Author Topic: Testimonials  (Read 45399 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Testimonials
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2012, 03:35:34 AM »
I don't have anything to add, but this thread needs to stay near the top. So there.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Arctic Force.

• Lieutenant
  • I am A Blaster.....Floors Fear Me!!
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2012, 05:01:17 PM »
One the biggest entertainment franchises was saved by a letter writing campaign. Now it has 4 spin-off tv shows an animated series, eleven movies plus 1 in the works, multiple games And pretty much started "Fan-Cons". Thanks Mr. Roddenberry  Earn free bitcoin

ObsidianPhoenix76

• Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »
...stupid onion chopping ninjas. *sniffle*

Thank you for sharing, Obsidian. That couldn't have been easy for you. Which server do you play on? I'd be honored to meet Crystallum before November 30th.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
I really need to keep a box of Kleenex at my computer. Seriously.

Obsidian Phoenix, I can't even imagine the pain. No pain quite as unbearable.

Please know that my prayers are with you and your wife and that it's also my prayers you'll be reunited with your Crystal.

Your daughter was right...you ARE a hero...and I'm sure she's very proud of you.

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2012, 08:21:35 PM »
Respect for sharing this, Obsidian.
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2012, 08:47:16 PM »
Obsidian, there are no words to express my sorrow and respect for you.

My eyes are brimming with tears...in the middle of a restaurant.  I too would be honored to meet the homage to your little girl.  We must save this game...for all of us, but especially for that tiny blessed spirit...and you.

Virtual hugs are all I have to send...wow.
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

ObsidianPhoenix76

• Lieutenant
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2012, 03:33:19 AM »
Thanks gang.

She is on Guardian, and I will be having her standing vigil in game for a while.  I wish I had the time to get her to 50,  But at the rate I get to play her, I don't think it will happen.

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2012, 03:36:17 AM »
Thanks gang.

She is on Guardian, and I will be having her standing vigil in game for a while.  I wish I had the time to get her to 50,  But at the rate I get to play her, I don't think it will happen.

Miracle happen.

Every day.  :)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2012, 06:59:24 AM »
Should anyone pause for a moment and ask "Is it right, with everything that is terrible about the real world, that we should have the temerity to pray that this game be saved?" I would answer this.

Would saving it harm anyone?  Cause anyone to lose anything?

No.

Would saving it preserve a place where precious memories can be preserved, where little boys that can't run can fly, where the fearful can be brave, the sorrowful comforted, the lonely find companionship--where all the things that are good about humanity can be shared and celebrated?

Yes.

The fact that this is a world of electrons and pixels is meaningless in the face of what this thread has told us.  It is virtual, but it is real.

And it is right we use every tool we have to save it.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2012, 07:12:16 AM »
Should anyone pause for a moment and ask "Is it right, with everything that is terrible about the real world, that we should have the temerity to pray that this game be saved?" I would answer this.

Would saving it harm anyone?  Cause anyone to lose anything?

No.

Would saving it preserve a place where precious memories can be preserved, where little boys that can't run can fly, where the fearful can be brave, the sorrowful comforted, the lonely find companionship--where all the things that are good about humanity can be shared and celebrated?

Yes.

The fact that this is a world of electrons and pixels is meaningless in the face of what this thread has told us.  It is virtual, but it is real.

And it is right we use every tool we have to save it.

Damn. Straight.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

blue storm

• Boss
  • #savecoh
    • Freedom Academy
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2012, 07:33:58 AM »

Unbelievably sad and moving. That took an incredible amount of courage and strength to overcome that kind of pain: Obsidian. Thanks for sharing...

You ARE a Hero and I'm sure you're making her proud.
--

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2012, 08:33:12 AM »
I regret that, to my everlasting sadness, I just discovered it is impossible for me to roll a character on Guardian due to the cancellation of my VIP just days before the sunset announcement. Know that it would have been an honor to meet Crystallum, and again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your story with us, Obsidian.

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2012, 09:09:28 AM »
Its time I added to this thread...my story isn't as powerful and moving as that of Obsidian Phoenix and I am thankful it is not nearly as heart-rending and yet I have been holding back for the wrong reasons.  I think here alone no one will think less of me for knowing the truth.  For this to go to NCsoft well I would recommend only excerpts...I'm not writing this for them...I'm writing this for all of you.  I don't want to craft a piece of marketing material...this is about opening my heart.

Today I am a trained public speaker, a sometime actress on the local level, a karaoke singer, a fan fiction writer, a poet, a person who works in a office...and a female gamer.

Once long ago there was a little girl with an invisible disability who did not have an easy life....and was told a great many things she would never have, never find, and never do.  She was horribly uncoordinated to the point that video games started out as a prescription to try and build hand-eye coordination.  That little girl went through motor skills tutoring and found out that she was paradoxically good at many athletics...she had great reflexes, good instincts, and balance...but the lack of spacial perception would always get in her way.  And so despite of being a born athlete in many ways she was never going to really be one...still she managed to get on several high school sports teams and do well enough to compete, never win but compete.  She learned to be content with that because there really was no other choice...she could never compete against others, only herself.  She prided herself on those athletic achievements, paltry though they were, because the only place she had ever been encouraged. 

That little girl learned to know frustration very well.  She had so many potential talents but the only thing that she was ever encouraged in was trying to appear "normal".  She was very, very good at reading from a very young age and lost herself in a world of books by many authors (including one on this board.)  There she learned that different could mean special not broken and that maybe the world could actually accept her for who she was.  It was a wonderful difference from the discouraging and hateful words that often filled her daily life, including from people who were supposed to love her. 

She had a singing voice but struggled with rhythm and of course being a singer was not a practical profession...neither was acting, or writing...the things she actually loved doing and maybe would have had a chance of making it if actual training had been given.  So upon reaching adulthood she finally was able to join a local semi-professional theater company, get positively acknowledged in the local papers, and then have to quit because she had to get a second job.

She was good with computers, largely because she was told to learn typing so people would not have to read her horrible handwriting and has the sort of mind that assimilates concepts rapidly.  She had an early knack for programing and wanted to take further classes but kept being told to wait for another year...until the field left her completely behind.

Her focus in school was on learning to appear normal...dumb down her strengths and camoflauge her weaknesses until she looked like every other drone...dreams were something to be immediately squashed and broken

She used to be painfully shy not because it was her nature but because the world had stomped so hard and often on her individuality that she had learned to be ashamed of it.

So she sang quietly to her self but never believed she was any good, wrote stories but showed them to no one. 

She was a desperately unhappy child always afraid that someone would see through the facade she had been forced to build, always working on a new mask.

She loved animals because there was never a need to hide with them...she loved music, video, games, books, being outdoors, anything and everything that let her escape from the constant and oppressive *assault* of reality.

She was a sensitive child who cared about others and then learned it only got her hurt and betrayed....yet still kept trying.

She considered ending it, but she was far to stubborn for that...she refused to surrender and made a vow to herself that she would not give in.  She would not let people who set out to destroy her have the satisfaction of winning.

This little girl eventually grew up, she left that town full of hate and pain, she found new friends people who did not ridicule her at every turn and reaffirmed that every single interest she had was not worthy only of mockery...every opinion she had was not wrong.  It is still hard for her to trust people, she has been through far to much, but she slowly learned to peal away the layers one by one.

She found new role models and started to unearth the shattered remnants of her dreams.  Maybe it was far to late to ever be famous or successful in any way her family would acknowledge but she vowed to stop being ashamed of herself, to embrace acting, singing, and writing as wonderful hobbies that she wishes were more but probably would never be.  She hiked the grand canyon because it was a tangible achievement.  She learned to drive a car even if it was a far years later then most.  At first it was hard to pick up a karaoke microphone, give a speech, lead a group, step on a stage or show anyone something she had written...the newest illusion is one of confidence something that becomes a little more real every day.

Eight years ago she picked up her very first MMO, she made a decision for herself that she wanted to be a hero and that she would not be afraid of joining an online community...and they accepted her.  They did not care that she got lost easily on maps, they laughed with her at typos, they affirmed that video games were not just a childish pastime...after a hard day npc and player alike were there with a word of thanks.

When she needed to get rid of anger, this young woman could find a villain worthy of destruction.

When the weather was awful outside or she was sick the vistas of paragon city provided a wonderful place to explore.

When she could not seem to do anything right there was always a successful mission.

When she needed a friend...her real life friends and husband were on the same team because she had successfully shared something she loved and had it echoed rather then being ridiculed or ashamed.

Today I am no longer that little girl.  It would be impossible to heal every scar without losing the sensitivity and compassion that are so much a part of me.  But I have come a very long way toward paving over that road of pain.  My life is far from perfect but before this announcement about City of Heroes I was happy.  I am very proud to be a gamer and a member of the wonderful community that is city of heroes.

City of Heroes may not be the source of that healing but it has been a true and lasting inspiration...and the people of this community are among those who have given me the courage and strength to start making something of my life.

So here I stand before you...stripped of my armor, acknowledging my flaws...and why I will fight  till the bitter end for a game.  Because City of heroes IS far more then a game.  It is a community, where I am accepted....and can be the hero....I have always *wished* I could be.
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Vee-chan

• Underling
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2012, 09:26:22 AM »
I found out 2 years ago I was transgender it came as a shock to me because I was raised to be homophobic and to be like every other straight man my parents and most of my family don't know yet but all my friends know and this game has let me be me my friends on City of Heroes treated me like a girl and it means the world to me that they mean the world to me and i wouldn't know how to take it if I lost touch with them i would die i was actually thinking of suicide before I got into this game because if I came out to my parents I would be homeless this game brings me a piece of mind that I need in my life i literally couldn't live without this game.

ObsidianPhoenix76

• Lieutenant
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2012, 01:47:29 PM »
I regret that, to my everlasting sadness, I just discovered it is impossible for me to roll a character on Guardian due to the cancellation of my VIP just days before the sunset announcement. Know that it would have been an honor to meet Crystallum, and again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your story with us, Obsidian.

Drake.  Crystal Says Hi!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10207725@N08/8015504748/

EDIT:  For some reason I cannot get the photo to display in the message.  But the link to the photo is above!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 01:56:00 PM by ObsidianPhoenix76 »

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »
Its time I added to this thread...my story isn't as powerful and moving as that of Obsidian Phoenix and I am thankful it is not nearly as heart-rending and yet I have been holding back for the wrong reasons.  I think here alone no one will think less of me for knowing the truth.  For this to go to NCsoft well I would recommend only excerpts...I'm not writing this for them...I'm writing this for all of you.  I don't want to craft a piece of marketing material...this is about opening my heart.

Today I am a trained public speaker, a sometime actress on the local level, a karaoke singer, a fan fiction writer, a poet, a person who works in a office...and a female gamer.

Once long ago there was a little girl with an invisible disability who did not have an easy life....and was told a great many things she would never have, never find, and never do.  She was horribly uncoordinated to the point that video games started out as a prescription to try and build hand-eye coordination.  That little girl went through motor skills tutoring and found out that she was paradoxically good at many athletics...she had great reflexes, good instincts, and balance...but the lack of spacial perception would always get in her way.  And so despite of being a born athlete in many ways she was never going to really be one...still she managed to get on several high school sports teams and do well enough to compete, never win but compete.  She learned to be content with that because there really was no other choice...she could never compete against others, only herself.  She prided herself on those athletic achievements, paltry though they were, because the only place she had ever been encouraged. 

That little girl learned to know frustration very well.  She had so many potential talents but the only thing that she was ever encouraged in was trying to appear "normal".  She was very, very good at reading from a very young age and lost herself in a world of books by many authors (including one on this board.)  There she learned that different could mean special not broken and that maybe the world could actually accept her for who she was.  It was a wonderful difference from the discouraging and hateful words that often filled her daily life, including from people who were supposed to love her. 

She had a singing voice but struggled with rhythm and of course being a singer was not a practical profession...neither was acting, or writing...the things she actually loved doing and maybe would have had a chance of making it if actual training had been given.  So upon reaching adulthood she finally was able to join a local semi-professional theater company, get positively acknowledged in the local papers, and then have to quit because she had to get a second job.

She was good with computers, largely because she was told to learn typing so people would not have to read her horrible handwriting and has the sort of mind that assimilates concepts rapidly.  She had an early knack for programing and wanted to take further classes but kept being told to wait for another year...until the field left her completely behind.

Her focus in school was on learning to appear normal...dumb down her strengths and camoflauge her weaknesses until she looked like every other drone...dreams were something to be immediately squashed and broken

She used to be painfully shy not because it was her nature but because the world had stomped so hard and often on her individuality that she had learned to be ashamed of it.

So she sang quietly to her self but never believed she was any good, wrote stories but showed them to no one. 

She was a desperately unhappy child always afraid that someone would see through the facade she had been forced to build, always working on a new mask.

She loved animals because there was never a need to hide with them...she loved music, video, games, books, being outdoors, anything and everything that let her escape from the constant and oppressive *assault* of reality.

She was a sensitive child who cared about others and then learned it only got her hurt and betrayed....yet still kept trying.

She considered ending it, but she was far to stubborn for that...she refused to surrender and made a vow to herself that she would not give in.  She would not let people who set out to destroy her have the satisfaction of winning.

This little girl eventually grew up, she left that town full of hate and pain, she found new friends people who did not ridicule her at every turn and reaffirmed that every single interest she had was not worthy only of mockery...every opinion she had was not wrong.  It is still hard for her to trust people, she has been through far to much, but she slowly learned to peal away the layers one by one.

She found new role models and started to unearth the shattered remnants of her dreams.  Maybe it was far to late to ever be famous or successful in any way her family would acknowledge but she vowed to stop being ashamed of herself, to embrace acting, singing, and writing as wonderful hobbies that she wishes were more but probably would never be.  She hiked the grand canyon because it was a tangible achievement.  She learned to drive a car even if it was a far years later then most.  At first it was hard to pick up a karaoke microphone, give a speech, lead a group, step on a stage or show anyone something she had written...the newest illusion is one of confidence something that becomes a little more real every day.

Eight years ago she picked up her very first MMO, she made a decision for herself that she wanted to be a hero and that she would not be afraid of joining an online community...and they accepted her.  They did not care that she got lost easily on maps, they laughed with her at typos, they affirmed that video games were not just a childish pastime...after a hard day npc and player alike were there with a word of thanks.

When she needed to get rid of anger, this young woman could find a villain worthy of destruction.

When the weather was awful outside or she was sick the vistas of paragon city provided a wonderful place to explore.

When she could not seem to do anything right there was always a successful mission.

When she needed a friend...her real life friends and husband were on the same team because she had successfully shared something she loved and had it echoed rather then being ridiculed or ashamed.

Today I am no longer that little girl.  It would be impossible to heal every scar without losing the sensitivity and compassion that are so much a part of me.  But I have come a very long way toward paving over that road of pain.  My life is far from perfect but before this announcement about City of Heroes I was happy.  I am very proud to be a gamer and a member of the wonderful community that is city of heroes.

City of Heroes may not be the source of that healing but it has been a true and lasting inspiration...and the people of this community are among those who have given me the courage and strength to start making something of my life.

So here I stand before you...stripped of my armor, acknowledging my flaws...and why I will fight  till the bitter end for a game.  Because City of heroes IS far more then a game.  It is a community, where I am accepted....and can be the hero....I have always *wished* I could be.

Your story is just as valid, just as important, as any other here. So yes, here you stand, stripped of armor, acknowledging flaws, and to that I say: thank you.

* DrakeGrimm offers QuantumHero a great big hug

I found out 2 years ago I was transgender it came as a shock to me because I was raised to be homophobic and to be like every other straight man my parents and most of my family don't know yet but all my friends know and this game has let me be me my friends on City of Heroes treated me like a girl and it means the world to me that they mean the world to me and i wouldn't know how to take it if I lost touch with them i would die i was actually thinking of suicide before I got into this game because if I came out to my parents I would be homeless this game brings me a piece of mind that I need in my life i literally couldn't live without this game.

Vee, believe me when I say I know exactly how you feel. Also, punctuation. Please. Gods. Punctuation. :P

* DrakeGrimm offers Vee a great big hug, too.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2012, 01:52:56 PM »
Drake.  Crystal Says Hi!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10207725@N08/8015469548/

EDIT:  For some reason I cannot get the photo to display in the message.  But the link to the photo is above!

Thanks for sharing Obsidian. Excuse me while I go find those onion chopping ninjas and throttle them. ;)

* DrakeGrimm offers Obsidian a great big hug, too.

EventHorizonMan

• Minion
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2012, 04:52:07 PM »
I can't even come remotely close to what I've read here. For all of you who have posted how much City Of Heroes helped you and your family during the tough times, you were all heroes long before you started playing one on the game. You have my respect and admiration.

My tale is no so impressive or epic. All I can say is I have a personality flaw that makes me afraid to tackle tough problems or make hard choices when needed. In the face of those things I would put it off, or simply not do them at all. This sometimes led to disasterous outcomes. That was before City of Heroes. That was before I began to say, in the face of these real life challenges, "What would Event Horizon Man do?".

My alter-ego is a defender, and quite squishy, so he'd die a lot as a result. Yet, whether on a solo or in a team mission, he'd always (well, with the help of his player) overcome these tough odds. He'd keep running right on back to the mission door and keep at it until the mission was done. In my eyes, he was persistence personified. Almost like Wile E. Coyote, except Event eventually caught the road runner.

(TMI Alert on the way! If you are squishy like a defender on stuff like body functions, stop reading!)

One time after a "number 2" to the men's room, I noticed some blood, and it didn't happen once, it happened every time I went. As per my personality flaw about being fearful and afraid to tackle the things that needed to be tackled, I was going to consider just ignoring it. Maybe it was nothing. Maybe it was just something I ate. It will fix itself. Or perhaps not. Maybe it's cancer, maybe a bowel blockage, or a rupture. In that moment of fear and doubt I was paralyzed and my mind was racing. Out of that racing a silly and irrational phrase popped up in my head:

"What would Event Horizon Man do?"

We think silly things in moments like this, and it could have just been a mental ramble born out of nervousness. But this one stuck. What would Event Horizon Man do? Well, he certainly would not have let fear stop him. He's persistence personified. He would find out the cause of the problem, keep at it and at it until he knew the answer and got it fixed. I found asking that question a few times helped me get a handle on it, and try to come up with the next course of action. That next course of action was a trip to the doctor, followed by a long wait to see a gastrointestinal specialist. But that's okay, as long as I keep that question framed in my mind, the wait was not so bad. It even got me through the colonoscopy, which for obvious reasons is a scary thing but really not as bad as my fearful nature made it.

The colonoscopy found two small harmless polyps, and one hemorrhoid fairly up the pipe that was the source of the bleeding. All three were removed and I was given a clean bill of health. No more blood during a Number 2.

That little "Event Horizon Man" inside me helped me get through this tough time. "He" was that part of me I always had, but it was buried. The game helped unearth and personify that trait into something I can visualize.

That was the first time I ever used that kind of introspection to tackle a problem, but it wouldn't be the last. Whether it was a project at work, or a difficult situation with my friends and family, I'd ask myself, "What would Event Horizon Man do?". and I'd get something I could start with in order to get the problem done. I'm still a bit of a "fraidy cat" when it comes to tackling things but now I got someone at my back.

And he does not live in the character selection screen. He's right here in my head, and my heart. He's me.

Event Horizon Man

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2012, 10:29:11 PM »
The colonoscopy found two small harmless polyps, and one hemorrhoid fairly up the pipe that was the source of the bleeding. All three were removed and I was given a clean bill of health.

Good on you. The uncertainty can be the most terrifying thing, and you faced it.
@Vulpy
Protector Server