Author Topic: Call to Action: Thank the media  (Read 220523 times)

Quinch

Re: Call to Action: Thank the media
« Reply #660 on: January 27, 2013, 05:29:18 AM »
The answer is... maybe. Short version, while the revenue reports show the equivalent of 60K subscribers, VV's sources also pointed to some very fuzzy math when it came to accounting and where purchased points were attributed.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #661 on: January 27, 2013, 05:54:58 AM »
according to the devs, they were bringing in a LOT more money once they switched to the hybrid model

as been said before the game itself was definitely profitable, but ncsoft was prolly putting extra strain on paragon studios with the super sekrit extra project that went nowhere plus prolly filtering off GW2 expenses on to them as well

the game had enough to support itself, but didnt have such a super huge profit margin that it could support all the extra weight

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #662 on: February 13, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Quinch

« Reply #663 on: February 13, 2013, 02:18:01 PM »
Chipped in a comment.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #664 on: February 14, 2013, 03:08:17 AM »
COH has made the 2013 MMO Hall of Fame:

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/5183/20130212/runescape-city-heroes-join-mmo-hall-fame.htm

I posted that to the NCSoft Facebook pages, along with a remark about how great a shame it is NCSoft shut down a game that is still continuing to receive acclaim in the MMO communities.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #665 on: February 14, 2013, 07:51:20 AM »
Kind of funny that City of Villains made the hall of fame in 2005, but City of Heroes makes it in 2013.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #666 on: February 14, 2013, 09:22:52 AM »
heh, honestly ive always kind of considered them one of the same game, even though they were technically seperate originally

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #667 on: February 14, 2013, 01:40:55 PM »
COH has made the 2013 MMO Hall of Fame:

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/5183/20130212/runescape-city-heroes-join-mmo-hall-fame.htm
Thanks, Rae.  I'll post this to SG guildportal.com pages for other fans of CoH to see.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Rae

• Elite Boss
--
@Vandellia

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #669 on: February 21, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »
http://i.massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/20/a-mild-mannered-reporter-the-rocky-road-ahead-for-city-revivals/
That was a nice read, Rae, that otherwise would have escaped my notice.  I kinda even like his skeptical well-wishes  :)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #670 on: March 08, 2013, 12:14:42 AM »
Kind of funny that City of Villains made the hall of fame in 2005, but City of Heroes makes it in 2013.

Us villains will never stop getting the hate, while all you blue fools get all the credit >:(

Brb. Killing counci- wait, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #671 on: March 08, 2013, 08:03:17 PM »
LOL, Waffles!  Yeah, sometimes heroism ain't just for heroes.  Even the Rikti learned to respect not just super heroes but also the Bwahaha Magnificent Villains!!!!!

Crossing a hero may get you in trouble and some jail time, but crossing a villain often has more permanent repercussions.   :P

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #672 on: April 01, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »
Not specifically for us, but the comments are already showing a lot of CoH love.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/01/the-daily-grind-which-mmo-has-that-indefinable-it/
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #673 on: April 07, 2013, 12:27:12 PM »
http://i.massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/20/a-mild-mannered-reporter-the-rocky-road-ahead-for-city-revivals/

Well, its the usual "I dont think this is gonna work."

If you listen to this mindset, nothing anywhere will get done ever. Why do anything? It might fail. It might succeed, but it MIGHT fail. So let's do nothing instead.

<<sigh of annoyance>>

I would think anything NOT part of the general fantasy-themed MMORPG juggernaut might get interest from players. There is basically one thing out there: fantasy MMOs, with the odd EVEOnline and CO thrown in for variety. Are we the only ones sick and tired of this one flavor? Really?....??

Crossing a hero may get you in trouble and some jail time, but crossing a villain often has more permanent repercussions.

Sig-worthy, baby.

Rae

• Elite Boss
--
@Vandellia

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #676 on: April 11, 2013, 01:30:27 AM »
A heartbreaking read.

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #677 on: April 11, 2013, 08:35:05 AM »
Kotaku's even picked up the story

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #678 on: April 11, 2013, 05:38:01 PM »
definitely a lot of coh news floating around

it does suck that the studio was on the edge of a buyout but things just didnt work out

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #679 on: April 12, 2013, 12:09:44 AM »
Tony actually just started a new thread about a new article from OnRPG.com. Ironically, it's a piece on how there's suddenly all this talk about CoH, again. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."