Author Topic: Overlooking the Playfield  (Read 7648 times)

Paindancer

• Lieutenant
Overlooking the Playfield
« on: September 12, 2012, 03:34:35 PM »
In 15 days... here is what I am seeing:  These are just my thoughts.  Nothing more.  :)

* We have managed to capture the attention of a entire industry
* We have arranged 3700 person virtual events
* We have a petition with over 17000 sigs
* We have enacted a media surge

What is the effect?

*The entire gaming industry is looking at this and how it pans out
*NCSoft is in closed door discussions with partners on this
*The word is spreading further and further out of the coh circle

What has worked?

*Without a doubt, the most effective  tool seems to be the human factor.  Its MORE than just a game, but a social platform.  This has been instrumental in the rationale of our message and the conveying of that message.
*The combination of social networking, family friendly theme, has made this huge
*The West, LOVES to root for the Hero.. this is cliche'.  Hero is beaten down, and rallies to victory. 

How to move forward:

* Most significantly, NCSoft has a bit of an embarrassment on their hands.  At best, it says they were surprised by their market.  They are probably REALLY hopeful we just go away.  We dont want to put them on the ropes, but we do want to make sure the pressure remains, so they can take positive action and point to us as rational.  They are in between a rock and a hard place, trying to mitigate this while remaining strong in the eyes of their investors.  (ISTBT  it sucks to be them!)
* The human factor is MASSIVE for getting the word out.  VV's testimonial thread is going to be a 30 inch gun in our arsenal.
* Get people to play.  Put the word out.. if the client is still downlowaded ... encourage people to start a toon and see what the fuss is about.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:53:32 PM by Paindancer »
@vengeance mk2

The iReport:  http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-838027
(read it, share it, recommend it)

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
Re: Overlooking the Playfield
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 05:22:37 PM »
I am seeing word on other threads that the client can no longer be downloaded. Gosh. I wonder why? Good thing I updated it on all 4 machines that can handle CoH in at least "safe" mode. LAN party at my house. (grin)

Paindancer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 05:24:53 PM »
Thats a pity.  People were creating accounts just to see what was going on.  Not a suprising move however.

I wonder, if there is a way to host the download on a mirror or the like, & what the legal hoops would be for that.
@vengeance mk2

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 05:41:58 PM »
I know some people have placed copies of the installer out where others can reach them.  I'll go digging...
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 05:42:52 PM »
I'm inclined to guess that would be a no-no. Maybe Olantern or one of the other legal minds here in the forums can give us the not-a-legal advice informed opinion on this. Kind of a weird situation; continuing to distribute a free client when the owner of said software no longer wishes it distributed. But I think they could get a takedown order for that pretty easily.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 05:43:27 PM »
Probably, but until they do, it's out there.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 05:43:54 PM »
These still seem to work (didn't actually download at work, but the exe files popped for download)

The launcher has been removed from the City of Heroes website. However, for those who have removed their client and want to get back in, here is a link (thanks to Savannah Smith)

http://www.mediafire.com/?dbutx1s55djq43k

http://download.cityofheroes.com/client/COH_Installer.exe

ftp://ftp.ncsoft.com/Launcher/NCsoftLauncherSetup.exe

And for Mac here:

http://download.cityofheroes.com/NCLauncher_Installer.dmg

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 05:47:11 PM »
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Paindancer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »
Nod, its a tricky legal spot.. gonig to yoga and will do some thinking.
@vengeance mk2

ducklorange

• Lieutenant
    • Epic Duck Studios
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »
Somewhat off topic, has anyone confirmed if Time Cards can still be used to VIP up an account?
Build demorecord files from your CoH Costume & Titan XML files! [http://demolition.mcuznz.ca]

Olantern

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »
I'm inclined to guess that would be a no-no. Maybe Olantern or one of the other legal minds here in the forums can give us the not-a-legal advice informed opinion on this. Kind of a weird situation; continuing to distribute a free client when the owner of said software no longer wishes it distributed. But I think they could get a takedown order for that pretty easily.

I'll take a crack at this.  I think it would depend on what the license to distribute the client states.  I assume that's covered in the post-Freedom EULA, even though it's an intermediate user, not the end user, who's doing the distributing.

As with anything else related to the IP of the game, NCSoft starts off with the right to do whatever it wants with the client, including restricting it from being distributed, period.  When it uses its copyright to make "copies" by making the client available for download, it can put any restrictions on the download it wants, even if it's making the client available for free.  For instance, it could include a line in the licensing agreement stating something like, "Your use of this property is conditioned on your not posting the client for download elsewhere."  NCSoft still holds the right to distribute (as opposed to the right to download) until it says otherwise.  That language I mentioned is particularly important for a rights-holder to include if it isn't giving away the client for free, as in the pre-Freedom CoH days.  Imagine if it couldn't include this limitation: one person could download the client from NCSoft, then redistribute it to the entire world, and NCSoft would be without legal recourse against the whole thing.

Now, if the client is being given away for free, NCSoft can still, in theory, put any restrictions it wants on the exchange.  But I'm not sure those restrictions would hold up in court.  Some judges, especially those with less experience in electronic material, would simply say, "Free is free, so the person who gets the free copy can do literally anything with it."

Regardless, it's unlikely to get tested any time soon in the real world.  Because the client's being given away free, NCSoft doesn't have any financial stake in preventing its being distributed.  If it sues someone for distributing the client, it might be able to get an injunction to stop the distribution, but it wouldn't be entitled to damages, because it hasn't lost anything.  Pursuing the lawsuit is likely to be more costly than it's worth.

That brings something to mind.  We'll know NCSoft is really serious about burying the CoH IP if it starts trying to shut down places to download the game.  That means it's paying attorney time to write cease-and-desist letters and perform the kind of analysis I'm trying to do off-the-cuff in this post, all without certain financial benefit.  Presumably, its ultimate goal in a scenario like this would be to prevent someone from duplicating the servers (which is definitely a violation of both the licensing agreements involved and NCSoft's IP rights) by duplicating the client (which may not, in itself, be a direction violation).

So, as in a lot of legal situations, the answer may be, "Ask the court when you get sued."  Don't you just love the certainty and comfort of the law?  :roll:

Deathmint

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 06:08:45 PM »
I'm about to blast this out on Facebook. Can people still sign up for new accounts if they have the installer?

darkskye

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 06:09:23 PM »
Somewhat off topic, has anyone confirmed if Time Cards can still be used to VIP up an account?

They can not.  At least I haven't figured out how to use my time card to get back to VIP. :(

darkskye

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 06:10:31 PM »
I'm about to blast this out on Facebook. Can people still sign up for new accounts if they have the installer?

I doubt it, since that would require giving billing information.

But if I'm wrong....

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 06:11:13 PM »

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 06:12:18 PM »
Nice overview! The accomplishments of the CoH community do look pretty cool.

As far as getting the game: the NCSoft launcher is still available, and it still has the game. And it's a perfectly legit way to get it (in fact, the NCSoft preferred way, right?).
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 06:13:48 PM »
THey can't cut off account registration, can they, without restricting access to ALL their games. The fact they are trying to restrict access is not a good sign, though.

Baronesa

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 06:23:31 PM »
They can not.  At least I haven't figured out how to use my time card to get back to VIP. :(

Have you tried in game using the store where it says "Enter promo code" ?

It may work

darkskye

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 07:01:54 PM »
No luck.  It says invalid code when I enter it there.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »
Has anyone tried using either dowload (PC or Mac) from the main NCSoft account page? It requires logging in, which can be problematic over distances (giving my login to a friend across the country for instance).
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."