Author Topic: Testimonials  (Read 45408 times)

Ultraviolets

Re: Testimonials
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2012, 12:49:07 AM »
All of the stories here are so touching, I've honestly never read so many enthusiastic stories from anyone relating to a game before. Thank you, Ms. Lackey, for starting this thread and all of your support (and that goes for everyone, too!). Thank you to everyone for sharing everything this game has meant to you as well!

I really do not have much of a story to tell as I've only been playing for about 3 years. CoH has been a wonderful way for me to deal with two diseases I have, type 1 diabetes and celiac disease. These two combined cause me to get pretty sick every so often, and City of Heroes has really helped me forget these feelings of illness. I was worried about joining teams after the attitude of players in the MMOs I have played in the past, where people tended to be rather hostile. I also did not want my medical problems interfering with group activities, so I have tended to be a loner in this game for awhile, mainly playing with my boyfriend and another friend. However, since Issue 20 or so, I've begun to volunteer to help out teams needing people to run TFs and also trying out iTrials and really am enjoying the community and realizing how many great people there are. The only thing I wish is that I began to involve myself earlier to make some friends, but sometimes things just work out that way. Right now I'm working on trying to join teams, SFs, join the vigil and experience the game as much as possible no matter what may happen in the future.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2012, 02:39:27 AM »
This is for my grand daughter who I call Bean.

She is 10 now and has never had a single year that was without drama from a male figure in her life - except me - I am her Papa. She was 1 and her father "dropped" her breaking her right wrist. He left her and mom and moved from Michigan to Texas. She has never received so much as a birthday card from him.

Then my daughter married a guy who seemed a good guy and appeared to love my grand daughter as his own and I hoped against hope as parents do that they would live happy and forever. I was wrong. It turned out he had a drug problem brought about by working in a factory that caused his back and knees to ache. Within a year I was buying my daughter groceries as any money I gave them ended up buying drugs. Several years passed until my daughter saw the damge being done and left him.

My daughter found a new guy who was wealthy and hard working and unknown to us was also an ex-con who was basically insane. He tried every way possible to control my daughter and separate her from her family and isolate her - not all at once but step by step like Worm tongue. During this time he also on a regular basis was mentally abusing my grand daughter. Being called stupid, a loser and every other hateful thing under the sun - took an outgoing 10 year old girl who got straight A's in school to sad loner who was failing 4th grade.

One day while at our house she watched me play City of Heroes, now I have been playing since the game began but she never really understood we were HEROES. She saw me battling a monster and defeat him. For the first time she said, "Can I play?" I said of course and we spent the next 3 hours building a character and playing the game. I watched and coached her a bit and she played. I listened to her laugh - a real from the belly laugh and I realized to my horror it had been YEARS since I had heard her laugh like this and I nearly cried and had to leave the room for a moment.

I won't talk about the way we got the family out from under this monster. I will talk about my 10 year old hero standing beside her Papa fighting back against this live-in monster as she walked out of hell. She yelled at him and told him he was hateful and a horrible dad and that they would never go back to him. I was never more proud in my life of anyone and her spirit was bent but not broken.

My grand daughter then helped us get back her 2 year old sister who had been kidnapped by the father's family. She helped open the door and unbuckle the seat belts, when we had accidentally saw her sister at a McDonald's sitting in the car eating with one of the grand parent kidnappers. I ran interference and she helped her mom get the rest of the family back. Ten years old is young to have walked in the fires of hell and yet this game helped her learn she can fight back and defeat the monsters.

It also showed me the laughter that was missing from her soul and now I will spend every day working to keep the laughter loud and long and I thank this game for as long as it lasts for the bond we shared that was already strong now becoming a thing of legend. She now has a tale to tell her sister as she gets older in how she helped save her from the kidnappers.

I now have a 10 year old who is my hero.

darkskye

• Minion
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2012, 05:22:55 AM »
Wow

zoser

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2012, 05:45:46 AM »
It is truly humbling to see how many real heroes are playing this game - I really admire your courage, almost everyone here has gone through adversity I am not sure I could have coped with. The only good thing (silver lining, folks!) coming out of this mess is that I got to realize how wonderful this unique community really is and how many amazing individuals are part of it.

My hat's off to each and every one of you!

Zos

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2012, 08:41:24 AM »
OK here is what else you can do.

Those of you who have posted in the Testimonials thread: Most if not all of you have children with issues or issues yourselves.

Write a similar letter to Dr. Yoon.  As the North American liaison she certainly has a good command of English.  Then tell her you are posting your letter to every board you can for whatever group you fall under, be it parents with autistic children, ADHD, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, MS, Chronic Pain, St Jude's Hospital....every single one. 

Then do it.  For heaven's sake, parents with autistic children will grasp at anything that offers them a little hope of bringing the kids back to the world, and this game has demonstrated it at least once IT CAN DO THAT and NOW they are yanking it away?  People with Chronic Pain, CFS, all the other things you folks are laboring under are dying to find something that will help a little, and this is a lifeline and it is being pulled!

We want the glaring hot eye of the mundane world on them....and they will get it.

I can't make those posts for you.  I'm just the messenger.  YOU are the message.  Sound it loud and clear.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

TheFlea

• Minion
  • The Grandfather of Spine/SRs in PvP.
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »

morganafiolett

• Underling
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »
After my mother died, I was severely depressed. I spent a long time barely coping. One year later, for Christmas - yes, my mother died just after Christmas - my family gave me a PC. My father said it was one of the last things she asked him to do, make sure I had a decent computer.

My brother had put it together, and had pre-installed City of Heroes because he thought my boyfriend might be interested in it. Not me, so much - I had never played an MMO, and was expecting to play things like The Sims on it - but as soon as I saw the character creator I was hooked. I elbowed my boyfriend out of the way and made my first character.

I quickly claimed my brother's buddy key, and subscribed my first account within a week. (Within the next few weeks, I would fill all available character slots, and subscribe my second account within a few months. My boyfriend also subscribed, of course!)

Shortly after I had started playing, I was running around Atlas Park alone, on one of my new heroes, taking on a bunch of evil gang members and watching my health slide to worryingly low levels, thinking I had bitten off more than I could chew and what happens when you get defeated in this game? A sudden green light enveloped my character, as if from nowhere, and my health bar was suddenly refilled! Delightedly, I finished off the evil gangsters, and turned around to find out where that green light had come from.

Hovering above me was a character in white, a character I would later find out was quite beloved amongst our EU community.

Mother's Love.

I cried. It was as if my mother had been brought back to me, just for a moment, by an anonymous player in a computer game. A player who took their time to help others, for the sheer kindness of it.

That's when I fell in love with City of Heroes, and the beautiful, astonishing, loyal and friendly community playing it.

I have made real friends through this game. I have loved, laughed, and mourned here. I have created, survived, and been victorious here. When my real life was mundane and when I was struggling to make it through the day, in Paragon City I could fly, I could save the world.

That's why we need to save this world. Save City of Heroes.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »
If you wish to know someone, give them a tool for creation. We breathe, we draw, we build, we act, we write, we live. Our expressions betray our deepest thoughts, our darkest fears, and our brightest hopes.

It behooves the creators to seek themselves in the reflection cast by the mirror of the creations.

Today, I believe most people would say that I'm someone others would be glad to call a friend. I'm active in my community. I study hard and do what I can to keep myself healthy. I like to think of myself as quick-witted and generally of pleasant affect.

Seven years ago, most of that wasn't true. I was afflicted with what was then called "clinical depression." That was almost certainly true; I certainly engaged in several self-destructive behaviors and ideated several more. But admitting it to myself became an excuse to me. I let those words, that diagnosis, mar my view of myself. It became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I did what I often did in those days when faced with deep trauma: I ran. I hid from it as best I could, seeking sanctuary in escapism, alcohol, and generally asocial behavior. I was, like many young men in modern America, vastly underachieving in every axis because I had been told I was special, then thrown into an uncaring world without a keen knowledge of what it would take to stand on my own and make my way forward.

So, in all that time I was hiding from the world, I did what came naturally. I created. I daydreamed. I tinkered, trying to give life to ideas and ideals that remained unsatisfyingly ephemeral. One of the things I created was a level 1 Magic Origin Dark Miasma/Energy Blast Defender with a sulky black and blue costume. I didn't have time to be wounded, to be lost. The world, with its insistence, resisted that. But he, a costumed hero, could. He could be dark and haunted and, yes, even snide while still holding to the core of his ideals: there was good, there was evil, and there was a line between that should not ever be crossed at the risk of one's soul and spirit.

Then, I grew. A mentor at work sat me down and told me, point blank, that he expected more out of me than I was giving. Another person pointed out to me all the ways that my willingly-ignorant selfishness was hurting other people. I remained chained to my job, to my social circle, but those things began to feel like burdens. I'd become aware of my shortcomings and filled with an ache to do better. I needed a new start.

So I began to work in a pharmacy. My roommate moved out and we drifted out of touch. I changed apartments. Then, I woke up one January morning with a sense of resolve I hadn't had before. I was hurting people. I was hurting myself. And I needed to stop. I stopped buying bourbon. I began looking for challenges at work--I had a chance to put my past behind me and try to move on. And, surrounded by people that hadn't known me at my worst, I was free to be my best.

I enjoyed the game. I kept the game. And among my growing stable of characters, I kept that one creation as others churned out of and into oblivion. I kept refining the ideas, the story, oblivious of the tension in my psyche that had created him. His powers and his bleak outlook became the function of an extradimensional entity that had been forcibly implanted into him. It was a dark and cold thing that would drag his soul down, clawing and scratching into him for any foothold in the world. It was unknowable. It was inscrutible. It was a source of power and a burden. More than anything else, it simply was. It wasn't something to be reasoned with. It was something to be understood simply so it could be beaten.

Somewhere along the way, I began to discover that I had a knack for working with the public. Even when I was stressed, I discovered that I could be expressive enough to win empathy from the most demanding patients in a very short timeframe. My linguistic and mathematical skills began to show through. My nonlinear thinking meant I sometimes looked past the obvious, but I could improvise solutions to unusual problems. And people began asking me: "Why don't you go to pharmacy school?"

I was ashamed to tell them that I, in my self-destructive fugue, had never finished my undergraduate degree.

Somewhere in the midst of that, the game added user-generated content. I had also discovered that people enjoyed reading what I'd written, so I tried my hand at that. I came back to my old friend, the depressive Miasmist. Over time, and through my daydreams alone, his melancholic demeanor became a facade for a foppish playboy actor. That, in turn, became a facade for a man with no other allies in a war against an enemy that turned all of his own darkness against him.

Then, something amazing happened. In the story I'd written for him, with duplicity, strength of will, and--most importantly--trust in a greater hero than he was, he found a way to fight back. By the conclusion of the arc, the nature of the relationship between himself and the entity within had completely changed: its primal, unfocused energy could be channeled to positive ends relatively safely.

I believe it was the very next year that I went back to my alma mater, hat in hand, and asked all the people I'd embarrassed myself in front of there what I'd have to do to finally earn the honors degree I'd managed to deny myself. It took honesty, strength of will, and--most importantly--others placing trust in me to be a greater person than I was. And, over the next year, I finished an undergraduate research project unlike any other that had been attempted at the school to date.

I'm currently enrolled in a doctorate program, and I'm seeking a Masters of Public Health as well. I know now, through bitter experience, the worth of health--physical, mental, and spiritual--and the joy that comes with opportunities to succeed. I want to share those lessons with others, and I want to give others the chances to flourish that I have had.

People still enjoy my writing, but I don't write because of gnawing angst anymore. I've found ways to channel that unfocused energy to positive ends rather than let it consume me. But one day--maybe when I'm out of school, maybe when I retire--I just might go back and revisit that story. One day, if you read a modern horror novel about a foppish playboy actor whose body acts as a host for oily-slick emotional dolor incarnate, think of me. When he grows to accept his sins with such humility that his guilt can not be used against him, think of me. And when he tells the blackness within that it will not rule him, think of me.

Then, mention that you read this story here when you contact me. I'll be glad to sign your copy.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

darkskye

• Minion
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2012, 06:12:06 PM »
OK here is what else you can do.

Those of you who have posted in the Testimonials thread: Most if not all of you have children with issues or issues yourselves.

Write a similar letter to Dr. Yoon.  As the North American liaison she certainly has a good command of English.  Then tell her you are posting your letter to every board you can for whatever group you fall under, be it parents with autistic children, ADHD, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, MS, Chronic Pain, St Jude's Hospital....every single one. 

Then do it.  For heaven's sake, parents with autistic children will grasp at anything that offers them a little hope of bringing the kids back to the world, and this game has demonstrated it at least once IT CAN DO THAT and NOW they are yanking it away?  People with Chronic Pain, CFS, all the other things you folks are laboring under are dying to find something that will help a little, and this is a lifeline and it is being pulled!

We want the glaring hot eye of the mundane world on them....and they will get it.

I can't make those posts for you.  I'm just the messenger.  YOU are the message.  Sound it loud and clear.

I wouldn't really know where else to post the message, with the exception of one CFS forum I used to frequent.

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »
I wouldn't really know where else to post the message, with the exception of one CFS forum I used to frequent.

I have something of the same problem - since I'm not a member of most of the autism support groups due to fundamental disagreements on how science and peer review work. (In other words, I'm an evil abusive parent because I vaccinate my kids and think that homeopathy is about as effective as waving a magic wand. Yes, I've been told that. For some reason, I just don't find that attitude very supportive.)
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2012, 10:06:05 PM »
/em sarcasm on

There's this great new thing called Google.  You type what you want to find in it, and wow, it comes up with a big list!

/em sarcasm off

You don't have to believe in any of that woo woo nonsense to post ONCE in a forum.  I do it all the time.  Sign up, or post as a guest, make one post of the information you want to get out, and poof, gone.  Never worry about it again.  But every time you do that you increase the odds that someone else will find something useful and our message gets out.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2012, 08:09:44 AM »
Yes, Mother. ;)

It's also going out in the mail on Monday, now that my printer is working again.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »
Wow, several of these have made me cry as well... I had no idea how much good this game (and its community) have wrought.

My story isn't that remarkable, but I wanted to share it because I love this game and this community, and I'll do anything to help save it.

May 2004. I had moved back to Michigan (where I grew up) after three years in Ohio doing my doctoral coursework. Three years being many, many hours away from my friends and family. My wife and I were staying with my best friend Tim, and he told me about this new game called "City of Heroes" that he and several other of my gamer friends had started playing. He invited me to use his account while he was at work, and give the game a try. I was hooked from the moment I hit the costume creator. When August came, and my wife and I moved to where I'd begin my first post-doc teaching assignment, he helped me get my account up and running until I got my first paycheck and could take over payment on my own.

For me, CoH was a way to still be with the friends back home, a way to still be connected to them and "hang out." We played on weekends for months, and then, one by one, they started to get bored with the game and move on to other pursuits. By the end of my second year in the game, no one I knew was still playing it.

I don't make friends easily. My wife has always amazed me by how easily she can find and bond with a group whenever we'd go to a new town, whereas I'd be lucky to find anyone I could bond like that with. So when my friends left for other games, I spent a lot of time alone. I'd watch the chat on the global channels, and wish I was someone who felt comfortable (and was welcome) chatting with the others on my server (Pinnacle, btw).

Then came w00t Radio. I saw a post in the forums that a streaming radio station was covering Cuppa Jo's going-away party when she was leaving CoH, and I decided to a) hop on the test server for the gathering, and b) tune in to w00t. I'd done radio off and on since I was 15, and when I saw that w00t was looking for DJs, I applied. Several months earlier, I had fallen in love with the "The Radio" missions in CoV, and had decided on a whim to actually voice them. I put them online, created a page for them, and posted about it on the forums. The guy who ran w00t, Jester, had heard them and told me they'd serve as my "demo" and let me join w00t as a DJ. I had two shows, a soundtrack program called The Theatre of the Mind, and a classic rock program called The School of Rock.

w00t brought me a whole new group of friends, some associated with the radio station, some who just listened and liked what they heard. I traveled to New York to offer my DJ services to Jester when he got married, and later journeyed to Chicago to help two listener-friends celebrate their marriage (they met in-game). I've also been fortunate enough to meet several others that I first got to know in the game as well.

But, again, time whittled away the group. By the time Freedom launched, there were four of us who still made a point to get together every week: Dark Lu, Red Crow, Aldrazar, and myself. When my mother passed away after a year-long battle with cancer, those three gentlemen (they would scoff at me using that word to describe them, but it's accurate) helped keep me sane, and gave me a place to vent, to cry, and helped me channel my grief and my anger in a way that didn't hurt anyone (except the 5th Column).

I'm still in contact with almost everyone I've made friends with through the game, and because of CoH, and w00t, I'm now co-owner of my own streaming radio station. I'm on-air even as I type this (between talk-breaks). I can't count the ways CoH has enriched my life... the people, the stress relief, the community, the developers... I'm indebted to everyone in ways I'll never be able to repay.

When I read the announcement that NCsoft was intending to shut down CoH, I broke down and cried. November 30th is three days before the one-year anniversary of my mother's death, and I knew right then and there that that anniversary would be 100 times more difficult to bear without my lifeline to my other world, and my friends there. I'm hoping beyond hope that something can thwart that deadline, for a lot of reasons.
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2012, 02:32:08 PM »
You each have touched me greatly with your testimonials. There isn't one that isn't "special" and that isn't worth reading/knowing. Thank you.

I'd like to share mine, if I may:

I started playing I guess in September 2005. So this marks the seventh year for me. When I first started, I was on the Champions server because I had loved playing the Champions PnP game so it just seemed to fit. However, I soon learned that I wanted to RP more and found that the Virtue server was the place to go.

Fastforward a few months when I was standing in Atlas Park and learned that an RP SG was recruiting. I figured, "What the heck?" and joined. It was a fun SG and we all enjoyed each other's company. But it was there that I met Eddie and Julie (names changed to protect them. :) ) They were boyfriend and girlfriend living in the South. Oddly, they were fairly quiet. They teamed, chatted every now and then... but they weren't the personalities that you would spot in the room the moment you entered it. But I could tell they were good people so we conversed a lot via PMs and such.

When the SG was fading fast, we stayed in touch via Global handles. As the years went on, our friendship grew stronger... so much so that they convinced me that we should try Team Chat via Ventrillo. I thought, "Um...okay." I don't like my recorded voice, so I was hesitant to share it with the world. But it was so cool to hear their voices and it really adds a whole new aspect. These players are now made more REAL to me. They're not just a collection of pixels. They're people...and we hit it off even more. I admit their southern accents hooked me as well. And Julie...well she had this laugh that was so infectious. The kind that even a little giggle would have me chuckling. Very little-girl-like and as sweet as sugar. I loved hanging out with these two and it put a whole new outlook on the game.

Fast-forward again... and I hadn't seen either of them in a few weeks. So, when Eddie logged on, I was thrilled to talk to him.

Me: "Hey stranger! What's the good word?"
Eddie: "Hey there. I've been trying to get a hold of you."
Me: "Why? What's up?"
Eddie: "I wanted to let you know that Julie passed."

Okay, now you have to understand that Julie was in her mid-thirties...so when I heard she passed, my response was:

"Passed what?" (I thought perhaps she was taking a test for a promotion at work or for night school).
Eddie: "Ted, she's gone."

It still didn't hit me. Gone? Gone where? These two were head-over-heels in love. Where would she go? Yes, I didn't get as many responses from Julie via Facebook, but I just had figured she was busy.

Well, it turns out that Eddie was going to head to the store while Julie was taking a nap on the couch. He went to wake her, to see if she wanted something from the store. The thing was: she didn't wake up. You see... the migraine headaches were masking something more serious. Julie had an aneurysm. And it burst. She died instantly. Painlessly. She just logged out.

It hit me then. Hard. It was as if somebody had mustered all of his strength and slammed me into my chest. I couldn't breathe. No, I thought. That's not right. She didn't die. She's our team healer. She makes sure nobody in the team dies. She makes me laugh with just a giggle. She always made sure I was safe whenever we teamed. She's not gone.

After a long, tear-filled phone call with Eddie, I learned all the details. Here we were, over two thousand miles apart, and all I wanted to do was go there and hug him. Two grown men and we were like brothers. Even though we had never met.

Even now when I see Julie's name on my Global Friend list, I still expect it to turn from dark green to light green someday. It's still hard to fathom. But I rest easier knowing that she shared my Christian faith and that we will see each other again someday. And I'll be able to not just /em hug, but offer a real hug.

And to those who say that City of Heroes is just a game? Well, it's no more "just a game" than a family is "just a group of people."

City of Heroes has to remain. Because I know there are more Julies on there I have yet to meet. I have more Eddies to hang out with. And I want to be the one who makes others laugh with my chuckle.

I hope NCSoft will reconsider, for all that's moral.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2012, 02:36:12 PM »
And to those who say that City of Heroes is just a game? Well, it's no more "just a game" than a family is "just a group of people."

...and that's it. In just two sentences, that is everything.

...now if only these damnable ninjas would stop chopping onions when I read this thread... *sniffle*
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »
I think another group hug is in order.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Jerlstrom

• Underling
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2012, 01:26:16 AM »
I saw my psychiatrist today.  He said that City of Heroes sounded like a good occupation for me.  I don't think he's a gamer, so I'm impressed.

Back to trying to decide what to say to Apple.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2012, 03:47:33 AM »
It takes tremendous courage to open up about some of these issues - even if we are all "sort of" anonymous. I applaud all of you.

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2012, 03:52:02 AM »
It takes tremendous courage to open up about some of these issues - even if we are all "sort of" anonymous. I applaud all of you.

...interestingly enough, I don't consider this 'anonymous' at all, for me. I've been referring to myself as 'Grimm' both in game and out for the past eight years as a result of the tremendous community and deep friendships City has given me. I now answer to it faster than my 'real' name.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Cococabana

• Underling
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2012, 04:33:29 AM »
I don't have a dramatic, or even semi-poignant, story to tell about this game. I just love it. It was my first MMO, I joined after Issue 4.  I was looking around for a game to play at Best Buy. I'd seen EverQuest, but it didn't really appeal to me, and I had no experience at all with WoW. When I saw a box for a superhero MMO, I snapped it up (as a life-long comic book junkie, no big surprise).

Previously, I'd talked with a friend who'd played EverQuest, and he told me about one of his co-workers who had gotten so wrapped up in that game that he'd play it at work, on the clock.  I couldn't believe someone could get THAT hooked into a computer game.

Well, I did get hooked. Not THAT bad, where I'd try to sneak in a game at work, but CoH did get its hooks into me, and I remember the moment I realized how deep those hooks were.

I wind up fielding calls in the office sometimes. One day, about a month or two after I'd started playing CoH, my boss was out of the office for a customer meeting when a call came in for him. My response- "I'm sorry, he's out on a mish right now."

I kind of choked a little bit when I realized what I said. There was silence from the phone, before I managed to sputter out - "I mean, he's out of the office for a meeting!" for which I got a grudging response that the caller would try again later.

Yep, at that moment I realized that CoH had hooked me good, and I didn't mind a bit.

I only have 2 level 50s, but that's largely because I have chronic alt-itis, I'm more interested in creating new characters with their own backstories to play, rather that chasing goalposts.

I've been an on-and-off player. Since I started with CoH, I've also played many other MMOs, including super hero themed games like DCUO and Champions Online. But I keep coming back to CoH.  All the other MMOs I've played feel like workouts, that the only purpose in playing is to level.

CoH always feels like a party.