Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 723068 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #1460 on: January 25, 2013, 05:02:59 AM »
Yeah I heard what this 80 million price tag was supposed to entail.

But sounds like there is really no known source of this information is what I'm getting from your statement? It's all just all floating rumor?

I was NEVER able to find a reliable source for that number.  Brian's number was the much-more-reasonable one that was 1/8 of that price.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1461 on: January 25, 2013, 05:16:46 AM »
I was NEVER able to find a reliable source for that number.

Same here.

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #1462 on: January 25, 2013, 06:23:26 AM »
Where did it come from, then?

I'm disappointed in myself for reporting on it if it wasn't as reliable a number as I had thought.

I suppose everyone makes such failures of confirmation of evidence on occasion.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1464 on: January 25, 2013, 07:05:47 AM »
Where did it come from, then?

I'm disappointed in myself for reporting on it if it wasn't as reliable a number as I had thought.

I suppose everyone makes such failures of confirmation of evidence on occasion.

Hey we are all only human.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #1465 on: January 25, 2013, 08:02:24 AM »
I was NEVER able to find a reliable source for that number.  Brian's number was the much-more-reasonable one that was 1/8 of that price.

But you were the one who first mentioned it.

Well now, you have to remember that what is LEGAL and what is INTERESTING are two different things.  For instance, apparently it is not fraudulent for NCSoft to value all their IPs together at about $3m for tax purposes, yet tell their stockholders that CoH itself is worth $80m.  It's not fraudulent...but it's not ethical, and I bet their stockholders don't know that little tidbit of information.  And that is the sort of thing they would find very difficult to explain to a CNN business reporter.

And later.

Let me say I very recently got the $80 million figure from a third-party source I consider trustworthy, along with some other information that would probably send blood pressures soaring, but I need to get confirmation of that figure from the parties directly involved.

I assume you meant you couldn't get another independent source to confirm it.  So your trustworthy source was giving you a number that when shared would naturally outrage us all and thus be perpetuated throughout the MMO media as we spread the story?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1466 on: January 25, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »
Brian's number was the much-more-reasonable one that was 1/8 of that price.

Excellent if this is true I can put my complicated yet brilliant plan into motion!

Now for step 1:  Win Mega Millions and buy CoH from NCSoft with literally Wheelbarrows full of won, I would use American currency but you can fill more Wheelbarrows with won

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #1467 on: January 25, 2013, 10:35:14 AM »
But you were the one who first mentioned it.

And later.

I assume you meant you couldn't get another independent source to confirm it.  So your trustworthy source was giving you a number that when shared would naturally outrage us all and thus be perpetuated throughout the MMO media as we spread the story?

You have made a fundamental error in conflating two very different numbers.  You are mistaking the number pulled from the stockholder's report on the value of the CoH IP for a number that NCSoft was ASKING for the CoH IP.  The 80 million figure is right there in the stockholder's report for anyone to see, including you.  I was never able to confirm that NCSoft ever ASKED 80 million.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1468 on: January 25, 2013, 10:49:38 AM »
You have made a fundamental error in conflating two very different numbers.  You are mistaking the number pulled from the stockholder's report on the value of the CoH IP for a number that NCSoft was ASKING for the CoH IP.  The 80 million figure is right there in the stockholder's report for anyone to see, including you.  I was never able to confirm that NCSoft ever ASKED 80 million.

Link please because I believe I have all of their stockholder reports and I don't remember seeing either the $3 million or $80 million number.

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1469 on: January 25, 2013, 12:47:14 PM »

... Popcorn, anyone?

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #1470 on: January 25, 2013, 03:31:06 PM »
...Okay, well It looks like NCSoft's bump was just that. Their stocks could still rise, but it looks like this was a normal fluctuation in what looks like a brief plateau. Would you call a flat spot after a drop a plateau? A valley? A meadow?
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.

Quinch

« Reply #1471 on: January 25, 2013, 05:13:51 PM »
Usually a valley, I think.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1472 on: January 25, 2013, 06:05:09 PM »
...Okay, well It looks like NCSoft's bump was just that. Their stocks could still rise, but it looks like this was a normal fluctuation in what looks like a brief plateau. Would you call a flat spot after a drop a plateau? A valley? A meadow?
Yes, because being up 6% for the week is a plateau and dropping 0.33% from the closing high for the week is a downturn.

Anyways the big date to remember is Feburary 5th is when the 4Q and annual numbers come out.  The next big move is then.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1473 on: January 26, 2013, 05:29:20 AM »
I'll keep hoping it'll be a move downward then. Because I'm not bitter about CoH, not at all.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #1474 on: January 26, 2013, 05:45:35 AM »
It keeps bouncing like someone who's been hung with a bungee cord...

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1475 on: January 26, 2013, 06:04:34 AM »
sounds like average stock.

Like one of those heart monitor things.

Quinch

« Reply #1476 on: January 26, 2013, 07:03:41 AM »

Maybe it needs to be tied around the neck instead.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1477 on: January 26, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »

Lol, that is a seriously morbid joke.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1478 on: January 28, 2013, 12:06:08 AM »
"Anyway, the big date to remember is February 5th, when the fourth quarter and annual numbers come out.  The next big move is then."

I'll take some of that popcorn, Uruzsix.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:39:22 AM by Colette »

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1479 on: January 28, 2013, 05:36:12 AM »
I'll take some of that popcorn, Uruzsix.

Let's see, they had two million boxes of GW2 sold within a week or two of launch, didn't get their third million until the holidays...