Author Topic: Miller's Loregasm!  (Read 6891 times)

Teege

• Boss
Miller's Loregasm!
« on: September 18, 2012, 10:49:29 PM »
For those interested in some lore information from Miller, I caught this on Twitter. (feel free to move this as needed, but I want to get it out there as I know people were looking forward to it!)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19qbHHrRmifxGPz60-_ApLNiwOmF5QVEMrXHgB1Nrd4o/edit?pli=1
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

DrDarkspeed

• Underling
Re: Miller's Loregasm!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:16:23 PM »

Paindancer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:23:44 PM »
Hmmm....

This is  a little disheartening.  While it could be seen as 'the way thing were going to be under NCSoft and I am spilling the beans beacause under company X it can be different' .
@vengeance mk2

The iReport:  http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-838027
(read it, share it, recommend it)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 11:24:42 PM »
I think this might be one of the most pertinent answers:

Sounds like there was some serious drainage of CoH resources to the other project, Like what happened with Cryptic and the Marvel MMO. Maybe it was the other poject getting cut that made Paragon non-viable for NCSoft?

If I were to hazard a guess I would say it still boils down to NCSoft "refocusing" on Korea and the Far Eastern markets.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

billymailman

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 11:41:48 PM »
I think the losing the environment artists thing was a joke. AFAIK, they had lost several to the Super Secret Project, since one thing you need a lot of when making a new MMO is environment artists.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 11:50:14 PM »
Hugo Figures and Agent Gally.  Were they ever going to be successful in liberating the Bane Spider network? If not, what ultimately happens to them?

MM: What issue/storyline were they from?

...I have a Katana/Willpower Scrapper who goes by "Abel." He initially referred to Figures and Ido as "Adam" and "Eve." ("We had tasted the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, and for it we were cast out. But what we had left behind was not Eden, and we were not innocent.") It really was one of my favorite stories in the game, so I made a spinoff character from it. ^.^;
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 12:15:33 AM »
I do find it a little disheartening because of this wording:

If there is a miracle and somehow CoH is saved, we reserve the right to change any and all answers given in the doc, to maintain suspense and surprise.

But at least he said "we" reserve the right. That means there is still a chance Paragon Studios can get the game. I think.

The point is it's not over till it's over.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:35:48 AM »
*Spoiler*

What did Recluse look like under his mask?

MM: Jesse Ventura

Heh, I lol'd!
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 03:02:45 AM »
I do find it a little disheartening because of this wording:

But at least he said "we" reserve the right. That means there is still a chance Paragon Studios can get the game. I think.

The point is it's not over till it's over.

Heck, it ain't over THEN. Lookit Star Wars Galaxies, and there's other examples. This is a long haul sorta thing. Don't be discouraged by setbacks, they are gonna happen. That's how you tell you're where you need to be, you start taking damage. Heroes drag themselves back up or pop an rez and get back in the fight.

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 03:20:50 AM »
Heck, it ain't over THEN. Lookit Star Wars Galaxies, and there's other examples. This is a long haul sorta thing. Don't be discouraged by setbacks, they are gonna happen. That's how you tell you're where you need to be, you start taking damage. Heroes drag themselves back up or pop an rez and get back in the fight.

And if you've ever teamed with me you know I go through a lot of those.

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 03:22:01 AM »
*hits #7*
*Rise of the Phoenix*
I am blaster! I will hit debt ceiling more times than there are stars in the sky! No matter how many times I fall, I will always get back up, again, and again! Giant Monster, Arch-villain, or Hamidon it matters not! My team relies upon me!
*faceplant*

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 03:40:26 AM »
I actually really enjoyed reading the loregasm.  It's a little sad to know all the stuff we'll never see (or may never see), but it's still cool to know. 

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 05:49:29 AM »
And if you've ever teamed with me you know I go through a lot of those.

My cousin who would play with us a lot in a semi-static group died so often due to him being bad at the game that we called him the Krillen of our group. His main power set was folding up like a napkin.

My other friend at the time said "They should make a power that taunts all the enemies on the map at once", at which point I said "We already have it, it's called Tai", which was his character's name.

I'm going to miss this game if it goes.

*Spoiler*

What did Recluse look like under his mask?

MM: Jesse Ventura

Heh, I lol'd!

You know what? He might had been joking, but I could totally see it.

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 07:39:24 AM »
*hits #7*
*Rise of the Phoenix*
I am blaster! I will hit debt ceiling more times than there are stars in the sky! No matter how many times I fall, I will always get back up, again, and again! Giant Monster, Arch-villain, or Hamidon it matters not! My team relies upon me!
*faceplant*

+2 for truth!  I've started using the running joke I've been face down so often I can tell just where I am from the taste of the dirt.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 08:50:18 AM »
You know, my character Victoria Victrix is a writer, and both in her character bio and the sig line on the forums it says:

"Author of Good Taste: The Definitive Guide to the Turf, Carpet and Sand of Paragon City"
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 11:41:26 AM »
You know what? He might had been joking, but I could totally see it.

That was more-or-less my exact thought process, too.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 03:42:45 PM »
You know, my character Victoria Victrix is a writer, and both in her character bio and the sig line on the forums it says:

"Author of Good Taste: The Definitive Guide to the Turf, Carpet and Sand of Paragon City"

*picks up a copy on his way home from El Super Mexicano*

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 04:14:44 PM »

*must get autographed copy*

Matthew Orlock

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 04:47:13 PM »
The next Incarnate power sounded interesting. A Patch area for debuff to mobs Buffs to players? Sweet.

Olantern

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 05:44:01 PM »
Now that all the "what we were going to" has been made public, it makes me wonder what the Paragon producers are negotiating with NCSoft about.  It seems unlikely (though not impossible) that something like this would get released if the devs who wrote it believed they'd work on CoH in its current form again.

So, what possibilities does this open?  New devs, new publisher, new story, same game?  Paragon Studios reconstituted and working on some completely different project, trusting to the loyal base of CoH fans to get them through the tough early years of establishing their product?  Olantern overthinking the implications of this?  Something else?  No, I'm asking you.

That was a fun read, regardless.  I found the disagreements among devs about story elements the most interesting part, but there were a lot of entertaining revelations.