Author Topic: Call to Action: Thank the media  (Read 220670 times)

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss

Rae

• Elite Boss
Re: Call to Action: Thank the media
« Reply #243 on: September 20, 2012, 07:02:48 PM »
--
@Vandellia

Mr. Wentworth

• Lieutenant
  • "I aim to misbehave..."
    • Real World Hero
« Reply #244 on: September 20, 2012, 10:18:45 PM »

EbonHawk

• Underling
« Reply #245 on: September 21, 2012, 07:01:58 AM »
I threw an e-mail to blogger Bill Harris (Dubious Quality) and he's written a wee piece.
Hopefully that'll get what's going on in front of some new eyes.

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/i-have-fond-memories-of-playing-city-of.html

btw, I thoroughly recommend his blog ;)

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #246 on: September 21, 2012, 02:22:47 PM »

Blackgrue

• Lieutenant
« Reply #247 on: September 21, 2012, 04:15:36 PM »
Has anyone tried contacting the people who do Extra Credits? That's not gabe+tycho but it's close, and reaches their audience.
Virtue native

Main characters:
Diz the Goblin
Projekt Redstorm

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #248 on: September 21, 2012, 07:42:39 PM »
Has anyone tried contacting the people who do Extra Credits? That's not gabe+tycho but it's close, and reaches their audience.

I had a post typed for their forum, but it was eaten by the internet. I was thinking of trying to recreate it tomorrow, once I see what "the next big thing" is: the CoH community deserves a reputation for interfacing with real-world issues, which I think would resonate well with the EC crowd.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Blackgrue

• Lieutenant
« Reply #249 on: September 22, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »
Boo-yah. John "Munchkin" Kovalic is on our side.
Virtue native

Main characters:
Diz the Goblin
Projekt Redstorm

ineffablebob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #250 on: September 23, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »
I sent 'em a PM on their forums a week or so ago, never heard back.

Also, RPS has finally put something up.
Skip

Character List
HeroStats Developer
Proud Member of Legion of Valor and Fallen Legion

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #251 on: September 24, 2012, 09:13:41 AM »
http://leperinastrangland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/tensions-in-city-of-heroes-building.html

This blog made me sad. Although I'm poorly, so I'm a bit sad in general and it might not be a sad as it is in my head :-p
--
@Vandellia

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #252 on: September 24, 2012, 01:10:35 PM »
You answered it as well as it could possibly be answered. Let it just be noted that whoever got snarky with Mr Phillips in the first place should be ashamed of themselves.

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:16:30 PM by rae »
--
@Vandellia

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #254 on: September 24, 2012, 04:25:19 PM »
Put quotes around "Save City of Heroes", Rae, that 32 million figure is for individual words. There's only 93,000 mentions of the phrase "Save City of Heroes". You can get to only 93,000... (wink)

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #255 on: September 24, 2012, 07:13:25 PM »
Well, that's slightly less intimidating. But still a really big number :D
--
@Vandellia

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #256 on: September 24, 2012, 07:31:26 PM »
Well, that's slightly less intimidating. But still a really big number :D

(laugh) Think of it as a pat on the back. Hmmmn. Lets see... one comment a minute if you write fast... weekends off... would only take about 9 months to hit them all. But, all joking aside, a measurable fraction of those hits are probably on Titan forums and the official forums, where we use the phrase pretty regularly. A lot of them are probably comments that one or another of us have posted. Still quite an achievement to get enough mentions to generate that kind of number in 3 weeks.

Mr. Wentworth

• Lieutenant
  • "I aim to misbehave..."
    • Real World Hero
« Reply #257 on: September 24, 2012, 11:11:41 PM »
Put quotes around "Save City of Heroes", Rae, that 32 million figure is for individual words. There's only 93,000 mentions of the phrase "Save City of Heroes". You can get to only 93,000... (wink)
...and climbing...97,400 in my browser. We can all feel proud that we have made ourselves heard.

Viridian Surge

• Underling
« Reply #258 on: September 25, 2012, 10:20:10 AM »
Doesn't look like the guys from Penny Arcade have officially commented on the closure of Paragon Studios and City of Heroes, but in one of their forums there has been a steady discussion since 8/31/12.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/166278/cox-breaking-city-of-heroes-is-shutting-down-paragon-studios-closed

Khelben

• Underling
« Reply #259 on: September 25, 2012, 10:44:28 AM »
My interview with a local reporter went very well i thought. I don't know how far the story will go, but it was a start.  Interestingly enough, they allowed my father, who is a reporter at the local newspaper ( which is how the idea even got through to them!) to do the story.  So it should be a very positive one.  I wrote this to my father as a follow up e-mail, it is sickengly optimistic, so i thought i would share it:

Our conversation the other night, and your desire to put a faith and values spin on our city of heroes issue, has had me thinking.  What are the ethics of a super hero? What is it that a super hero would value.  For our shared amusement, and if the ideas help at all, I thought i might share these thoughts. 
  Justice, it is a word used mostly as a synonym for punishment in today's rhetoric.  But to a super hero, justice is a live and active thing.  Justice not only brings punishment to the wicked, but it also brings reward to those who would uphold it.  In my mind, justice is the karma of the super hero world.   Those who actively seek the right and the good can and should expect the right and the good be done to them.  Those who actively seek the wrong or the bad can expect the wrong and the bad to return back to them.  The super hero becomes then not an avenging angel exacting punishment, but rather a civil servant.  Fulfilling a role in actively bringing justice to bear.
  Right and wrong become very real issues to a super hero.  We all know that the world is shades of gray, Questions in morality abound, but the super hero must maintain unto themselves a moral code that allows them to pierce the veil of indesicion or uncertainty.  Not that they don't question their ethics, just the opposite.  A super hero must be able to quickly measure an action against morality, determine its standing, whether right or wrong. 
  Fairness is equally important.  A super hero is one who will not fall prey to pettiness or underhandedness.  If for know other reason than it becomes a slippery slope which could undermine there ethical base upon which they must measure their own deeds.  It is very hard to be a morally questionable super hero.
  The belief in goodness is central to being a super hero.  One must believe there is good in people, good in their world, and that it is something worth supporting if one wishes to be a super hero.  This belief i feel is central to what we players are now doing for our game.  I believe there is good here, in the people who play this game, and that protecting that good is worthwhile.  Our game has become a haven for a super hero ethic that many feel is probably outmoded for the real world.  But it can still flourish, and when you find good, you should strive to protect that good.
  Following the belief in goodness is optimism.  The belief in goodness lends itself to the belief that people can always change, and for the better.  The world can always be a better place, if for the hard work of those who believe in that goodness.  We can and should continue to grow and improve, learn and help others.  This is what helps the good flourish and the bad whither.