Author Topic: ...This post has a life of its own. (Don't blame me.) O:)  (Read 3785 times)

Sunlover

• Underling
...This post has a life of its own. (Don't blame me.) O:)
« on: September 13, 2012, 05:16:52 AM »
[Hi, all. This was posted in a private thread on FB...then on my SG's main page on FB...then on the Save COH page on FB...and then someone suggested I post it here in COHTitan.  I'm somewhat of a hypocrite in that while I've had barely enough time and energy to keep up with FB postings and links to other "Save COH" articles, I haven't come on here since "Black Friday" -- largely because I wanted to read the majority of the threads FIRST, and then offer any insights or opinions I might have.  But apparently, some people think this novel is worthy enough to be presented before your collective eyes.  And yes...I'm very aware that dozens if not hundreds of others have come to the same conclusion I have (as correct or mistaken as it may be) - I'm just making my voice heard, because I think it's *important* it be said, and viewed, and understood:]

A friend of mine said she wouldn't be playing COH anymore today, after being on and off a few days since "Black Friday", because "it was too hard for her to see what had happened, and what (currently) is to come." It hurt... because I thought she had the "never say die" core spirit that I did, as well, and was going to struggle and fight on, like many of us are choosing to do. Maybe I've just got more of it. I don't know. We all have our personal limits how far we can push ourselves, timewise and energywise and familywise and so on, *but*...

I have had a lurking thought...that has now been reinforced by others coming to the same conclusion (quite a few on SaveCOH, but  also feedback from a handful of other websites with stories about us) -- I believe it to be a valid observation, and it SEEMS to make logical sense: ***the drop in attendance on CoX servers since the news came out*** (and it is there, believe it...I see it when I log on every night and look at my global list) is only going to give NCSoft reason to say "Hey, great rallys and protest effort!! We LOVE seeing the support -- but... look at the numbers: half the people have fled the game since we announced, and it's still 80 days till closing. Why *should* we keep it open?"

Here is my call to heroes and villains alike, my plea -- I think it's the same call the vast majority of us have, but there are some who are on the fence about how to proceed, or are filled with doubt, overwhelmed by grief, who have fled this game and are not returning to COH but reading about and passively supporting our efforts, or have other entertainment/gaming causes that are 'keeping' them from getting on COH:

===================
If you value this game, this world, this LIFE here at all -- and some seem like they have, or are, moving onto other pastures -- *play the game*. Don't grieve and say "it's too much for me to be here, I just can't be with a 'terminally-ill patient'! (flee in tears)", don't say "it's a done deal, it's just a matter of time; I'm going to other games to at the very least get familiar with them if not totally immerse myself in them altogether -- COH is *done*" - because you never know, anyone's collective avoidance could be the *FINAL* reason, after all the struggle, the effort, the tears and probably blood in some cases we've all shed, why NCSoft will continue on their course set 12 days ago and NOT change their minds.

You want COH to live? *SHOW IT*. And not just through protests, or letter-writing campaigns, or posting on Titan Network's forums, or the ambitious effort of sending in "masks" to NCSoft. Those are all great and wonderful gestures -- and Thank You collectively, all of you DOING things, for doing so!! <3 -- but if we collectively don't show our support for this game by *continuing to be on there*, enjoying and experiencing the world we are fighting for, while options get hashed over? We really *ARE* done. You might as well hang up your cape right now. :( And I don't think the vast majority of people want that. Certainly not the average, brave hearts I've seen here in this group.  City of Heroes database/code/servers are the body -- WE...are the breath that keeps it alive.
====================

Thank you, all! ;D (i know, i know, painfully long. ;)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
Re: ...This post has a life of its own. (Don't blame me.) O:)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 05:25:15 AM »
I understand your concern and how people are being driven away.  I couldn't bring myself to play it until Monday after Black Friday, but now I play it nightly.  The dip in population is disheartening, but I am doing my best to play as much as possible.  Thanks for posting this.  Though there is another thread about the importance of playing the game.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 05:31:16 AM »
I even felt depressed. Worked on ways to save it but couldn't bring myself to play. Since Saterday i've overcome my distance and played daily. I've even left my character afk in the base when not on also.

darkskye

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 05:53:47 AM »
If you've got a toon on Virtue (or better, it's your home), get in an AE mish and go to AP 33 instead of idling in your base. :D

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 06:24:33 AM »
1) MOO!

2) I agree. Leave a character in-game, preferably in front of a City Hall (I love the fact people are keeping Atlas Park 33 open to mark the high number we hit!). Secondly try to log in to play the game or role play daily. Invite friends back, help new ones join up. It's still all possible right now. I for one am going to keep playing the game until they pry it from my hands, and if my global list remains dark until that final day I'll accept that as human nature. Only then will I consider a serious move to another game. When I look back I can tell myself yes, it did hurt but you know what, I took what time I had left and made the most of it because I would regret not saving the city until the last possible day. Then of course there's the possibility that somehow the game will live on.

3) Continue showing the world what the City of Heroes community is all about!
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 08:08:11 AM »
I was in a puddle of melted ice cream and tears for days.  Now, I couldn't have played at DragonCon, our only connection was pretty crap via my phone, but once we started home we had super fast connections at motels and I still couldn't bear to play.

Then I found out what TonyV had already started.  I got involved but I still couldn't play.  In fact I didn't log in until the Rally.

Now I'm leaving my toon AFK with holdtorch and the message.  Account logged registers as played.  I can do that much.

Even though I know stuff I can't talk about the fear is still there, yeah, for me too.  But "I will go down with this ship/I won't put my hands up in surrender/There will be no white flag above my door/I'm in love and always will be."
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

chief536

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 08:23:58 AM »
I have two accounts logged in 24/7 right now. I will be playing until they stop me from being able to, and then I will do everything I can to help fund whatever efforts there are to get us a new community to continue this party in. CoH is a part of my life that I refuse to be without forever.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 10:44:29 AM »
I'm on a laptop, and I've been super busy--with my classes and extracurricular activities. The latter precludes my active playing; the former makes keeping vigils more difficult.

But I still have stories to tell and, worse come to pass, I have resolved that I will not regret leaving things undone in-game.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 11:49:49 AM »
Last night I forced myself to play and was fortunate enough to have my lvl 24 dominator asked to join a lvl 48 group in PI.

I mentioned #SaveCOH and then it all started...the team...became fun. We reminisced about having to use Hover over the Hollows, our first time dealing with the stairs in Steel Canyon, and how getting our first cape was a moment we wanted framed.

I had fun.

And really, when all is said and done...that's what the game's about, right? Having fun. Being with fellow players who make you feel a sense of community. Developing life-long friendships that will still continue (albeit with a bit more difficulty) after they pull the plug for the final time (may it never be so!).

So get out there and play. Be a hero.

Heroes don't stay in their darkened apartments and think about the what-might-have-beens. They rush out, jump into the nearest phonebooth, change into their garb, and hasten out to save the day.

Go. Hunt. Hav fun.  :)

Heavy Ion

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 01:16:27 PM »
I've been dividing my time between playing on some really fun teams and standing on the steps of City Hall, torch in hand. To those who have been too sad to play, there are still great teams to be found and it's another chance to actively spread the word about saving COH. There are a lot of people logging back into their characters for the first time in years, both to play the game and to find out what the heck is going on. And like Soundtrack said, there's a lot of reminiscing going on and not all of it is sad. There are still people here, and that's what this game is all about.

Against the grain of dystopic claims/Not the thoughts your actions entertain/And you have proved to be/A real human being and a real hero.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 01:35:02 PM »
I am as sad as anyone else however, I still play the game every night unless I have errands.

Not sure how NCSoft thinks.
I'm just hoping the game can get sold or leased out to some company that see's money in the over 15,000 petitioners.

Even Microsoft which is a much larger company, has let it's former games be run on private servers by Fans whom still enjoy them.

Takeda

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 02:24:35 PM »
I've just started playing the game again in the past week or so, after a dalliance with the original X-Com.  Found a character I really liked and am soloing on Villianside on Exalted (talk about a ghost town :) ).

I'm still bummed.  I have hope that we can save this thing, but a part of me keeps seeing Ambassador Kosh from B5, "The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebble to vote".

Either way, I'm going to do my best to enjoy the game until I can't anymore.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 02:49:28 PM »
I wish I had the qoute from "A Bug's Life," but I'm on my phone. Eough pebbles ARE avalanche, tho.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
"I know it's a rock! I've spent a lot of time around rocks!"

Although I suspect you're thinking of "Once the avalanche has started, it's too late for the pebbles to vote". Which is not from Bug's Life - it's from Babylon 5. :)  And THESE pebbles are voting.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Render112

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 03:17:06 PM »
I played CoX until my laptops graphics card was no longer supported, lol. The same one I am typing on now.

On the biggest ironic note ever, lol, I bought a desktop on Black Friday, with the intentions of trying GW2 and get back on with my CoX hobby. GW2 was a bust for me. I then proceeded to CoX to DL the client and I immediately see the farewell post, that for me was exactly like many others describing it, I felt a sense of loss. Gah, great timing.

So I took my desktop back for a refund. If the game works out in some form of a comeback or saved I will be getting another computer.

I am here reading every day for updates and other peoples thoughts, even though this is my first post on either the official forums or here.

Merana

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 03:57:29 PM »
i logged in sometimes, but couldn`t get myself to play. I was so sad. I was never much of a player, i didn`t even have a computer before i met my husband. He used to play a lot, not only mmorpgs, but single player games too. I tried those, but they never hooked me. So we would have a discussion over him playing too much quite sometimes.  :P
I decided to just try his hobby, and bought a computer. He introduced me to my first online game, star wars galaxies at that time. Now that was something for me, roleplay (I used to do roleplaying games at home since i was 10) and chatting with people from all over the world and computer game. Finally he could follow his hobby with me and without arguments. We played some mmorpgs over the time, but COH was the first game i saw in a shop and wanted to buy. That was in July 2005. Since then we played on and off, but never canceled the accounts. Like so many here, we met a lot of nice people in COH, one of them became a really good friend, he even was our best man. We live in Germany and all my characters are on the Zukunft server. But that is pretty empty now. Maybe i should try to transfer some of my characters to Virtue, don`t know if that is even possible now though. (Sorry that this became so long  :-[)
 Because you are right, i should continue to play! I will try and be online as much as i can.  ;)

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 04:10:45 PM »
The first week after the news I was glued to the forums (this one and the CoH official forums).  I was also doing research on other games I was interested in, but I have come back to CoH and I fully intend to play it exclusively for the next 3 months.  See you in game!