Author Topic: So just an idea, kinda stupid, but an idea nonetheless.  (Read 6150 times)

Premmy

• Underling
So just an idea, kinda stupid, but an idea nonetheless.
« on: September 07, 2012, 11:45:43 AM »

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
Re: So just an idea, kinda stupid, but an idea nonetheless.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 01:58:59 PM »
At a glance, this seems like an idea that could have real legs, especially if the code could be efficiently produced. Why not tie the CoH IP to a social medium of some sort? Wave of the future and all that--maybe mention it in a letter to a potential future publisher, like, oh, I don't know, Valve.

@Vulpy
Protector Server

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 02:57:01 PM »
First glance - I like this idea. It's got potential. I'll consider it further when I've had more time to wake up. (Yes, I know I've been up for two hours. That doesn't mean my brain is firing on all cylinders yet.)
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Olantern

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 04:54:52 PM »
Hmm.  This sounds as if it might have potential.

One thing that's been worrying me as we discuss the idea of a subscriber-owned game in other threads has been the fact that subscriptions aren't the main source of game revenue any more, even in (existing) CoH.  THis concept circumvents some of those problems.

It also might give the CoH IP Family of Games (the CoHIPFoG?) some presence outside the gamersphere.  I was telling a nongamer friend the other day about the demise of CoH.  First, I should mention that he, like every other nongamer I've mentioned it to, was astonished that a publisher would shut down a game, period, let alone a game that's earning a profit.  More importantly for this thread's discussion, when I described the shift from subscription to F2P with the release of Freedom, he pointed out that this sort of resembles the way most games for the iPad and the like are sold: the basic game is free, and then you pay for extras.  (I wouldn't know; I'm a Luddite and can't really afford a smartphone or tablet.)  But if we (whoever "we" is) could create a cheap/free, extremely casual-friendly game, there may be an untapped market out there of people we could get interested in the CoH IP as a whole.

Anyway, it's certainly something to consider.

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 06:45:46 PM »
I absolutely love this idea. If it was simple enough to pick up and play casually while waiting around in every day situations, and it was fun, it could rake in money. Look at Angry Birds. It had no initial audience. Now it has tv commercials and t-shirts. This game would have the initial audience of CoHers, comic book fans, and probably anyone that heard of it and likes the big blockbuster superhero movies. I would gladly get behind such a project to help design the gameplay (which I think would need to be drastically simplified, perhaps based on the CoH TCG that barely printed before being cancelled) and can actually lend some programming to the project if my understanding of android games is correct - that is, if they are indeed coded primarily in java. Even if they aren't, I can certainly help with debugging (and realistically that's probably all the coding work I should do, we have much better people around for that).

I also happen to have a decent sized box of CoH cards collecting dust that might be able to lend some ideas to the game. Mind you, I'm not suggesting we create the android version of the TCG. I'm merely suggesting the card game had a necessarily simple (ish) structure that might be worth examining for creating a mobile/casual game.

Side note, I would probably spend enormous amounts of time playing such a casual/mobile game.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

agentq

• Boss
  • Founder of Infinity's Anointed Brotherhood PVP SG
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:39:18 PM »
I really like this idea. In fact if CoH survives in anyways outside of NCSoft. This should be something we implement. In the event 'we' own the IP, and have access to the Databases, I think we could even take this Mobile game app a step further and actually have the characters connected to your MMO characters as well.

For instance if you have an account already, login, select server, and character OR create a new character.
New account, create account, select a server and Create a Character.

All XP and INF earned transfer to character in MMORPG version of game as well.
Costume Designing opportunities. Create your costume on the go, buy new costume pieces etc.
Work on Character back story.

How great would that be to level up your character while waiting for the bus? In between classes? On your lunch break at work, or in the Doctors office waiting room? Or spend that time working on the perfect new costume? Or figuring out your next alt?

Maybe even create different mobile apps, one just for costume design, and another for actual game play in a 2d side scrolling way, or even more retro cool would be to make it a 2d top down view like Super Nintendo RPG games. Recreate our character as 8bit characters. Each app is free or .99 cents, and is chock full of purchasable content.

Love it.

DeProgrammer

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • DePro Depot
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 03:00:38 AM »
[21:44:28] Codewalker: And I'm surprised you haven't posted something in the "just a stupid idea" thread, DeP
[21:44:39] Codewalker: Haven't you been wanting to make a 2D game using the coh power mechanics for a while now?
[21:45:55] DeProgrammer: A very long time!

So it goes without saying that I like the idea, though mine was in more of a top-down RTS direction. I like yours more for the community's and the original game's sake.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 03:54:53 AM »
Let me make the idea even stupider. I've got a *3d* FPS on my Android... can't remember what it's called, and the phone is at the other end of the house right now. But the do exist. Would it not be possible to have some sort of scaled down client which talked to regular game servers? Probably have to have some reduced functionality just because of the lack of screen real estate. But if you could make an MMO client that ran on smartphones, could open up a whole new market.

Even if you can't do a full client, how about clients that only access certain parts of the game? For instance, a client which logs your character on, but only allows you to access the market and your inventory. Or one which allows you to craft only with what's in your inventory or bank. There's a whole "minigame" possible for those who enjoy such things, or for those times when you can't access even a laptop.

Or, for the socially inclined, how about a mobile app that simply accesses the global chat system? That could be kinda fun in its own right. There are a LOT of possibilities out there for tying MMOs in with mobile apps, I don't really think social games need detract from the MMO market at all. MMOs just need to figure out ways to draw in those gamers... the first one's free, man...

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 05:14:56 AM »
Something I've noticed about mobile games: most of them use preset characters. That could be a great way for us to have different tiers of the app:

1.) A free version. This version would have ads on loading screens and would allow only the use of certain signature characters with predefined powers. Additional signature characters could be purchased in some sort of market.

2.) A paid version. No ads, access to custom characters, and the ability to load costume files from your CoX characters.

The app could also have two modes. The first would be a side scrolling PvE adventure that could possibly earn rewards for your CoX account. The second would be a PvP battle against friends or random opponents.

I think a game of this sort is an incredibly good idea. It might even have the side benefit of widening the audience of the MMO itself to people that are casual gamers. CoX is a fairly casual environment, and might appeal to them even though MMOs in general do not.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

judaschrist

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 09:05:23 AM »
just saying, as a lvl 50+ with 7 full trays. i'm hoping the app wouldn't be a direct port. lol

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 12:55:12 PM »
Direct port, no. But if you think about it, how many of those powers do you actually USE on a regular basis? There are a lot of situational powers, then toggles which you if everything goes right hit once and leave running. You'd have to vastly simplify the UI, but there's a LOT of room to simplify. Probably make it so you have one visible power tray, maybe. Yes, it would be a major limitation, might encourage people to try the PC version, yes?

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 01:12:11 PM »
I also happen to have a decent sized box of CoH cards collecting dust that might be able to lend some ideas to the game. Mind you, I'm not suggesting we create the android version of the TCG. I'm merely suggesting the card game had a necessarily simple (ish) structure that might be worth examining for creating a mobile/casual game.

I'm a big fan of not reinventing the wheel. This thought occurred to me so I came in to the thread to post it, only to find it was already here.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Premmy

• Underling
Getting the ball rolling.
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 09:35:06 PM »
So This first post will respond to everyone and I'll double-post(if that's okay) with a more detailed explanation of he idea after.
Quote from: Vulpy
Why not tie the CoH IP to a social medium of some sort?
I think the social aspect of CoH is so extremely important to it that I think we should design this and any other potential App/Mobile/Casual gaming projects with either a built-in chat client or some manner of Twitter-style function to facilitate player communication. yes, even something like a server status check up or a stand-alone costume creator.

Quote from: Vulpy
Wave of the future and all that--maybe mention it in a letter to a potential future publisher, like, oh, I don't know, Valve.
This is actually why I think this idea is relevant at this early stage of our efforts, despite seeming like more of a "Plan Z"-stage idea. If we can craft a proper proposal/pitch concept for this idea to latch on to any efforts we or Paragon studios make to keep the IP and game alive, it would "Sweeten the pot" so to speak, for any potential investors, backers, or companies looking to buy us out, Including NCsoft/Nexxon itself. It would give interested parties the security of investing in a known profit-generating product, and the growth potential of a low-cost, high profit future product.

One of the things I'd want help with is converting this idea into a format that sells well to these types of people. 

Someone who's good at selling ideas or advertising could definitely help out in crafting a pitch for this idea once it's cemented.

Quote from: Olantern
It also might give the CoH IP Family of Games (the CoHIPFoG?) some presence outside the gamersphere.  I was telling a nongamer friend the other day about the demise of CoH.  First, I should mention that he, like every other nongamer I've mentioned it to, was astonished that a publisher would shut down a game, period, let alone a game that's earning a profit.  More importantly for this thread's discussion, when I described the shift from subscription to F2P with the release of Freedom, he pointed out that this sort of resembles the way most games for the iPad and the like are sold: the basic game is free, and then you pay for extras.  (I wouldn't know; I'm a Luddite and can't really afford a smartphone or tablet.)  But if we (whoever "we" is) could create a cheap/free, extremely casual-friendly game, there may be an untapped market out there of people we could get interested in the CoH IP as a whole.
I think one of the biggest problems CoH faced was a complete lack of advertisement. It might be hard to convince anyone else to support the game and an ad campaign with the intention strengthening it. But if we can use this project to advertise City of Heroes(and vice versa) it seems like a win win, create a game that can yield direct profits on it's own whilst increasing the visibility of another game, and thus increasing  it's profitability. Similar to the numerous children's cartoons which, bring in profit from ad revenue, but are also primarily vehicles to advertise toylines.  It's a thing to sell that sells something else.
Quote from: Ampithere
I would gladly get behind such a project to help design the gameplay.........................  and can actually lend some programming to the project if my understanding of android games is correct - that is, if they are indeed coded primarily in java. Even if they aren't, I can certainly help with debugging (and realistically that's probably all the coding work I should do, we have much better people around for that).
I hope you can put your skills to use very soon! ;D
==========(which I think would need to be drastically simplified, perhaps based on the CoH TCG that barely printed before being cancelled)==========

One thing I want to do is recreate the feel of City of Heroes in a different format as a way to ease "crossover" from the purely-casual market and the Hardcore market. City of Heroes is often called "casual friendly" but that's for a certain definition of casual that doesn't necessarily represent the vast majority of "Casual Gamers". It can be a daunting thing for even most hardcore gamers to just jump into. We've all been a noob who needed enhancements explained to us at some point. If we can create a game with all or most of the gameplay and character creation elements of City of Heroes intact in some format, someone can come from one game to the other and pick up things fairly quickly.

This is one of the reasons I wanted to copy over and modify the powers-system and information, a player of the mobile game could create their favorite character in City of Heroes and find it functioning in much the same way they do in the game they are used to, creating a stronger connection(for the player) to the game.

The TCG idea is interesting as it presents an elegant solution to an idea I had to encourage purchase of costume parts.

If we integrated Collectible digital cards as "powers" or enhancements to use in the game, they could be packaged with costume pieces(Like baseball cards and gum) as an incentive to buy the functionally useless costume parts for people who might not otherwise buy them(some people, myself included, will buy  the costume parts anyway, but if we can get everyone to buy them we create something much better.)Both the costume parts and the cards could also be bought individually, of course. This would also set the stage for a new City of Heroes digital TCG down the line.

Quote from: agent1
I really like this idea. In fact if CoH survives in anyways outside of NCSoft. This should be something we implement. In the event 'we' own the IP, and have access to the Databases, I think we could even take this Mobile game app a step further and actually have the characters connected to your MMO characters as well.

For instance if you have an account already, login, select server, and character OR create a new character.
New account, create account, select a server and Create a Character.

All XP and INF earned transfer to character in MMORPG version of game as well.
Costume Designing opportunities. Create your costume on the go, buy new costume pieces etc.
Work on Character back story.

How great would that be to level up your character while waiting for the bus? In between classes? On your lunch break at work, or in the Doctors office waiting room? Or spend that time working on the perfect new costume? Or figuring out your next alt?

I'm not necessarily against this idea but considering how stripped down the mobile game would be the conversion to the proper game might not be as clean and easy as the one from the MMOG to the mobile game, more on this in my second post. Nt a bad idea, just harder to implement. There's also this:

Quote from: agentq
Maybe even create different mobile apps, one just for costume design, and another for actual game play in a 2d side scrolling way............................. Each app is free or .99 cents, and is chock full of purchasable content.

Love it.
I think this is a very important direction to go in. Multiple Apps means multiple sources of possible revenue. If we, say, Create a mobile version of Mids, a Mobile Costume Creator, and find some way to allow connection to the MMO proper, we have multiple products out accomplishing multiple goals. People who might not want to play the mobile game might still want to create a costume/character/build while out of the game proper, and we gain this consumer base by giving them what they want without forcing them to take something they don't want. People who want the whole package will, of course, take the whole thing.
Quote from: agentq
, or even more retro cool would be to make it a 2d top down view like Super Nintendo RPG games. Recreate our character as 8bit characters.
I think a 2d side-scrolling, beat-em up style(but not necessarily a beat-em up) would Suit the project best for a few reasons.
  • Cost: It's cheaper and easier to make different animations for one sprite than it is to make them for a Forwards, backwards, left and right sprite.
  • Functionality: This particular style has already been shown to be highly conducive to multi-player cooperative play and PvP. These are defining aspects of this type of set-up and, with Dungeon fighter online, we have a proven example of it in the MMO market.
  • Visual Quality: With the lighter sprite costs, more attention can be paid to detail, allowing for cleaner animations in, say, a 16-bit style
  • Visual Fidelity: As part of the above, this style would lend itself better to transferring things from the game proper to our hypothetical mobile game. Just enough detail to communicate everything, but still easier and cheap to make.

Quote from: Deprogrammer
[21:44:28] Codewalker: And I'm surprised you haven't posted something in the "just a stupid idea" thread, DeP
[21:44:39] Codewalker: Haven't you been wanting to make a 2D game using the coh power mechanics for a while now?
[21:45:55] DeProgrammer: A very long time!

So it goes without saying that I like the idea, though mine was in more of a top-down RTS direction. I like yours more for the community's and the original game's sake.
Glad to have you aboard! :D

Quote from: The_Hunter_JLJ
Let me make the idea even stupider. I've got a *3d* FPS on my Android... can't remember what it's called, and the phone is at the other end of the house right now. But the do exist. Would it not be possible to have some sort of scaled down client which talked to regular game servers? Probably have to have some reduced functionality just because of the lack of screen real estate. But if you could make an MMO client that ran on smartphones, could open up a whole new market.
I don't necessarily think it would open a new market so much as give a wonderful service to an existing one. The people most likely to play smartphone games don't necessarily want to play MMOs and the People who want to play MMOs most likely have smart phones already. This would be super-convenient for the existing demographic, but not really profitable.

Even if you can't do a full client, how about clients that only access certain parts of the game? For instance, a client which logs your character on, but only allows you to access the market and your inventory. Or one which allows you to craft only with what's in your inventory or bank. There's a whole "minigame" possible for those who enjoy such things, or for those times when you can't access even a laptop.

Or, for the socially inclined, how about a mobile app that simply accesses the global chat system? That could be kinda fun in its own right. There are a LOT of possibilities out there for tying MMOs in with mobile apps, I don't really think social games need detract from the MMO market at all. MMOs just need to figure out ways to draw in those gamers... the first one's free, man...
These are all great avenues to pursue.
Something I've noticed about mobile games: most of them use preset characters. That could be a great way for us to have different tiers of the app:

1.) A free version. This version would have ads on loading screens and would allow only the use of certain signature characters with predefined powers. Additional signature characters could be purchased in some sort of market.

2.) A paid version. No ads, access to custom characters, and the ability to load costume files from your CoX characters.

The app could also have two modes. The first would be a side scrolling PvE adventure that could possibly earn rewards for your CoX account. The second would be a PvP battle against friends or random opponents.

I think a game of this sort is an incredibly good idea. It might even have the side benefit of widening the audience of the MMO itself to people that are casual gamers. CoX is a fairly casual environment, and might appeal to them even though MMOs in general do

I had been considering a more complex Hybrid F2P model for MMOs in general as just a mental exercise, so this is definitely worth exploring. I don't want to completely remove character creation from the capabilities of free players simply because it's such an intrinsic and definitive part of the City of Heroes experience. Limiting it, though, isn't out of the question. We do that already.
Quote from: judaschrist
just saying, as a lvl 50+ with 7 full trays. i'm hoping the app wouldn't be a direct port. lol
I don't really have any plans to include incarnate content or powers in this idea at the moment. That's a can of worms I don't think is very constructive to open just yet.
Direct port, no. But if you think about it, how many of those powers do you actually USE on a regular basis? There are a lot of situational powers, then toggles which you if everything goes right hit once and leave running. You'd have to vastly simplify the UI, but there's a LOT of room to simplify. Probably make it so you have one visible power tray, maybe. Yes, it would be a major limitation, might encourage people to try the PC version, yes?
My original idea was to allow six slots for powers per encounter,  I just went up to one normal power tray to make people more comfortable with the idea. :P

agentq

• Boss
  • Founder of Infinity's Anointed Brotherhood PVP SG
Re: Getting the ball rolling.
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 07:03:27 AM »
I'm not necessarily against this idea but considering how stripped down the mobile game would be the conversion to the proper game might not be as clean and easy as the one from the MMOG to the mobile game, more on this in my second post. Nt a bad idea, just harder to implement.

To be clear, i was thinking the mobile game would be different. The only things that would track would be say AT power selection, and inf and exp earning.

So we have two very different games, but character creation is mostly the same.

Scenario one, mobile to MMO:
You downloaded the mobile game because it gets good reviews, and hell its free. You start the game, create an account, choose a 'server' (this may or may not matter in reality for the actual mobile game, but will be useful for syncing data purposes. ), pick an AT, pick powers, design costume, start game play. Now the Power selections will be the same 'power pools' but the choices will be limited/different for the mobile game. I'm all for limited choices, can't make it too complex or the game play goes out the window.

Say you started a scrapper that was Katana/Regen. You get to pick Katana attacks, maybe not as many. Maybe you only get 4 powers total in this pool. Regen powers you get a new passive, and maybe a few heal clicks, and turn the toggles into passives as well. So the game starts you get one Katana Power, and a regen passive. Regardless if it's a 2d side scroller, a 2d top down rpg, or a 3d mobile fps/rpg/whatever the idea here is the leveling in the mobile app, and power choices and influence game is VERY different then it is in the MMO.

Now game play on the mobile, maybe you level up, maybe you earn influence and exp and use your influence to buy new costume parts in game on the mobile, and your exp allows you to get new powers, and maybe instead of 'slots' your just get flat buffs to each power. Like Katana attack power level 1 / 2 /3 etc. Idea being you're leveling up, but in a much simpler to manage way. No enhancements no power pools etc etc.

So how does this transfer to the MMO? You decide, this Hero business is serious business, so you download the free CoH client. You login with the same account you created on your mobile, you see the same set of servers, you select the server, and what do you know, there's a scrapper Kat/reg named waiting for you, now you'll need to create an MMO costume, since the costumes for the mobile game is unique to just that. Bam you login into atlas and hey you already have all this experience and influence. Talk to Miss Liberty, get your level on, and maybe use that influence to buy some enhancements. (Does anyone really buy enhancements before level 22?) None of the powers you chose in game transfer, except for the first two, which would always be the same between game and MMO.

Scenario two, MMO to Mobile:
So you're a CoH veteran, and you just heard about this awesome mobile game for coh. You download the game, login with existing account and select your server, and your toon you're still building. let's say your toon is a blaster at level 24, fire/nrg. The mobile game starts out with the costume screen. You have to create a mobile toon costume with your first two power choices, and then basically gives you the screen to assign your exp. Choose your powers, choose which powers to increase their levels too. You get your powers all figured out, and now you have the option of using ALL of that influence you had to buy custom mobile costume pieces, maybe mobile 'inspirations' or other mobile swag.

Run a few missions or levels on the mobile game, come back to your character in the MMO and you have more exp and influence, or less influence depending on what you did in the mobile version.  Maybe the mobile version of the game allows you to buy chunks of influence to help you buy new mobile costume parts, or to purchase exclusive mobile costume parts as well. In game market. Could also be used to unlock the new power sets for the mobile game as well as the MMO version.

Scenario three, Character Email gifts:
Probably a more simple idea, is linking just the accounts and having the ability to have a single character claim the rewards from the account email reward window. Earn 2k influence in mobile game, log into any character and claim it. Earn 30k experience, log into any toon and claim it. This could simplify the difficulty of merging the two games, and also making it easier to simplify the depth of the mobile game, literally stripping it down to just sharing account information (using @globals of course) and sharing the spoils from the mobile game too your MMO game. Only one way sharing here, mobile credit can go towards mmo game, but not visa versa.

Other Mobile Application opportunities:
In addition to the mobile Game, we make a mobile costume creator as well. as close to the full costume designer for your mobile phone. But that's all it is, and it's only for the MMO costumes, not the mobile costumes. Maybe allows you to save and email the costumes you create. I would say this app is a purchase app. Also this app allows you to purchase costumes from the MMO market.

Also, we could make a auction house game. You log in to the auction house with your characters, but there's no real character interface except for the market, what your inventory has, and influence, and what you have listed/bought/sold etc. I would make this app a purchase download as well. .99cents.

We could also make a free global app, that allows people to chat and keep in touch with their friends on the go. This should be totally free. Maybe even hook this into Titan's CoH Faces to make a type of CoH Facebook/mobile chat/profile system. Also include a way to take photo's on the go and post them to your CoH faces profile. Similar features to facebook/twitter but in our community and on our platforms.

Conclusion:
Obviously all of this would require owning the IP, and also the game may be complicated. Also my vision of the game is really a single player experience. It really is something you can just pick up and crank through some levels. i'm thinking levels in the sense of Angry Birds, not MMO levels. maybe the free version only has the first level 'pack' .99 cents for each level pack afterwards. It would be like selling crack for people wanting to get their favorite characters leveled up. In theory we could even make an Incarnate version of the game, where you have to already have 50's who have unlocked the incarnate system, and be a VIP member, and instead of exp you gain incarnate points for the levels you pass. Maybe even earn incarnate threads as rewards for passing a level pack (would be the same as a story arch). I'm thinking inline with how DA works currently. Maybe that game isn't free, maybe it's a 5 dollar download, with expansions that cost another dollar for every new set of packs added on. The idea's really are endless if we really get creative.

Olantern

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 08:13:35 PM »
Before this goes too far, a word of caution.  At this point, no one outside of NCSoft (or someone designated by NCSoft) can create anything based on the CoH IP in any way.  NCSoft holds all the rights to CoH, including the right to make derivative works, such as another game.  (Note that this means both the rights to the story of CoH and the right to use the game code and, arguably, systems.)

Thus, while I think this is a fantastic idea to raise revenue and to open up a new market of potential players, at the moment, we non-NCSoft people can't do anything to exploit it.  I know people want to move fast, and there are good reasons to do so.  But the fact remains that creating something based on NCSoft's IP rights, whether something like is being discussed in this thread or a "private server," violates those rights.  That means it opens up whoever develops it to lawsuits, being shut down, and having to pay damages.  The cart is still being put before the horse.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 08:18:29 PM »
Before this goes too far, a word of caution.  At this point, no one outside of NCSoft (or someone designated by NCSoft) can create anything based on the CoH IP in any way.  NCSoft holds all the rights to CoH, including the right to make derivative works, such as another game.  (Note that this means both the rights to the story of CoH and the right to use the game code and, arguably, systems.)

Thus, while I think this is a fantastic idea to raise revenue and to open up a new market of potential players, at the moment, we non-NCSoft people can't do anything to exploit it.  I know people want to move fast, and there are good reasons to do so.  But the fact remains that creating something based on NCSoft's IP rights, whether something like is being discussed in this thread or a "private server," violates those rights.  That means it opens up whoever develops it to lawsuits, being shut down, and having to pay damages.  The cart is still being put before the horse.
Wait, we still need to get our hands on the contract between NCSoft and Cryptic, and up to the last update, NCSoft only did get a license to use the IP for developing CoH and another game, so my understanding here is Cryptic still got the main property here, except if the license grant was exclusive.

We *definitely* need more information about that contract.
Yeeessss....

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 08:28:55 PM »
Wait, we still need to get our hands on the contract between NCSoft and Cryptic, and up to the last update, NCSoft only did get a license to use the IP for developing CoH and another game, so my understanding here is Cryptic still got the main property here, except if the license grant was exclusive.

We *definitely* need more information about that contract.
I'm pretty certain that Cryptic only owns the engine the game runs on.  Everything else was sold to NCsoft when Cryptic sold their stake in the game.  The engine, however, they were still using to develop new games, so they leased the right to use it to NCsoft.  According to the recent Twitch stream from Paragon, that lease was apparently "in perpetuity".
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 08:47:41 PM »
I'm pretty certain that Cryptic only owns the engine the game runs on.  Everything else was sold to NCsoft when Cryptic sold their stake in the game.  The engine, however, they were still using to develop new games, so they leased the right to use it to NCsoft.  According to the recent Twitch stream from Paragon, that lease was apparently "in perpetuity".
Yeah, I mixed them both, but that's still a "lease" as you pointed out.
Yeeessss....