Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 714487 times)

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #2260 on: August 24, 2014, 09:52:58 AM »
Actually, if the efforts by Ironwolf's friends/contacts eventually come out in our favor, I have no further quarrel with NCSoft.

No intention of ever trying out any of their other games (once burned, twice shy, and I can't trust that they'll be there tomorrow), but I will wish them no further ill if we get our city back.

I said I would, so I will. I'm a BIG believer in financially rewarding companies that do something to my liking by spending money with them when I have some to spend. I frequently hear Wildstar described as "if Borderlands was a MMO" and since I like Borderlands, that's an appealing prospect. That plus my sister's been trying to force a GW2 key on me for a bit now, and I've only dodged it thus far because it turned out I didn't have enough room.

Now how I'll find time for either once COH is back...well, that's a problem I'll be happy to have.

Beltor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2261 on: August 25, 2014, 02:49:22 AM »
I was a beta tester for Wildstar. It's like Borderlands crossed with Ratchet and Clank with bits of every other MMO thrown in, the good bits. Some say the graphics are bad but they're actually quite good. It just has an art style that's different from other MMO's. The cinemas on their website were made with game graphics and are a good example of the games overall feel. A turn off at first but damn fun after played for a small bit with plenty to see and do, and great replay with a different character. For me it's the only NC title i'd consider playing now. But COH is still my #1 choice. If NCsoft does right on the COH deal and gives Wildstar proper treatment, I may buy Wildstar and bounce between Wildstar and COH every few months.

Randomvector

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2262 on: October 04, 2014, 08:39:13 PM »
NCsoft Stock is down to its lowest in years. Even lower than after the close. Is wildstar tanking that badly?

microc

• Boss

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2264 on: October 04, 2014, 09:53:56 PM »
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/10/03/ask-massively-dancing-on-wildstars-grave/

I had a feeling it would do badly when it went to the holy trinity.  I immedietly thought "ok so this is going to be a generic mmorpgs".  I also watched some of the live feeds and I was left thinking "so, your doing the same thing but added only one thing to keep players moving?  Your not really doing anything innovative here."  Secret world already made players move regularly, :/.  Thing was they listened to the players who asked for the exact same thing everyone else already did, it was a sore case of just listening to the wrong people or even asking the wrong people.

Thats the conclusion I can draw from talking to people who'd participated in the testing during a heated debate on facebook and also having watched the live feeds they had pre-launch.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2265 on: October 04, 2014, 10:20:53 PM »
Thinking on it, I feel that, the real problem mmorpg developers and publishers have, besides doing the same thing over and over, is the article is right in targetting the developers attitude.  It is totally hubris.  They believe they are superior and invincible guys who because they know the code and numbers that the game is amazing due to the numbers.  They'd spent the time they had playing WoW developing that mindset in approaching the development of the game, that numbers is what people want to see.  The reality is they want gameplay.  They want it to play well and they want it to be balanced in terms of time vs reward and whatnot.  People want a game to feel that way within a reasonable time frame to and they want the game to draw them in.

The other real killer of mmorpgs in a way, is probably actually games like Skyrim and fallout new vegas.  Skyrim seriously draws you in.  Right off the bat some assholes are about to cut your head off but then a dragon shows up and ruins those assholes days, and also continues ruining yours after.  Your fleeing for your life as a dragon just raises havoc everywhere and suddenly one of those same guys who was just following orders tries helping you, all the while someone else who was a fellow prisoner also helps out and your torn right away between a guy just following orders and a rebel.

In new vegas?  Your shot in the head and find yourself waking up at a doctors bed while trying to get a chip back.  Why are you trying to get it back?  Revenge is certainly one valid reason, a guy tried to kill you and nearly succeeded.  But then other groups come in to try and sway you to their goals on your way and as you recover it.  What do you do with it?  And the same time you see guys dressed like romans attacking everything in sight, soldiers who seem to be good intended but under equipped and plagued with so many problems and showing signs of ineptitude and incompetence(the NCR prison facility breakout, inability to deal with the roman wannabes) and general tendency to use force first alongside miscomunication problems leaves you wondering whos really the good guys.

You don't see things develop in mmorpgs all that often, they don't really draw you in very well.  I never felt drawn in in guild wars, for sure.  I tried secret world, and still didn't really feel it.  Nore did I notice it in CO much(and felt they were trying to treat me like a mary sue, :S).  The article certainly speaks of not wanting mmorpgs to dry up.  I really hope the deal makes it for CoX actually cause really I'm now thinking that, mmorpgs need to get the "rpg" back in mmorpg.

Edit: Cause otherwise, well, mmorpg developers will continue thinking numbers rather then substance is the be-all-end-all.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 10:35:33 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Surelle

« Reply #2266 on: October 05, 2014, 10:22:37 PM »
NCsoft Stock is down to its lowest in years. Even lower than after the close. Is wildstar tanking that badly?

Yes.  The game underwent server mergers right off the bat, the higher-ups at Carbine have mostly all left or are leaving, and additional content and even holiday content has all been cancelled.  Between Wildstar's performance and NCSoft's horrible reputation in NA and EU as "Keeeeeel youuuuuu naowwwwwww!" knee-jerk game killers, I'm surprised their stocks aren't even lower.  I mean, how many old-school gamers would have loved Wildstar's raid-centric, harcore attitude, but wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole because it's published by the NCSoft?  The old-school crowd are the ones that have been through Tabula Rasa's closing, CoX's closing, or may have played the other games they've shut down (not to mention have probably tried Aion and Lineage 2, which are so overrun by gold farmers, botters and lag they're practically unplayable and have been since their betas).

This is the main reason I think NCSoft hasn't just slammed the door in Team Hail Mary's face-- they could desperately use some positive press, and it would go at least a ways toward restoring some good faith with MMO gamers in general.  After all, even if someone hadn't played NCSoft's other MMOs and wanted to play Wildstar, what would happen when their guildies or family and friends who had been victimized by NC in the past resoundingly said "No way?"  Of course, that one person would probably move to whatever MMO all those other people they wanted to play with were playing instead.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2267 on: October 06, 2014, 05:04:03 PM »
Yes.  The game underwent server mergers right off the bat, the higher-ups at Carbine have mostly all left or are leaving, and additional content and even holiday content has all been cancelled.  Between Wildstar's performance and NCSoft's horrible reputation in NA and EU as "Keeeeeel youuuuuu naowwwwwww!" knee-jerk game killers, I'm surprised their stocks aren't even lower.  I mean, how many old-school gamers would have loved Wildstar's raid-centric, harcore attitude, but wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole because it's published by the NCSoft?  The old-school crowd are the ones that have been through Tabula Rasa's closing, CoX's closing, or may have played the other games they've shut down (not to mention have probably tried Aion and Lineage 2, which are so overrun by gold farmers, botters and lag they're practically unplayable and have been since their betas).

Wildstar wasn't really focused on Endgame though, that was their problem.  They promised massive amounts of content, and a team that would only work on endgame content.  Then released a game that only had 3 dungeons 1-50.  A handful of annoying skirmishes that felt like a disorganized mess.  And 1 25 man raid.  Then they release a patch 1 month into, and it has nothing worth while in it,  then another patch.  Again nothing worth while in it.  They released a swimming pool after promising an ocean.  Which is a shame I really, really enjoyed my time in Wildstar.  And I think it had the potential to be a great game but it had the smallest amount of content I have ever seen in an MMO.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2268 on: October 07, 2014, 03:40:31 AM »
Wildstar wasn't really focused on Endgame though, that was their problem.  They promised massive amounts of content, and a team that would only work on endgame content.  Then released a game that only had 3 dungeons 1-50.  A handful of annoying skirmishes that felt like a disorganized mess.  And 1 25 man raid.  Then they release a patch 1 month into, and it has nothing worth while in it,  then another patch.  Again nothing worth while in it.  They released a swimming pool after promising an ocean.  Which is a shame I really, really enjoyed my time in Wildstar.  And I think it had the potential to be a great game but it had the smallest amount of content I have ever seen in an MMO.

Geesh, almost as bad as CO, change that even CO got more stuff in it's first year.  At least, from the way your describing it.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #2269 on: October 09, 2014, 04:15:38 AM »

The President of Carbine is NOT stepping down due to anything game related... let's make that perfectly clear. He has had A LOT of personal issues including a lot of family members dying in the past year as well as being diagnosed and treated for cancer himself. He truly is stepping down to focus on life...instead of work. If you were a cancer survivor...or know one... you would know that when someone goes through such a traumatic experience...and survives...they tend to re-evaluate what they are doing with their lives....

They canceled the holiday content because... they are focusing on the current game and a pretty fair amount of bugs. Trust me there are times I wish Cryptic/Paragon had done the same thing. There were bugs in CoH that had been known issues for years, but went ignored in lieu of new content.

FYI I am not a WildStar player or fanboi, but I wanted to clarify a few things you stated. I have never played WildStar... I was going to but friends told me how buggy it was...and I decided not to waste my money. Maybe if they do some significant fixes to these bugs... I MIGHT try it out. I am not really an MMO person... the only MMO I ever liked was CoH.

This is the main reason I think NCSoft hasn't just slammed the door in Team Hail Mary's face-- they could desperately use some positive press, and it would go at least a ways toward restoring some good faith with MMO gamers in general.  After all, even if someone hadn't played NCSoft's other MMOs and wanted to play Wildstar, what would happen when their guildies or family and friends who had been victimized by NC in the past resoundingly said "No way?"  Of course, that one person would probably move to whatever MMO all those other people they wanted to play with were playing instead.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2270 on: October 09, 2014, 05:28:29 PM »
The President of Carbine is NOT stepping down due to anything game related... let's make that perfectly clear. He has had A LOT of personal issues including a lot of family members dying in the past year as well as being diagnosed and treated for cancer himself. He truly is stepping down to focus on life...instead of work. If you were a cancer survivor...or know one... you would know that when someone goes through such a traumatic experience...and survives...they tend to re-evaluate what they are doing with their lives....

They canceled the holiday content because... they are focusing on the current game and a pretty fair amount of bugs. Trust me there are times I wish Cryptic/Paragon had done the same thing. There were bugs in CoH that had been known issues for years, but went ignored in lieu of new content.

FYI I am not a WildStar player or fanboi, but I wanted to clarify a few things you stated. I have never played WildStar... I was going to but friends told me how buggy it was...and I decided not to waste my money. Maybe if they do some significant fixes to these bugs... I MIGHT try it out. I am not really an MMO person... the only MMO I ever liked was CoH.

I'll only say CO's dev team(originally cryptic, to) had done that and ultimately made the mistake of just introducing more bugs and further imbalancing the game.  The sore lack of new content has ultimately doomed CO.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #2271 on: October 10, 2014, 04:24:11 AM »

Unless you're talking major game breaking bugs, New Content is always going to be a priority for the simple reason that it's what draws in and keeps players. There's also the problem that a lot of the bugs the devs could never figure out what was causing them. The code base was simply too much of a mess, and a lot of it was undocumented.

When you're talking new content keep in mind as well that bug fixing is a programmer issue, so that does leave your art department, SFX, writers, and everyone who's not hunting bugs to work on new content.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #2272 on: October 10, 2014, 08:06:19 AM »
The stock is getting low enough I'm actually considering picking up a few shares as soon as financially feasible.   Even if it goes up by 5% by this time next year, that'd still be a reasonable profit.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2273 on: October 10, 2014, 02:20:08 PM »
Buy all the stocks!  Corporate takeover!

... how much are they right now?
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #2274 on: October 10, 2014, 11:14:15 PM »

**Auction house not recognizing certain items...so no one can buy them.
**Not receiving reward at end of raids.
**Crafting quests will not complete at certain levels so you cannot craft high tier items
**Mail causing FPS problems... yep in game email.
**Sound loops causing hard crashes
**Many land/ground items cannot actually be placed on the ground.
**Multiple mission complete objectives do not finish the mission (Some cannot be completed because you can't even click the object needed to complete the mission)...when they do... no mission complete bonus given.
**Major lag issues
**Not gaining any reputation to earn achievement towards crafting items.

Just to name a few. And THIS is why I refused to play even though I have friends who do play. WAY too buggy. These would be akin to:

**Purples not being available on WentWorths because no one can craft them or trade them
**Itrials/TFs not giving end bonuses (Could you imagine completing a Keyes and not getting a badge or incarnate component...grr!)
**Not being able to modify your base because floor items won't go on the floor
**Badge progression not working at all
**Major lag whenever you have any in game email
**Frequent hard crashes (PC reboots) due to sound loops in certain TFs.
**Not getting mission complete XP after missions or TFs

So I consider these pretty game breaking and in need of attention right away instead of giving the players a Halloween and/or Christmas event. From the friends I do have who play WildStar...they are not upset about the events...they would rather the game...work.

Unless you're talking major game breaking bugs, New Content is always going to be a priority for the simple reason that it's what draws in and keeps players. There's also the problem that a lot of the bugs the devs could never figure out what was causing them. The code base was simply too much of a mess, and a lot of it was undocumented.

When you're talking new content keep in mind as well that bug fixing is a programmer issue, so that does leave your art department, SFX, writers, and everyone who's not hunting bugs to work on new content.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #2275 on: October 10, 2014, 11:15:43 PM »

Or the crappy graphics and game-play doomed CO. Also didn't help they did a HUGE nerf right off the bat after going live... angering MANY players who bought lifetime subs. 

I'll only say CO's dev team(originally cryptic, to) had done that and ultimately made the mistake of just introducing more bugs and further imbalancing the game.  The sore lack of new content has ultimately doomed CO.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #2276 on: October 10, 2014, 11:18:13 PM »
I just never got what was supposed to be so appealing about WildStar. :roll:
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #2277 on: October 12, 2014, 09:51:14 PM »
Buy all the stocks!  Corporate takeover!

... how much are they right now?

As I type this, from this website ( http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/overview?symbol=036570.KS ), the shares are worth 127,500 KRW, which is about $119 USD per share right now at current exchange levels.

There are 21.93 million shares outstanding.  That's $2,587,784,000 ($2.588 Billion) to buy out all shares.

In case that helps anyone. :)

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #2278 on: October 12, 2014, 11:10:34 PM »
You don't need to buy all the shares to have controlling interest in a company.  Usually 30-35% would be enough.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #2279 on: October 12, 2014, 11:53:56 PM »
I just never got what was supposed to be so appealing about WildStar. :roll:

WoW ... In spaaaaaaaaaace! With fluffy bunny girls.

And maybe some more recent tech to make it more action oriented.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!