Author Topic: I has written an article- now where to submit?  (Read 3228 times)

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
I has written an article- now where to submit?
« on: September 14, 2012, 06:35:25 AM »
So, I don't usually do this whole.. article.. writing.. thing. my writing is usually more .. uh, *cough* lets not go there.

However, with as much as City of Heroes means to me, and many of my friends, I had to find a way to make my voice heard in a way that would have more power than another letter in the pile of far better written ones. My answer was to write an article (with some help from our wonderful resident celebrity), that focused on the fact that City of Heroes is more than just a game, and went a little further in to "We are heroes, this is what we do."

Unfortunately, I have no idea where to try and submit it.. I pinged Massively, but they unfortunately cannot accept unpaid 1-off work and aren't looking for contracts. Anyone know someplace that would be suited for such an article?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:34:57 AM by Zolgar »

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
Re: I has written an article- now where to submit?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 01:23:53 PM »
Slashdot and Reddit maybe? I have a Reddit account to upvote it, not a Slashdot account. If you post it on Reddit, put it in the gaming section.

CNN ireport is an option, but Paindancer's article is already vetted over there. Other news websites may have something similar, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else have some ideas?
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 02:05:34 PM »
The editorial section of your local paper, even?  It certainly has enough human interest in there for a daily paper, and it's the sort of thing that could get AP pickup.

As far as the other major cable outlets' websites, my feeling is that Fox would be a non-starter.  They were not friendly to the Occupy movement, and this is just similar enough that I see a knee-jerk comparison.  That said, I'm looking for a way to submit. :)

NBCNews.com is not readily surrendering a link to submit stories, but that may be a weakness in my research skills.  I will come back to them after browsing around Fox's site.  USAToday might be good to look at, as well.

Anyplace who does technology news, though I didn't see a submission link on CNet's site right away, either.

Informal call to action, maybe?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 05:58:31 AM »
Slashdot and Reddit maybe? I have a Reddit account to upvote it, not a Slashdot account. If you post it on Reddit, put it in the gaming section.

CNN ireport is an option, but Paindancer's article is already vetted over there. Other news websites may have something similar, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else have some ideas?

Reddit is .. a link repository, so I'd have to post it someplace else, first and then use Reddit to post the link.

zoser

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 06:11:05 AM »
I have no smart ideas to offer, just the observation that this is a wonderful article that I certainly could not have come up with - thank you for sharing! :)

Zos

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 07:58:26 AM »
Start by submitting to your local newspaper, your biggest regional paper and USAToday.

Then try Huffington Post.  Go big or go home.

Then try gaming blogs.  Massively, Nerdist, anything else you can think of.

Once you get SOMEONE to take it, post the link on Reddit.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 08:15:21 AM »
The nature of this, it kinda needs to be someplace that has already been covering the closure. Otherwise people will be all "huhwha?" and not have a clue what I'm talking about.. society is unfortunately too lazy to be "wow, this article is moving, what is he talking about." :(

I lean more towards shooting for gaming blogs in general anyways, article like this in a 'mass market' source will most likely be mostly ignored other than by City of Heroes fans linked to it.. Article like this on a gamer site, will catch the eye of even some of those opposed to keeping CoH running, and hopefully make it's way in to the viral market, reaching thousands of new people. Mass market doesn't like stories that make gamers in to the good guys, us gamers love it though. ;)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 08:49:14 AM »
The nature of this, it kinda needs to be someplace that has already been covering the closure. Otherwise people will be all "huhwha?" and not have a clue what I'm talking about.. society is unfortunately too lazy to be "wow, this article is moving, what is he talking about." :(

I lean more towards shooting for gaming blogs in general anyways, article like this in a 'mass market' source will most likely be mostly ignored other than by City of Heroes fans linked to it.. Article like this on a gamer site, will catch the eye of even some of those opposed to keeping CoH running, and hopefully make it's way in to the viral market, reaching thousands of new people. Mass market doesn't like stories that make gamers in to the good guys, us gamers love it though. ;)

I've seen Huffington Post cover gamers positively.  I'd say it's worth a shot there.  The worst they can do is reject it.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Ultraviolets

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 08:53:15 AM »
While the Escapist has a rather...varied community in terms of what to expect with replies, you can always try them: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/contact

On the positive side, they have already run an article on CoH's closing.

If anything, people can always give them tips on news here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/subject/news

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »
I've pinged The Escapist about it. We shall see!

Ultraviolets

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »
I've pinged The Escapist about it. We shall see!

Good luck! It's an excellent article, it'd be a shame for them to not pick it up!

Mold

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 02:07:46 PM »
You can try Destructoid as well.

tips@destructoid.com

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 02:30:53 PM »
I've seen Huffington Post cover gamers positively.  I'd say it's worth a shot there.  The worst they can do is reject it.

HuffPo might like the pro-consumer angle that could be teased out of the story, too. There's also The Consumerist, but...I'm pretty sure most of their more famous articles are trolls. (Staging a boycott because a restaurant got your order wrong, then gave you the correct order and your money back afterward? Seriously?)
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 11:58:12 PM »
io9
Scroll to the bottom of the page and use "Send a tip"
http://io9.com/

kotaku
Scroll to the bottom of the page and use "Send a tip"
http://kotaku.com/