Author Topic: Testimonials  (Read 45387 times)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Re: Testimonials
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2012, 11:09:03 PM »
Every time I delve into this thread, too things happen.

1) Ninjas sneak into the room and start quietly chopping onions. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

2) I'm reminded that this truly is a City of Heroes, both in and out of game. Thank you again, everyone, for sharing your stories, big or small, dramatic or mundane. They are all equally important.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2012, 03:35:37 AM »
Every time I delve into this thread, too things happen.

1) Ninjas sneak into the room and start quietly chopping onions. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

2) I'm reminded that this truly is a City of Heroes, both in and out of game. Thank you again, everyone, for sharing your stories, big or small, dramatic or mundane. They are all equally important.

What Drake said.  Without the ninjas.  Tears, yes, ninjas no.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2012, 05:04:30 AM »
I've been fighting on how to tell this story.

From an early age my son had issues with screens, a tv, computer monitor, phone, it would always immediately draw his attention to the exclusion of all else. Initially, we'd considered it normal, fast movement on the screen draws a babies eyes. As he grew older, the behavior did not change, a screen would always get his attention. As a curiosity, I sat him down in my lap, at three years old, and set him into the City of Heroes character creation screen. He'd used the computer mouse before, letting him draw with paint. I thought to give him something more to do than just squiggly lines on a screen. It took awhile, but after about three hours of him playing with the editor, he'd created himself his own character. I'd figured that would be enough, but he wanted to actually play the rather garishly colored egyptian god with john lennon glasses. For him, he could move around using the arrow keys, while I controlled the powers, but it was a start.

For those unaware, a child with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder have a problem of dopamine fall-off in the brain. The longer an activity takes to feed a reward, the more this drops off. The brain, needing this chemical to function, seeks something to fulfill this reward, hence the difficulty in paying attention. A tv or computer screen gives rapid, almost immediate rewards, keeping these levels at their proper levels. Without any of us realizing it, my son was self-medicating himself through the computer.

By the time my son was diagnosed, it led us to a new realization. By the age of 5, his playing City of Heroes, and his asking me to read him every mission text, every plaque, had helped him to learn how to read above his age level. His working on enhancements and min-maxing gave him immediate rewards for math comprehension. His memory improved when he dived into Inventions and later Architect Entertainment as he sought to make his characters better. We bought him packs when he did his chores without issue. City of Heroes gave us a tool to help a child who otherwise would have struggled to stay at grade level, to instead surpass it. He even worked for and earned his own computer, a little netbook which we made sure would run CoH for him.

He is now 10, and reading at an adults level. He is in his school districts advanced learning program, at a special gifted student school. This year they begin orchestra, which of course has us figuring out where to purchase the right student Cello for him. We tried other games for him, but none gave him the outlet and immediate rewards which City of Heroes did, so all became objects of boredom over time. Not the WoW, not the EQ, not DR, not CO, not SWG, none of them kept his focus and attention to the extent which City of Heroes did.

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2012, 07:31:59 AM »
I... well, sometimes I suffer from Major Clinical Depression.  Other times I revel in it.

I've been in and out of Hospitals for my condiiton more than once, too... but that isnt the point here.

I was a relative latecomer to the game, having not subbed until right around issue 16 with its breakthrough of customizable power colors.  Because of my mental and emotional problems, I never have, and still am not, very comfortable around people in a real life setting.  Its...  challenging to get myself to go out and be around other people in a social setting.  still. I pretty much got to the point where I'd not go out without a compelling reason.  Like grocery shopping.

What little interaction I did with anyone, pretty much dwindled to the electronic forms, until finally a group of players who were also fans of Robert Shroeck convinced me to give it a try.  Seems Bob wound up sort of inherting a Supergroup, but building from a core of fellow fans of the game and of his fan-fiction built it back up into a fairly thriving community with its own subsection of his message boards. 

I've not looked back.  Maybe my attatchment to the game isn't compelely healthy; but its given me a safe social outlet.  A badly needed one, at the time I was living in a town of barely 10,000 in northern california where it seemed there wasn't anyone who shared my particular interests, as I'd always been a RPG'r, even back when I was more of a roll player than a ROLE player.  and thats been the things that stuck in my head, now that I think about it.  Granted I've always been a Virtue player except for 2 for backup on Infinity (Created back in the day when server crashes were much more comon, but any time both Virtue and Infinity were down it was inevitably a case of the fact BOTH servers being down was actually the least of one's problems)  I did make a joke toon on freedom as well, back when it was thought that only by being on freedom during its praetorean invasion would get you the badge.

This game has let me excercise social skills that would have disollved into nothing by now.  And like physcial muscles, social skills will attrophy if not used.  Its especially important now, to me, as I am a distinct racial minority where I live now.  Its not something that I really put my finger on until now... but while I dont go in fear of my personal safety any time I leave my apartment I dont exactly feel warmly welcomed by the people I do see on the street.

Sinister Stairs

• Underling
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2012, 04:48:29 PM »
This isn't a testimonial but a PSA, of sorts:  The most frequently recurring villain in these threads is depression, and it's something I've also struggled with.  (Including eating crackers for "meals" because I couldn't bring myself to go out for groceries; and disconnecting my phone because social interaction -- even with friends -- was too exhausting.)

Don't let that archvillain defeat you!

Seek help, if you haven't already.  The game of life, like CoH, is a lot easier with teammates.

*  If your "help" wasn't helpful, keep looking.  Therapists and doctors are not Signature Summons -- they're pick-up groups:  Some are apathetic, just drawing a paycheck; others mean well but are ineffective; others are highly skilled but may not connect with you; while others are downright terrible, misdiagnose you, and make things even worse.

But among all the mismatched pick-up therapists/psychiatrists out there, there's someone whom you'll connect with; someone who cares about you and whom you like; whom you can rely on and will be there for you; with whom you can form a Supergroup together.  These are the teammates that you have to find -- need to find.

*  As StarRanger4 said, social skills are something that need to be exercised or it atrophies.  It's great that CoH helps many of us with our recovery, but don't let it end there!  That first Training enhancement slotted in your Social Interaction power will seem worthless, but as you continue adding more slots and slowly upgrading more powerful enhancements; it can become a bread-and-butter power for you.

Most of all -- and the recurring theme from all these testimonials -- don't give up!

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »
*  If your "help" wasn't helpful, keep looking.  Therapists and doctors are not Signature Summons -- they're pick-up groups:  Some are apathetic, just drawing a paycheck; others mean well but are ineffective; others are highly skilled but may not connect with you; while others are downright terrible, misdiagnose you, and make things even worse.

Best description of doctors EVER! (From someone with chronic migraines, fibromyalgia, mild to moderate depression, and anxiety disorders...on top of my autistic kids.)
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2012, 05:04:15 PM »
But among all the mismatched pick-up therapists/psychiatrists out there, there's someone whom you'll connect with; someone who cares about you and whom you like; whom you can rely on and will be there for you; with whom you can form a Supergroup together.  These are the teammates that you have to find -- need to find.

+1 for truth.  I would also add dont get locked in to feeling you have to have a 'diploma'd caregiver.  If you feel uncomfotable with them there are plenty of peers inside the system who have been where you are and can be just as helpfull and, because they are your PEER, and your choosing to take their advice can be MORE empowering to your recovery than the "handed down from on high" feeling you can get from a certified professional.

Ixontes

• Underling
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2012, 06:10:55 PM »
Back in 2004 when this game came out I was busy playing Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies. I worked with a guy who played it and I thought "what a stupid game." One of my best friends told me that one of the developers was one of the developers of the table top roleplaying game Gamma World, which I had played since I was 15 (1987). So, I decided to give it a try. I actually created a character on his account and played for a big part of 2005-06. We had a falling out and I quit. Finally, in 2007, my coworker and now best friend encouraged me to create an account, so  I did.

I didn't get the chance to play every day, but I did play. I was going through a divorce after 8 years of marriage. I ended up losing my job due to the economy and I lost my house because of the divorce. I took on 2 jobs and had my daughter part time. I introduced her to the game in 2009, when she was only 4 years old. I helped her create Pinky Ponytail on Freedom. We'd take turns playing. She ended up taking on one of my characters named Skycia. She got her up to level 47. She is now 7 years old and in the 2nd grade. Yes, we do things other than COH. She is smart and does well in school. She was born with a cleft lip and has gone through a few surgeries in her short life. She adores the game and we have a great time. Just last year I created a second account and we began playing together after she finished her homework. We enjoyed Trick-or-treat during Halloween and the Ski slope during the holidays. This game has been my escape from life. It has been my anti-anxiety medication. I just wanted to sum up my COH story and share it.

This has been the best community ever. UO was great, as was SWG, but nothing compares to COH.

I am wondering, if it does close, where do we go next? What game comes close to it?
Most of the games have the same thing, alike combat, instanced missions, etc....but what has this kind of community? Events for holidays? Awesome character creation? Ease of grouping, yet ease of solo play?

God bless City of Heroes!!!

****Sorry cohtitan, I didn't think about this thread. Thank you for moving my post and not deleting!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:20:55 PM by silverseed71 »

EventHorizonMan

• Minion
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2012, 06:24:06 PM »
I am wondering, if it does close, where do we go next? What game comes close to it?
Most of the games have the same thing, alike combat, instanced missions, etc....but what has this kind of community? Events for holidays? Awesome character creation? Ease of grouping, yet ease of solo play?

God bless City of Heroes!!!

First of all, thanks for sharing your experience with City Of Heroes and how it helped you with the personal challenges you faced. Talk about a shopping list of challenges, yikes! But like a real hero, you perservered.

If City of Heroes does sunset, and we wonder where we go next, I'd recommend participating in the cohtitan network on Plan Z while using a game like DCUO or CO as a lifeboat. Yes, it won't be the same, but, it will keep the gamer in all of us focused on two fronts.

Event Horizon Man

Ixontes

• Underling
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2012, 06:45:51 PM »
What is Plan Z and what can I do?

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2012, 06:48:34 PM »

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2012, 06:57:02 PM »
Plan Z is what this community is going to do if everythin else fails...make our own completely original super hero MMO

And we so need a new signature toon...named onion chopping ninja

Edit because autocorrect did not know what a mmo was..lol
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Knightward

• Minion
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2012, 01:10:11 AM »
I've been wavering about whether I should actually bother writing this, but what the heck.  I got nothing on everyone else posting in here; this is probably the most minor testimonial we'll get.  But every little bit helps, right?

3 and a half years ago I was diagnosed with crohn's disease.  It's not the most debilitating case of it by far, but from what I've heard from other people with it I do have a rather painful case.  Specifically, I can no longer handle pesticides, so with a few exceptions based on agricultural practices I can't eat fruits or vegetables unless they're organic.  I'll spend the rest of the day in crippling pain and absolutely no energy if I take a bite out of the wrong apple, for example.  As is often goes, my crohn's built up slowly and unnoticed for at least a year.  So I was gradually getting sick more often and getting fatigued faster and faster at such a rate I had only the slightest inkling that something wasn't right.  Obviously I was spending less and less time visiting my friends, but I could still socialize in City of Heroes (I had already been playing for years at that point).  By the time something was blatantly wrong I barely had the strength to get around the house.  I've always been the big guy that everyone calls for the heavy lifting, so when I had to ration how long to wait before getting up for a drink or go to the bathroom or ANYTHING because I just didn't have the strength to do so as needed... it was pretty scary for all involved.  Add to that while my doctor and I were trying to figure out what was going on, I was having intense stomach pain 24/7.

But I could still play City of Heroes.  I was too weak to go out (and considering all my friends live pretty far from me, they weren't in a position to head over much themselves, not that I'd have been capable of being much of a host), but I could still have fun socializing in game.  And more immediately, I could be wrapped up enough in the playing that I could ignore my pain for a time.  I'd be absolutely winded walking a circle around my house, but in the game I could leap tall buildings in a single bound and run faster than the speeding tram.  I could FLY!  I was too weak to perform any of the martial arts I'd spent most of my life doing, but in game I could beat hordes of thugs senseless!  It took 2 or 3 months of testing to determine what exactly was wrong, and another 5 months of medication and exercise before I was strong enough to be capable of working again.  It took a full year before I could bearhug my friends off the ground left and right again.  Without the awesome community that is City of Heroes, I would have gone stir crazy.  No question.

I already knew quite a few awesome people from the game before I got sick.  Heck, I'd already flown hundreds of miles to a supergroup meetup!  But during my months of recovery I did get to know a good many more awesome people.  Basically, my social network in the game spread beyond my supergroup and its coalitions to fellow badge hunting types.  And the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that this is why City of Heroes has such an incredible community: The game is designed such that you don't often have to be forced into teaming with other people; but it does have something for everyone, and thus you can socialize over common interest instead of mandatory cooperation.  And that always forms the strongest bonds.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2012, 01:53:54 AM »
Page WHAT? I don't think so. BUMP! FOR THE ONIONS! AND THE NINJAS! Our stories will be heard!

Edit: Oh, and if Obsidian is still around, you've got a PM.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:05:50 AM by DrakeGrimm »
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

EventHorizonMan

• Minion
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2012, 01:51:24 AM »
*buffs up the thread*

Event Horizon Man

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2012, 01:54:21 AM »
OUR ONIONS WILL BLOT OUT THE SUN!

Elfin

• Lieutenant
  • Never Fear Elfin Is Here
    • Ken's Super Sci Fi Page
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2012, 02:09:21 AM »
 I am a 6 plus year COH Veteran, and I simply love this game. I have always been a Superman and comic book fan, Both DC and Marvel. This game allows me to come up with my own special Heroes. For this reason and many more such as the many friends that I have made across the planet, like my two best buds @Mark C. and @JSonic who live in Australia, while I live in the United States, and the great community. The Heroes I have created with costumes and back stories, Missions I have created in Architech, and The bases I have created.

One big reason I hate to lose this game is the fact that my sister passed away on 9/9/2009. Rhonda died from Cancer she was 47. When Rhonda was still alive I was thinking how she is fighting her cancer like a Hero, she never really complained just dealt with it, and continued to try, and be the best mother, and grandmother she could be. So I decided to make a toon for her in her Honor. I made a Hero Character, and tried to make it look as much like a younger version of my sister as I could. I gave it the name Radiant Ivy, and explained in the Character description that Radiant Ivy was the hero name for Rhonda Lynn my sister. I also talked in her description about her brave battle with Cancer, and how it finally took her life. When Rhonda was still alive I told her about City Of Heroes, and about this Character that I had made for her. I told her what the Character looked like, what powers it had, and what it could do. She said, and I quote " Wow I sound pretty cool" . So for me in some ways my sister lives on in Radiant Ivy. NCSoft wants to kill my sister again. Makes me sad.

Ixontes

• Underling
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2012, 02:16:53 AM »
I wanted to add more....
I met my best friend in this game...sort of.....

I played some and then introduced it to a co-worker but I had to quit due to financial issues and divorce. When I joined back I had a new job and this game was the only way we connected. He ended up getting to play more than me and leveled up several characters to level 50. He helped my daughter and I level up. He was the great 2012 doomsday Daniel (I like to call him) and he had an awesome supergroup on Freedom. He and I both work a whole lot but we connect on Facebook and on City of Heroes. He is my best friend and for him, my daughter, his son, and myself, keep COH alive!!!

On another note...The past 2 keyboards I have bought with backlight and extra keys for $100, I bought for this game alone.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2012, 02:26:55 AM »
OUR ONIONS WILL BLOT OUT THE SUN!

Yours will be the onion that pierces the heavens!
>.>

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2012, 04:40:30 AM »
My story isnt as heart-wrenching as many others. For me, it started with just a kid somewhere in 5th grade (sometime in the late Issue 12 area).
I found a box that, at a glance, was just like any other computer game lying around. Except, it Was different. The cover of the box said "City of Heroes" on it.
I opened the front cover and saw an amazing battle between costumed superheroes and awesome-looking robots! Even without reading the text captioning small screenshots, I knew I wanted to play this game.
After I installed it I found out it was a MMO (XD) and that i needed an account to play it. While I thought about it, I brought the pocket-sized game manual to school to read through. This game had everything I didnt know I wanted and more!
I made my first trial account, and although I dont remember the name of my first toon, I knew that 14 days wasn't enough, so after the first one expired, I made another one. Ahh, my first Halloween zombie invasion in AP.... After that, I quit for a while, but CoH kept on calling me back. I made another trial account sometime around Issue 16, and another trial, and I lost track of how many more I made, until finally! I actually got the game.
Since then, I joined my SG, made some unforgettable friends, got 4 level 50s, did lots of raids and events, burned out a video Card (I blame the Rikti), made crazy amounts of scrappers, talked my RL friends into playing, and three years ago, I decided that I was gonna go to college to major in game design.
CoH has been a major influence on my life, and there's still so much I havent gotten to do yet, like try out some of the new powersets, unlock the newest incarnate slot, get more 50s, stop playing support archetypes like a scrapper, explore Night Ward, play all of the signature story arcs, and get all the badges. I've been playing on and off for about 6-7 years, although with the amount of trials I had, I only have the 2-3 year veteran reward.
With the impact CoH has had on me thus far, I can't- No, won't, let it end like this.

LT. Couper
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:20:55 PM by LT. Couper »
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson