32:30 AM »

They get the grades they deserve!

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1516 on: January 31, 2013, 05:40:21 AM »
This class gets the grades they deserve, not the grades they need?
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #1517 on: January 31, 2013, 06:48:48 AM »
as I just noted in another thread, it seems NCSoft has a touch of Internetcancer. people form all walks of the internet and business are reeling from them lest they too possibly get contaminated with this form of cancer.

may it consume them well!

we can always pickthrough thier remains and slavage what we need at a government auditor's auction.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:16:32 AM by eabrace »
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1518 on: January 31, 2013, 08:46:30 AM »
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:26:20 PM by TonyV »

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1519 on: January 31, 2013, 04:08:36 PM »
I appreciate you're ensuring we don't get our hopes up prematurely, FatherXmas. It's wise. There appears to be heavy trading. Interesting.

I'm not buying my party supplies just yet. But looking at the long-range graph, they have never been able to regain their peak share price of late 2011. Unless they have some ace up their sleeve, their current trajectory leads to buyout by mid-2014.

If NCSoft goes belly-up, how much would we need to ensure we can buy CoH at the liquidation auction? We'd need to rent or buy a server too....

"It seems NCSoft has a touch of Internetcancer."

Hmm... should I get back to making meme images?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:39:56 PM by Colette »