Author Topic: Transitioning from DPL to Semantic Mediawiki  (Read 2915 times)

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Transitioning from DPL to Semantic Mediawiki
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:32:49 PM »
Our wiki uses DPL very extensively. Unfortunately, DPL has some serious limitations and issues. Very similar functionality is also provided by another extension: Semantic Mediawiki (SMW). This extension allows us to do what we're currently doing with DPL in a much more direct and clear way. The extension is also more stable, more widely used, and in many ways more powerful.

We are thus deprecating support for DPL on the Paragon Wiki, and we have the goal of transitioning to Semantic Mediawiki. There's no timeline for the transition, though of course "sooner" is preferred to "later". I'll be chipping away at transitioning us to the new extension as I can. Others are of course welcome to help as well if they are interested.

Please try to avoid adding any new DPL to the wiki if you can avoid it. If you need something that is normally handled by DPL and can't figure out how to do it without DPL, please ask! It's not the end of the world if more DPL gets used, but it creates that much more work that needs to be handled before we can turn DPL off.

And to answer the question before it gets asked: No, DPL won't get turned off until we're reasonably sure we've stopped using it across the wiki. There's no plan to break any content by turning it off prematurely.

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
Re: Transitioning from DPL to Semantic Mediawiki
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 04:00:42 AM »
na, I was just gonna ask why you were turning the lights out...
(Dayton Power & Light)
and using an AV
(Semantic)
as a powersource.
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 04:33:30 AM »
One thing that DPL does that SMW doesn't is that it lets you transclude just sections of an article. I found and installed a different extension that does just that:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Labeled_Section_Transclusion
You can transclude specific sections. Or you can define custom labeled sections in the page, and then transclude those labeled sections.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 02:21:53 PM »
One thing that DPL does that SMW doesn't is that it lets you transclude just sections of an article. I found and installed a different extension that does just that:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Labeled_Section_Transclusion
You can transclude specific sections. Or you can define custom labeled sections in the page, and then transclude those labeled sections.
Mmmm.  Yes, I like that.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »
While we're at it... I'd like to kill a pet peeve and remove all those instances of "For a list of this enemy's powers, check their section on the enemy group's page!" and then they aren't even listed on the enemy group page or whatever.

For a list of an entity's powers, we should just be transcluding the list of powers from the enemy group pages where available. There's no sense in putting a link to the section instead of just transcluding the entire section.