Author Topic: Call To Action: Get the word out  (Read 125222 times)

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
Re: Call To Action: Get the word out
« Reply #240 on: September 06, 2012, 01:31:16 AM »
Wonderful letter there, Vulpy!  *thumbs up*

...also, you're from Tennessee, too??   ;D

I was actually kicking myself for not mentioning the petition, or the fans offering to buy the IP from NCsoft outright if that's what it took... But what's done is done.

And, yes. I'm in the far northeastern corner of Tennessee--depending on traffic, I could drive to Detroit before I could drive to Memphis.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #241 on: September 06, 2012, 02:57:39 AM »
Interesting little thing I've noticed in game: many people are starting to say things like, "IF the game shuts down".  My supergroup channel's MotD reads:  "Be sure to post your email on the website to keep in contact if the game shuts down"

Everyone is starting recognize the possibility of this.  Morale is a powerful thing.

Heavy Ion

• Minion
« Reply #242 on: September 06, 2012, 03:22:30 AM »
I emailed io9 (sci/fi, science, and tech blog in the Gawker network) about our plight. It's sister site about gaming, Kotaku, might seem better suited for the story, but I think the human element of this is more compelling and more likely to generate interest outside the gaming world. io9 has a little broader cross section of society in their readership than Kotaku so...fingers crossed they'll deem this newsworthy.

I definitely applaud trying to get this story on This American Life's radar. This seems like the kind of thing that would baffle them enough to want to learn more about it, and I think we need to reach out to people who don't entirely understand what we're trying to save. Years ago, before I knew what an MMO even was, I read an article about people rioting in Ultima Online. The main thing I took away from that was there was a virtual world, inhabited by real people who were trying to change something, and that was damn fascinating to me. Now, so many years later, I'm a converted and impassioned MMO player trying to do the the same thing. Damn you, fate.

Gunaro

• Underling
« Reply #243 on: September 06, 2012, 03:34:25 AM »
I sent a message to Ian McConville and Matt Boyd.  They run a beautiful webcomic named Three Panel Soul and used to run one called 'Mac Hall". I know they were players once upon a time.

Every little bit helps, right? And if you're curious about their stuff, check on this comic...beautiful....

http://machall.com/view.php?date=2006-04-07

judaschrist

• Minion
« Reply #244 on: September 06, 2012, 09:31:41 AM »
just wanted to let everyone know, don't forget comic book stores!
i'm lucky enough to be friends with someone who works at one, and is an avid CoX'er with lifetime subscription. anyway, i had him post the link to the petition on the store's facebook page and website. even if we get only a handful of sig's from people outside the community, it was all worth the effort. if nothing else, maybe try to go and "cold sell" our cause to people at the store. even the slightest bump on a website or facebook page will come in handy! :)
(sorry if this was mentioned before. just kinda breezed through al....ok..MOST of the posts...ok ok!...the first couple pages. lol)

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #245 on: September 06, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »
just wanted to let everyone know, don't forget comic book stores!
i'm lucky enough to be friends with someone who works at one, and is an avid CoX'er with lifetime subscription. anyway, i had him post the link to the petition on the store's facebook page and website. even if we get only a handful of sig's from people outside the community, it was all worth the effort. if nothing else, maybe try to go and "cold sell" our cause to people at the store. even the slightest bump on a website or facebook page will come in handy! :)
(sorry if this was mentioned before. just kinda breezed through al....ok..MOST of the posts...ok ok!...the first couple pages. lol)

I have a comic shop to visit this weekend! Thanks for the idea.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

judaschrist

• Minion
« Reply #246 on: September 06, 2012, 11:10:51 AM »
also, just as a thought. take it and run with it as you wish, but i've posted the petition link on my facebook. letting others who might not play or even be a gamer, "if you've always wanted to be a superhero, THIS is your chance!".

remind them that they might have a favorite superhero, or villain, anti-hero, whatever. or point out how much they loved (insert comic book movie here). trying to connect with people on a more personal level, get's them a bit more motivated to do something.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #247 on: September 06, 2012, 01:36:23 PM »
Has anyone thought of asking Harry Knowles at Aint it Cool News?
He seems to delve in everything entertainment related, DVDs,comics,toys, etc..

Just a thought, I already sent my letters to NCsoft and signed the petition.

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #248 on: September 06, 2012, 02:00:54 PM »
I'm hesitant to mention it (if no one else has), but has anyone thought about making the rounds of the various *chans and dropping posts about our fight on their video game/MMO boards?  "Hive of scum and villainy" and that (many of them anyway, not to mention the stomping grounds of a multitude of internet tough guys who like to rag on anything just to try and get a rise from people), but it might be one way to help get the word out directly to some gamers if we tread carefully.
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #249 on: September 06, 2012, 02:20:17 PM »
Holy cow, the petition has 13.5k signatures on it now. I'm sat here watching the number go up by the minute.

It's awesome :)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #250 on: September 06, 2012, 03:08:11 PM »
Holy cow, the petition has 13.5k signatures on it now. I'm sat here watching the number go up by the minute.

It's awesome :)

I actually asked a co-worker who has never played to sign it as a favor for me.  "You owe me" she growled as she signed it.  :D  At this point, I'm doing my best to think of anyone I can get to sign it.
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #251 on: September 06, 2012, 03:45:16 PM »
I got a reply from Robert Peeler (Community Manager for Square Enix) via Square Enix Member message, he said he knew a few of the Devs from Paragon Studios, so this decision to close Paragon studios holds a little more weight for him.

As for square enix acquiring the IP, they don't have any plans for it at the moment, but if it changes (hopefully) they'll post it on the site.

I'm constantly praying for our success in some form, I want CoX in another publishers hands at least. Having the game live would be enough for me, and probably a lot of us. If we can get the Dev team back also, that would be even better.

Omega Mk V, out.
- Omega Mk. V

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #252 on: September 06, 2012, 04:00:15 PM »
I got a reply from Robert Peeler (Community Manager for Square Enix) via Square Enix Member message, he said he knew a few of the Devs from Paragon Studios, so this decision to close Paragon studios holds a little more weight for him.
If nothing else, at least you've just endorsed any Paragon developer who might be looking for a new job at Square Enix.  I'm sure they'll appreciate that.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

frostcoh

• Minion
« Reply #253 on: September 06, 2012, 04:39:19 PM »
After almost a week I would have thought my drive to save COH would have abated....somehow it's getting stronger.  I'll be certifying some more letters on Friday and next Monday.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #254 on: September 06, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »
After almost a week I would have thought my drive to save COH would have abated....somehow it's getting stronger.  I'll be certifying some more letters on Friday and next Monday.

Good to hear.  I love this game more than ever and saving it is taking up every free second I have.  I don't plan on changing that.

Heraclea

• Minion
« Reply #255 on: September 06, 2012, 05:02:09 PM »
I have added a brief notice of the fact that efforts are underway to keep the game going to the Production History section in the Wikipedia article, referenced to Massively.  This is probably as good as it's going to get in terms of Wikipedia coverage unless and until major non-blog-type media get involved.  Being somewhat invested in this, it's hard to be impartial.  There was a longer section added earlier, with links to the petition pages and such, that was reverted and got the page semi-protected; you can't edit it unless you've opened an account and have it open for some time.  Please read the talk page and history if you want to get involved in editing the article.  Anyone can leave a message on talk.

jccianca

• Underling
« Reply #256 on: September 06, 2012, 05:12:08 PM »
Did anybody think about Kevin Smith. I mean, he is a huge celebrity, he owns a comicbook store and I bet he knows about CoH. I think we can give it a Try to contact him.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #257 on: September 06, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »
I have added a brief notice of the fact that efforts are underway to keep the game going to the Production History section in the Wikipedia article, referenced to Massively.  This is probably as good as it's going to get in terms of Wikipedia coverage unless and until major non-blog-type media get involved.  Being somewhat invested in this, it's hard to be impartial.  There was a longer section added earlier, with links to the petition pages and such, that was reverted and got the page semi-protected; you can't edit it unless you've opened an account and have it open for some time.  Please read the talk page and history if you want to get involved in editing the article.  Anyone can leave a message on talk.
Nice work, Heraclea.  Thanks for the assist.   :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Hypermace

• Underling
« Reply #258 on: September 06, 2012, 05:44:37 PM »
Hey guys I don't know if this has been mentioned but remember to reach out to all of your gamer friends. I don't care if you play WOW, SWTOR, GW, GW2, TSW hell Modern warfare 3 and Halo this could happen to them all a game can be stopped on a whim and we should all get together as a gaming community to stop this from becoming a common scene. If we stop this now we can show big business that games can be so much more thant just a sub each month. We are all pationate let's use that to get the other gmaers involved.

Hypermace

• Underling
« Reply #259 on: September 06, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »
SO i have started getting the word out by replying to any and all gaming FB uploads from other games letting them know that I cannot play as I am busy saving COH a pioneer in the superpowered MMO genre and a game worth saving. Is this ok or should I cease this ?