Author Topic: Call to Action: Thank the media  (Read 220542 times)

Profit

• Boss
Re: Call to Action: Thank the media
« Reply #640 on: January 24, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »
Some the writers facts are wrong. He says that Marvel and "Paragon Studios" were working together on a Marvel MMO.

But other than that, standard stuff.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #641 on: January 24, 2013, 07:43:44 PM »
Wow!  Thank you, Rae, Quinch, LGF (Little Green Frog), Lily, et al for these links!!  It's really heartening to read these and know that others into MMORPG are discussing this.  Whether NCSoft (and others) has the wit (read: intelligence) to keep abreast of this, I don't know.  I feel that NCSoft upper management is not only insular but rather disconnected even from their field and presumed area of expertise. (Yes, I know my gift for stating the obvious is rarely matched. *pokes fun at self*)  Have a great day!!   ;D
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #642 on: January 24, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »
Agreed...not only do we KNOW there's shenanigans afoot there involving NCSoft, but we assuredly have them on the defensive....

Just my opinion, but, at this point, it's time to say 'screw whatever they think they can do to us', and open up with every remaining gun we've got...there's blood in the water, ladies and gentlemen...time to FINISH this.   >:(

...if anyone's got any proverbial nukes left in the arsenal...let 'em fly!!

You sayin' it's time to use the 'nades and acids from the Lambda Sector Incarnate trials?   ;)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #643 on: January 24, 2013, 08:01:50 PM »
http://www.parablegames.net/site/2013/01/post-mortem-city-of-heroes-city-of-villains/
I really like Sam Connolly's article tho I don't see an easy way to add a comment thanking him, or to note that Going Rogue also allowed for Villains to redeem themselves; in fact, I had many friends experience via G.R. the "fall of a hero" and his/her subsequent redemption.  I'd never gotten around to experiencing this for myself, despite having a copious number of characters.  Thank for you the article link, Rae!   :)

P.S.  Thank-you also to those posting the CoH articles written in French.  We may not be viral but we're global!   ;)

Quinch

« Reply #644 on: January 25, 2013, 03:03:31 AM »
A sort of a roundabout connection from the great folks at Massively - an article about CoH articles.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/24/ask-massively-we-dont-need-another-hero/

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #646 on: January 25, 2013, 08:33:06 AM »
Can't even get the most basic of facts straight.

Which facts were misreported?  I started CoH play 5/2010, playing essentially non-stop (practically daily, nightly too for many hours) until game shutdown.  The facts reported, e.g. City of Heroes beginning 8 months prior to the initial launch of World of Warcraft and other facts accord with what I've read and retained from what longtime fans and players have reported here on Titan and other forums.  Mr. Connolly notes the uniqueness of the Character Creator - as so many of us have noted here and other forums.  He provides subscription numbers during the life of CoH, numbers I've not seen reported before (or if so, do not recall.)  CoV was well established when I started under Issue 15; I'd not read/heard prior to his article http://www.parablegames.net/site/2013/01/post-mortem-city-of-heroes-city-of-villains/ that CoV characters max'ed out at level 40 initially, even when the max for Hero characters/blueside avatars was 50.  I am merely curious about the facts which are in error, but do not wish V.V. or anyone to take time from more pressing matters to satisfy my curiosity in this matter (e.g. urging Stephen Colbert's Colbert Nation to champion our cause.)

Quoting the source article:  " ...what it did have was a plethora of interesting and novel features as well as a decent standalone identity in a world, where the MMO market mostly consisted of sword and spells RPG archtypes" and "All that aside the closure notice was met with quite a vocal backlash from the active community of the game and those who loved it, protests were staged in the games major city in Atlas Park under the statue of one of the games flagship characters. Players petitioned and pleaded with NCSoft not to shut down the title and even went so far as to raise money to treat everyone who worked for Paragon out for dinner." and "City of Heroes was a unique game in a very competitive market, not only did it stray away from the comfort of the swords and spells RPG but it attempted to do things its own way, whilst that way may not have been for everyone in a game marketplace where the WoW model was considered the most suitable and most profitable it managed to stay alive, and much longer than most games these days do before shutting down. With 42 million characters created and a lot of game time logged for some people, this is a title that will obviously be missed by some."  Okay, he could have omitted that concluding "by some" to just "obviously be missed" IMO, but overall I feel Mr. Connolly accurately captured and told our story and saga.  /em holdtorch

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #647 on: January 25, 2013, 08:42:44 AM »
A sort of a roundabout connection from the great folks at Massively - an article about CoH articles.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/24/ask-massively-we-dont-need-another-hero/

Agreed, Quinch, and YAY! Massively not only for that article in its entirety but especially this: "don't presume to dictate the terms of other people's mourning by instructing them to "get over it already." It's probably bad form to add insult to injury by telling them their grief is fake, too, and that you wish more grief upon a couple hundred thousand other fellow gamers.  Because that would be pathetic."  IMO, there's no "probably" about the bad form implicit in telling another that grief and grieving for City of Heroes is in any way fake.  Besides, we know otherwise.

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #648 on: January 25, 2013, 09:27:13 AM »
Which facts were misreported?

Victoria (I would assume) posted in the comments section of the link if you check it out.

I would have pointed out that the writer lists a 200k population as our lowest point when that's a bit closer to our highest ever.

I'm not sure where he got the 500k figure from.

I understand the F2P hybrid model made it difficult to accurately weigh the amount of players left, but many people thought that over 80k was probably exaggeration of the population (albeit mostly a strong player base to keep the game profitable).

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #649 on: January 25, 2013, 09:40:18 AM »
Victoria (I would assume) posted in the comments section of the link if you check it out.

I would have pointed out that the writer lists a 200k population as our lowest point when that's a bit closer to our highest ever.

I understand the F2P hybrid model made it difficult to accurately weigh the amount of players left, but many people thought that over 80k was probably exaggeration of the population (albeit mostly a strong player base to keep the game profitable).
Thank you!  This was entirely my oversight.  Thanks!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #650 on: January 25, 2013, 10:29:39 AM »

At the high point in the game it had about 500k according to my sources at Paragon.  Also according to those sources, at shutdown we were operating with about 100k, a bit up from a low of 80k before F2P.  Of those 100k, 40k were subscription, 40k were Freemium and 20k were F2P.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #651 on: January 25, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »
Which facts were misreported?
The parts that immediately jumped out at me were when he mentioned things like Paragon working on the Marvel MMO.  He seems to be very confused about what happened when Paragon split from Cryptic and who was working on what after the split.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #652 on: January 25, 2013, 10:38:23 PM »
You sayin' it's time to use the 'nades and acids from the Lambda Sector Incarnate trials?   ;)

Hmm...not a bad idea....   8)

But seriously, we have them entirely on the defensive, their stock is going down faster than a bad French souffle, and I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if Wildstar is d.o.a...we have them right where we want them...it'd be folly to NOT try and finish them off in one fell swoop!

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #653 on: January 26, 2013, 12:22:30 AM »
I always tell people who say "It's just a game" I say "Star wars just a movie."  I'm not trying to save a game, I'm trying to save a franchise.  Am updated to address "it's old", City of Heroes 2 were destroyed, no more comics (often showing a comic), Nothing it as if everything Star Wars would be locked away for good.  I'm not fighting to save a Game, I'm fighting to save the IP the franchise that could do so much more then one single game.

One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #654 on: January 26, 2013, 12:51:39 AM »

Another great article from the folks at Massively. Not a huge display of love in the comments...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #655 on: January 26, 2013, 01:39:09 AM »
At the high point in the game it had about 500k according to my sources at Paragon.  Also according to those sources, at shutdown we were operating with about 100k, a bit up from a low of 80k before F2P.  Of those 100k, 40k were subscription, 40k were Freemium and 20k were F2P.

I had fairly recently, within a few months, gotten a friend to play the game before it was canceled and she was enjoying it (F2P).  I was thinking of paying for something for her so she'd have more access to stuff, but then the game ended.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #656 on: January 26, 2013, 01:39:35 AM »

Another great article from the folks at Massively. Not a huge display of love in the comments...

bit late to the punch lol, look towards top of page, quinch posted that article yesterday lol

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #657 on: January 26, 2013, 02:55:30 PM »
bit late to the punch lol, look towards top of page, quinch posted that article yesterday lol

Sorry. I wish I could say I'm usually better about that, but it does seem to be happening more, lately. It was a very busy day for me yesterday, I guess. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Quinch

« Reply #658 on: January 26, 2013, 02:56:57 PM »
Heh, don't worry about it.

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #659 on: January 27, 2013, 05:25:17 AM »

Wow, thank you very much for those numbers.

I've got a question: Was 80k subscribers more profitable than 40k subscribers + online store?

If that were so, the game was much more alive than I thought. Having the equivalent to 100k+ subscribers is kind of a big deal. I would definitely spread that around. "Profitable" is one thing, "+100k players and profitable" is another (If that were the case).