Author Topic: Time to change our Focus?  (Read 2141 times)

Riff

• Lieutenant
Time to change our Focus?
« on: September 16, 2012, 08:51:49 PM »
We're getting nowhere with NCSoft.

They surely know what's going on. There will have been liaison with the remains of Paragon Studios and they will be looking at the gaming news. They might be fine thinking that GW2 is doing very well - but there must be questions regarding their business decisions.

I'm not a corporate lawyer by any stretch of the imagination but I'm sensing a pattern. An announcement to cut the workforce by 200 and then Nexon taking a big chunk of shares that maybe not many people knew about (strange in itself?) Could we be seeing some nest feathering and a golden handshake?

Maybe we need to be saying to the other shareholders (the other 86%) "Hey... Are you REALLY going to sit there in silence while NCSoft chops off 2% of your revenue? Are you really ok with taking a 2% pay cut when it's not even necessary, and all the inherently bad publicity that's been generated as a result?"

NCSoft aren't talking and I'm betting that to change their mind would cause them to lose a lot of face - so unless we get get the shareholders up and doing, then we're toast.

Just throwing that out there as a possible thought/suggestion

Paindancer

• Lieutenant
Re: Time to change our Focus?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 09:02:40 PM »
We don't know we are getting nowhere, but frustration is understandable.

Dont confuse incompetency with hostility, either.

From what I can see, NCSoft, for some reason, made  a knee jerk reaction and had little plan for what to do with it when it became a big deal locally.  Now they are trying to find a way to clean it up, and still look like they can handle foreign markets in the eyes of their investors, all while operating in a legal framework.

Its a tough spot, and that is where we want them.

@vengeance mk2

The iReport:  http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-838027
(read it, share it, recommend it)

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 11:54:38 PM »
I tried to explain to them the huge sleeper hit that City Of Heroes could be in the American gamer market, using the emails TonyV put up Thursday.

The Batman: Arkham series, Marvel Ultimate Alliance series, and Marvel Vs. Capcom series are huge games in our Western countries, but there is no triple A super hero MMO title out there.

If someone could craft together this game, and make it as critically acclaimed as Batman: Arkham was, it'd be insanely productive.

I know we have an issue with NCSoft right now, but as their player base, as well as Paragon Studios, we should be helping them. Not with just giving up and letting them can City of Heroes, but re-assuring them that this title could be their biggest sellers.

I don't want to sound like a 'goody two shoes,' but this is my stance.
- Omega Mk. V

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 12:29:55 AM »
I tried to explain to them the huge sleeper hit that City Of Heroes could be in the American gamer market, using the emails TonyV put up Thursday.

The Batman: Arkham series, Marvel Ultimate Alliance series, and Marvel Vs. Capcom series are huge games in our Western countries, but there is no triple A super hero MMO title out there.

If someone could craft together this game, and make it as critically acclaimed as Batman: Arkham was, it'd be insanely productive.

I know we have an issue with NCSoft right now, but as their player base, as well as Paragon Studios, we should be helping them. Not with just giving up and letting them can City of Heroes, but re-assuring them that this title could be their biggest sellers.

I don't want to sound like a 'goody two shoes,' but this is my stance.

I agree. And while I wouldn't be thrilled being under their thumb still, I think NCSoft is more likely to be like "Oh, maybe we can make money on this" than "Here's a game with a loyal player base, why don't you take it off our hands."

A lot of people think they have to sell CoH or close it. Keeping it is entirely possible without losing face, they just have to pin it all on one guy and fire him or move him to a new office. Corporations do it all the time. And it works.

Basically, any world in which CoH continues is fine by me.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 12:47:32 AM »
So, i have a thought. What if we all pooled our money and bought shares and became the majority share holder. Don't we then get to make decisions? If so we can tell them save the game or lose money...I don't really know how that all works but thought i'd throw that out there and see what you guys think.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 01:25:54 AM »
So, i have a thought. What if we all pooled our money and bought shares and became the majority share holder. Don't we then get to make decisions? If so we can tell them save the game or lose money...I don't really know how that all works but thought i'd throw that out there and see what you guys think.

Nexon owns near-as-makes-no-difference 3.2 million shares.  Shares currently trade at roughly $230. They only trade on the KRX, though I have no idea if that's accessible from online trading sites like the creepy talking baby one.

Not to be negative, or anything...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 01:36:32 AM »
yeah, thats too much. no way we can get almost 3mil shares at over 250 each. oh well, it was a nice thought but not gonna happen. Have to come up with something else...

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 01:46:29 AM »
I'm with ya, but I think, with that kind of money, we'd be able to make a credible offer to buy the damn IP.   :D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 01:58:06 AM »
Yeah, i didn't think their stock was worth quite so much. I'd rather buy it too, the IP. Sheesh, they way they treat their gamers and they are worth that i have no clue. I can't believe their stock is more than blizzards. Blizzards is cheep.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 02:02:16 AM »
Maybe it's a smaller market, or maybe it's the Activision acquisition. Blizzard's may have split to bring the price down. Any number of macro-economic things I would know if I'd paid more attention in class...  :)