Author Topic: Maybe a really dumb question, buuut...  (Read 1996 times)

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
Maybe a really dumb question, buuut...
« on: September 10, 2012, 08:03:51 AM »
So there's been discussion about finding someone to buy the right to CoH. There's been talk about needing to find a company that would support it properly, etc. Something occurs to me though:

Has anyone considered talking to some of the former heads of Paragon Studios? I mean, if we consider the idea of using crowdfunding to revive City of Heroes, in all seriousness, who would be better to own it, than the very people who have poured their heart and soul in to this game for .. well, for some of them 8+ years! They would also be likely to know the ins and outs of what they would need, and quite possibly also be able to find some 'real' investors for the game.

Crowd funding to buy the IP rights, then if needed investors to back getting it up and running. Unlike if we (the players) bought it, the investors would see that the IP rights were in the hands of people who know what they're doing, and that it has a strong fanbase behind it- many of whom are frothing at the bit for the game to come back online because they are waiting for their (Kickstarter?) rewards!

As much as I love the idea of the game being a 'coop' where anyone with a subscription is an 'owner' of the game, there are a lot of issues with that.. yet putting it int he hands of much of any game company is going to bring any number of risks with it as well.

Premmy

• Underling
Re: Maybe a really dumb question, buuut...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 09:35:22 AM »
I don't know for sure but I do believe the Heads of paragon Studios are hamstringed by NDAs a the moment. I don't know what exactly we can do on our end to properly cooperate with Paragon besides campaigning to the outside world and maybe privately feeding them ideas and info and such.

jacknomind

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:23:20 AM »
...There's been a lot of 'reading between the lines taken as fact' going on.  The best assumptions are the safest ones -- raising awareness of our and their love of the game can't hurt anyone, but we can't rely on any of the developers to not seek new jobs (even we advocates must admit that in the end, that might turn out to have been the best course), nor can they provide us any information about their contracts or the properties of NCSoft.

If we could acquire Paragon Studios entirely, today, things might look a little different.  But even in my wildest dreams for crowdfunding we'd manage less than a tenth of the money we'd need.

If only Virgin Interactive was still around...

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 01:03:16 PM »
Anyone know Richard Branson?  He is kind crazy cool, after all? ;)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

jacknomind

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »
Which is why I wished his enterprise still did video games.  ;p