Author Topic: Mid's not working at all  (Read 8361 times)

Apex Viper

• Minion
Mid's not working at all
« on: July 28, 2012, 10:17:12 AM »
I have had Mid's for a long time and am just getting used to it. With the last 2 updates, it no longer works. When I click finish, with or without checking the open Mid's box when complete, I get an error message saying the file isn't found. I have completely removed it from my computer and reinstalled it twice now.There is no change. I tried it on my desktop pc and get the same error. Any suggestions on why this is happening or what i can do to fix the problem?
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

Diellan

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
Re: Mid's not working at all
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 05:27:11 PM »
I have had Mid's for a long time and am just getting used to it. With the last 2 updates, it no longer works. When I click finish, with or without checking the open Mid's box when complete, I get an error message saying the file isn't found. I have completely removed it from my computer and reinstalled it twice now.There is no change. I tried it on my desktop pc and get the same error. Any suggestions on why this is happening or what i can do to fix the problem?

Bizarre. There was a problem with 1.959, but that was fixed with 1.960. Can you screenshot the message or something?

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 11:21:42 PM »
I am new to using this forum and couldn't get the image to attach. The error box says "The system cannot find the file specified"
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

Diellan

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 02:23:30 AM »
I am new to using this forum and couldn't get the image to attach. The error box says "The system cannot find the file specified"

I'd say uninstall it and then manually delete the folder. And use http://repo.cohtitan.com/mids_updates/exe/MXDSetup1-960.exe , as the link was bad a bit ago.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 04:09:21 AM »
I'd say uninstall it and then manually delete the folder.
With the caveat that if your character data is also saved in that folder that you move that somewhere safe first. ;)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 03:57:10 PM »
So...I did exactly what you said and nope...same message.

Diellan

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »
So...I did exactly what you said and nope...same message.

I'm really stumped here. What version of windows are you running?

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 11:51:28 PM »
Vista Home Premium 64 bit

cybermitheral

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »
Here is what I did to resolve this issue (http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,4825.msg43618.html#msg43618)

I renamed the D:\Program Files (x86)\Titan Network\Mids Hero Designer\mhd.mhz as indicated in the screen prompt and tried again but no luck.
I renamed the "Titan Network" folder, renamed my "Hero & Villain Builds" folder (in Documents) and ran the install from the Internet (didnt download the file first) to my original location.
I then renamed the "Hero & Villain Builds" back and ran Mids and it worked.

I looked at both my original Mids folder and the newly installed one and the new folder does NOT have the mhd.mhz file at all.

monkeyslap

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 09:45:10 PM »
Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Have you thought about upgrading to Windows 7? It's pretty much the same as Vista only much better.

I have a suspicion of what might be the problem but I could be wrong. User Account Control in Windows. When I first installed CoH I was getting an error when every time I updated the game to the new patch. I found out the UAC was preventing it from writing files to the proper folder.

There are 2 things I can think of that you can try:
1) Click your the Windows icon to open the start menu. Type in the search box 'UAC' and click it in the list. Turn UAC completely off.

2) If you don't want to turn the UAC off then choose a different directory to install Mids' to. The problem is when installing to the default location the UAC is preventing certain files from changing/being added. Just create a folder somewhere other than Program Files and when installing Mids' choose that folder to install to.

One thing I have noticed is when you uninstall Mids's it does NOT remove the folder with your saved builds. The folder with the saved builds is by default in the Windows Documents folder. For Windows 7, and I imagine Vista as well, it's located in: "C:/Users/(user name)/My Documents/Hero&Villain Builds" (it shows up in Mids's options as "C:/Users/(user name)/Documents/Hero&Villain Builds")

You can change the default save location for your builds also. Click 'Options' in Mids' then click the 'Updates & Paths' tab. Click 'Browse' where it says 'Default Save Location' and select a new location. (You could move the default folder with the saved builds and just point Mids' to its new location.)